Why does found footage get such a bad rap...

Why does found footage get such a bad rap? I feel like a lot of people just hear the genre found footage and automatically write a film off without even watching it. Which is stupid, since some of the best horrors in the past few years were found footage. You get your typical "how many more of these do we need" argument, but you could say the same for your average ghost flick or whatever stupid demon shit they push out year round.
If you don't like found footage horrors than you just don't like horror movies. Now, tell me exactly why you hate found footage or why you appreciate them like i do.

>Why does found footage get such a bad rap?

It looks like shit, sounds like garbage and the premise is typically contrived.

I quite like them if they are done well.

Blair Witch = Wonderful
Paranormal Activity = Great
Poughkeepsie Tapes = Mediocre
Chronicle = Decent film but a cash grab on a popular genre (found footage)

I love horror and feel that found footage is a great marriage with the genre but there was a lot of shit movies made, but that happens with any fad.

Found footage goes over the heads of most people. Just enjoy the fact that you're superior to everyone who can't appreciate it, like this moron The best thing about found footage is that it doesn't need a huge audience. It's a genre that can't be ruined by the pleb masses.

It usually looks like shit. Shaky cam, blurry shots, etc. A lot have a 20 minute pplot with an hour of filler badly acted relationship drama. Some have the persons still filming when it doesn't make any sense so it ruins the immersion aspect of it more than in a normally shot movie.

Some are well done. Noroi is a popular example of FF done right. Even the first few Pararomal Activity were okay before they went craycray with the time travel teleportation overcomplicated conspiracy bullshit.

Last I saw was the new Blair Witch. It sucked big time. The tunnel scene was the only good thing in the movie. The FF aspect really hurt that movie because it was really badly done, unlike the original BWP.

Found footage can be good but it spawned a lot of low quality bullshit so the signal to noise ratio is pretty bad now. But really, horror in general has this problem.

>craycray
this is unacceptable

Intentionally giving your film shit visuals and sound doesn't make it more interesting than any generic horror film. What director would ever get into film making and want to make a found footage film?

batshit insane?

better

This. Can a found footage film please just spend one minute of screentime showing the "filmer" is using a really nice camera and a small counterbalance? It'd be nice to not get motion sickness from half your shots if that's okay. Thanks.

Because found footage is the genre that Hollywood doesn't respect.
It's the cash-grab genre.
Low production costs, high returns.
They're made to be half-assed.

>motion sickness from a film
how genetically inferior does one need to be to achieve this?

>Now, tell me exactly why you hate found footage or why you appreciate them like i do.
Cause of:
>If you don't like found footage horrors than you just don't like horror movies

Well, I do like some corny horror movies, but I don't really get much out of "scary" horror movies. I find crime thrillers about serial killers to be more scary since it's something that could for the most part happen.

Also, it's a bit of a shit concept, films are a visual medium and thrives on it, found movie films aren't fun to watch and ends up looking weird and fake either way. It's scarier to just read "fake" horror stories rather than watch it.

It's too predictable and too linear.

Blair Witch was the only one that did it right.

>It's too predictable and too linear.
that's pretty much every horror film, though

>Blair Witch was the only one that did it right.
While i agree it's the pinnacle of the genre, it's just wrong to say it's the only good one. That just proves you haven't watched many.

Like anything else, first time it's original. Then gets overused to death.

Modern horror films have horrible pacing. Most found footage ones have the SAME formula nowadays.

>Oh gee wiz let's check out this abandoned house, I hope nothing scary happens :^)

I will say REC was a good step-up, but the plot made sense since the found footage was from a journalist. Blair Witch worked because you had more than one camera cutting.

>that's pretty much every horror film, though

Most horror films aren't pretending to be real.

>While i agree it's the pinnacle of the genre

So the first, or close to first, is the best and the rest are downhill. Not a ringing endorsement.

lol, you're retarded, my man.

I want more GOOD v/h/s anthology horrors

They're generally low effort movies that appeal to the lowest common denominator. In general they're commissioned by the studio who only make them because they know hoards of teenagers will go to see them just so they can talk about how hilarious it was when Stacey jumped so hard she spilled her popcorn. Chronicle, Blair Witch Project, Poughkeepsie Tapes, Noir and Last Brodcast (sans the ending) were good, the rest are garbage.

>If you don't like found footage horrors than you just don't like horror movies.
No, I'm just not a member of the lowest common denominator. I don't accept low effort shit made for teenagers. There's a reason found footage directors rarely ever transition into making real movies.

>I don't accept low effort shit made for teenagers.

I can guarantee you thought It Follows was a good horror though.
Take your pretentious faggotry somewhere else, kid.

It can be done right, it's just that it encourages lazy as fuck film making because it's so comparatively cheap to produce but earn just as much as a big budget movie.
>The Blare Witch Project - budget: $60K, gross: $248 mil
>Paranormal Activity - budget: $15K, gross: $193 mil
>Chernobyl Diaries - budget: $1 mil, gross: $37 mil
>Apollo 18 - budget: $5 mil, gross: $25 mil
>The Devil Inside - budget: $1 mil, gross: $101 mil
>Annabelle: budget: $6.5mil, gross: $231 mil
Although the best found footage movies actually aren't horror movies (like Chronicle or End of Watch) mostly because the horror genre itself encourages lazy film making because it's also relatively really cheap to make in general.

It Follows was a good film tough. That wasn't made for teenagers, that was made for horror fans by someone who appreciates the horror genre. Teenagers wouldn't enjoy It Follows you fucking autist, it's way too slow and boring for them.

Haunted house / found footage movies appeal to the lowest common denominator, high rate of studio commissioned movies made for teenagers to see so they can talk about how hilarious it was when Stacey jumped so hard she spilled her popcorn. You're that teenager. Faggot.

OVERSATURATED: the film genre

People need to stop making them entirely and let it rest for a decade or two.

Because of forced cringey humor for the first 30 minutes of the video between people and bad storylines of people that would never do the things they do in found footage films.

I liked the first couple of Paranormal Activities but they did well apparently so they needed to make like 5 of them.

>it follows
>good film
>not for teens

lol how'd i know
neck yourself, numale faggot

>Apollo 18
This one got to me. It was something completely different in the genre and seemed more realistic than most of them. Maybe it's because of the unanswered question of why we haven't been back to the moon. In 40 years of progression, we should be making regular trips to that stupid rock by now.

The premise just needs to be justified. Why does the movie NEED to be found footage? If you can't answer that then you should probably go with a more traditional camera set up.
The Bay is one that used found footage in a good way since the movie is supposed to be some underground faux-documentary and is pieced together with footage recording the event in this tiny Massachusetts town from multiple POVs.

Not an argument, explain how teenagers could possibly find such a slow, uneventful horror film entertaining.

I love your long list of quality non-existent found footage movies though.

>brings up the stupid fucking argument literally mentioned in the OP
nice

>Teenagers wouldn't enjoy It Follows

Not the guy you're replying too but you're delusional.

just stop you fucking retard

Teenagers are instinctively repelled by quality horror films that aren't haunted house / found footage movies. It Follows is a play on the lethal snail that never stops pursuing you. That is not a concept that interest them.

Again, not an arguments. No arguments from either of you.

It Follows is a slow, uneventful horror film where barely anything happens. This does not interest teenagers. They want something which is shown to have shitloads of jump scares and forced "this is scary because Hollywood tells me it is" elements. It Follows is the exact opposite of that.

what you're saying is too idiotic to warrant a rebuttal .

Basically you regret doubling down on your own bullshit and are too stubborn to admit defeat. So you're playing off your lack of an argument as "this is too stupid to respond to". Great job, kiddo.

you're implying teenagers didn't flock to see It Follows, which is literally a teenage drama dressed as a horror film. It was made for teenagers. I don't know how much more clear it can be. I'm also not sure what you're expecting me to prove. It's just common sense.

You can cling to your "victory" though. lol, fucking idiot.

cloverfield is the best found footage movie

It was fine until the parasites showed up and started blowing up the cast. Seems like having tiny monsters running around defeats the purpose of a found footage kaiju movie. Reminded me too much of the stupid raptor baby zillas in the old US godzilla.

Dude, it follows was great but it was a horror film at the end of the day. Of course it wasn't as big as something like paranormal activity but it wasn't some avant-garde masterpiece. Stop being pretentious. You sound like a 15 year old writing out a youtube comment on a tarantino video.

>it has teenaged characters so it was made for teenagers
Do you even realize what you're saying?

>it wasn't some avant-garde masterpiece
When did I ever say this? Do you have genuine autism? You're projecting your own delusions into my arguments. I said It Follows was a good horror film, which it is. Autistic faggot.

i like found footage, but that movie fucking sucked op

nothing creepy apart from when he was walking around on all fours with the mask on top of his head which has even been done before, comical voice of killer, babbies first gore and all around terrible acting by most of the cast

i regret watching it, and i regret listening to advice from Sup Forums

>we should be making regular trips to that stupid rock by now
For what? There's nothing we can use on the moon now that we can't get cheaper on earth and without the space race driven by nationalism and economic competition there's no push.

What ruins them for me is that the first hour of most FFs has that shitty reality show style editing, the awful acting kills all the tension going into the rest of the story. Even if the rest of the movie improves, I've already lost all investment.