Marvel Comics Presents: Featuring the Heroes for Hire (Part 2)

Welcome back Anons! Time for Cage!

I think I may have quite literally every issue of this goddamn series. Fucking Wolverine.

Why do you think I called you a madman?

Remember in the Power Man and Iron Fist series, Cage had a model girlfriend? Kinda dumb, most famous for getting mauled by Sabertooth because he's so racist he thought all black women looked alike?

Yeah, she's dead now.

How fucked up is it that I saw that Great Batman Storytime, and genuinely thought for a moment, "Could somebody actually be trying this?"

IIRC wasn't MCP basically Wolverine's solo book before he got a proper solo book?

He was sharing it with people even at the very beginning, but he's the only consistent part of it. Near the end of the run, Ghost Rider got a consistent part as well.

>Yeah, she's dead now.

I can't believe Spider-Man killed her.
t. Daily Bugle subscriber.

Look JJ, you can use your name, we won't call BS.

Kinda fucked up.

Batman isn't like X-Men. There's gonna be pretty big chunks of 40s/50s Batman that is unscanned/unreprinted, just because of how comics worked back then, right?

>He was sharing it with people even at the very beginning

Yeah, because of the format.
But I could swear that his permanent feature status was basically a mid point between starring in miniseries and getting his own ongoin.

Madmen on the Internet have surprised me before.

I swear, 90's comics and symbiotes in particular probably caused some kinds of fucked up teeth fetishes.

>Hardcore doesn't sell

Of course not, that moron's dead now.

All right, catching you up on this Iron Fist story.
Okay, so Iron Fist's company found this weird triangle thing that they just called "the anomaly".HYDRA and AIM broke into the company to try and steal it but Danny saved it. Becoming super paranoid, he basically broke away from everyone, particularly Misty in a hilariously poorly written scene. While trying to get more info on it, he went to an old friend who he had never spoken of before, eventually meeting this lady, "Lilian Hsu". While giving her a ride back to her house, Danny fended off a HYDRA/AIM assassin (the book changed their mind on which one he worked for between issues), and he eventually slept at her place. She was kidnapped by HYDRA so they could trade for the pyramid, Danny tried to save her, only for HYDRA to capture them both. Lilian's brother tried to save them, but it didn't work out so well, but Danny managed it anyway. Eventually, they got free, only to find out that HYDRA had a second pyramid all along. And now, back to the story.

>Okay, so Iron Fist's company found this weird triangle thing that they just called "the anomaly"

It's like a Cosmic Cube, but a pyramid!

And I got the wrong page. Okay, THIS page first, then

Yeah, pretty much. The problem is that it didn't have a consistent writer like you'd expect from an ongoing, but instead they allowed every non-illiterate chucklefuck at Marvel a chance to write a Wolverine story, because of the anthology format.

Not quite. A Cosmic Cube is a reality warping tool, whereas these things apparently create portals to another dimension.

>The problem is that it didn't have a consistent writer like you'd expect from an ongoing, but instead they allowed every non-illiterate chucklefuck at Marvel a chance to write a Wolverine story, because of the anthology format.

It wasn't always limited to Wolverine, as we can see.

>"Be careful with this."
>"Relax."
>chucks the fucking thing

Yeah, but most people back then wanted to write Wolvie because they're hacks. No really, looking at the creative teams most of the time I have no idea who these people even are. The guy writing the Wolverine story in this issue calls himself "Professor". "Professor"!!

Oh great, the Cosmic Pyramids are sentient too. Always a good sign.

More in the "Platonic solid shaped macguffin" sense.

Wow, he really does call himself that. Right there in the credits any everything.

And since someone in the last thread asked for this story...

>Writer - SANDY PLUNKETT
>Artist - SANDY PLUNKETT
>Colorist - SANDY PLUNKETT

Wow, someone really liked Ant-Man huh.

I don't know about you, but I like when we see a comic book made almost entirely by one guy. We get a more "pure" vision, if that makes any sense.

Or maybe I'm just struggling to justify how much I like Starlin's Marvel stuff.

Scott Lang is pretty endearing.

Unless you're Bendis of course. Then you blow him up like a punk, because fuck you, you aren't a big enough deal to survive!

If there's one thing I like more than making fun of The Living Weapon, it's Bendis.
And good lord, will he be giving us a lot to make fun of...

I totally get what you mean, which is why I enjoy Brandon Graham and his posse so much (even if the guy himself is kind of a twat).

Fun (?) fact: Bendis' original plan was to kill off Lang in Alias by having him be eaten by his own ants.

Dude, don't talk shit when he's close enough to punch you.

>Unless you're Bendis of course. Then you blow him up like a punk, because fuck you, you aren't a big enough deal to survive!

Has he "realized" that Lang is a good character now that he's been in two movies?
Or is he safely in the hands of Spencer?

I wouldn't be surprised if he forgot he killed Lang. I mean, it's the Wanda and Nova fans who have been out for his blood for most of the time.

And now, back to this.

There's a reason why he's Hawkeye's favourite.

Westerns are a a genre with tons of potential.
It's a shame Marvel messed up their MAX revival of theirs by going from two great minis into the Rawhide Kid gayjokepalooza.

>Fun (?) fact: Bendis' original plan was to kill off Lang in Alias by having him be eaten by his own ants.

Is that confirmed? Because if so, that's like "weird prejudice" level spite to a character barely anybody cared about. I was under the impression that, until Spencer's first series, Lang was the Ant-Man nobody gave a shit about, when compared to Hank "Biggest Fuckup" Pym and Eric Ogrady.

Well, I think of his Disassembled kill list, Jack of Hearts (god how did he start as a White Tiger villain) is the only still dead.

>Lang was the Ant-Man nobody gave a shit about, when compared to Hank "Biggest Fuckup" Pym and Eric Ogrady.

But with no Scott Lang, we don't get MC2 Stinger, or Stature (or now, apparently, 616 Stinger)
And that would be wholly unacceptable.

Nope, HE came back in one of the Marvel Zombies issues. And one of the things I'm looking forward to about these long-term storytimes is how characters are introduced and grow (or in some cases, regress) into the characters they are now.

I'm thinking of, when we finally catch up to what was just released that month, I'll re-post Luke and Danny's first issues, so we can see just how much the characters have changed.

It hasn't been confirmed because Bendis would never admit to it, but you can see his original death in the actual series as a hallucination. This is the same series that gave us the main protagonist masturbating to a picture of Johnny Storm, taking it up the ass from Luke Cage, and taking a goddamn shit, so, really, sky's the limit when it comes to Alias.

Pretty much. MCP will always have a place in my heart because of Joe Mad's first professional comic art featuring in it as well as Barry Windsor-Smith's Weapon X.

Oh, I know what you're referring to (because she's as tied into the two of them as Misty Knight is I'm going to be doing Alias and The Pulse when we get to it), but the idea that he just REALLY wanted to kill Lang? What, did Lang once kick Kitty Pryde's ass or something?

Kinda like the Siege Perilous or the Black Vortex then?

Not quite, since it's a bit more specific.
Trust me, we'll see when we finish this series. This particular plot point is resolved outside of MCP.

>Do the Disney people know about this?
First off, lol ironic reference
Secondly, what?! The hell is that supposed to mean?

So it turns out what they really connected to, was this ugly little Goblin's dimension.

Character independent narration like this, while it could easily overpower things when overdone, does add a level of bookishness that a lot of modern books lack.

Oh thank god, I didn't want to embarrass myself if it turned out I was the only one who didn't get the joke.

He had that weird hateboner for Avengers who weren't big names on their own.

And then despite that he still added Cage to the team even though Cage hadn't had a solo book in over a decade.

>"I don't even wish to remind you of how you left the woman named Misty Knight."

No, please remind him. That's basically the most dickish thing Danny's ever done. He does something later that's a much bigger deal, but that's out of an attempt to do good (and nobody ever accused Danny of being a good planner).

>"What if Tetsuya Nomura designed the new Iron Fist costume?"

Mister Poopa here has just made this story even worse than that crappy Misty breakup.

He needed to lose Rand, and all those non-characters that were supposedly close to him? Even though he was basically just dead?

Seriously, just look at that overdesigned piece of trash. That's probably the worst outfit Danny's ever worn in his entire career, yes, even worse than the red one!

Hoo boy.
I like the bandages desu

I won't lie, this cover makes me chuckle when I have the idea of angry Wolverine just randomly wearing a lei.

Which ones? That costume is 20% bandages!

Why is Danny suddenly friends with a Hobbit again?

The ones wrapped around his hands. I'm a sucker for that kinda shit.

OH GOD FUCK KILL IT!

Slott?
Slott?
SLLLOOOOOOOTTTT!?!?!

I was going to make a joke about hobbits having hairy feet, before I saw that we never actually see this guy's feet.

You read that right. Dan Slott, the writer of Amazing Spider-Man, wrote a Wolverine five-parter.

>tfw your costume is so poorly recieved, it gets changed back in the very next issue

>We'd rather die than fail our senpai!

And Danny's working with Misty and Colleen again.
Normally I'd whine that they're ignoring the last story... but that story was complete shit, so I don't mind.

Remember when this guy was an Iron Fist villain?
Remember when Danny beat him blind, without using the Iron Fist, TWICE?

SEE?! Even this guy knows that nobody calls him "Daniel", everyone calls him "Danny". This would be like if someone called Nightwing "Richard".

He's about to debut in my storytime.
Pretty excited desu

Someone BESIDES Raven, because I know at least one of you has a list of everyone who calls him that. You know what I mean.

He already showed up back when you were doing the back-ups to "Classic X-Men", remember?
Granted, those stories were published later, since a few of them dealt with later retcons like the whole "Phoenix Force replaced Jean on the shuttle" nonsense.

New writer, less "Why is Iron Fist dating Misty Knight when he could have a superior Asian waifu"

Oh right, d'oh. First "official" debut, I meant. Crazy to think a character so ingrained in the X-Men mythos debuted as an Iron Fist baddie.

Yeesh, that Colleen. Some of this art makes the fact that MCP was often a tryout book for new guys pretty clear.

>Iron Fist vs. Sabertooth
>Harmony Young is back (sorta) for the first time since more or less Owlsly's run started.

This is some throwback.

Not really, Claremont did that with a lot of characters, like Mystique who was a big Ms. Marvel rogue. Luckily, unlike Carol, Danny had enough rogues on his own, whereas almost all of Carol's noteworthy ones were taken.

Yeah, you're right now that I think about it. Even Wolverine wasn't an X-Men character originally.

Baller cover.

Speaking of, are you going to run ALL of the various "Hulk vs. Wolverine: THE REMATCH" issues that probably occurred countless times?

No, only the ones that happened in X-titles, no Hulk stuff. I am running that hilariously delayed Ultimate mini by Damon Lindelof though.