Was Hunter Thompson the most redpilled man in history?

>Video of Thompson doing an interview during a gunfight
youtube.com/watch?v=hxjHAnfMiiI

Say what you want about his drug use but the man spoke the truth and nothing but the truth

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NHeSC_Ws5Ic
youtube.com/watch?v=xrBR1YxfJf8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

wrong link sorry

youtube.com/watch?v=NHeSC_Ws5Ic

Hunter S. Thompson was a living God
He was practically insane he was so over the top.

this is fucking art right here!

I don't understand how this guy lived as long as he did. The man was an honest to god beautiful, golden American psycho.

The man rode around with Richard Nixon in his limo taking about football during the elections. I can't imagine him getting that kind of access with either current canidate. Gonzo is a meme that's actually still entertaining to read decades later.

>pic related

The best writer since Twain. Plus he went out like a boss. RIP doctor.

What I would do to take mescaline and shoot shit with this man.

I've recently read a little bit of Better Than Sex, his Clinton '92 campaign book.

The opening page features the Snake parable Trump was always reading at rallies.

And then there's the rumors HST was an active member of the Bohemian Club. Later on in the book I saw multiple large owl-like figure drawings opening chapters and heading letters. Weird stuff.

I think I have the pdf, does anyone know how I can screenshot entire pages from out of a pdf file?

This will have to do.

The owl.

He calls Iraqis 'sand-niggers' in a letter to James Carville, kek.

He was the last true journalist

The last truth seeker

Say what you want about a majority of Thompson's life and work. It doesn't change the fact that he blew his head off and left America when it needed him most. That guy went from counterculture hero to a cowardly traitorous worthless peice of shit when he offed himself.
An extra FuckYou to Thompson for shot gun blasting himself in his family's kitchen leaving a horrible mess for family to find and deal with. That asshole lived on a ranch in the mountains. He could have gone out in a field to execute himself. No fucking reason for him to go out so messily in the family home.

whiskey journalism, according to pic related

also the owl again

his house was called Owl Farm, by the way

His letter collections are extremely redpill

Read them if you get a chance.

>practically

practically?

fear and loathing was a hoot when it came out. I always remember the part where describes the astronaut and the autograph seeker; just shits all over the american dream right there; that was a bit harsh

rubbed elbows with the angels; left bleeding by the side of the road; A+ for judgement there hst

later takes the parody of himself to imagined lengths; and undesirable too; very surprised to see the adulation here, drugs aren't that cool

Read his son's book, he tells all about what happened (he was there). He didn't use a shotgun but his favorite pistol. He couldn't go out into a field because he could hardly walk anymore, his body was pretty much wrecked. His son details his medical issues in later years (hip replacements, spinal surgery, alcohol withdrawals, seizures, all kinds of horrible shit). I doubt he would have been around much longer either way. All the booze and coke did a number on his brain from the 80s on too, he could hardly concentrate on writing anymore.

Will do, never got around to those.

is that actually possible? wouldn't you die within a few months? less?

I just read Hell's Angels a little while ago.

It seemingly came out of nowhere, his beating, he was just at a local Angels hangout and he just got stomped. When he was fleeing the scene he even had an angel passed out in his back seat.

Crazy stuff.

It's hilariously exaggerated, of course. According to what his son wrote, his daily intake was about one fifth of liquor and one to two grams of cocaine a day, though. And that's just the booze and coke.

For every "cocaine" listed it's probably just a line or two.

When you see him in old documentaries he's constantly taking tiny bumps.

You can do cocaine more or less continuously depending on the quality and as your nose goes numb from lower blood flow due to vessel constriction it takes more to get the same hit

he was gonna expose some corruption in the government and got taken out, the suicide was a fake afaik

I've always been more of a Vonnegut fan, Pyncheon is also very good but relatively heady in comparison.

Hunter was loose on the Truth in his early writings. Hell's Angels is apparently filled with bullshit and lying heavily throughout it.

He did a few good pieces though. He is very overrated because every semi-literate junkie elevates him to god status due to some broken logic of drug addict = tortured genius.

I well don't want to be the guy that goes there with this but do you think the Clintons had anything to do with his "suicide"?

the dude had inexplicable connections

I only live about 15 minutes from the Bohemian House, saw they were hiring wait staff for the event last month. Maybe I'll scope out the place and see if the Owl statue resembles that at all.

>Hunter was loose on the Truth
I don't recall who said it but that reminds me of a famous quote about how his coverage of the '72 election was 'the least factual and the most accurate'.
>the dude had inexplicable connections
I don't know about inexplicable (he was Rolling Stone political staff) but yeah, it looks like he was pretty deeply involved in the 1992 Clinton campaign as an advisor of some sort. There's a lot of correspondence in the book between him, James Carville, and George Stephanopoulos (I wonder what he really thought of that weasely twink).

There was talk about him working on both a 9/11-inside job story and him wanting to expose a White House sex ring just before his death. I don't know how credible either story is but they would involve a massive amount of high-profile people. Didn't he go semi-public about working on the 9/11 story though? I seem to recall a phone interview about that.

Nah, the Owl statue doesn't resemble it much, there are pictures. Do apply for a job though, you never know who or what you'll see. Report back, of course.

You know, there are some crazy stories about HST directing a pedo snuff movie at the Bohemian Grove. Be careful!

>Read his son's book, he tells all about what happened (he was there).

Hunter's children were partially to blame for their fathers bad mental state at the end of his life. They did him no favors in the end. They may as well be considered accessories to him pulling the trigger.

>He didn't use a shotgun but his favorite pistol.

Does this matter?

>He couldn't go out into a field because he could hardly walk anymore, his body was pretty much wrecked.

If he could make it into the kitchen he sure as hell could have crawled into the backyard.

>His son details his medical issues...

translation

>Son profits from embellishing his father's story in a way to compensate for the deserved guilt the son is feeling over the situation

Again it should be noted Hunter's kids are scum.

>I doubt he would have been around much longer

Are you a doctor?

>All the booze and coke did a number on his brain from the 80s on too, he could hardly concentrate on writing anymore.

Considering technological innovation and the current state of American mental capacity he could have banged out less then a dozen 142 character Tweets a year and still have had a meaningful impact on American culture.

Apologizing for his actions is disgusting at best. This man could have stood up and faced the degeneration of old age like a man. Instead he made excuses, copped out and made a mess. He deserves to be called out on his cowardly death to remind future generations no matter how great a man may be it only takes a moment of weakness to destroy a life's work with a final chapter no one deserved.

...There's no way the Clintons were involved in his death. He lost use of his legs, and if there's anything HST hated, it was being wheeled around in a cart. Read his suicide note ffs

this is why I was asking, I'm completely unfamiliar with all of his work from that period, but this isn't the first HST thread I've seen where somebody mentioned Bohemian Grove or the Clintons so I was wondering what you knew about it

with so many people being picked off by the Clintons as of lately, it seemed kind of a relevant question to ask

his suicide note always seemed iffy to me
surely HST would have pulled out all of the stops for his goddamn suicide note, after all, he's only been talking about it his entire damn life, but instead we get this spooky little riddle which means basically nothing to anybody

>relax
>this won't hurt

honestly, it gives me chills

No I fucking won't research to find reasons to justify and apologize for his actions ffs. I have read through enough of the after suicide works to know the guy chickened out and just gave up. The guy fucked up and I see no reason not to call him out.

What with the suicidal apologists in this thread? Is /pol reddit teir now?

When you're a rich white male at 67, life is fun when you don't have to work or budget anymore

ok shillary calm down

Not apologizing for his actions... His suicide was pretty cut and dry though.

You need to get your facts straight, first of all. Let me start you out: HST only had one child and a pistol to the roof of the mouth make a hell of a lot less of a mess than blowing your brains out with a shotgun.

You're sound optimistic about his state of being towards the end. He was a writer and a physically active person all his life, and he lost the ability to be both. This doesn't have to do with making excuses or copping out. You romanticize a chronic alcoholic chain smoking drug addict in old age. But he was a cripple, plain and simple, and he decided that it was enough.

No one cares about him killing himself. He has a huge body of work but you choose to single out the way he ended his life and whine about that.

Nobody cares about what you think about suicide, get over it.

Yeah, he was talking about suicide since at least the seventies though, in the foreword to The Great Shark Hunt he's going on about maybe jumping off the building he's writing in and how he only needs to live for 50 years.

By the way, a lot of parallels between his run for sheriff and the Trump campaign. I posted about this before.

Check it out this documentary: youtube.com/watch?v=xrBR1YxfJf8

>outsider, non-politician taking on the establishment
>'radical' political positions
>"a moralist disguised as an immoralist"
>"a campaign as much about a style of life as about political issues"
>hugely popular, brings out a lot of new interested voters
>Russian Archie Bunker (11:52) is against Thompson but would be a Trump supporter: "I would get businessman that mean business. That stand up and have backbone and will stand up for American citizens."
>Thompson supporter: "Now that we're finally registering to vote and bringing our own candidates, it's a horror. They (the establishment) want to stop it because we're liable to take it over."
>Thompson (15:04): "If I went out there and walked through the streets naked with a bomb in each hand and covered in drugs, people would still vote for me."
>people saying that if Thompson is elected sheriff they'll move out of the area
>some guy about 20 minutes in: "Hunter Thompson has no grip on reality. I think he's psychotic."
>huge turnout: mostly new, young voters

The documentary doesn't cover it, but eventually the establishment started to panic and, alledgedly, the incumbent sheriff only won because he had people rolled out from retirement homes to vote for him. Hope it doesn't go the same this year.

they did a pretty good job of showing the soul-crushing defeat on Gonzo: The Life and Work documentary

I kinda support Trump for this reason
his opinions might not be the right opinions but he has a soapbox and he's gonna use it whether we like it or not

this election has been really fucking chaotic and sometimes I wonder what the old dude would've had to say about it

I can't believe he's missing it

Yeah, I keep wondering about that too. If I had to guess, he probably would have hated Hillary, Bernie and Trump equally. He was left-libertarian against the greedheads after all.