The Gettysburg film had 10,000 volunteers that brought their own Union/Confederate uniforms, guns...

>the Gettysburg film had 10,000 volunteers that brought their own Union/Confederate uniforms, guns, and canons to the filming

Will we ever get another movie with such help from the public? Even getting extras nowadays is a standard hire/fire affair.

From what I know a big shock for European press and war reported present was the huge amount of bloodshed because of the fact that the soldiers on both sides were NOT equipped with bayonets.

Nice double dubs. But that's partially true. Both sides had lots of bayonets, they just rarely used them.

Chamberlain, who commanded the ~300 men of 20th Maine Volunteers Regiment against 4,000 confederates at Little Round Top, ran out of ammo and ordered a bayonet charge that broke the confederates. He was worried that ordering a bayonet charge would be seen as "uncivilized" and demean the victory of his men.

>Hiring extras
Nigga, CGI models and/or vocaloids are not extras.

>General Buford's 2,500 dismounted calvary held back 25,000 confederate soldiers long enough for the union to occupy the hills
>Lee ordered his soldiers to attack a larger union force entrenched on the hills leading to multiple confederate units being massacred
>the only fresh troops he had were sent to attack the union center over a 1.5 mile long open field across from the main concentration of union guns
>the confederates marched in open ground in tight formation getting hit by long range then short range union artillery, then by aimed musket fire suffering 50% casualties, then the survivors charged the union defenses and were promptly annihilated

What the fuck was General Lee thinking?

>Assisted personally by artillery chief Henry Hunt, Cowan ordered five guns to fire double canister simultaneously. The entire Confederate line to his front disappeared.

imagine living your whole life just to lead up to being made into pink mist, hundreds of ball bearings turning you and your friends into fucking ground meat

>The gap vacated by most of the 71st Pennsylvania, however, was more serious, leaving only a handful of the 71st, 268 men of the 69th Pennsylvania, and Cushing's two 3-inch rifled guns to receive the 2,500 to 3,000 men of Garnett's and Armistead's brigades as they began to cross the stone fence. The Irishmen of the 69th Pennsylvania resisted fiercely in a melee of rifle fire, bayonets, and fists

Based Irish

Gettysburg was Lee's and most of his army thinking they were invincible. His concept for Day 3 made some sense- he thought he could force Meade to stretch his lines too far letting Pickett break through when Stuart attacked from the rear. However Ewell wasn't Jackson and couldn't press his attacks, Stuart was embarassed by Custer, and Lee got to watch firsthand why the Napoleonic attack was a dying tactic.

TL;DR- Longstreet was right.

Day 3 of Gettysburg was fucked against Lee. Yes, the Union reinforced their flanks and left their center light, but the Union lines were very tight. They could move entire divisions in minutes. Meanwhile, after Pickett's attack, the closest Confederate forces were over an hour's march back. Even if the Confederates took the Union center, they wouldn't get reinforcements before the Union swarmed them. Lee literally sent thousands of men to die a pointless death,

who ultimate general here

>finally got out of early access

How is it? I kept getting sidetracked by other games in my backlog since UG doesn't have a tutorial and I heard it's pretty hard.

Another thing was that smooth bore muskets that were the primary infantry weapon until the civil war had an effective range of 80m and a reload time of 30 seconds so this made a bayonette charge practible after an enemy volley, you could cover 80m before they reloaded.

The early rifles that were the main weapon for most of the war had an effective range of 300m, so your whole crew would be cut down during a bayonette charge Before they could cover the whole distance

Of course. I'm not saying he had a chance, but at least his plan had merit. Lee never should have committed to Gettysburg in the first place, especially when Buford and Reynolds held out on day 1.

Nevertheless, he felt he could win it, and he ignored the advice of his subordinates on how to fight it. Compare Longstreet's success at a similar situation at Chickamauga a few months later.

Either way, even if Lee had won he wouldn't have been able to take DC and Vicksburg was going to fall no matter what.

The only thing that bothered me was no matter how much I beat my enemies in battle they kept coming back stronger and with better equipment. Has the scaling been fixed?

>Lee literally sent thousands of men to die a pointless death

Why is this such a recurring theme with white people? The Seven Year's War, the Revolutionary War, the Napolenic War, the War of 1812, the Euro Wars in between WW1, WW1, WW2. So many white people died. In WW1 and WW2, so many died that they had to ship in immigrants to make up for the labor shortage. Imagine if these wars didn't happen and the white population surged to current Chinese/Indian levels.

I like how smooth it is and the stat/equipment progression of your troops.
Cavalry and skirmisher AI fucks up sometimes.
Also routing enemies who run through your lines and then min later pop up again to shoot you in the back.

Lee is a classical example of American exuberance. He ignored the political battle in favor of the military one. His political goals were to threaten or take Washington DC. He outmaneuver the Union Army and had a clear path to DC but decided to fight in Pennsylvania. Then America would repeat his mistake in Nam and the wars since. Always going for the military wins instead of the political ones.

Time to get comfy and Ken Burns' Civil War

The one time where civil war reenactors were actually useful.

This, as well as the fact the larger strategic situation was critical. The ANV was at a critical level of supply and Gettysburg was, win or lose, going to be the defining moment of the war. It was the last chance for the CSA to win a decisive victory and dictate terms with the support of France and England. He felt he had to win, so he committed it all.

If any of you ever go to Gettysburg, walk the charge. You can still go all the way from the treeline to the Union positions. Imagine doing it under sustained cannon and musket fire. Unimaginable.

>dictate terms with the support of France and England

No European power would support a CSA that had the institution of slavery.

I never realized how many fat, middle-aged men fought in the Civil War until I watched Gettysburg. 20 mile marches? Half of them would have died.

I must have imagined all the arms sales then.

>"Tell me sir, why are we fighting for these niggers anyway?"
Was this really necessary?

Gods and Generals battles looked much better and they used CGI to copy paste extras.

With Gettysburg you could always tell they were reenactors, they never convey the feeling that these people are in a real life or death situation and they were badly drilled too.

>extras looking at camera
>extras not knowing what to do
>extras play fighting like retards
>rubber bayonets

Yeah, imagine that: people look different now.

You have to understand. These weren't men who grew up in comfortable, air conditioned homes eating cheetos and sitting at a computer for 8 hours a day. These men lived tough lives so they stayed tougher into middle age. If any of them were fat, it was from age and not exercising enough, but they were still tough. They just had some extra fat on their bodies.

They would have if they thought the CSA had a good chance of winning.

The Confederates were outmanned, outgunned, and outequipped in practically every battle they fought in. Their only advantages were vastly superior officers and vastly superior morale. Every campaign for the previous two years had ended with the crushing defeat of the Army of the Potomac. Lee feared that if he left after the second day without a decisive victory his men's morale would plummet.

That was the whole point of the emancipation proclamation. The Union was getting its shit pushed in in the East and Lincoln feared that European involvement was imminent.

Lee had to press the advantage. Until Gettysburg the Confederates had been mostly steamrolling the Union in southern battles. But Lee knew they couldn't keep it up. The Union would win a war of attrition with a larger population, international trade, and better infrastructure. Gettysburg was one of the few battles that took place in the North and was the furthest North the Confederates ever got.

There is some contention among historians to if Lee was beginning to succumb mentally to high levels of stress which affected his tactics, but there is nothing concrete only interpreting.

Technology, you idiot. Also, the Chinese have had mass deaths dozens of times throughout history.

I wonder if things would have been different if Davis had let Jackson raze DC at the beginning of the war.

Lee was controlled by the jews to sabotage the confederacy. the blockade of the south was hurting international trade too much

The film was from a simpler time. The techniques used were ground breaking at the time. But you now notice the repetitive tracking shots and also limited music score. The battle scenes were top notch for the time but you can pick up where the extras had to act. I loved the Civil War fife and drum music they played organically in the film. The British officer, though based on a real person, was a tea swilling joke. I guess the director wanted everyone to know the guy is British. The film was even handed and treated both sides with respect which is rare nowadays.

It just would have angered northerners and Republicans even more and Reconstruction would have been even worse for the South.

I've walked it before in late June. Even in T-shirt/shorts it's brutal.

Not necessarily true. While Lee was successful defending Virginia, the Union was steamrolling the confederacy in the West. The North really just had to keep Lee in check for a few years.

Hell, part of Grant's commitment to the Overland campaign was to keep Lee from being able to send reinforcements to stop Sherman.

that actually explains a lot, the sequences felt very sloppy with officers going in and no scoping 5/6 guys with their old times revolvers and bearded dudes not knowing where they are supposed to be and haphazardly crossing land with no regard to their own safety

Nope. They were reenactors. Most privates in the Civil War weren't old enough to grow beards.

that's because doctrine at the time was to advance under cover of artillery fire, shoot a volley and then charge, with one side breaking very rapidly because in reality people don't get into extended bayonet fights. You then use cavalry to chase down routed forces.

Meanwhile in the US Civil War because of the lack of skilled officers, many units would just stand and shoot because that was all they were drilled to do; cavalry was pretty much relegated to scouting and mounted infantry with no real shock cavalry being employed by either side.

Napoleon never would have ordered that charge.

>rebs had a 2:1 kill death ratio in the war
>rich white southern plantation owners convinced poor white boys to fight and die for the south so they could pay slaves literally nothing depressing the wages of poor whites

How did they do it?

I agree it was sloppy with people acting uncoordinated, but I'd take thousands of real reenactors over CGI. Gettysburg > Return of the King

Southerners are descended from Scottish and Irish white trash. Barely above nigger-tier. Most of them had parasitic worms up until the 1970s.

Classy thread OP

>whole war was about slavery
lmao

The descendants of these people voted for Trump

you mean like the red state of MI, WI, OH, or PA?

:)

>What the fuck was General Lee thinking?

He wasn't.

He should have been relieved of command by Longstreet.

South still had no chance of winning the war. Vicksburg would've still fallen even if Gettysburg was a confed victory. Lets assume AoNV had taken Seminary Ridge and turned it into Fredericksburg 2: Electric Boogaloo, the Union still had the South cut in half and all of the bountiful Tennessee farmland would be taken away from the South.

You know how people always talk about how much damage Sherman/Sheridan did in Georgia and Shenandoah Valley? Tennessee was way more important for the South than any of those regions that were razed.

Just make a movie that attracts a lot of retarded larpers.
So maybe a Star Wars movie or a Viking movie.

The European press was retarded then because the Crimean War of 15 years ago had already seen massive casualties to modern firearms/artillery, the obsolesce of classical cavalry, and trench warfare

Ultimately, it was. All the "state's rights" stuff ultimately goes back to the state's right to have slavery. "Preserving our way of life" was preserving the right to have slaves.

Prussians during the war came over to America and didn't even look at Gettysburg or other major battlefields but went straight to Corinth Mississippi to check out all the fortifications since something crazy like 300 recorded skirmishes had happened there.

With Grant and Sherman literally ass raping the west of the confederacy, what was the point in continuing the fight? Why send good boys to die for a war that was already lost?

Because Lee was obsessed with protecting his home state of Virginia even at the cost of losing the western theater.

>rich white southern plantation owners convinced poor white boys to fight and die for the south so they could pay slaves literally nothing depressing the wages of poor whites
>"lmao southerners were willing to die horribly because they just really hated black people"

If they'd do it today they'll all be offered to dispose of their gear at a bonfire after filming while having their picture taken with the celebs.

>the Crimean War of 15 years ago had already seen massive casualties to modern firearms/artillery, the obsolesce of classical cavalry, and trench warfare

you do realise that the trench warfare used in Crimea would have been familar to Lord Wellington?(in fact one of his ealiest tastes of battle was in the sap trenches at Seringapatam)