Archie Comics being sued again for copyright infringement

tssznews.com/2016/08/03/archie-lawsuit-documents-scott-fulop-is-plaintiff-cites-almost-1000-examples-of-alleged-copyright-infingement-in-comics/

This could kill Archie Comics.

Other urls found in this thread:

tssznews.com/2016/08/03/fulop-lawsuit-alleges-letter-to-archie-sparked-failed-settlement-negotiation/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Hopefully it kills them before that godawful CW show comes out.

>Archie being sued over Donut Steels again

Fucking Penders and the bullshit he has wrought

>Is not Panders but is still sonic related

Have any of his characters even been used lately? I looked at his characters and I pick up a Sonic comic every once in a while and have never seen those stupid donut steels.

I heard it was good though?

Scott Fulop is pretty much the only Sonic comic writer who actually likes Penders. Chances are, Penders talked him into this.

I haven't read it in a while, but after the Penders suit, the only one that's shown up is Black Death and he was created and killed in a mini arc.

>edgy murder mystery plot
>juggs and archie arent bros
>moose liking milfs
>betty and ronnie having makeout sessions
No

It's probably a joint plan to kill Archie out of spite.

Jesus fucking Christ, no matter how you spin it, it's fucking Penders.

Wait, I forgot there was another Black Death, so no, none of these characters have shown up since the Penders lawsuit.

Wait I can't remember the last time I saw any of those three

I've been going to the story times because of penders leaving

None of those characters have shown up post-reboot. Fulop's suing over reprints and digital sales.

What fuck

This does smell like Penders

He couldn't get his shitty comic going so if he's going down he's taking Archie comics with him

What would Flynn do without Archie and Sonic? Who else would hire him?

>betty and ronnie having makeout sessions

I don't see the problem with this.

He's dropped hints about writing for SEGA

Somebody just needs to take a shotgun to Penders.

Isn't he freelance? IIRC, he's also written for IDW's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics.

Somehow, I think that might actually create more problems than it would solve. Unfortunate, really. It seems like it would be so satisfying.

"The complaint mentions the following characters as being part of his original work:

Mammoth Mogul
Sergeant Simian
Lightning Lynx
Predator Hawk
Flying Frog
The Fearsome Foursome (group name for Sergeant Simian, Lightning Lynx, Predator Hawk
and Flying Frog
Merlin Prower
Sir Connery, the Mighty Crusader
Black Death
Enchantress
Mathias Poe
Damocles the Elder
The Swords of Acorns
The Sword of Light
The Land of Dark
Fly, Fly Freddy"

Wow, an entire legion of literally whos. I'm disgusted these fuckers don't have enough originality to just make new characters instead of trying to leech their old furshit OCs back from Archie.

>Archie being sued over Donut Steels again
Why does Archie have such a problem with this? Are they not like the Big 2 that force creators to sign over characters they make?

Keep in mind that the "Black Death" he wrote is the magic cat from the pre-reboot universe, not the dead alien overlord from the post-reboot universe. They share nothing in common except the name.

Sergeant Simian and the gang were great in the arc about Scourge escaping multiverse jail. I also liked a few Mammoth Mogul stories.

Archie's contracts were apparently lost in a fire, and the backups were considered to be inadmissable in the Penders case due to their legal team's fuckups (needless to say, the legal team was fired and replaced to a man).

Fulop knows this and is taking advantage of it. He would have never done this had Penders lost the case.

The fact that why would they even want archie is they could just have each other

They were apprently selling reprints of preboot comics, the writer Scott Fulop is suing because that infringes on his copy rights to those characters. Either that or he's just a greedy jew.

While he's not the direct cause, you can tell he is probably involved in some way.

Same reason Archie could just choose one of them but instead bangs both.

Why wait until now?

Penders essentially got away with it almost three years ago, if he wants to be greedy then he should've attacked right after Penders instead of possibly fucking up with statue of limitations.

I don't really care about Archie, but I do find it hilarious that although the Sonic fandom is dying it seems like it's going down in the most obnoxiously terrible way possible.

Maybe Archie can get Slott to come back and write for them.

>Sonic fandom is dying
>after the reveal of Mania and Sonic 2017

Yeah, no.

That game is getting nowhere near the amount of hype that Sonic 2006 got, and you know it.

It would only make problems for the guy who shoots him. They would be like the sacrificial lamb. And we would sing their praises everyday. Glory to the Penders Killer. Hallelujah.

Sonic Mania and Sonic 2017 are SURPASSING Sonic 06's hype in my opinion, not only because Christian Whitehead is helping return Sonic to his roots but also because if Project 2017 is anything to go by, SEGA is actually giving these companies time to finish their god damn games this time.

>Why wait until now?
>35. Thereafter, Penders informed Fulop that Defendant ACP was beginning to reprint certain stories written solely by Fulop, reprint certain stories written and/or illustrated solely by Penders, reprint certain stories co-written by Fulop and Penders, reprint certain stories co-written by Fulop, Penders and other writers, as well as continuing to use some of their respective new and original characters in new stories and in other media.

Penders told him to.

Weren't they part of the Penders lawsuit?

>moose liking milfs

How is that a problem?

>Weren't they part of the Penders lawsuit?

No, but they were removed from the comic with the reboot (like every other comics-exclusive character not created by Ian Flynn) just in case Fulop decided to sue Archie himself (the same goes for all the other non-Flynn writers who worked on the comic pre-reboot). Clearly, this didn't stop him.

I have never heard of a list of literally who's this hard in a long time.
And someones trying to sue over this?

Holy shit, is Sonic stil relevant?

They're not just citing Archie for fanfiction characters but Sega as well.

Maybe papa SEGA will actually step in this time and smash the shit out of this case with some Big Business lawyering.

Have you been under a rock for the past few weeks?

>Sega announced two new games, one of which (a brand-new 2D game made by, among others, Christian "Taxman" Whitehead) is getting a lot of hype with its Comic-Con demo (the other, less so due to the public only seeing a CGI trailer).
>The Sonic event at Comic-Con, despite some major audio glitches and blatant Totino's advertising, was well-received.
>Archie's Sonic: Mega Drive has been selling like hotcakes to the extent that they're putting out a second printing later this year (which they've NEVER done before).

Yeah, with this recent upswing in popularity, I'd say Sonic is more relevant now than it's been in a while.

I think he means; why did he take so long to do it? The Penders suit was years ago, I'd expect his to come out during, or a few months after the Penders suit.

I don't know, but I'm reasonably certain that Archie's going to be turning that against him in court.

>Somebody just needs to take a shotgun to Penders.
agreed, hell if I could do it without facing any legal consequences I'd take a power sander to his crotch and hands

also hopefully this mess will be resolved before Sega decides to yank the Sonic licence from Archie

Considering they're also in the firing line, I think this is the last straw for them

>penders has reprint rights
Ok i knew they fucked up and gave him the characters but the fuck kind of contract did they give penders that he can stop them reprinting.

Or is this a destroyed in a flood type situation but with somebody thats very slightly less of an arsehole.

Because betty and veronica dont have a relationship anything like that.

Perhaps a video game company?

Jesus fuck its bob kane all over again

It was bob kane whos contracts were lost in a flood right or am i thinking of somebody else

Probably thinking of someone else. The Bob Kane thing was that he lied about his age and signed the contract at 17 years old, making it null in a court of law, and DC didn't figure that out until after Batman got huge, so Kane took advantage of that to get himself a damn juicy deal.
It was a pretty slick move in a way- shame it was the work of a slimeball instead of someone who actually could draw his own characters to save his life.

Man, fuck Bob Kane.

Let them burn.

Fuck Sonic the Hedgehog. Those comics should have never been made in the first place. Keep Archie Archie.

Autists still exist so yes

Fuck off Boco

Go to Sega and write the Sonic games.

Because nobody gives a shit about Penders and his crappy fan fiction.

Would the court take THIS thing seriously!?

No.

Diva-isnous is not a word!

Didn't Sega say "one more time and it's over"?

Even if this doesn't kill Archie, it might kill the Sonic book.

Yup

Let's hope Mega Drive finishes until then, that's literally the only comic I care about right now

I don't think you people understand.

SEGA has absolutely no interest in characters like Sally, Bunnie, Antoine, Rotor or anybody else from SatAM.

Once SEGA pulls the plug on the Archie book, that's it. These characters will be gone. FOREVER.

YOU WILL NEVER SEE THEM AGAIN.

Eh, I'd be alright with that, honestly.

Just abandon the Sonic comic. It's not even that good of an adaptation.

I can't see this hurting Archie though. Don't they make good money from their comics?

>go to court over cartoon animals

I wish I could sit in on this case, just to hear the Judge squint his eyes and say "Mammoth Mogul" or any of the other absurd names over and over again.

Oh well.

>YOU WILL NEVER SEE THEM AGAIN.

I don't think I could live without my monthly dose of Bunnie's bosom.

good, they're a relic of the past and they should stay in the 90's

ill miss Scratch and Grounder though, Snivley too

>It will be good this time - just like the old days

Even the best Sonic games are mediocre. His fanbase is the single most cancerous fandom on the planet.

Time for more Rick and Morty reading court dockets.

No problem, we'll just take your life.
Ha Ha
Ha Haaaaaa

>Once SEGA pulls the plug on the Archie book, that's it. These characters will be gone. FOREVER.

When Sonic the Comic was cancelled by Fleetway, none of those characters were ever seen or used again.

And yet, the UK Sonic fandom managed to survive despite knowing full well they'd never see such classic, multidimensional characters as Johnny Lightfoot and Porker Lewis ever again.

Soldier on.

Tekno and Ebony cameoed in Archie's but that was it.

Goodnight hedgehog

And nothing of value was loss

>SEGA has absolutely no interest in characters like Sally, Bunnie, Antoine, Rotor or anybody else from SatAM.

Honestly, the Sonic fandom is so crippled with autism, I genuinely believe that the end of the comic and the discontinuation of those OCs will lead to numerous suicides.

I look forward to them.

Wow... Bubsy is a dick.

tssznews.com/2016/08/03/fulop-lawsuit-alleges-letter-to-archie-sparked-failed-settlement-negotiation/

Apparently Archie isn't afraid of taking this on because they ignored a prior C&D about rereleasing old Sonic comics with these characters in them. Unfortunately they seem to have forgotten what Sega will do if another lawsuit happens.

>Honestly, the Sonic fandom is so crippled with autism, I genuinely believe that the end of the comic and the discontinuation of those OCs will lead to numerous suicides.

I think there'll be a pretty huge autistic meltdown, yeah. Probably a lot of screeching, tantrum-throwing and death threats sent to anyone and everyone.

Sorta like what happened when Disney discontinued to the Star Wars EU and eliminated all its shitty OCs. And if you think the Sonic fandom is more autistic than the Star Wars fandom, you are sorely mistaken.

So? Tekno, Porker Lewis, Cosmo, Chris, etc are all 'lost forever' too. Continue to make your fanworks and move on.

I don't get why the Freedom Fighters still exist. They haven't been vaguely related to the games in 20 years. If a random ten year old Sonic fan picks up the comics they won't know who Sally is or what Mobius is.

>I don't get why the Freedom Fighters still exist. They haven't been vaguely related to the games in 20 years.

Aside from cameos in Spinball, they were NEVER related to the games.

>If a random ten year old Sonic fan picks up the comics they won't know who Sally is or what Mobius is.

SEGA eliminated all American localization years ago to align the US Sonic media with Grorious Nippon's. "Mobius" is non-canon and hasn't been used in years; likewise "Robotnik".

Sonic's World.

They can't call it Möbius anymore. Or even Earth, for that matter.

>And nothing of value was loss
Fuck you, Thunderbolt was good.

good
maybe its for the best the comic has been going nowhere since the reboot and they are taking almost forever in their current arc plus the fact they keep on making origin stories and cant even stick with one canon one

their grasping straws in it and i dont know what they have planned anymore

>SEGA has absolutely no interest in characters like Sally, Bunnie, Antoine, Rotor or anybody else from SatAM.

To be honest, Sega has 0 interest in most of the Sonic supporting characters they created for the games and own.

The Archie book is pretty much the only thing keeping Nack, the Battle Bird Armada and the Chaotic characters alive. And those are Sega orginals.

Actually, they hybridized the Eggmen.

"Robotnik" is his proper name now, Eggman is a disparaging nickname Sonic gave him that he ran with.

I'm still wondering why SEGA never tried to jump on the Toys To Life train. Sonic has literally tons of usable characters and their fanbase is obsessed enough to pay fifteen bucks to play as Bean the Duck.

Thunderbolt isn't SatAM, is she?

I mean I guess it goes for original Archie characters, too, but still.

>"Robotnik" is his proper name now, Eggman is a disparaging nickname Sonic gave him that he ran with.

And when has that actually been used in a game? Like, within the past 10 years? Keep in mind the lone utterance of "Robotnik" in Generations was exclusive to the English version of the game.

Sega has absolutely no interest in anyone in the Sonic series outside of Sonic and Tails anymore. We barely had Knuckles and Amy in Lost World and everyone was an afterthought in Generations. Sonic Boom doesn't count because that's a series made by a company outside of Sega/

>Sega has absolutely no interest in anyone in the Sonic series outside of Sonic and Tails anymore.

I mean, that's ultimately probably for the best, at least in the short term.

I found her kinda annoying.

>The Archie book is pretty much the only thing keeping Nac

I'm surprised SEGA, in their generosity, permits Archie to continue using the English localization name "Nack" and hasn't forced them to use the Superior Japanese name "Fang". It's the lone piece of English localization that has survived SEGA's imperialism.

But for how much longer? HOW MUCH LONGER?

Sonic Adventure 2, at least. How long ago was that?

Don't tell me. I don't want to be reminded of my impending mortality.

She was non-ditzy Harley Quinn, without the LOLSORANDUM personality. She was also one of the few Eggman troops to have a personality.