Bill Cipher Statue Hunt Thread #40 (Day 13) - Wacky Races The Third: Polybius Bubbles Edition

NEW HINT:
twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/760513640378183680
"An urban legend arcade game / Gives the methods correct name / Mathematically the letters hide / In branches & knots, no matter the side"

We have to decode a secret message from the trees with the Polybius Square cipher.
Anons from Oregon, stay glued to the screen, the clue may be solved any second now.

REMEMBER:
>ONLY THE FIRST AND LAST CLUE MATTER
>JOURNAL 3 IS IRRELEVANT
>"RETURN TO WHERE IT ALL BEGAN" REFERS TO THE FIRST CLUE ONLY
>DON'T FORGET TO WATERMARK YOUR FINDINGS

CURRENT CLUE:
"Return to where it all began / The final piece is in your hands / The parchment can be such a tease / The answer's written in the trees"

IMAGE OF THE FIRST CLUE + MAP (full res):
desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/co/image/1469/63/1469631272256.jpg

IMAGE OF THE TREES:
i.4cdn.org/co/1469585885586.png

TMOGF PAGE UPDATED WITH A POLYBIUS DECODER:
themysteryofgravityfalls.com/

CODEANON'S SCRIPT:
repl.it/CihP/5

POSSIBLE LOCATIONS, CLUES, RECAPS AND STREAMS HERE:
pastebin.com/dz0Ta3cv

The statue may be in either California or Oregon. So take a trip, find it.

Previously:
Information may be updated as the hours pass, be sure to read the thread (and pastebin) and stay up to date in all Gravity Falls mania.

DO NOT POST A NEW THREAD BEFORE PAGE 10.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/raw/HUm1Y14t
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysterious_Stranger
google.com/maps/place/Masonic Cemetery/@43.689371,-124.1334433,500m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x8ac72a8f374cbef3!8m2!3d43.6894349!4d-124.1328109
google.com/maps/place/43°41'17.8"N 124°07'11.8"W/@43.6948059,-124.1318593,7358m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d43.688282!4d-124.119955
twitter.com/abood_5403/status/760639582933221376?s=09
youtube.com/watch?v=uxTQ3Qg9a3o
twitter.com/AnonBabble

7 hours and you still haven't solved it? Guess you want Tumblr to get it, after all they've already proved themselves as the real fans.

Fuck me, this is the actual previous thread:

Harambe mildly scowls upon our not having this solved yet.

Assume the position...

You'll never find it :^)

have we made any progress at all

Maybe eliminating ideas, if anything.

Here's a report of the pastebin with my garbage. I don't see anything legible from it.

pastebin.com/raw/HUm1Y14t

So there's something encoded in the tree branches? Reminds me of the lizards in the Mysterious Stranger book: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysterious_Stranger

Using your steps, I got the same thing.

Someone in the previous thread posted:

>PythCodeAnon, can someone double check something for me? I saw some speculation on reddit that the answer might be REEDSPORT,OR based on the repetitive pattern of the letters. They couldnt get it to fit the cipher though.
>
>If we use the code
>UP with leaf =1
>Down with leaf = 2
>Up = 3
>Down = 4
>Knot = 5
>
>And use the polybius table without Q
>I think it actually comes out to REEDSPORT,OR
>Unless I screwed it up somewhere

Allow me to indulge myself:
This is a puzzle, so that means we have all the pieces. We won't solve this by luck and brute force.

This also means we should be able to solve this in as few assumptions as possible, so that means we probably don't have to guess what number the branches and knots are supposed to represent. It should be obvious in retrospect.

Pretty small area. Not much space for Bill to be hiding.

well, that's a place alright

does it match up with the trail or anything?

Maybe try overlaying the map with this town as the X or hand?

We could all buy tickets to Oregon and search every part of the state. EVERY PART

I just doublechecked with
42 15 15 14 43 41 35 42 44 35 42
and REEDSPORTOR is indeed what comes up.

Has anyone tried to use a different cipher AFTER using the polybius cipher to see if there is anything? Just suggesting an idea.

Of course we have

Reposting the overlay for people who want to scan Reedsport. There are a couple areas that look almost right but nothing perfect. What should our expectation be for accuracy with this thing?

GUYS
google.com/maps/place/Masonic Cemetery/@43.689371,-124.1334433,500m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x8ac72a8f374cbef3!8m2!3d43.6894349!4d-124.1328109

It could be the "parchment is a tease" part, that we should not look at the overlay literally.
I saw that too, and there doesn't seem to be trees in the cemetery.

And the cemetery doesn't fit well with the overlay anyway.

So what have people suggested for going about the map? We must need it, or we'd've have the entire final clue from the beginning.

Then where does the parchment being a tease come? We can't just omit the original clue.

Are you kidding? It's a tease because this was a very hard clue to solve. And it rhymed. That's it!

I couldn't stay away, REEDSPORT,OR is almost impossible to make work using the cipher, i think its a false lead

>REEDSPORT,OR is almost impossible to make work using the cipher
>almost impossible
How so? The methodology is clearly outlined, and it uses consistent rules.

Not saying it's definitively correct, but it's still a lead.

What do you mean, which cipher?

tilt it 15 degrees and the part after the first curve with the 2 bumps almost seems to match the river. But then if so the path leaves the river at the next bend goes up and then back down to almost the red line of Reedsport where the woods are, and that just seems an awkward out of the way place. So I think I'm just seeing a pattern where there isn't one.

You may have something with the Masonic cemetery in reedsport or.. Where else can he leave a statue unattended? It's possible that he paid for a space in the cemetery. Also there are trees in the back and side of the cemetery. Someone can try to walk along the edge and look around. Probably worth a shot.

>Update
using the polycipher and the numbers provided it does not return REEDSPORTOR

It does if you use a square that omits Q rather than combines I/J, like the post says.

Someone on reddit posted these coordinates. Not sure where he got them from, but they do match up to Reedsport.

43.68956287, -124.11577821

Any coastal Oregon anons?

wow youre right i had the numbers in wrong, nvm thats where it is

>Not sure where he got them from
Not worth checking then.

Does Hyde or any of the other anons ready to roll know about this Reedsport stuff yet? It's a small enough area to comb the outskirts of, I think, and the discord people are working on that overlay.

Like this
google.com/maps/place/43°41'17.8"N 124°07'11.8"W/@43.6948059,-124.1318593,7358m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d43.688282!4d-124.119955

Someone on twitter claims polybius lead them to triangle park

triangle park is a baseball field in the middle of an urban area, its all just idiots spouting out bullshit. we need to find the overlay

Triangle park has like 2 trees tho

We already know the thread is being watched by the other sites. I feel like this could be a way of distracting us from looking at the puzzle.

Also all the street names are trees.

> The answer's written in the trees

I think this is a pretty big lead. Triangle Park may just be a starting point.

There's also a rusty gate that leads to the dirt road.

a rusty gate with a no trespassing sign

shit does that mean we're close (i.e. reedsport)

YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO

No. It just means he's responding to everyone complaining at him.

Oh lordy

twitter.com/abood_5403/status/760639582933221376?s=09

>user puts the MAGA hat on Bill as millions of Gravity Falls fans watch it and die from a seizure attack

Reedsport, OR is the best we've got right now and the Masonic cemetery would make sense.

Literally no one would care

This really is it...

At least Alex would, and that's all that matters.

Cemetery has no trees though

OH FUCK

I guarantee he wouldn't. Did you see the video where he came to see the puzzle? He's a normal guy with a good sense of humor. Hes not some pearl-clutching high school principal who doesnt understand a joke and has a heart attack. He's a dude online like us.

Fieldanons, I sent you guys an email. Go now, this is it.
Discord is watching.

Try it with a transparent line because I can't see shit.

We like to pretend hes some sort of villain or rival because it makes us feel important. We just want to be noticed :(...

urban legend arcade game = Polybius?

Fuck where did all the oregonanons from this morning go?

He seems pretty thin-skinned when it comes to politics.

OREGONANONS GO GO GO

Please read the thread before posting. But yeah your right

Eh. It's got that "m" shape, but most of it doesn't fit at that scale. There is that line of trees going up around the X though. It could be it.

Relevance/significance of location?

FUCK
IT ALL ADDS UP
THIS IS NOT YOUR AVERAGE COINCIDENCE, THIS IS ADVANCED COINCIDENCE.
IT'S HAPPENING.

Fuck off. It isn't perfectly alligned

checked it on google maps, that's 100% it
the trail lines up and the edge of the map lines up

someone fucking go noooow

I fixed it a bit

Still worth a shot, though.

Why the coordinates? The clue SPECIFICALLY says that the solved puzzle is letters. There shouldn't be a coordinate. It should be a town or road or something that helps us limit the area to search for a pathway that matches the outline.

look at the edge of the map lines up perfectly, and the trail is near perfect

Even though I did absolutely nothing in helping the search I'm really hoping you guys find it there

This is 100% it. Wacky Races begin!

All right. Getting more sold.

Let the Wacky Races begin.

Made a pic showing how we found Reedsport

HYDE WHERE ARE YOU
OREGANONS WHERE ARE YOU
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Let the wacky races commence!

youtube.com/watch?v=uxTQ3Qg9a3o

Someone get out there now

on my way to reedsport

How far away are you?

For the love of god download Periscope

I live in Washington and it's a 6 hour drive... there's probably no way I can get there in a reasonable time, especially if some anons are in Oregon.

Godspeed user

Checklist:

1. MAGA hat
2. Smartphone with periscope
3. A pen and a piece of paper

Just because there was a sign there once doesnt mean theres a sign there now

... Alright, you convinced me. But why the coordinates?

How were the numbers on the trees determined?

RUSTY GATE

GO GO GO

IS ANYONE CLOSE?

I though people were saying the trail would be oriented north?

b a s e d
a
s
e
d

QUICK, INFORM OUR OREGANONS:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

The coords I believe are just a marker for a path that fits near perfectly with the map overlay.
Up-facing branch with pine needles = 1
Down-facing branch with pine needles = 2
Up-facing branch naked = 3
Down-facing branch naked = 4
Knot = 5

Hidden numbers just barely visible. This is legit as fuck though.

Looks pretty close to me.