Thoughts on the original 1968 Planet of the Apes?

Thoughts on the original 1968 Planet of the Apes?

10/10
Even the makeup holds up, for the most part. Lips don't always move when they should. It felt like one of the better Twilight Zone episodes.
If only they had stopped there.

One of the best sci-fi films ever made. I love the look of the ape town.

>10/10
This, it's a masterpiece. I love how it looks, i love the philosophical conversations and interactions, everything about it is great.

"Tell me Bright Eyes, what is the Second Article of Faith?"

And an entire generation of euphorics are created!

yes, great plot

what was her purpose in the film?

breeding stock

To market the movie to men. That was the purpose of most women in film back then.

Apeshit has always sucked.

giv slave gf, have apebux

very good. one of my favourite movies

I laughed at apeshit more than I'd like to admit REEEEE

one of the best endings ever, just a shame it's virtually impossible not to know about it already

I saw it at a Drive-In as an perhaps ten year old boy.. it was awesome .. I wish a Drive-In would run it some time... best way to see it

So what the deal with the sequels?

Why are there so many of them?

I haven't seen it yet but why was the statue of liberty the one and only landmark they saw? This suggests they were in what used to be New York city, so where were the buildings? Where were the city streets? Why was the statue the only thing left?

the costumes are dated but otherwise a great sci fi movie with great music

3000 years and nuclear war, who knows

10/10 Monkino.

That ending still legitimately books up as one of the greatest of all time.

>War for the Planet of the Apes is a sequel to the 2014 sequel to the 2011 reboot of a 2001 remake of a 1968 film which itself had 4 sequels

the new trilogy is legitimately great tbf and far better than it has any right to be

>This suggests they were in what used to be New York city, so where were the buildings?

having buildings would obvious ruin the twist at the end of the movie

Why are these movies so good ? They have no reason to be as good as they are

Still a masterpiece.

possibly best ending of all time

Yeah I know the new reboots are pretty good but i'm talking about the sequels to the original.

All of them seem to be poorly rated.

The ones made in the 70s to be specific.

But the statue was there, or at least a large portion of it.

I thought that might be the reason, shame really I feel it loses integrity this way

why would new york turn into a desert? i though they were in some other place and the remains of the statue just washed up there

would never fly nowadays

see

Great acting, great score, great sets, great writing, great directing, great makeup. Hands down my favorite movie of all time.

I can watch it over and over again and never get tired of it.

i've only seen the original, are the sequels worth watching?

I watched this without having any clue about the ending, holy shit if it wasn't one of the greatest cinematic experiences in my life.

Actual Kino
The entire stretch of the movie that lasts from Charleton Heston being captured to his escape from the ape village with Nova, Xera and Cornelius is almost perfect. The way in which it makes the audience feel Taylor's frustration at being rendered mute, and then having his voice silences by the ape council is just masterfully done
Also Nova is very cute

That seems likely as well. I guess that would place them on the African coast.

The sequels aren't as good as the original, but I think they are still definitely worth a watch.
1>4>3>5>2

Escape is the only sequel of the originals that has good ratings. Personally, I would rate Conquest much higher.

Fuck off queers

It's bad compared to the book, and even the remake is better. The special effects are ugly as fuck and really dated. The action scenes are slow and painful to watch and the music terrible. Poor cinematography there.
But the main issue is that it shows apes as inferior to humans and still beasts when in Pierre Boule's novel, there are not (which is the point of the book, we may not be the peak of evolution and we may be replaced by another specie). In the movie they howl like zoo monkeys and they aren't really advanced in terms of technology. They have guns and surgery but it contrasts with their huts and means of locomotion which makes it a bit silly. There are also great and fundamental scenes like the encounter of Nova that have been removed in the movie and the relationship of Heston with Zora is fucking ridiculous.
There are redeeming qualities like the make-up and some scenes but overall it is mediocre.
Also the plot twist doesn't convey the point of the book at all.

>tfw Nova is in War for the Planet of the Apes

BRAVO REEVES

An excellent prediction of 21st Century America's demographic shifts since its release in 1968.

Saw it recently and it triggered me that they spoke the same English or that the apes could read human alphabets when he started writing.

In the book he spends years learning ape language, but do you really want to see that on film?

Definitely,

Beneath is weird but fun

Escape has the lightest first half and the darkest second half

Conquest is my personal favorite, nice social critic

Battle is the weakest one but you've seen the first four so at least watch it

Meh, Beneath is way better than Battle. I understand not liking the mutants but Battle was plain boring and useless

They lived near New York, they probably learned language from old records and books.

this
Battle drags on for what feels like forever, and then the actual battle isn't even good. It's like 10 humans and 3 vehicles vs. some apes.

The book isn't even that good

It was fantastic.

I unironically prefer it over the remake. Haven't seen the sequels (remake), but I'm planning to.

>Implying rotten tomatoes is worth something

Damn, those are some nice looking box sets. What's on the other discs?

I know it's a narrative conventions in scifi films, humans and aliens speaking the same language for convenience and oldfag audiences were just used to it, but it's just lazy and it seems like writers avoid it nowadays. The new Apes movies for example focus more on visual storytelling instead to show the different species communicating. There are a lot of creative solutions to this problem. In the 13th Warrior, seeing the Arab learning the Viking language through observation is a fantastic scene of visual storytelling. Another nice narrative gimmick in Farscape has the human character get injected with a language vaccine which translates all species languages automatically.

I thought of that and that's a nice idea but then Heston would have realized something weird was going on if aliens spoke the same language; with this logic it makes the character a fucking retard and it kills the twist.

It still holds up, absolutely so.
Can't say a word about the sequels I've never seen but the first movie is absolutely undeniably good.

Fucking stupid, I'm supposed to believe educated astronauts wouldn't immediately realize they were on earth after finding earth life, I mean, the plant was one thing but apes and fucking HUMANS, come on

>That part where the monkey woman started craving human cock

My first boner

exposition. Taylor can't really talk to anybody for most of the film because his crewmates are lost or dead, and the apes think he's a peculiar animal. She's someone he can explain the backstory and plot to.

>Damn, those are some nice looking box sets.
until you realize that the first film has the spoiler on the front fucking cover

Conquest was the only sequel that rivaled the original

The maniacs, they blew it all up.

>tfw Draco Malfoy said in his entirely unconvincing American accent "get your hands off me you damn dirty ape"
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>he buys movies he hasn't see in theaters
The literal definition of a pleb.

>REEE THE DVD BOXSET COVER ART OF THIS 50 YEAR OLD FILM IS A SPOILER

come on now user

>travel 100s of years into future
>Nova aged 10 years since events of War of Planet of the Of Apes

>DVD
?????

well they aren't VHS and I didn't see the big fuck off BLU-RAY BITCHES BANNER so I assumed they were DVDs

Their hair colors are different. They're clearly different people.

snotty blu ray collector

it's just for reference

why is she shaved?

>well they aren't VHS

>giant VHS boxes
>VCR right below

Okay, you rused me.

Im surprised how low the audience score is. I love this one

In my defence I'm a bit drunk
Monday is my only day off

I'm going to pretend im a troll and got you thoufh
HA thanks for the you loser

Charleston Heston's sneering misanthropy is so great to watch. the banter between him and the other scientist is great, and it gave us that wonderful GIF where he laughs at the absurdity of planting a tiny American flag on the soil when all they've known is long dead.