What are comics/super heroes/etc that are... metroid-y?

what are comics/super heroes/etc that are... metroid-y?

comics/super heroes/etc that are vaguely written and thus fans have a million different headcanons about and then they scream and gnash their teeth when the creator decides to tell them their headcanons were wrong?

uhhhh, i just meant in terms of the and sci-fi look and feel of it, mysterious and obscure but kinda cartoony at the same time

Tall blonde superheroine who got powers from being genetically fused with aliens? Genocided an alien race so hard they're now all terrified of her? Really bad motherhood storyline?

MovieBob pls go shitpost somewhere else.

Exactly ero people wanted Samus to be a generic "broken" anime waifu who's defined by her relationship to her daddy figure. That's literally the least interesting interpretation you could have.

Samurai Jack.

hmmmmmm.

Did it bother anyone else how anime she got after Metroid Prime?

Armor and unuscione

Isn't that how she started?

They ruined her and you know it.

>Other M
>Samus is not independent
>has to ask permission to use her already acquired upgrades, even if it means her dying from not using them
>irrationally scared of Ridley even after 'killing' him at least 3 times prior to other m
>spends most of the game complaining about Adam in dragged out monologues
>Ridley is a rabbit baby

And that's not even mentioning the boring rage inducing gameplay.

>Killing Ridley 3 times
Actually, she only killed Ridley once by the time of Other M. Hence why she freaked out upon seeing him alive.
They fought in original Metroid, but Ridley survived. Prime is a separate canon from Other M, so those games don't count. Then she killed him in Super.
In any case, I like to think of it like this: Other M isn't usual Samus. It's Samus when she's had a really off week and is feeling depressed about it. Normally she's more of the lone hunter badass we know and love, but she's been having a really rough time and isn't entirely stable by the time of that game.

>It's a "I'm too scared to make a thread on Sup Forums so I'll post it on Sup Forums" thread

For a series most well known for its strong, brave main character, Metroidfags sure are cowards.

Not really.

Dobson, stop posting on Sup Forums. Your patreon isn't going to make money that way.

Does Dobson not like anime?
I'm not sure what angle you're going for here.

>Prime is a separate canon from Other M
wut

Please don't make Samus look bad by comparing Carol to her.

Metroid was inspired by the aliens franchise. Don't know if you would be into watching the aliens movies.

Nobody has written a personality for samus that everyone can agree on.

Though my personal headcannon has her be more like Bobafett in terms of personality.

I always picture her as reserved but driven. Like outside of her armor she's mostly quite, what with spending most of her time alone in the emptiness of space, but at the the same time projects and air of power. I mean, this is someone who quit the military because it didn't allow her to kick enough asses.
Whatever people think, I feel like we can all agree that Other M got it wrong. I don't care that it was canon, that shit was just wrong.

one, two were great.

three was meh.

Resurrection had that corny 70's scifi mood to it.

I imagine her as a loner that's not afraid of helping when she can, but still keeps her distance because of her occupation.

>Nobody has written a personality for samus that everyone can agree on.

In my head its 2/5 Ripley, 1/5 the old Laura Croft, 1/5 Sarah Connor, and 1/5 Faye Valentine

She is a loner bounty hunter that travels to completely unknown places without much of the way of back up and has to improvise solutions and tactics to deal with otherwise otherworldly forces. There is very much a "This needs to be done by someone and I am the best to do so" about all of the metroid games.

Huh, it's almost as if everyone has the same basic idea about who she is based on her actions and the circumstances she willingly puts herself in and then Other M proceed to shit all over that.

Sakurai said Prime is an alternate story line to the main one. Thus, by the time of Other M, Samus has only fought Ridley twice, and killed him only once.

> metroid is red autist running around blasting things
> ironman is red autist flying around blasting things
Your welcome

The Shi Ar remind me a little of the Chozo

>Sakurai said Prime is an alternate story line to the main one

First of all, It's Sakamoto. And no, he said literally the opposite. Prime is not a "gaiden", it's just as canon as the rest of the series.

If Metroid belonged to Marvel

the Chozo would be mytical ancestors of the Shi Ar, and Samus would be a starjammer or guardian of the Galaxy.

>starjammer or guardian of the Galaxy.
>in modern marvel

Thank God in heaven I've been spared this.

Prime 3 and the Brawl incarnations are my favorite. Prime 1 just doesn't do it for me for some reason, Prime 2 and Hunters looks awful, but 3 and Brawl were a good balance of severe and beautiful to me.

>>

I never got why Nintendo focuses on Samus being demure when she's a battle hardened bounty hunter. They have princesses for that.

They focus on it because they're caught up in making her a waifu. I'd like my Samus to have a hardened, terrible beauty, but you're right in saying that demure is a swing and a miss.

No, she'd be an Inhuman

Because that's the point of the suit. Power suit is for battle hardened bounty hunting, being out of the suit is for being a beautiful woman.

It's about contrast between the two, that's what Nintendo focuses on.

That and she was raised by mystical bird aliens so just might not be that comfortable with social situations in the first place as a result of living so long away from other humans.

>Sakurai
This isn't Kirby or Smash, sir.

Dark Horse Aliens comics.
XO Manowar.

He clearly meant Prime is a side story. It isn't Metroid 1.5. It's the Prometheus of Metroid. Same universe, different plot.

Hell yeah

Fucking REPORTED. Stop making Metroid threads on Sup Forums baka.

Seems like an appropriate place to ask: does anyone have that Ms paint comic about some guy slowly turning into a fly-like creature after being thrown into a weird put in a strange unearthly world? He had a cat too, or something.

>Space mercenary chuck with high tech weapons fighting alien infestation with an 80s twist.

Dark Horse's Alien Series might appeal

No, fuck you. Metroid threads on Sup Forums are the fucking best.

Agreed. Mostly because if things get off track into shitposting, we've got a lot of fanart and Space Pirates comics to dump.

I like how you have to announce your reporting, like as to make a stand or a point when it's not even up to you to decide.

>wut

The Metroid Prime games were made by an American studio.

Nintendo, being a Japanese company, does not consider any games made by foreign studios to be "canon".

The Prime games are about as legitimate as the CD-I Zelda games, so far as Nintendo of Japan is concerned.

they did ruin her but he's still right

sakamoto was right when he said that everyone having a different idea of samus was bad for the series. he was wrong about literally everything else but he was right about that.

>The Prime games are about as legitimate as the CD-I Zelda games, so far as Nintendo of Japan is concerned.

1/10

>Nintendo, being a Japanese company, does not consider any games made by foreign studios to be "canon".

I've read that Miyamoto hated Donkey Kong Country with a passion and openly talked shit about Rare in interviews.

Not surprised.

Iron Man #237, OP

That comic was made by Japs trying to be westaboos.

when retro was finished with metroid prime they were immediately put on projects that were much more important than metroid could ever hope to be

there is no secret conspiracy against retro studios

the varia suit is a bunch of 80s mecha parts slapped together

she was always anime

they just had the sense to rip off the good shit back then

The Metroid Prime games bombed in Japan because they were FPS. The Japanese have a cultural dislike of FPS games (I heard they get motion sickness or epilepsy more easily or something).

So it makes sense that since no one in Japan played them or enjoyed them, they would not be considered canon by the Japanese.

Oh fuck off. Only Sakamoto possibly thought that the series wasn't canon and lord knows no one gives a fuck what he thinks now after Other M. Possibly Sakurai as well but he has nothing to do with Metroid so who gives a shit.

Most other people at Nintendo, including Tanabe, seem to respect Prime and consider it canon.

>Nintendo, being a Japanese company, does not consider any games made by foreign studios to be "canon".

They can't seem to make up their minds how much of the Donkey Kong games made by Rare "count". Sometimes they go with Rare's canon that the current Donkey Kong is the offspring of the original Donkey Kong, sometimes they don't.

It's like they're caught between their desire to make money off of a popular franchise made by gaijin, and their Japanese nature to be xenophobic isolationists who must purge all gaijin taint from their business.

It's fun to watch.

its amazing how many people don't understand this

be mad at nintendo for being incapable of showing restraint, but there's a point to samus being a beautiful woman and not a grizzled warrior under the armor

You can be as butthurt as you please. But if the Prime games weren't made by Nintendo, then the SHOULDN'T count.

no seriously there isn't some kind of secret resentment towards their western developers, with the possible exception of NST

nintendo really likes seeing NST suffer for some reason

Funny, the Metroid Prime games did better than Other M did commercially and they also seem to have their own dedicated fanbase. Most Japanese fans seem to vastly prefer the Prime subseries than Other M.

Also from what I've heard, the Prime games were never localized all that well into Japan. Supposedly for one thing, they replaced the more imaginative area names with generic names, with stuff like, "Fire Area," instead of "Magmoor Caverns."

Nintendo's goal first and foremost is to appease their Japanese consumers. Foreign consumers are an afterthought. And they receive serious backlash when they try to appeal to foreigners, anyway.

I was reading a translation of 2chan users when Little Mac was revealed for SSB. The Punch Out games were never popular in Japan, so the inclusion of Little Mac was seen as an appeal to outsiders. Japanese fans were livid; SSB is a Japanese game and should only be concerned with Japanese gamers.

They wanted more Fire Emblem characters.

metroid's problem in japan is that a lot of the people who would be into those sort of games over there moved on to the playstation and never looked back

Oh?

Nintendo of Japan was burned by American developers so much in the 80s, they pretty much outright refuse to work with or trust Western companies now n days.

Their earliest forays into media resulted in shit like Captain N, the Super Shows, the LoZ cartoon. Or the awful Valiant comics. Or the fuckin Bob Hoskin/John Leguizamo Mario Bros movie.

Western game developers were further hurting the brand with heinous dogshit like the CD-I Zelda and Mario titles, or off-model, unplayable stuff like Mario is Missing.

NoJ doesn't want to reach across the ocean and work with Westerners anymore. And you can't really blame them. The "If it's good enough for Japan, it's good enough for everyone else" business model has been working just fine for them since the 2000s.

>I was reading a translation of 2chan users when Little Mac was revealed for SSB.
this is like judging what americans are like by reading Sup Forums

both retro's and rare's donkey kong country are super popular over in japan. they fuckin love that shit, they don't care that it's made by westerners

when nintendo needed mario kart 7 out on the double cause the 3ds was bombing hard, they went to retro studios for help

they give next level games good projects all the time (federation force is a dumb idea but that one's on tanabe)

they don't hate their western developers except for NST

they really fucking hate NST and like to inflict pain on them. i don't know why.

think about this one

metroid used to sell fine in japan until the 8 year gap

Which 8 year gap?

>They wanted more Fire Emblem characters.

Sigh.

Of course they did.

He's talking about the 8 year gap between Super and Prime/Fusion.

Also I don't know about that, honestly.

Metroid fans in general tend to also be huge fans of other Nintendo properties. There's generally a ton of overlap period between fanbases of every Nintendo franchise.

Metroid has just always been niche as fuck.

Metroid didn't start to become popular in Japan until Fusion and the introduction of the Zero Suit.

Waifus are the only thing Japanese gamers care about, so that's all Samus is ever going to be from now on.

>Metroid didn't start to become popular in Japan until Fusion and the introduction of the Zero Suit.
The Zero Suit was introduced in Zero Mission though.

>Metroid has just always been niche as fuck.
It's a shame they are really fun games.

Shock of shocks, a guy complaining about Japan ruining Metroid or Samus being seen out of her suit doesn't play Metroid games.

best selling metroid games in japan were the first two (both sold over a million) and super (over 500k)

fusion didn't do so hot and zero mission mega bombed in japan

japan didn't really care for other m much either, barely outselling fusion which is catastrophic considering the game's goals and budget

I get the feeling the only reason NintendoJapan let Retro make the Prime games in the first place was because they were genre and mechanic experimenting with so many of their franchises in the Gamecube era.

Star Fox Adventures was a third person action-platformer and not a space shooter.

Luigi's Mansion and Mario Sunshine added weird upgradable weapons to the gameplay.

And Metroid Prime was an FPS.

If Nintendo hadn't been in that experimental phase, Prime never would've been allowed to happen. And now that that phase is long out of their system, we won't be seeing anything like Prime again.

It's almost like... Metroid is only popular/profitable with foreign markets, and so trying to change it to appeal exclusively to Japanese markets where it's never been fashionable is a... bad idea?

NAH. Fuck the gaijin. Miyamoto-sama knows what's best.

aint his call, mainline and prime are split up between two departments

miyamoto wants to see another prime

he also wants to see NST dead. dunno why that is.

>NST
?

Miyamoto hates pregnancies, I guess.

>NST
>NST
>NST

Wtf are you sperging out about, now?

No I mean I don't know what the fuck that stands for.

>Star Fox Adventures was a third person action-platformer and not a space shooter. Luigi's Mansion and Mario Sunshine added weird upgradable weapons to the gameplay. And Metroid Prime was an FPS.

Metroid Prime was the only good one of any of those.

what

>Luigi's Mansion
>Super Mario Sunshine
>Bad

He's got a point. Nintendo never seems to let NST do ANYTHING but shovelware these days.

That's all NST has done since 2004. That company had what, three decent titles of their own?

I remember for about a decade everybody blamed Sonic X-Treme's never coming out with SoJ's feud with SoA. It was heralded as some sort of lost messiah of Sonic, a game that would have been revolutionary and amazing if it weren't for those goddamn Nippons.

And then the concepts and builds eventually leaked, and it turned out that the game was absolutely awful from the ground up in damn near every incarnation. The feud had certainly negatively affected the game, but the devs who were so quick to pass the blame were fucking terrible all on their own and deserved to have that game canned.

Project HAMMER has a lot of the same tone.

>If Nintendo hadn't been in that experimental phase, Prime never would've been allowed to happen. And now that that phase is long out of their system, we won't be seeing anything like Prime again.
tanabe, miyamoto and even sakamoto want to see retro make a new one

they've all said it at one point. retro is one of their crown jewels

what they don't want to see is hunters 2 because they want nst's building destroyed. details unclear.

federation force started life as a hunters follow up and NST didn't even know about it until it was unveiled

>itt
>WAH WAH WAH Why won't those racists at Nintendo make a game that appeals to ME!?

Yes, Nintendo has been isolationist since the early 2000s. Yes, they've been deliberately steering their brand away from Western tastes.

But they've also been making record profits since then and without all the embarrassing shit they wound up regretting during the 80s and 90s.

So why the fuck SHOULD they try to appeal to Westerners when their Japan First business strategy has been working so well these past 15 years?

Yeah. I mean I don't rage about it or anything I just think it's rather silly. I don't want Samus to be overly butch or dykeish, but making her too animu waifu looking is also going in the direction IMO.

In Prime she's perfectly attractive but she doesn't look done up. It's a practical kind of beauty and even extends to her hairstyle, which is just a simple ponytail instead of an elaborate 'do.

>mole

>But they've also been making record profits

I thought they've been struggling ever since the bottom fell out of the Wii and they never recovered.

Probably explains why they had to work with a gaijin company like Disney and license out their IPs were Wreck-It Ralph. They can't afford to be xenophobic seppuku-holics anymore.

its the mind of an sjw

>Probably explains why they had to work with a gaijin company like Disney and license out their IPs were Wreck-It Ralph.

If it hadn't been Disney, Nintendo would have never even entertained the idea of licensing their IPs to a foreign company.

It just so happens that Disney has a superb presence in Japan and a big working relationship with Japanese corporations.

fusion samus is my favorite because her appearance is mature confident and laid back, plus she looks like a leiji matsumoto character and i like it when metroid has some 80s anime influence in it

Yeah, I like this one too.

Yeah, that's probably the best. Prime's is okay, but it sort of makes her look like a forty year old housewife. Fusion's Samus looks like she actually has a life outside of her games.