Disney to Reboot "The Rocketeer" With Black Female Lead

>comicbookresources.com/article/disney-to-reboot-the-rocketeer-with-black-female-lead
>"The Rocketeers," a "sequel-reboot" of 1991's "The Rocketeer," is officially in development at Disney. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the new franchise will be headlined by a black female lead character.

Why is this bait-and-switch happening with everything now? Can't people come up with their own characters rather than replacing pre-existing ones to fit some agenda?

Other urls found in this thread:

comicbookresources.com/article/rocketeers-10-actresses-ready-to-take-flight-disney-reboot/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Sounds good to me. Hopefully it'll be good.

It seems to be a team, so it doesn't bother me all that much. Although it really depends on when it is set. If it is still set in WWII then it would bug me.

Reminder to the mods that ROCKETEER IS ADAPTED FROM A 1982 COMIC BOOK.

I think it'll be OK. I can't see them trying to make feminism a toxic part of the marketing like Ghostbusters did.

It's six years after the war. The bad guys are commies.

So instead of hiding it for Cliff to find, the thugs who stole it will just use it?

They don't read threads, just posts m8.

This thread is dead on arrival.

I'll only be happy if they bring back Billy Campbell.

That's exactly what they did. It's not a reboot, it's a sequel. Whoever wrote the article goofed.

Well maybe a soft reboot but mainly a sequel.

I'm ok with that then. Order 9981 was issued in 48 and racial outlooks were changing.

Will she keep the broom-handle Mauser or opt for more contemporary weaponry?

The only tragedy is it wasn't done before Jennifer Connelly got her breast reduction surgery.

I remember the original feeling a lot like a Proto Captain America. Also it was the best of the three 90s pulp films.

Well if its set in 1951 they will probably keep the WW2 era weapons.

Did they not just notice Ghostbusters flopping hard? Just rape mine and others childhoods and lose an ass ton of money on it, Disney.

Well unlike Sony, Disney has a metric fuckton of money to burn, so they can afford a flop.

Last I heard it's a sequel.

Joe Johnston directed both Rocketeer and the first Cap movie.

Somewhere there's an alternate universe where The Rocketeer, The Shadow and The Phantom all led to long-running franchises.

I'd imagine they'd switch to mostly American weapons like the 1911 or possibly a submachine gun like the Reising or Thompson.

Personally I'd like to see them, assuming it is in fact a team and not a single person, each have different weapons.

Artillery Luger when?!

I'm so excited for this.

yeah the Rocketeer has been missing for however long and this new girl goes to find him and there's a commie conspiracy and fighting and all that good stuff

yeah the Rocketeer always needed a sequel, there's no way this can't possibly be pandering

I hope they bring Joe Johnston back.

Speaking of The Shadow, Orson Welles actually wanted to make a Shadow movie after he was done with Citizen Kane

>there's no way this can't possibly be pandering

A Rocketeer continuation is in and of itself pandering. It's the reason it's happening at all. Disney's been considering it since they noticed the cult following.

And now the only Shadow movie we have is a Baldwin affair.

Truly, Ellie, we are in the worst of all possible universes.

and yet nobody will watch this because this isnt the kind of bullshit people wanted. Theyve learned nothing from Ghostbusters. Fans of it wanted a proper follow up, not a diversity nostalgia cash in

I mean, who is the audience for this?

Black people? they wont give a shit and even if they did thats not gonna make bank alone.

SJW's? they are a tiny minority, even if they pack all their fat asses into a theater to "prove people wrong"

fans of the original and/or the comics wont see it

And most of the general populace wont see it either because you know full well its going to be shit and look like shit. Just like Ghostbusters did.

And it's gonna have a super inflated budget with loads of crap CGI, China will probably ban it, and I dont think Europe will care.

its gonna bomb like Feministbusters

>tfw they could have made it diverse while still maintaining suspension of disbelief by going with historical accuracy and involving the Tuskegee airmen, who were actual black fighter pilots in WW2

>lolno lets make it a black female pilot because those existed in the 1940s, surely that will be a perfect replacement superhero

These people don't get that Whites and Browns still outnumber all the Blacks in this country. Mexicans should be the ones cast in these remake crap fest.

comicbookresources.com/article/rocketeers-10-actresses-ready-to-take-flight-disney-reboot/

Thoughts on this list?

My guess is they're tying her to the WASPs and going for a marketing twofer that'll let Disney shill the Fifinellas from the unfinished Gremlins project (which Disney gave the unit as a mascot) as a "Girl Power" merchandising symbol.

my thoughts?

simple:

THICC

Yes, that is what he likes. He sculpts thick by the dozen apparently.

>a black female pilot because those existed in the 1940s

Setting aside the question of whether a movie about someone flying around in a jetpack demands RIGOROUS HISTORICAL ACCURACY, you do realize that black female pilots were a thing in the '40s, right

One of the Tuskegee airmen was married to one; look up Mildred Carter

Couldn't fly for the military, no, but who says "pilot" means they fly for combat? Cliff himself was just a stunt flyer.

>still hate the concept... but, I bet the chick from sleep hollow would look hot dressed in 1940's clothes.

There have been multiple black female pilots since like the 1920's.

On the one hand, the odd pandering nature of it gets me. If they'd just hired a black female actress to lead and then come out with this, it wouldn't feel as off. It's like they decided she had to be black and are marketing that before we know anything but the bare bones nature of the plot. Maybe her being black, and a woman, comes into affect given the time period of the movie? I could see that, though I feel like it'd be a bit of a jarring turn for the series, as pulpy as it is.

On the other hand, I have "black-woman-action-hero-jungle-fever" something fierce. So, even though it's not exactly pandering to me, I can't really argue much against it.

I should really rewatch the movie and check out the comics, though.

>black people
>in the 40s

Maybe she is a white woman that got severely burned and became black after her jetback exploded?

prove it

It seems that the worst post is the first post in Sup Forumsmblr

Uh... You realize that Ghostbusters was a hit right???

Just because you have a problem with women and wanted the movie to fail doesn't mean it did you know?

It hasn't even made back its budget yet and Feig himself said it needs 500 million to be considered a success

Willa Brown, Bessie Coleman, Janet Bragg, Dorothy Lane Macintyre.

I'd hesitate to call it common, but it certainly wasn't unheard of.

kill yourself

why?

Critically? Yes.

Box office? No. That's not even counting advertising. If they did do a sequel it'd be toned down and much more lowkey than the first.

I'm cool with it and all, but I never really see the point of these. Almost always no one likes a remake, so why try pushing something onto it. I just feel like a new and actually creative attempt at something with a more "inclusive" role would be much more admirable than falling back on something already established

Six years after 1938 = 1944.
This isn't the Cold War yet, unless Disney speeds up WW2 which Marvel certainly did.

Yea, I'm not seeing it. It would be one thing if Seacord had gotten a few movies first, but he hasn't even established a legacy to pass on yet. If they want to do a black female pilot movie, I'd be all for it. But slapping the Rocketeer brand on it, without the Rocketeer, doesn't sit well with me.

>"The Rocketeers"
>plural
>clickbait article wants to stir up controversy by pointing out the sex and race of the lead in a "reboot"
>it's been stated on numerous news sites that it's a legacy story taking place during the Cold War

Four 90s pulp films, I think Dick Tracey counts too.

Why are we pretending we give a fuck about the Rocketeer? Aside from bitching about the remake, there hasnt been a single thread about the Rocketeer since December?

What's there to talk about? There was a movie and some older comics, and then some newer ones released very rarely every couple of months. It was always a cult hit, espeically nowadays.

Why are you acting like anything that doesn't get daily or weekly threads is something people don't care about? There's two kinds of Hellboy threads: infrequent storytimes and "why doesn't Sup Forums talk about Hellboy," and people love it. Same with Usagi Yojimbo. Truth is, unless it makes people angry, most comics get only sporadic topics unless they're releasing fairly frequently.

People like the Rocketeer, and news that they might be dragging to out and trying to play off the diversity card riles up both people interested in it, some of which have expressed interest without reservation, and the typical reaction when a headline reads "not white person to star in a series usually about a white person."

>Why are we pretending we give a fuck about the Rocketeer?

Why are you pretending to give a fuck about the Rocketeer then that you need to sperg out and accuse others?

From the descriptions of the plot we've gotten it looks like they're going for a "Klaus Fuchs/Rosenbergs sells Manhattan Project secrets to the Soviets" angle, but with rocketry instead of atom bombs.

Why must you turn this image board into a house of lies?

It hasn't made its production budget back. It definitely won't cover its advertisement budget either. There's also that studios and theaters usually split the profits 50-50. Feig himself said it needs $500 mil.

as for The Rocketeer.
I'm going to wait for a director to be named before bothering to think about this.

I think we can all agree this is a good and realistic design

fucking retarded

hope it bombs

>In the United States and Canada, Sony initially projected Ghostbusters to gross $30 million in its opening weekend. However, following favorable reviews and an effective marketing campaign, the studio raised their projection to somewhere around $40 million while still remaining conservative. Most industry projections had the film opening between $40–50 million.[58] The film opened Friday, July 15, across 3,963 theaters, earning $17.2 million on its first day.[59] This includes $3.4 million it made from Thursday preview screenings.[60] The film ended up earning $46 million in its opening weekend from 3,962 theaters, in line with projections, and finished second at the box office behind The Secret Life of Pets ($50.8 million).[61] It scored the biggest opening weekend ever for director Paul Feig and star Melissa McCarthy and was the biggest live-action comedy debut since Pitch Perfect 2 in May 2015.[62]
It doing alright.
It not a masterpiece or box office breaking hit, it an average movie and modest success. But it alright.

Wow the reaction to Iron Maneisha was that positive huh?

In my mind, if we're strictly talking 90s pulp adventure movies:
>Dick Tracy
>The Rocketeer
>The Phantom
>The Shadow
>The Mask Of Zorro
I loved every one of these movies as a kid and still enjoy them today. Disney's recent Lone Ranger had a similar feel in my opinion and I loved it for that.

>who is the audience for this?
Who even wanted a Rocketeer sequel in the first place?

I like pretty much all those films except Tracy.

I love Mask of Zorro so goddamn much, I'm literally listening to the score right now.

Nicole Beharie would be literally perfect, and she deserves a big-budget franchise after she got fucked so hard by Sleepy Hollow.

The Rocketeer was mediocre at best and the only reason faggots care is because Nostalgia and "oh no female AND Black. Seriously who gives a fuck? Even if it had a Whiteboy in it, it would still be a shitty remake that pales in comparison to the original, like Robocop, Total Recall and just about every other remake.

Except unlike those movies The Rocketeer was pretty fucking forgettable. As far as "Pulp Adventure" movies go i am hoping that the upcoming Doc Savage movie fills that void. Hopefully it's good.

Also this.

Fucking go watch it again and tell me it's forgettable.

He's only half of the equation though. A big part of the original Rocketeer was the music; and James Horner's dead so they better get somebody who is very damn close in style.

>Sup Forums to Reboot "This Thread" Five Times a Day