Villian poses a huge threat to the protag as a villan

>villian poses a huge threat to the protag as a villan
>the moment they join the heros they dip in powerlevels severely and job constantly

Looking at you Tohru.

He got soft, and while he was still a threat to the average mook, he couldn't keep up with the power creep.

Steven Universe does this to an infuriating degree. Is there any series that does the whole "Former BBEG is now a good guy" thing well? Zuko from ATLA was ok, but I can't really think of any one else.

zuko was good because he was only a big player in the first season and half of season 2 but as soon as they met azula we saw that zuzu was just a little brother

wut?

the only villain that was redeemed was peridot, and she was never a huge threat

>Lapis on her own lost to Jasper
>Lapis as part of the crystal gems sent her flying away like team rocket
She hasn't lost any of her power, she's still stupidly OP. It's just hard to convince her to help anyone but Steven directly.

Peridot never was shown with much powers to begin with and she was very clearly shown losing her limb enhancers where all her powers came from.

Peridot was never a huge threat and her decrease in power level was explained by her loss of her equipment. Lapis is still shown to be hugely powerful, she just hasn't really been in combat since she officially sided with the earth.

Zuko was older than her.

It's even worse in Anime and Manga.
Yamcha, Tien, Piccolo and others all started as villains and then became jobbers. Though to be fair, that's because everyone else's power levels kept going up but theirs didn't.

>Lapis on her own
I thought we never saw how Lapis "lost" she was just their hostage/intel when they came back.
So maybe they just had decent tech to keep her in line on the ship.

Your only example of anime is DBZ? For fucks sake, even other anime that made it to toonami broke that on a regular basis. One show is not a trend. Yu Yu Hakusho had all 3 of their redeemed villains grow right along side Yusuke.

To be fair Vegeta is the exact opposite, to the point where he pushed out everyone but Goku. Fucking Vegeta and Goku, being a Gohanfag is suffering.

>So maybe they just had decent tech to keep her in line on the ship.

yeah, no water and a one-hit-kill weapon

>past horrible acts are ignored, because making him a good guy was a later decision
You think Jade ever asked Tohru about the time he was gonna gut her like a fish?

Yamcha was a jobber even as a "villain."

>Guy who has all the potential to be a super cool hero
>Is treated as a joke who loses instantly any fight he's in

Lapis isn't technically a member of the Crystal Gems

She just doesn't hate Earth anymore and can't go back to Homeworld

No, but it's popular, so many people like it. therefore it makes the list, now take your meds and go to sleep

Piccolo still had his moments in Z

Yamcha was always a jobber

Tien got his best moment against cell but still probably got the worst deal

You can't just say one anime does something and it's a trend. That's not by definition what a trend is. You used several examples all from the same show. I would love to discuss other animes that do this but you just can't go around saying that.

Chiaotzu died trying to blow up Nappa and never fought again

Chiaoutzu was always a joke character. I don't remember him ever winning a fight

>Steven Universe does this to an infuriating degree.
Do you have even a single example to back this up? Peridot's basically the same besides losing her limb enhancers and getting metal powers. Lapis is still OP as fuck.

never been much of a DZ fag, but i loved the fucking dragon ball god movie if only for the one scene. you know the one/

>"YOU BASTARD THAT'S MY WIFE."

Only magic can defeat magic.

Guildo and a bunch of random henchmen.

Lapis was kinda fucked up inside when Jasper got her hands on her. This was all after she spent countless centuries imprisoned and damaged, went insane after being freed and then after FINALLY returning to the home she always wanted back and finding it to not be the place she'd left...and also she was imprisoned AGAIN. After her awkward rehabilitation and being able to stand on her own two feet, she all but one shotted Jasper out of their fight.

Peridot was a threat because of her gear, her back-up (Jasper) and because she kept lucking out and attacking the Crystal Gems when they were in a divisive state given how Pearl messed up alot during the Sardonyx arc.

Zuko was ALWAYS shown as being weaker than his sister at Firebending. He begins the show still going through Iroh's "basic" training and ends the series being able to go to to toe with his completely insane sister who is one of the few characters ever being shown capable of bending Lighting. The only reason he lost THAT fight is because Azula started taking shots at Katara, who was a bystander in a duel of honor and Zuko was gonna be damned before he let her get away with her usual shit anymore. Trust me, he ends much stronger than the misaligned asshole who showed up to torch an igloo village.

Uh Scar from Brotherhood?