The Killing Joke: DC's New Movie

So, what are your thoughts.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2aGsYooRQ7I
youtube.com/watch?v=1_r-qsxGiKY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You know, I just remembered a joke.
There were these 2 inmates in prison that wanted to go out. They decided they were going to do it together at night.
Once it was midnight, they starting fucking each other.

Conroy phoned it in.
Hamill was good in spots and flat in others.
Animation was mostly ass.
Bruce/Barbara relationship was geared more towards father/daughter, which made the sex even more out of place than it already was.

Barbara's epilogue was pointless. In its inception it was designed to make her more than just a victim but all it was going to do was give you more attachment to her so when she gets shot you care more. Flawed idea.

The end scene is supposed to be an ambiguous moment where you wonder if Batman has finally fallen into the oblivion he talks about earlier but instead it felt like he was just reading lines from a children's moral-of-the-story book. Lacked ANY intensity the book carried.

Overall what should've been an easy A turned out to be a D at best.

I wish it was better, but I'll take it.

Pretty much this. It was an unmitigated disaster

why Sup Forums has always very pretentious hipster reviews like that who wanted too much and are butthurt for small details?

>wanted too much
wtf are you talking about? I wanted less from Barbara because it was entirely needless and more from the carnival scene cause thats what everything was leading up to.

I dont understand how you can look at something that has been largely panned by both critics and average viewers alike and think everyone is wrong.

I honestly think it would have been way better if they went with the "batman kills the joker" thing. Like if they just added a slight cracking sound while the batman keeps laughing or something because that scene felt so empty compared to the book for me. Though I dont know how possible it would have been.

no bateman should have shot the joker like how his parents where killed its like poetry

Crap.

The parts in the comic that were supposed to be super emotional and exciting felt super flat.

like Gordon's wild ride and the last laugh

Batman should've raped the Joker and took pictures of him naked.

The main problem of The Killing Joke movie is that it's not an adaptation of The Killing Joke it's an attempt to address the issue of Women in Refrigerators.

and it didn't even do that well

The prologue should have revolved around Gordon, not Barbara.

It would have still been heavily Barbara focus as it could just been an expansion of Gordon's scrapbook that incorporates what Barbara means to Gordon. That way, the normies still get their shitty emotional connection to her.

> The very last question posed to the panel addressed this. The question was asked by a person cosplaying as the Joker: Batgirl, Barbara Gordon is such a strong female character. Why was this more about the males in her life? The crowd applauded the question.
> As they fumbled with the question,saying they do feel like she is portrayed as a very strong female character, I lost control of my emotions and, invigorated by someone asking the question I wanted to hear, I shouted from the audience with frustrated sarcasm,
> "Yeah, by using sex and then pining for Bruce."
> The panel understandably asked what was that. I repeated myself, but the crowd was both booing and clapping at what was said. Clearly they had heard me the second time, because instead of responding the second time it was said, Azzarello yelled from the stage
> "Wanna say that again? Pussy?"

I thought it was fine, not good but fine. I actually enjoyed the first part with the Batgirl stuff kind of more than the later half as it felt like an episode of Batman: The Animated Series but a bit darker and more mature (I enjoyed Babs' gay friend, which wouldn't be on the Animate Series).

But then I never particularly enjoyed The Killing Joke by Alan Moore to begin with.

That's what I took this as. It was mashing the DCAU Batman and The Killing Joke. Bruce did have sex with Barbara at some point in the Batman Beyond history. I just took it as telling a B:TAS version of episodes they could never make.

Definitely agree with that aspect of it, and as I stated before that part of The Killing Joke (movie) was something I enjoyed.

Except it wasn't. They were portrayed as strictly mentor-student in BTAS, and Barbara wasn't some incompetent lust-filled cockgobber. The only time the relationship was brought up was in Batman Beyond, and Barbara just said it was something that happened late in their careers and she regretted

It was okay, just remove batgirl.

>Barbara's epilogue was pointless.
Her epilogue baffled me. For anyone who already knew who Oracle is, it was pointless because they already knew the whole "she's not finished yet!" angle. Anyone who didn't know who Oracle is would be completely lost because they just have her symbol flash on screen with no explanation whatsoever.

It somehow made it even worse.

Killing Joke is definitely good, but only for those who haven't read the comic.

No one here likes anything remotely non-comedic.

Batman is the insane person, that literally broke by the end of it.
>Batman actually broke . The joker broke batman, not Gordon.

By the end of the story, the joker has paralyzed someone, raped her, took pictures, mailed them to her dad, then took her dad on an insane carnival ride to flaunt it.

after all this, and the insane fight there in, Batman has a laugh with the Joker, knowing the true descent of the insanity that now consumes he and his life of "crimefighting"

IT WAS JUST SEX

Based Azarello, that guy rules!

Quite mediocre.
Start the movie, go do something else, come back in 30 minutes and its an mediocre-to-ok movie.

>bruce/barbara sex

what

The first 30 minutes are complete garbage, everything after that is less garbage.

Bats and Babs fuck on a rooftop about 20 minutes into the film. It is so absolutely out of place it's jarring, I started laughing it was so abrupt.

The source material was short and should have been further expanded on and scenes more elaborated on for emotional effect. As a result the prologue seemed more interesting to me, while the Killing Joke seemed flat and more like a series of pointless events. As a matter of fact, seeing how flat Killing Joke's story can be makes it seem overrated in the first place and in desperate need to be expanded if it is to work in a film.

They really should have made Batman get more emotional or reflect on why he isn't getting emotional over the fact that Barbra was raped and paralyzed shortly after he had become involved with her sexually.

>As a matter of fact, seeing how flat Killing Joke's story can be makes it seem overrated in the first place

That's complete horse shit. The adaption missed the mark on a lot of the things the comic got right due to the lackluster animation, the generic visual style, and inconsistent performances by the VAs.

For the life of me I can't find a color version of this page, but I thought it was handled incredibly poor in the animated version. It just did not do it justice at all.

Do not judge the original source material based on a mediocre adaption. That's just retarded.

The first 30 minutes are pretty bad. I told people in advance about the Babs/Bats sex and awkward relationship and they pinned me for a SJW.
>tfw you were right.

>That's complete horse shit.

Except it's not. I've read it and it was typical Moore trying to be edgy, and in a relatively short story at that.

>Do not judge the original source material based on a mediocre adaption.

Except without the rape and pretending to be deeper than it really is; appealing to what a teenager would think was a good story, the source material actually wasn't that great in the first place. In fact much of it was tossed out and retconned. Babs was un-paralyzed. Babs was un-raped. Joker didn't get killed by Bats.

This.

After having seen it, honestly, it's not terrible but the first 30 minutes are pretty bad. I enjoyed it, because like a lot of people said already, it's almost like an episode of B:TAS, but it really kinda makes you dislike Barbara Gordon. She comes off as childish, overly emotional, and unprofessional.

Watch Mystery of the Batwoman if you haven't. During that movie and sometime around the episodes that movie released around Babs was thirsty enough for the Bat-D that Bruce had to avoid her calls and shit

I don't get why Timm seems to love this pairing so much. It's awful. Babs and Bruce have traditionally had more of a student-teacher relationship, which makes sense considering that Babs already has a family of her own, she's emotionally healthy, and she's never had to suffer the sort of trauma the other members of the Bat-family have (not up until TKJ really). She's like a college student with Batman being a close professor. Their relationship has almost never been romantic or sexual outside of whatever Bruce Timm and Paul Dini get their hands on.

Frankly, it's kind of creepy, especially when you realize that Bruce and Jim are friends as well. He's basically fucking his friend's daughter behind his back.

They should have made the art more stylistic and taken more chances with it.

As it stands, it seems like a very safe and bland adaptation.

I hope they try again in the future.

I liked it but the animation quality was too bad

>Barbara's epilogue was pointless.
This. If they wanted to extend the movie, they should've done it to Joker's flashback. The comic was about Joker. It was never about Barbra getting wheelchair'd

yeah the sounds took away the ambiguous elements.maybe keeping car serine would have helped

>attempt to address the issue of Women in Refrigerators.
how so?giving them more screen time does not change anything and batgirl had a long history so it was not a refrigerator case

>It's awful.
I like it too

Batman/Bruce is Timm's self insert and he likes characters like Barbara, or Wonder Woman, wanting to fuck Batman.

don't we all

>raped her
Not what happened.

rape is the only kind of trauma these faggots understand.There is no point in taking the bait

>promised "The Killing Joke"
>30 minutes of batgirl wanted to get some cock
>get to main feature
>shitty art style that didn't come close to the original
>Mark Hamill on point as always
>Then a random Disney tier song about being looney
>ruined all momentum and suspense
>dancing freak shows who as I recall, weren't in the comic (I'll check later, it's in my collection)
>no voice over flashback of batman's speech in the asylum trying to reason with the joker during the j vs. B fight
>"it's to late for that" line didn't feel heavy or hopeless enough
>poorly delivered joke
>cringe worthy bat-laughter that felt empty, almost like when you laugh at a joke out of politeness, very forced.

I feel like I'm missing some things.

Disappointment. DC animation has been sliding downhill for years now with cartoons like Young Justice and the New 52 movies but this was the first time I decided to not even see a DC cartoon at all. They've officially hit Marvel levels of shit.

Hamill and Conroy phoned it in. Tara Strong actually gave the best performance even though the Batgirl material was weak

>thoughts.

I've always felt the The Killing Joke was a weak piece written by a talented writer who had a piss poor understanding of Batman

>Killing Joke is definitely good, but only for those who haven't read the comic.
I haven't read the comic and I think the movie was useless.
We have Randy Random who is crushing on Batgirl and he just gets sent to prison with no real resolution to that plot, Batman and Joker just tell a joke at the "end" of the movie and then it fades to black.
I may have become too much of a casual but I just didn't like the movie.
The only real upside to it all was Mark being in it

The voice director did such a shit job on this

It didn't help that the movie looked like ass and the material was poorly handled

>Tara Strong actually gave the best performance even though the Batgirl material was weak
I don't feel like Hamill or Conroy phoned it in at all, especially since Hamill did so well as pre-chemical dive Joker.

But I do agree that Tara Strong's performance as Batgirl was actually really damn good. I had no idea it was her even. She showed great range while also giving off an emotional performance that sounded very real and even natural, even though the Batgirl material really was kinda garbage.

Watched it last night, made me hate Batgirl. The 1st 20 minutes just made me glad Joker shot her.

The rest was entertaining but felt kinda flat. It didn't have to impact I thought it was going to have.

I thought scenes like Barbara getting shot, Joker's backstory and rants would give me goosebumps but no.

I did like the ending though, even the joke Joker told. I felt as though this easily could've been an amazing DC animated movie.

How did they drop the ball so hard?

I agree with everything, except
>Then a random Disney tier song about being looney
That was in the comic. He's putting on a show for Gordon.

Hated the new prologue, they wanted to make Batgirl more relevant, but actually managed to ruin her. The second part that was a direct adaptation was good.
My friend I've seen this movie with, who knows very little about comics, freaked out because she thought Bruce and Barbara were father and daughter.

>the south park spoof was a more faithful adaptation than the movie

Jesus christ

I get that the movie isn't very pro-women and that fine, since the comic wasn't either, see "cripple the bitch."
Still Barbara's prologue was absolute ass and almost felt incestuous.
Avoiding curse words even though they boasted about the R rating.
Joker was great though, Hamill was great as usual.
Overall it was disappointed and a whole lot of meh.
This comic is great on its own and really didn't need such a cheap looking movie.

The fades to black stuff at the end is in the comic also. I think most people are complaining because they had roset memories of the comic and seeing it on screen demonstrates how short and flat the story really was. I think the art from the book is partly why, made the story seem much more dramatic.

In my opinion they tried to be too faithful to the source material, which in itself felt sorta random and vague. And everything in the story had to be retconned eventually.

>Babs can walk again
>Joker didn't rape her
>Joker's origin tossed out
>Batman possibly killed the Joker at the vague ending, so that had to go as well.

>I get that the movie isn't very pro-women and that fine
I'd had no problem with this, if I haven't previously read so many interviews in which they said how much they've elevated Babs' character in this and listened to the SDCC panel where they were talking about how cool they made Batgirl.

youtube.com/watch?v=2aGsYooRQ7I

The comic is like 30% of the movie, everything else is shitty filler

There just wasn't enough there to make a movie, they had barely 40 minutes of material and a ton of filler. As far as actual quality, the Batgirl stuff was absolutely terrible and Conroy's performance was completely flat. Joker's scenes with Gordon are solid, the flashbacks are okay, the final confrontation with Batman lacks any weight.

I think as far as "redefining" Batman stories go, Killing Joke is a better comic but Dark Knight Returns had the the much better animated movie adaptation.

Why does Bruce Timm like Bruce/Barbara that much? I swear I don't know anyone else who likes that pairing.

This movie would have been TEN TIMES as good if they only took the original artstyle. I have no idea why they didn't.

Joker's rollercoaster ride looked terrible, it was so boring, it could have been so much more twisted and anxiety-inducing. How anyone expected Gordon to break after that is incredible to me.

I didn't mind the prologue, and I thought the voice acting was actually incredible.

youtube.com/watch?v=1_r-qsxGiKY

I reread and you're correct. For some reason the first 3 times I read it, it felt darker.

This is just recoloring the movie which has more visual flaws than just the coloring.

Honestly, Killing Joke should have just been a short so that the budget should have gone towards making an amazing looking film that captures the tone and atmosphere of the original. Slap it at the front of Suicide Squad.

he's objectified you

Art was terrible compared to the comic. Batgirl hungering for batman's dick and their sex scene were pointless and uncomfortable. Not great.

God, fuck feminists, man. They're just so chauvinistic, everything always has to be about women, and said women must be portrayed as flawless characters with amazing fortune. They must never be undermined, they must never lose, they must never suffer any physical defeat or humiliation, but it's perfectly acceptable- encouraged, even, for those things to happen to male characters, especially at the hands of female characters.

And the worst part is that most artists, writers and directors are nerds, and most nerds are beta white knight manginas, so they cave in to this bullshit, in the hopes that it will make them more attractive to women.

It doesn't.

Joker's delivery of the inmate joke was awful.

I didn't think it was that bad. I liked the portrayal of the joker even if I'm not a fan of him having an explicit back story. The whole babs fucking Bruce thing felt out of place and the ending seen felt really out of place and dumb. Other than that though, I thought it was pretty good.