Is Scarface legit good or is it overrated?

Is Scarface legit good or is it overrated?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BlFOTybyj40
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The extended sequence where they try to kill that guy in New York should have been taken out. Pretty much kills the momentum of the movie.

Other than that it's pretty great.

kino

overrated trash for 70s dads

overrated. also one of the worst scores out there, fuck moroder

>you will never look like young alpa chino

Why? That was pretty intense

And funny

I think it went on too long and it was not necessary to show Tony, the incestuous coke fiend killer, as a man with principles.

>Is Scarface legit good or is it overrated?
Both. It's a legit good film, but nowhere near the "OMG Greatest Movie EVAR" some people hype it to be.

>overrated trash for 70s dads
Need to wind that clock, user, it's running a bit slow. This came out in the mid 80's, and really found its audience with the kids of the 90's and 00's. Circa 2001, every third college dorm room in america had a poster of this flick. If anything, it's "Overrated trash for 2010's dads" (many of whom weren't even born in the 70's)

a-am I supposed to be a dad at 26?

It's a good movie, but I think you're confusing overrated with suburban kids hero-worshipping it because they fancy themselves drug lords because they sell dimebags to their skate boarding friends. Same people who have Sublime Tshirts and posters of Scarface on their bedroom wall and listen to Eminem and Jay-Z and other watered down "gangster" music.

Scarface is more of a nigger/chicano hero than suburban white kid hero.

It's not godfather-tier but it's pretty good

It's OK.

For some reason, my favorite part of the movie is when Tony goes to whatever-country and visits that guy's drug operation.

I thought showing him with principles humanized him and made him real. Most of these psychopathic killers stick to a certain set of rules and morality because they can justify all the horrific acts they commit. (Walter White doing everything for the good of his family for example.)

>a-am I supposed to be a dad at 26?
What? Do you think the 70's were 26 years ago, user?

overrated

If it was 50 years ago maybe

It doesn't make any logical sense to have a kid now.

AYY CHICHI GET THE YAYO

>legit good or overrated
Unironically both

Same. Showing how the day-to-day operation goes down is pretty interesting.

I'd watch a movie that showed how the bad guys acquired all their guns and gear than them actually going through with whatever their plan was.

At that point he was so far gone it didn't make sense for him to just fuck up everything with Sosa like that.

Yes, you are. Learn to prioritize.

This is the worst opinion I've read online yet today. How is the creation of life ever illogical unless you devalue humanity?

Have you ever watched Cocaine Cowboys? Though, it's not exactly that, it does go over the actual cocaine shit that was happening in Miami in the 80s.

I will never understand how people look up to Tony Montana. They probably never actually seen the movie, but only this image and the scene of him snorting coke from a big pile.
He's a complete train wreck of a human being by the end and is destroyed of everything good all because of the life-style that he chose to live and the decisions he chose to make.

When it's economically unviable, will inevitably increase carbon emission, and contribute to overpopulation.

The only countries that should be concerned with overpopulation are India and China and other African shitholes. The US and Europe are in no danger of overpopulation

Brian De Palma was the best of the brat-pack

>Fuck Moroder
Fuck you

Paul Schrader is far superior.

So you care more about the planet than yourself or other people, got it. Sorry to hear you've become so jaded user, hopefully one day you'll realize were not viruses and that you have value as a conscious being.

Tfw no coke head wife

Yeah exactly. My older brother always loved Tony and looked up to his character. He also listened to a lot of Eminem and rap in general, dropped out of college and supported donald trump. I wouldn't be surprised if there was any kind of correlation there.

Paul Schrader is a good writer
But a terrible director

>It's not godfather-tier
Understatement of the year. You get maybe one or two movies a decade that are godfather tier, max.

Auto-Focus and Affliction are better directed than anything by De Palma.

Who was in the wrong here?

Tony. 75% chance that it was Tony.

>overpopulation
You're literally declaring that your genes are worth less than those of the grimiest Indian Ganges beggar with five kids, when you declare that the world is overpopulated and it's your duty not to reproduce genes, all while dozens of charities rush to provide medical care and food to every third world spawn around the world.

How low is your self-worship that you honestly believe that?

tony for not banging his sister

My genes aren't very healthy anyway. I'm fucked up in too many ways for my offspring to have a good chance competitively. I'm not a good worker, and I'm an idealist when it comes to social and industrial progress. My genes aren't fit for what I deem to be an ideal future course for society.

I know right, boo hoo, poor me. No, I'm not complaining, I just stupidly let myself be dragged into this discussion

Fuck ju mang. No weemin! No keeds! Ju feel likah beehg mahn?

No

His accent was dumb, cuban immigrants dont sound like that

Only good scene is the pussy licking tongue scene desu

Thats the irony. All his tirades about trusting no one and relying only on himself is his undoing, it's his bad decisions that led him to his own bad end.
He wasn't really incestuous, just posessive to a fault.

Good movie that has always been rated correctly by normal people.

>a-am I supposed to be a dad at 26?
Yes, you are. I'm 26 soon to be 27 and have 2 children with the same woman, 7 and 4 years of age.

Yes. I'd love to see De Palma try and get a performance like Nolte's in Affliction on camera. I'd love to see him attempting a modicum of restraint. I'd really be tickled to see how De Palma would try humanizing Bob Crane without inserting his own perverseness into the movie.

Face it, Schrader is a master of his craft when he writes in his wheelhouse, which Affliction and Auto-Focus are. Did De Palma ever direct anything as interesting as Mishima? Absolutely not.

lmao do you want a medal for ruining your life

>having a child at 19
good for you, honestly. I was making $8 an hour at 19. Definitely not having a kid with that.

They do. My best friend growing up's dad was cuban. Stowed away it on a naval ship in Guantanamo and came to america. He sounds just like Tony.
Man could also cook like a motherfucker. Slow cooked pork shoulder with the skin turning into cracklins/chicarones, black beans and rice, and based yuca. Yum. I want to marry a cuban bitch just for the food.

legit good.

In terms of cinematic mastery, Paul Schrader has nothing. He can get a performance sometimes, and he's a good writer, but as a director he is not so good. He lacks any identity stylistically of his own. And his more recent movies are absolute trash.

You have to have your father play it for you when you're 6 to truly love, and appreciate the film.

10/10 movie for me.

>And his more recent movies are absolute trash.
what is Brian de Palma's last 5 movies for $500? At least Schrader knows how what a good script is like (even though he wrote one of De Palma's worst movies). Besides, Dog Eat Dog has Willem Dafoe and one of the best Nic Cage performances in years. What does that dyke drama with Noomi Rapace have?

good goy, keep spreading your misinformation.

>I will never understand how people look up to Tony Montana.
Because he was a self made man that came from nothing. He reached the top by taking huge risks.
And rise and fall stories are half insirational and half cautionary. But even then tony goes out by being true to himself and goes down in a blaze of glory. I don't agree with it, but i guess I see where theyre coming from.

Seek help. I don't mean that rudely - I've been where you are and it's not far from resentment and eventual hatred. Psychiatrist, priest or mentor, find one user. There are better ways to live, it's not easy but for what it's worth I'll keep you in my prayers tonight.

It's good.

It has traces of cinematic flair
Which Schrader can't do

Schrader would be nothing without Scorsese's early work

Both. Its classic Depalma. But it also has/had an obnoxious cult following.

>Which Schrader can't do
Have you even seen Dog Eat Dog? Cinematic flair all over it. And not the gaudy dripping with worthless decadence cinematic flair like you see in Bonfire of the Vanities.

I haven't seen it

But I'd rather have something stylish than something that's strictly competent

Holy fuck, kill yourself, goodest goy.

legit good meng

Tony for being overprotective, and Manny for still going after Tony's sister after he had seen how crazy Tony can get AND deciding to keep it a secret from him.

>But I'd rather have something stylish than something that's strictly competent
You're in luck my friend. Dog Eat Dog is quite stylish, shades of Abel Ferrara, De Palma, and John Cassavetes. The first and last 15 minutes will turn you on to Schrader's sensibilities.

>The first and last 15 minutes
Does that mean it's not stylized throughout?

Who was in the wrong here?

both of them

No it just means the beginning and end are quite ambitious and interesting, and both sequences tie the film together.

I meant to say there are shades of Cassavetes, Ferrara, and De Palma throughout. It is very stylized.

alright i'll try it

Well, I appreciate it, but you better pray for less fortunate people. I'm not as miserable as I may sound. I am not directionless, and sometime I might reevaluate my position regarding kids. Happy that you're doing good though. Cheers.

I hope you enjoy it. Make a thread when you finish so I can see.

Nope. I'm praying for you. The rest of the world is going to have to take a back seat today.

It's both. I used to hate it because it had insufferable thug fans, but its grown on me as formally wonderful operatic trash.

Has anyone here watched Baumbach's DePalma documentary? It's quite good and made me think if Spielberg is the movie brat who makes childlike wonder, DePalma is like the hormonal teenage boy.

Yes everyone should watch De Palma, also has some insight into the film industry and how a career is made on opportunity.

youtube.com/watch?v=BlFOTybyj40

Carlito's Way is Way better

thats the entire turning point of the movie. Tony wouldn't fuck over any boss, unless it came down to hurting kids. Its also mentioned beforehand that tony likes kids and wants kids of his own, so it's not out of the blue that he had principals.

He kinda fucked over frank before frank tried to have him killed

It also made explicit that you should never trust jews

It's a great comedy.

>t. trailer park resident

He is right. This hedonistic, selfish, childless lifestyle is relatively new and has only lead society to crumble. Having no roots, living for today, this doesn't produce prosperous or educated societies. Our priorities are all out of whack. No one takes personal responsibility anymore for themselves, their family or local community. Instead we live like degenerates and let the government in DC do whatever they want and let them dictate the lives of this whole country as long as they give us a false sense of security and free money. The Federal Reserve is the best example of this phenomenon. Society is worse of and less prosperous for it.
When society was more family-based, people were better off financially, better educated, and happier. Granted Hollywood movies show that people were miserable back then, women in particular, until they were liberated from the oppressive traditionalists by the hedonists, but this is all a lie.

Filling this overpopulated world with more of you're stupid inbred children.