Diversity

Is Bojack Horseman doing it right, or does it feel like pandering to you?

Makes sense in character, hinted at but not expressly stated until relevant and allowed Todd to become a person before it was touched on. Done right.

Ace here and I think they did it perfect by holding off until the last episode and never saying it directly. A lot of writers who try shit like this make the character's sexual orientation their defining attribute, but with Todd it was more like a last-minute explanation of why he never had a romance subplot like basically every other character.

Also the thing with Bojack trying to set him and Emily up and Todd trying to slip out of it without playing the minority card was familiar and relatable.

There's no real right way to do it. If it's shit it's shit, if it isn't it isn't
>Ace

>Ace
I hate that fucking word.
Trying to make it sound all cool and hip.

Sexuality is personal shouldn't be a damned badge of honour, regardless of what type you are.

It fits todd because he's never really had many (if any) romantic/sexual plots until s3- he's mostly been the unattached comedic relief. That said, I think that made season 3 a little heavier feeling than the past ones. I think he works better as a comedic relief in one-off plots (e.g. getting lost in the hallways in ep 1) than in an emotional or romantic subplot.

Well it's a little late for that when people decided we needed a straight pride day...

I think it's just to be short hand.
So do you literally have no sexual impulses or do you just not want sexual relations?

Goddammit, you fucking kids and your new memes.

First kino, now this?

What's wrong with the old memes?

I thought it was a way to fuck with the shippers.

If you like the show, it did it right, if you don't, it did it wrong. That simple.

I thought it was done well but it ruined me shipping him with qt tsundere mouse girl from season 2.

It was too late to make me sympathize for him
fuck him

Haha yes if I ever make something that becomes popular with shippers (never) I will retro actively tell them every character that didn't have a romance plot was asexual huehuehue

>shouldn't be a damned badge of honour, regardless of what type you are.
>meanwhile there's decades of media about straight guys bragging about how great fucking women makes them

>>meanwhile there's decades of media about straight guys bragging about how great fucking women makes them
That's action.
People can be proud of action.
No one should ever have pride for WHAT they are. Only what they do.

Arguably, this was lampshaded in the very first episode, when BoJack says to Todd:

"You told me they didn't approve of your 'alternative lifestyle.' I thought you were, like, a troubled gay teen or something. I didn't realize by 'alternative lifestyle' that you meant you were lazy."

Because apparently there needs to be recognition of people who don't want to fuck people so they can get asexual rights like.....

I really don't care about diversity so if it's there I wouldn't notice until someone else were to bring it up
I'm actually getting kinda sick of having a need for diversity rather just allowing it be included naturally

>No one should
But for literal centuries people have been. Pride that they were born into a rich family, or born straight, or born white, or born male. If you haven't been around for any of human history, that would explain being ignorant to the literally millions of rich white men that took pride in the fact that they were born into an easy life. There's a reason that minorities try to take pride in who they are, because pride is extremely empowering. Because those rich dick heads were better off being proud than being, I dunno, let's say, Bojack Horseman.

Well that's the question here. Does Bojack Horseman include it in a way that is natural?

>So do you literally have no sexual impulses or do you just not want sexual relations?

More or less what Todd said. You don't know if it's real, or if you just haven't found the right person. You just know that in cases where someone wants to push something to a sexual relationship you feel more comfortable keeping it a "just friends" thing. Then they start feeling this sense of betrayal like they did something wrong or weren't good enough for you, and before you know it you have to find some label to slap on yourself to let the person know it's not their fault and keep them from spiraling into feelings of inadequacy.

If I'm not likely to see the person regularly, sometimes I just tell women I'm gay and men I'm straight because it's easier.

>these assholes are doing something
>better do it too!

Just because someone else is doing it, doesn't mean you should too.

Yes, there's decades - let's be honest here, a few centuries - of guys bragging about who they banged, but that doesn't mean that we SHOULD have had those years.

Also;
>implying that Bojack isn't a rich dick head

I'm not sure how one can distinguish between artificial diversity and natural diversity. Two people can look at the same examples and come to different conclusions.

The assholes aren't going to stop doing it, and as I said, being proud beats the alternative.

Also yes he's a dickhead, but I wouldn't say he's proud. Desperate to have something that he's really proud of yes, but not proud of who he is, not proud of his race, gender, or sexual orientation, or anything else that has to do with being born.

>being proud beats the alternative.
Not really.
Being a better person is the alternative to taking pride in things you have no control over.
It's understandable to want a cheap way to feel good about yourself.
But it don't make it good or right.

>if these assholes get to do it, we want some of that gravy too.

It's not really diversity, Todd just is a weird dude. Generally people that say that they aren't interested in either sex though are clinically depressed.

As a person who is hypersexual, I can confirm this. It is very easy to let someone not being sexually attracted to you mess with your head, and the label "asexual" has helped me not be a whiny egocentric shit about not being wanted.

>assholes are doing it
>so I should join in
user, your mother has asked me to remind you that just because the cool kids are having sex, doing drugs, and jumping off of cliffs to their certain death, that doesn't mean you should too.

we've had threads where diversity was brought up with shows like clearance or steven universe, ect in which they shove it in your face like "look at how different everyone is, everyone is diverse, we appeal to everyone"

shows like bojack horseman tell their stories and do it to be as natural as it can be while casually including diverse characters whether they are of different ethnicities or types of animals

I like it better when the focus is more on the characters and overall story than sterotyping certain types of diverse characters and just throwing them into a show just for the sake of diversity

>hypersexual
I want the special snowflakes to leave

Let's put it another way. Pride is the opposite of shame. If you feel shame about who you were born as, that can really mess with you and make it harder to be a better person. So for a lot of those people who feel shame for who they are, it is extremely helpful to instead take pride in that thing. Sure maybe as we grow and develop as people, that pride should change to simply acceptance, but in the mean time, pride helps a lot more for digging out of a hole.

I mean there is a biological reason for that man. You're continuing your bloodline and because of that your legacy is safe.

Your just a person who was born retarded.

I thought the opposite of being prideful is being humble.

>I am literally equating being proud to sex, drugs, and suicide.
Not sure if you understand what pride is. Have you never been proud before? That is profoundly sad.

If I was a special snowflake I would be a tripfag. I was just pointing out that I am someone who is comfortable having sex with a complete stranger, while asexual people don't or have yet to want sex.

>I literally do not understand metaphors
That is profoundly sad.

Remember, humble is another way to say humility, as in to be humiliated. If you believe in balance, both are important.

>I make shitty metaphors thinking they are profound, and when people point out a glaring flaw I claim they don't get it.
That is profoundly sad.

The similarities between the worlds "humble" and "humility" and, "humiliation" are non-consequential.
The meaning of "humiliation" has long since passed meaning "being made to feel humility".

It's like how "awful" doesn't mean to evoke awe anymore.

>I can't think of any argument so I'd better try and attack them personally!
>I will also put words in people's mouths to make myself seem smart
That is profoundly sad.

The point stands however. Just because someone else does it doesn't mean it's right, nor that you should.

Yeah, that's correct.

It's the difference between being proud of yourself, and being full of yourself. Don't be ASHAMED of your sexuality, whatever it may be, but at the same time, don't be full of pride because of it. That being said, I totally understand when people say 'I'm x and I'm proud of it', because they actually mean 'I'm not ashamed of being x'.

This is the gayest fucking argument.

It's like saying that it's wrong to call homosexuals gay because it's "too hip".

You're a slut you mean

So you're talking about yourself with that greentext, right?

Literally every good thing we do these days as humans is because someone else did it and it turned out to be a good thing. Your argument is literally, "just because someone else has a positive experience by doing something doesn't mean it's good." which is true in principle, but also ignores how our society has grown and developed into something bigger and better than what it was before. You are not providing any actual proof for why it is bad to feel proud of who you are, just repeating that it might not be good, and using an incredibly cliched saying to reinforce it. Doubt is not equivalent to proof.

Sure I'm fine with being called a slut too. Hypersexual is a bit more specific though, since I don't really dress up in revealing outfits or go out clubbing or other slut related stereotypes.

>So you're talking about yourself with that greentext, right?
Still can't come up with your own argument I see. Shit, that really is profoundly depressing.

Your argument is still just 'They do it, so why shouldn't we?' You're not providing any argument other than you want to feel the way they did, while at the same time, admonishing them for doing it in the first place. You want to stand up and scream 'I love cock!'? Go ahead. You have every right to.

But don't hide behind excuses if you're going to do it. Don't say you're doing it because we've had decades of people standing up and shouting about how they're straight, and now it's your turn. Certainly don't bad mouth the same people, while you do it.

The user originally said that sexuality shouldn't be a badge of honour, regardless of who you like to fuck, or don't like to fuck. In response the argument was literally just, 'Well, THEY got to do it!' user said it's dumb, and should never have been the case, and the only rebuttal was,'Yes, but it does happen, so Im going to do it too!'

That doesn't change that it's dumb, or shouldn't have happened. It's just side stepping the issue that user raised entirely;that it shouldn't be that way. Instead of attempting to change things, you've opted to just continue them, while still complaining that it happened.

You want to scream and shout, tell us how proud you are of something you have no choice over? Good for you. It's dumb, and has always been dumb, but go ahead. But don't say you're doing it because someone else did it before you. You're doing it because YOU want to. Doesn't stop it being stupid.

>too hip
Look at grandpa over here

that's called a nymphomaniac