This is what has been bugging about reading comics for a while now...

This is what has been bugging about reading comics for a while now, nothing is permanent characters don't feel like they progress Jason is back, Barbra is no longer a cripple etc what does Sup Forums think am I just like any OP being a total faggot?

Ironically, the reason why I got into comic in the early 2000s is because things had progressed and changed from the set up I saw in the movies and animated versions.I remember reading a bio on the back of a Spider-man bobblehead, of all things, and being interested by the fact that the bio talked about him being a high school teacher and married to Mary Jane.

And the Batman comics at the time similarly had interesting things like a new Batgirl, Nightwing being out on his own in his own city, Oracle having the Birds of Prey etc.

So yeah, these changes do get annoying, but at this point its probably best to follow big Two comics as creator's runs rather than a whole.

It's one of those things, every writer has a vision and a story but when you have writer in and out these stories kind of only apply during the writer's run.

Typically it's the editor's job to stick these separate stories together but over the last decade we have editors in the industry that would rather write than edit.

That's why I don't really care too much about long-term developments for constant serial superheroes like Superman and Batman in their flagship series. Leave the significant longterm character progression, shocking developments and what-have-you to their Elsewords and limited series set in alternate universes like Red Son or All-Star, and just deliver a neat adventure about heroes in their main monthly(or bimonthly, as it were) series.

Read more Indy stuff. 3rd party properties generally have 1 writer and don't have to worry about retconning to please a mass audience.

Nah, it's a known thing. In Big Two comics there are no stakes whatsoever because everything can be rebooted, retconned or undone at will. Sometimes it's a blessing because insanely bad ideas also get undone. But really, after you've read a couple hundred issues of whatever, you pick up the fact that nothing is ever going to matter in long term. Only characters that are at any risk are unpopular characters that won't be invited for a rerun.

I suspect this is one of the main sources for the appeal of manga: the fact that since it's all the same continuity by the same author, everything generally happens permanently. More or less.

Your both user . Congratulations

I don't think those two things are exactly equivalent: Jason is back, but he was allowed to be changed and adapt to his trauma. Barbara's change means she is not allowed that.

I got into comics because I stumbled onto the DC Wiki and learned that there were multiple Robins and the first one grew up and became Nightwing. I was like "wow that's cool and interesting"

Way I see it is writers are afraid to change things too much because it's what they grew up with, it's what the fans are used to, they don't want backlash, etc. I'm sure people got mad when Dick Grayson stopped being Robin, right? But it stuck and now I doubt there's anyone who wants him to go back to that. You just gotta do what seems interesting and don't look back.
End blog post lol

That's how I felt when I first started out, eventually I gave up worrying about it because mainstream comics will always undo everything so it's better to focus on individual stories or runs instead of looking at the bigger overarching picture

I hear you pham. Combined with the SJW/diversity takeover of comics right now it's pushed me even further into creator owned capehit, like Invincible and Savage Dragon. At least when one guy is running the show you more often than not get the story he wants to tell, not what will bring the best ratings/sales/adulation from the horkers.

How did they justify Babs walking again? Has Killing Joke been retconned?

Jason hasn't really been developed well, though. He's had the same daddy issues for the past 5 years. Even his new Rebirth book is more of that.

Barbara at least has had a few different directions to do her own shit. She's overcome the PTSD and is now going around Asia training herseld

In a world of magic and cybernetic limbs, how do you justify Barbara not walking again?

but how did they do it this time? Babs always said she wouldn't use cybernetics or magic or other super bullshit until it was freely available to other people as well; she didn't think she should get special treatment.

Part of the problem nowadays is just that writers and creative teams don't have the freedom to write long-running stories anymore. It's really rare to get a creative team that lasts for more than a year or two now, so they just tell a few major stories with the characters, then another creator steps in with their own vision and tries to do something different.

Experimental surgery involving a chip. Her father found out about it

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay thanks for the answer tho

>I suspect this is one of the main sources for the appeal of manga
It's also one of the reasons for the rise in popularity of western webcomics as well (besides their easier availability/wider subject matter). Independent authors and artists don't have to maintain the status quo and have their own settings to work in.

It's shit, but thanks for the info anyways.

What you're describing is basically the oldest and biggest problem of all capeshit the fact that in the end everything always goes back to the status quo. They can take years to do it, and they can tell a fantastic story along the way, but sooner or later it'll all go away. If you can't enjoy the individual stories for what they are - and that's a completely legitimate feeling to have, mind you - then you probably should only read non-capeshit or what-ifs.

You welcome user

There's some progress, though it's at a glacial pace.
While Marvel had been getting rid of Peter Parker's marriage, Batman and Superman became fathers. That's not about to change.

>then you probably should only read non-capeshit
>non-capeshit
>mfw

I'm told there are these things that are like comics but without pictures called books. Maybe try one of those?

NEVER!

Microchip in her kneck

I bet when Dick fucks her, he knocks it loose and re-cripples her

Am I the only one who wanted Joker to have cut their faces off and served the flesh?

probably not.
I didn't want that to happen, but the laws of 'nothing changes, everything stays the same' meant that I knew he wouldn't have been allowed to do so, by editorial mandate.
While Batman's terror was real, I had no fear that his family would be safe.

I think what irritates me most about The Killing Joke retcon is that it felt like DC wanted to have it both ways but refused to put in the legwork...

They wanted to have Barbara back as the one and only Batgirl but didn't want to sacrifice their beloved Killing Joke to do so...

And so you have a recovery that handwaved over in a couple of panels (which I feel is a missed opportunity for great stories and giving Barbara more agency over the situation) but every time a new team comes onto the book, we have to endure their version of Barbara reliving the scenario in explicit detail, even if the prior run made a point of Barbara putting the trauma behind her...

I don't hate the Killing Joke, I'm just bored to fucking tears of it...

Read Marvel for five years or so and you'll learn to cherish the "stability" of DC.

They really should of done it by looking at modern medicine in the real world. We really are advancing to the point that shit like a busted spine, if it's fucked in a specific way, can be fixed.

tfw modern medicine will make old comics irrelevant one day.

The irony of the Killing Joke is that it was intended as sacrilege to the Batman mythology but was such an emotional impact because of that, that it's been folded into the mythology as just another cornerstone in the temple to Batman's canon.
There's no toppling this particular fanboy faith with a good story.

You also lose having a disabled superhero/a superhero who has to succeed without being able to win physically. There's a reason why Oracle gets spotted by Amanda Waller. OK, that story is old now, but she was a great character there and the new batgirl simply isn't that character.

Oh, and you open up the whole 'if the heroes can fix these injuries for THEMSELVES...' debate too

Not at all it's why I stick to one offs and non cape. Hush is really good most of the self contained stuff is awesome.

Just like how every time Jason is added to a new title they'll do some flashback to Death in the Family.

They did it in the new book, too. Raw deal for both of them.