In another universe, serious western animation exists for adults and is treated with dignity

>in another universe, serious western animation exists for adults and is treated with dignity

Kill me. All this tumblr tier cal arts garbage is unending

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JXcV6dOMUZs
youtube.com/watch?v=jJzEW_eE1G0
youtube.com/watch?v=f8aU4MYDsOQ
youtube.com/watch?v=9HKnvipeYq8
youtube.com/watch?v=6JdsGxP9DsU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Isn't that the music video Todd McFarlane directed for Pearl Jam?

Yes, aside from that and Spawn can you think of any western cartoons that aren't cheap trash humor like family guy or kiddy shit?

music video thread?

youtube.com/watch?v=JXcV6dOMUZs

When the wind blows?

>i only know about televised children's animations

Bojack Horseman?

You really are new around here.

If you're going to be pompous, at least post some recs

>Spawn
Back to the bait bucket.

lolwut
still has a kiddy art style

I'm looking for realistic, serious and edgy art styles like Spawn, heavy blacks, shadows and all that jazz

>>in another universe, serious western animation exists for adults and is treated with dignity
I agree with you. Animation is seriously held back in the west.

>All this tumblr tier cal arts garbage is unending
Welp, now you've done it. Doesn't matter if you're right or wrong, because nobody's gonna take you seriously after you used those buzzwords and boogeymen in such a short sentence. Are you happy now?

Venture Bros comes to mind. It might take forever to come out but it's very well animated and has wonderful writing.

>edgy art style

Bait compromised

You could have just asked for a recomendation thread, instead of whining, newfag.

Damn she looks like Death, if there ever was a Sandman cartoon

I hate to be that guy but I've been watching more and more anime lately and I can't help but feel that it's really kinda better in just about every way. I don't hate Western animation by any means but it's pretty clear/obvious that anime is a stronger medium.

I'd love for Western animation to reach a similar level but it's never going to happen since cartoons are probably taken even less seriously over here than over there.

Though to be fair, recent cartoons like Steven Universe and Gravity Falls are probably some of the best cartoons ever made. But even then, with examples like SU, they're also pretty clearly inspired by anime, much like how Bruce Timm was when he was working on the DCAU.

What are some of these shows called?

>Venture Bros.
>Aeon Flux
>China, IL
>Mission Hill
>Rick & Morty
>Heavy Metal
>Metalocalypse
>Brad Nelly's Weirdly Feelsy Fun Time
>Mike Tyson Mysteries
>The Oblongs
>Duckman
>The Critic

She IS death actually.

>well, all the direct to video Sup Forums related stuff from the last 10 years is not kiddie stuff. Not only DC but also the Hellboy & Marvel dvds.

I hate to be that guy but I've been watching more and more anime lately and I can't help but feel that it's really kinda better in just about every way

it is, nothing wrong with pointing it out.My only problem with anime is that at times its too strange and foreign. I still love good cartoons anyway.

>Sealab 2021
>ATHF
>Frisky Dingo

Ghibli's animation style is still fairly based on Golden Age Disney. France would always have René Laloux.

>it is, nothing wrong with pointing it out.My only problem with anime is that at times its too strange and foreign. I still love good cartoons anyway.
I don't like a LOT of anime tropes myself. But I feel like the good kinda just straight up outweighs the bad.

>Ghibli's animation style is still fairly based on Golden Age Disney.
That's kind of the whole irony of the whole thing. They were inspired by us in the first place.

I feel like a problem that never gets addressed is

>manga comes out, usually a one man or small team project
>if it's successful the rights get sold to make an anime
>usually a faithful adaptation thst tries to keep the spirit of the illustrations in the books, with varying amounts of success
>merchandise out the wazoo if that successful

And in the west
>comic gets made, usually a two to full editorial team job
>if it's successful it might just wallow in obscurity until someone picks it up and gets the rights... to a live action tv series
>said series usually changes a ton of stuff from the comic, sometimes unrecognizably, until it's basically just bogged down to being a clone of an already existing show with objectively worse costume design translations, and for all intents and purposes there's no real illustrative artistry at play, making the whole endeavour of drawing the story in the comic kind of useless if it doesn't get translated into the show faithfully
>if it's successful it gets some t shirts and maybe a shitty figure

Seriously, there are so many comics with visually compelling artstyle thst just get shat on in live action. The walking dead game looks more like the comic and is more visually compelling than the show in so many ways and it stands out so much more than another fucking live action zombie flick. Preacher is outright neutered in the art department for the show, the marvel movies go out of their way to just make their colorful characters translate into pretty boring realistic designs comparatively.

It's like... did anyone actually like how bogged down and boring the designs in that shitty live action dragonball movie were compared to the anime or the manga? Why do americans keep doing it? Why do you insist on making inherently visual work toned down? You're doing the exact same thing, drawing characters doing things over and over again, why not work more in tandem?

When are you going to go back to do shit like the Maxx and spawn again?

Japan may be better on the details but it can't beat US animation in terms of movement. There are times where their characters move as if they are epileptic.

Are you talking about all western animation?

>Fantastic Planet
>Anything done by Don Hertzfeldt (It's Such a Beautiful Day, Rejected, The Meaning of Life)
>Heavy Metal
>Plague Dogs
>Watership Down
>Iron Giant
>The Nightmare Before Christmas
>Mary & Max
>Fantastic Mr. Fox
>Bojack Horseman
>Aeon Flux
>Star Wars The Clone Wars (2D)
>Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat
>The Maxx
>Courage the Dog
>The Boondocks
>South Park
>Batman The Animated Series
>Batman Beyond
>Clerks
>Wall-e
>King of the Hill
>Coraline
>Samurai Jack
>Fantasia
>Anomalisa
>Rango

From the internet
>Brackenwood Series
>Anything done by Felix Colgrave (Tainted Goods, Pigpen, videoclips from Fever the Ghost's Source song)
>Bravest Warriors
>Don't Hug Me I'm Scared
>Harry Partridge (Starbarians, Dr. Bees)
>Max Gillardi (Jerry, WGJ4K,Jack's Scare Victim)
>Lee Hardcastle
>Chris O'Neil (Hellbenders, Leo and Satan)
>Zach Hadel (Hellbenders)
>Zeurel
>David Firth (Dog of Man, Saladfingers, Sock)

Shorts (AKA where the good shit is at)
>La Maison en Petit Cubes
>MORE (Mark Osborn)
>Runaway Brain (Disney)
>Anything by Terry Gilliam (Story Time)
>Anything by Jan Švankmajer (Dimensions of Dialogue, Food, Tma, Svetlo, Tma)
>Crater Face (Skyler Page)
>Bob's Birthday (Alison Snowden and David Fine)
>Don Hertzfeldt deserves to be mentioned again
>Madame Tutli- Putli
>Teeth (Daniel Grey and Tom C G Brown)
>The Backwater Gospel
>Alma
>Heart (Erick Oh)

I vouch for the quality of each and every one of those. Keep in mind my memory has been destroyed by medication, this is just what I could remember now. I think it's enough to make my case and to introduce you to western animation.

I see I have greatly wasted my time.

>Muh buzzwords

>But I feel like the good kinda just straight up outweighs the bad

Yeah

youtube.com/watch?v=jJzEW_eE1G0

Well, at least youre not being a sperg about it.

Man, that just isn't true.

Yeah, sure, most times anime characters are static, but they make up for it by being very illustrative and interesting to look at even if they're a still image. You can't say the same for other similarly limited animated shows.

To be honest I'd rather take characters that always look pretty good than characters that are literal spheres and cubes that move their arms up and down a little more or flap their mouths with some extra frames, because really, the extra movement is neglible and not used to its full potential.

Go watch super robot monkey team hyper force go, that show takes a lot of limited animation techniques from anime and it actuslly helps make the overall look and movement of the show much more vibrant and dynamic than something that sacrifices the look of the show and simplifies it only to half ass and botch the animation half of the time like most cartoon network shows on right now.

Obviously, everyone here knows that. Artistically, anime is way ahead of the west. The creator driven mindset of many modern cartoons (which is a big inprovement from the days of 06 and 07) is a large step in that direction, but it's gonna take a lot of time and a lot of work.

The rest of us don't make ten threads every day bitching about this, however.

>popular animation is popular because it appeals to masses
>niche animation is NOT popular because it appeals to, well, a niche
>niche animation can't be popular because, if it was, it'd have to appeal to masses
>and you wouldn't like it

Seriously, why is this so hard for you to get? All these "Why isn't the obscure animation I like more popular?! REEEE" threads are getting tiresome and it boggles me why you haven't figured the answer out yourselves.

>we could have had an animated watchmen movie
>we could have had an animated sandman movie
>we could have had an animated judge dredd movie
>we could have had an animated marvel cinematic universe
>we could have had a good killing joke movie

Because animation isn't taken as seriously in the West. While in the East animation started with an "all ages" sort of venture, Disney solidified the idea in pop culture that cartoons are for babies. And similarly, capeshit solidified comics as for loser nerds.

Which meant that for a long time, any adaptions of comics/manga had to go straight to live action, and they needed to look cooler and more realistic to distance themselves from their lighter, more colorful counterparts, typically copying the tends in action at the time, mostly The Matrix.

Of course, Disney proved that whole dichotomy wrong with Marvel and Star Wars, so now the entire industry is getting in line to suck their dick.

Now we're getting to a point where the people who make cartoons understand that they can broadcast to a wider audience than just children, but it's still a long time before we get to the anime promised land.

As far as 2d animation is concerned. The West still reigns superior in the 3d department.

>Only two of those are't comedies

>anime promised land
you mean moe and fanservice capes? count me in.
>capeshit solidified comics as for loser nerds.
So is anime for otaku and neets.

>>we could have had an animated watchmen movie
I'm still holding out hope for a 12-episode animated Watchmen OVA that actually did the book justice.

>videogames, products that were literally marketed as toys for babies since it's infancy, managed to become a bigger industry than Hollywood with insane out there concepts being made regularly for an adult audience and with a thriving indie scene in just a few short decades

>meanwhile animation is still in a creative ghetto

Sometimes all it takes is artists that don't suck making really good products to change minds.

La Maison en Petit Cubes is japanese. Anyway, about shorts, the ammount of good animation shorts available on youtube is amazing.

>I hate to be that guy but I've been watching more and more anime lately and I can't help but feel that it's really kinda better in just about every way
Same.

>but it can't beat US animation in terms of movement.
But it does in terms of direction and variety.

What's funny is that videogames are essentially just made of animation.

Fuck, does anyone else want a stop motion doom movie now?

Only if it's told from a FPS perspective. I love me some first person movies. Surprised more directors and movies don't do that to save cash on the leading role, since all they'll need is a voice over from a known person, which would cost less than them actually appearaing, and some no name guy with a camera strapped to his face acting as the body.

Some claymation fun to you.
youtube.com/watch?v=f8aU4MYDsOQ

>hardcore Henry: doom edition

I didn't know I could want something so suddenly and so intensely before

Now to be fair, as someone who's probably a Sup Forumsirgin just as much as he's a Sup Forumsmrade, video games have a LONG way to go and aren't taken seriously still by the majority of people out there. Just look at the popularity of Disney movies and the Disney brand overall compared to something like Nintendo or Sony. Disney fucking dwarfs them.

And frankly, most video games are still immature as fuck. Honestly I don't even like them anymore but most Disney movies are probably more mature than most video games.

Tbh videogames were at their prime during their early 2000s when people were taking more risks and the stories weren't so scrutinized and taken over by Hollywood rejects, and more populated by enthusiastic pen and paper writers

Well yeah. A lot of people seem to think that 6th gen was one of the best gens, and for good reason. It was the last gen when games weren't ashamed to just be video games and it was the height of intricately designed levels, settings, and worlds in a 3D space. Seriously level design took a HUGE step back last gen, it was so dumb. Everything is either linear as fuck with no side paths to explore (and not much else to find for that matter) or open-world for the sake of being open-world. What happened to the middle ground?

Thank god someone mentioned The Maxx. Can't tell if the writing is somehow deep or just pretentious garbage, but the art style seems pretty unique, even now. That show fascinates me.

Maybe it just has to do with how high the cost of modern Gen games are compared to older gen, which made more room for mid tier developers.

People having less time to play videogames might also be why the shift to simpler, less complex, but flashier games happened, abd why the complex games kind of use said complexity to basically eat up the time and by proxy money the customer would be using on competing products. The one thing I'm truly sad about is the death of arcades in the west.

I mean actual fucking creative freedom. I would take 10 moeshit shows for 1 truly good creative work.

It's a trade, but it gets beautiful shit like One Punch Man and Mob Psycho, which straight up have animation leagues above anything mainstream animation has put out in at least a decade if not longer, or artistic works like FLCL that perfectly capture parts of the human experience.

I like cartoons, and I like how far they've come, but right now they're still really limited.

You sir, are the hero this site needs.

If more posters had even a smidgen of your mentality, we might actually be able to discuss """art""" half-intelligently.

>mfw I was thinking you meant Dr. Doom

There are people that try but the things they make always flop.
Anomalisa and Chico and Rita were pretty damn good animated movies for adults and got awards and shit but they bombed.

Video games are weird. On one hand you have the east, which is in the same boat as anime, and in the west it was a lot more grassroots, at least PC side. There wasn't yet a huge overhead market micromanaging everything you are and aren't allowed to put.

And honestly in the west video games were never marketed to children. PC, Xbox, PS2, the western audience was always seen as edgy teenagers.

I would live with Mad Max: Doom version. So a solitary, mostly mute hero gets dragged into this big convoluted story with a bunch of other characters that actually develop, but Doomguy's just there to shoot demons for 2 hours and get his paycheck.

>Why do americans keep doing it? Why do you insist on making inherently visual work toned down?

Because we have this really stupid obsession with everything being realistic even if it's a movie about a giant green man smashing things.

>I can't help but feel that it's really kinda better in just about every way
Probably because it is better in just about every way. The only people who seem to vehemently deny this are people on Sup Forums who say all anime is "moe and fanservice," i.e. people who don't actually watch anime.

Aside from Aeon Flux and a couple I don't know, those are Literally all comedies.
Are you being intentionally daft?

Define sperg

Somebody who says something I disagree with.

>It's a East vs West Episode
France has best animation and comics either way.

>I'm still holding out hope for a 12-episode animated Watchmen OVA that actually did the book justice.

At least we have the motion comic youtube.com/watch?v=9HKnvipeYq8

That's close enough

>france
rampant perversion does not a good series make

>in another universe, serious western animation exists for adults and is treated with dignity
Yeah but that universe also has giant telepathic spiders so... you know... maybe count your blessings.

telepathic spiders would allow to us to finally ask the fuckers why they're so damn creepy

We live in the digital age with computers and tablets and accessible animation software and internet resources for learning, networking and funding but despite all this only people from the professional studio scene are able to produce anything of note, and even they only barely.

>Fanservice capeshit
So Fate series?

True and i wish japan should stop animating cars in 3D, dammit. Only modern anime where cars arent in 3D is Lupin 2015.

The Maxx

Wizards

A Flight of Dragons

Heavy Metal

Plague Dogs

A Scanner Darkly

A scanner darkly is just a movie with a filter over it, does it even count as animation?

It's rotoscope(high tech rotoscope) so yes. Also a great film, you should check out the novel.

Maxx is pretty funny. I love the art and the animation sequences.

>The one thing I'm truly sad about is the death of arcades in the west.
Man that is so fucked up, especially for someone like me who LOVES arcades and prefers arcadey, skill-based type gameplay.

By no means is it just Sup Forumsmrades, it's people everywhere who seem to hate anime just because it's something different than what they grew up with, and that ranges from nerds on the internet to normalfags. Though to be fair, a lot of those people probably don't watch cartoons as well, aside from popular ones that are 'okay' to like, like Disney movies or Family Guy.

>I wish watching cartoons made me feel smarter then the other 14 year olds

I hope you are not shitting on this piece of work.

No, just op.

He has a point though, there would be more money for good stuff if it wasn't a kiddie's market.

Thank god japan still has alot arcades and those are still popular in there.

Yeah but I don't live in Japan so what the fuck am I supposed to do?

The arcade scene sounds so fucking amazing. I really do wish that arcades were still bustling and alive in America. Would love to go to a thriving, fun arcade and play all the newest arcade games, trying to beat my high score all the time, and so on.

Only thing we have here is Dave & Buster's really, which is alright.

That is a fine point.
If animation for adults were a larger market there would be more of it(but it isn't, so there isn't).
However it is not a nonexistent market, there is quit a bit of it.

OP didn't make that point.
He didn't look for anything on his own, decided cartoons weren't "edgy" enough, believes humor=kid friendly and considers Spawn an example of dignified adult work.

In short whatever point op may have had means little when they whine about it like a teenager instead of actually getting to the point.

There's a difference between comedy and cheap trash humor like was specified. So some of those are comedy but they're well written comedy.

Futurama and Early Simpsons does this.

>MacFarlane in charge of being original

Cybersix

>I am such an autist that I can't watch live action and need cartoons to be serious instead
I pity you all.

Live action is fine, just that it's a limited medium compared to animation.

doing fantastic tales in live action is exponentially more expensive than in animation due to the limitations of practical effects and CGI.

You probably need a few more years before get notable online animators in a broad public spotlight, either if You-tube changes a policy for animation monetization or if Netflix starts taking on independent animation series, because that's where the audience is

I'd also assume that people also assume that animation is simply rather a genre of film than it's own medium and taking advantage of it. Due to fantastical themes being viewed as kid's stuff or unhealthy nerd escapism, If it doesn't look 'real' or is set in a mundane setting then adults complain they can't relate the stories or characters even if the characters are well grounded normal people with a setting dealing with problems around them aren't too far away from normal everyday ones if the story is written well. I don't know if it's because people suck at suspension of disbelief or something else with western mindset

>tfw arcades are super dead where you are and the only cabs are Tekken 7 ones at a shitty ticket prize one
I just wanna play SSF4/5 and some others than sitting in my room alone playing, you'd bounce off others for techniques and stuff if the arcades where still alive

>That aren't cheap trash humor

>China, IL
>Metalocalypse
>Another Brad Nelly show
>Mike Tyson Mysteries

what were you thinking?

I use to watch that as a kid on mtv. I didnt understand much, like aeon flux, still enjoyed it.

I'm not sure I'd call Metalocalypse "cheap" humor. The original list in general does miss the point of the complaint, though. Poorly worded as it was.

youtube.com/watch?v=6JdsGxP9DsU

I honestly think because Japan has a boner with camp in a fun loving way, they can get away anime cringey voice acting, they eat that shit up because they don't care.

Instead, everytime the west tries to make something serious it is out of being cynical towards the current wave of thought. Which always falls flat.

>ctrl f - Gargoyles
>no results

WHY THE FUCK IS THIS SO?!!!!!!!!!