Why did Mike Lazzo ban this from rerunning on Adult Swim?

Why did Mike Lazzo ban this from rerunning on Adult Swim?

Other urls found in this thread:

metalinsider.net/interviews/interview-brendon-small-on-galaktikon-ii-the-end-of-metalocalypse
youtube.com/watch?v=0NIKVfy15bM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because it sucks.

I thought he had a boner for that show?

No quite the opposite actually.

Probably because it was trash

The ratings for it were terrible I'm pretty sure

shit taste detected

Good, then why the blue balled fuck did he put out so many episodes?

This, especially the reruns.

Low budget and fills timeslots with "new material."

>you will never return to 2002-2006 [as] where MacFarlane didn't run the block, Futurama was a part of it, [as] was willing to experiment, and comfy music.

Because they cost $10,000 an episode to make and could air them while Williams Street originals are in production. In 2001 and 2002, Home Movies was one of the highest rated shows on there, but when Futurama and Family Guy came around, they dominated and AS had no need for Home Movies anymore.

Besides, Khaki Jones was the one who really liked it. Lazzo wanted it ended by '04 so they could funnel the money in its budget to what would become Squidbillies

>They chose Squidbillies over more Home Movies

I can barely fucking watch Squidbillies.
At least Home Movies had good jokes.

best show AS ever had.

apparently the higher ups at AS dont like brendon small
>which shows after they wouldnt finish metalocalypse even after fan/investor backing

brendon must have talked some mad shit or something...shame, home movies is a classic

We didn't even get more songs for another album.

Also, Lazzo technically approved it to be brought back in 2001, but by 2004 he was going on record in interviews and calling it crap

Lazzo didn't know better.

he was right
it is crap

It is crap.

Why do you think its crap exactly?

this is the same guy who likes robot chicken, he DOESNT know better

Home Movies is an acquired taste for some. I didn't start to appreciate it until my mid-20s. But [as] has to cater to that stoner teen demo so of course it's stuffed with Family Guy and whatnot (Though I like that show too, it's run its course.)

>I like that show

are you okay

and mr pickles and loiter squad

In case you couldn't tell by my age, I grew up with Family Guy. And Simpsons. And American Dad. Even King of the Hill. I was also there for the first season of South Park. I don't watch them as much as I used to, but despite their respective levels of quality across their individual seasons I still enjoy the shows

it's basically a kids show

lets be honest the only reason loiter squad was ever a thing was because the suits thought they could get easy views by taking Odd Future and giving them a show

obviously

>lets be honest

Kid's show about nothing.

I'm pretty sure a kids show wouldn't get away with this scene

You will be surprised now.

>Not using question marks

Squidbillies is objectively better. Lampooning the state of Georgia and all of its degenerate backwater culture is funny. Home Movies was just a bunch of cultural references to Kafka and 90's bullshit. Next you'll be telling me Dr. Katz is funny

pretty sure adult shows aren't rated pg and about kids making movies and being in school

>Home Movies was just a bunch of cultural references to Kafka and 90's bullshit.

I've never almost vomited over such a shitty post like that before. Good job

>Home Movies was just a bunch of cultural references to Kafka and 90's bullshit

You have literally never watched the show.

Because viewers only like Family Guy reruns.

Home Movies is so shit it got canceled two times.

Didn't Brendon Small burn all his bridges at [AS]? Do they even air reruns of Metalocalypse?

>Didn't Brendon Small burn all his bridges at [AS]?
>Do they even air reruns of Metalocalypse?
Almost nightly for a good five years up until a couple months ago, yes

Fuck this show. The animation was done in fucking ms paint or some shit by an old stroke victim and looks awful. Like someone else said, they put no thought into the art style whatsoever. The writing is extremely subpar too. For one thing, the premise of the show is just cliche and boring. To make matters worse though, each episode moves incredibly slowly with very contrived and beaten to death plots where some people mumble for 20 minutes, punctuated by booger or fart jokes and other grossout gags. Seriously, who was the target audience for this shit? Mentally disabled children?

Either way, it sucked so bad it was cancelled twice and later banned from rerunning as well.

>its a plebs on Sup Forums don't like Home Movies episode
Reminder that if you like Bob's Burgers but don't like Home Movies you're essentially a hypocrite

>Next you'll be telling me Dr. Katz is funny

I will tell you that because it's true

The show was retroscripted. Most of the dialogue is improv.

The show becomes pure genius when you rewatch it after learning this.

WHY WON'T THEY LET HIM FINISH METALOCALYPSE

;_;

>People still watch FOX reruns Swim

Quite a few reasons

>It costs too much money
>[AS] wanted Brendon to do an entire an entire season of Metalocalypse, Brendon only wanted to do a mini series. [AS] told Brendon that you either do an entire season or you get nothing. Brendon went with nothing
>[AS] also said at the start that theyy wanted more Metalocalypse just "not now" at the time they were discussing the finale of Metalocalypse with Brendon
>the people at [AS] probably hate the fans (see the fax incident)
>They only want Metalocalypse reruns for themselves

If you want to read more it's here metalinsider.net/interviews/interview-brendon-small-on-galaktikon-ii-the-end-of-metalocalypse

Their greed has no end.

Home Movies was just maximum comf.

You are literally everything that's wrong with comedy today.

Are you being intentionally retarded user?

THIS

Fuck adult swim

youtube.com/watch?v=0NIKVfy15bM

i remember an old interview where lazzo talked about canning home movies and the brak show because he wanted AS to move away from cheap looking animation and hannah barbera intellectual properties

Link?

this was more than 10 years ago
find the link yourself sugartits

>move away from cheap looking animation
When's this going to happen?

You have a really stupid opinion about these two particular things, brah.

Ok

demarco's repeatedly stated it isnt

in fact, Saddle Rash, a special from 2002 made by Loren that has the Home Movies animation style is airing on the 22nd. It's not exactly Home Movies but close enough

Death Battle. Mike Lazzo vs. Brendon Small

Halfway through Dino Stamatopolous shows up

Lol

I know they've been airing rarer specials and pilots in dvr theater so that's pretty neat. Do you know what else they're airing that week?

Also, if it's not banned doesn't it still seems odd that it hasn't seen the light of day even in dvr theater for, what 3 or 4 years now?

yeah its kinda odd. I'm hoping it pops up for the 15th anniversary that's less than a month away.

The Adult Swim xml schedule only goes to the 22nd right now, and I know when it updates nowadays (5:50AM EST) so that's the farthest it can get right now. I'll list everything that's gonna air on it after Daytime Fighting League ends on the 5th (except for Saturday which is still Info/OTA) for those who dont know

8/8 - Greatest Event in Television History / OTA Shapes
8/9 - Greatest Event in Television History 2
8/10 - GEiTH 3
8/11 - GEiTH 4 / The Pound Hole
8/12 - Boo Boo Runs Wild (this TV-Y7 special is airing 15 minutes after a TV-MA-LSV episode of Eric Andre, just wanted to point that out)

8/15 - Dinner With Friends With Brett Gelman and Friends
8/16 - Dinner With Family With Brett Gelman and Brett Gelman's Family
8/17 - Brett Gelman's Dinner in America (just aired in July)
8/18 - The Adult Swim Golf Classic
8/19 - Bagboy

8/22 - Saddle Rash
8/23 - ____________ (I'm hoping for more early Adult Swim specials, like Korgoth, Eltingville, maybe even that Penguins Behind Bars special that is lost media??)

Cool.

If they're doing Saddle Rash, it would make sense to do more specials from that era.

>demarco's repeatedly stated it isnt
Im like 100% sure that all just started because of autists in the toonami threads

Fun fact, Schoolastic holds the merchandising rights for Home Movies.

I rewatched it fairly recently

Anything in it that doesn't involve McGuirk is painfully uninteresting.

they own the studio outright. Shut it down in 2014.

Coach McGuirk was the star of the show.

> Dislikes Home Movies
> Dislikes Moral Orel

And yet Family Guy lives on

Very few Adult Swim shows are actually for adults. Most of the anime line up is for kids and teens and its only gotten moreso since the Toonami rebranding.

I'm telling you, rewatch it as an adult and its clear its meant for kids except for the coach, but even that couldn't save it

You say this on a board where most of the shows are meant for kids, yet people watch anyway.

It wasn't cancelled, it ended

Techically Lazzo pulled the plug on them during the production of Season 4 so they had to scramble to write a finale

Let's face the facts. AS is nothing but re-runs for kids who stay up late now. There is no good original content being broadcasted. Even toonami is dubbed old shit.

Because he's a cuck

Yup. And not only that, they won't re-run any of the good shit.

>
Kids these days only know AS for Seth shows, KoTH, Bob's Burgers, Rick and Morty, and maybe Robot Chicken.

You'd think Home Movies would jive well with KoTH and Bob's Burgers stylistically as well as R&M because of the improv thingm

Yes, but it would probably need to be in rotation for a while before casual AS viewers warm up to it and the hardcore fans realize its actually airing again.

And god knows, the AS of today is adverse to taking any semblance of a risk.

Mike Lazzo is the definition of HE CANT KEEP ON GETTING AWAY WITH THIS

Love the interactions between characters, there are a couple of songs thart are catchy....the film thing was so-so. Episodes like the camping trip or the medieval fair show that they didn't need to stick to the "home movies" formula to tell a good story.

Of the literally thousands of subtle, intricate quips (~5 jokes/minute times 20 minutes/episode times 50 episodes) based around character traits and interpersonal relationships (i.e. you need to actually study the characters and analyze their motives and past experiences in order to understand the show), there are literally 5 "gross-out" jokes. And they all occurred during the first 5 episodes, which were made for UPN in 1999 and were targeted at a "family audience". Maybe try watching an episode that was made for AS?

It amazes me that, to this day, the animation style still completely goes over the heads of many. A little background: unlike the vast majority of cartoons and animated sitcoms, the voice acting was done PRIOR to the animation. This made the animation a daunting task that, despite being done with cheap flash animation, required over 10 animators per episode. But if you're into dialogue-driven humor, the results are worth it, because there are hardly any animated sitcoms that contain the detailed, varied and organic facial expressions and body gestures that Home Movies contains. In fact, many animated sitcoms contain hardly any facial expressions or movements among their characters during conversation. I wouldn't be surprised if you think Family Guy has a passing artistic style; sure, it isn't abrasive, but it's devoid of any intricacy or artistic merit.

Spaghetti time

it's time to pay the price

Toonami is just a gloried AS Action

Yup but with meme normie shows like AoT and OPM, immature shonen garbage like Naruto, One Piece, and Dragon Ball, and old nostalgia grabs like Champloo and Bebop. Not too mention they aired Symbiotic Titan and other Cartoon Network reruns too a couple years back.

I still don't get the appeal of Toonami? Like why are people so into it? Isn't it literally the same shit they played on Saturdays anyway but with TOM bumpers? Are people SO into TOM bumpers that the block is a cause for celebration/obsession?

They had to make more room for Family Guy

Yup
And I guess they couldn't stick it in any of the allotted AS original slots for some reason

Considering that Nick and now MTV have made waves with 90s and early 00s nostalgia-feeding programming blocks, I'm surprised AS hasn't resurrected Old School Nights/Classic Fridays or even thrown some more classic shows on their lineup considering their 15th anniversary is coming up.