What comes to mind when you see this picture?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason_Science_College
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_John_Madin_buildings
vimeo.com/7329952
marcelbreuer.wordpress.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

just

niggers...

War bunker. What about this monstrosity?

Why cant we have nice things?

Did they forget to take the protective wrapping off of that prefab building before they assembled it?

conformity

Crashed airplane or ship

pain

Which contry?

All forms of creation have been degenerated by kikes

The only creative field that still cares about aesthetic beauty is graphic design and even that is plagued with post modern nonsense like Carson's grunge shit that won't go away

((( )))

What's the deal with Americans and their irrational hatred of everything Post-Modernist?

It's like you guys lack history so much that any tacky imitation of "Neo-Classical" shit (even if the result is actually really kitschy) would be lauded as MUH ANCIENT BEAUTY.

>inb4 some brutalist apologist retard comes ittt

niggers

What/where is it?

This

In 400 years we might have a culture

that shit takes time

Prince Charles' (rightful) video rant against soulless architecture.

The German phrase, "entartete Kunst".

Hate those fuckers. They're insisting this is an architectural masterpiece and that the library be starved of funds unless they agree to stay in this dysfunctional building. Never mind the actual mission of the library, they just want their concrete shitbox to have a government institution to protect it.

Yes I'm enraged. Beautiful building (the old one obviously)

Brutalism truly is a cancer. Thankfully my local example (pic related) got knocked down about 10 years ago. That was a great day.

That's really not that bad for Brutalism, in fact I'm not sure I would even call it Brutalism.

THIS is Brutalism.

if only a charismatic leader spoke against it

Those old stagecoach buses man, weren't comfy at all

I hate being on campus having some 500 year old beauty of a building next to some 70's concrete monstrosity. Boils my blood

rage

This would look good if they grew plants off the corners of and hung plants on the sides.
Plants on buildings is like cheating to make it look good. Even the shittiest architecture can look majestic, well thought-out, and classy if you hang plants all over it like some tree-fucking druid.

Artists are no longer allowed to design buildings, they are all made to be ergonomic and practical for the sake of economy.

Beauty is the whore we sacrificed to sate people's impatience and financial apprehension.

Brutalism could work in it's simplicity by actually caring for the buildings, just imagine those buildings painted white, with maybe some red, or blue or yellow. Just look at mirror's edge.

Brutalist could be beautiful.

The problem with how most Brutalist buildings being ugly is because they were made coincidentally in a time when historically everyone was broke.

>with and without makeup

That is ugly, Wong-Tong Wi

progress

What can I say.

You've got shit taste.

When I visited London I really appreciated the brutalist buildings on the Thames. I know they aren't even full brutalism but in my country we have nothing like that.
I really like the style since they make me feel depressed an cozy at the same time.
When you hang around beautiful detailed buildings with you friends you tend to talk casual. When you hand around ugly depressive buildings people tend to have more serious conversations and it give a more personal level to the talk. It's like the beauty is not there to comfort them so they open up to you for you to comfort them.
My most memorable chats were mostly on depressing places.

If you shove some plants around it and give it a good polish it seems it can help but it's just not for me.

It is ugly, too many reflective surfaces.
It would look good with some more stonework layering the edges of some of the angled spaces, the way it is now makes it look gaudy or like something you'd find in an automotive store near the Big Dog stickers.

I say that the sculpture has to go to make way for more low cost rectangular structures.

Building an ugly building is one thing, but destroying an historic building to build an ugly building really gets on my tits

No, YOU'VE got shit taste. It's barely any better than concrete monstrosities

Ah yes there is the South Bank Centre isn't there. Absolutely dreadful building.

Personally I would recommend you go see the nice architecture in London. St. Paul's obviously. Fleet Street has some nice buildings including the old Bank of England (now a Wetherspoons). And obviously Whitehall is nice with all the old buildings and the Cenotaph. Plus Bloomsbury, Kensington, the West End, they've all got nice buildings

Stop spending your time around the shit ones, basically.

those overly ornate railroad-era buildings, at least in the USA were built horribly and never really conserved so very few of them remain.

It was a pretty forgettable style too. Essentially putting whatever bullshit on the building and making it overly ornate.

An architectural Camel, which is a horse designed by committee.

Compare this to the Egyptian Revival or Greek revival style that dominated the early part of the 1800s government buildings.

Those weren't built like shit and had beauty and were conserved.

Why woudl anybody build such things? Does these architects hate humanity that much?

Who even approved this? Just looking at this give me depression. Brutalim i ome kind of devil work, i tell you.

>tfw used to frequent that Pizza-la after coming back from Kabukicho

I actually always quite liked the Tricorn's design, apart from the fact that it was made out of concrete. If it had been build out of red brick or something it would have been quite an interesting feature.

Birmingham

ugly
demoralizing
jewish
architecture

Did it get bombed during WW2?
Or did they legit destroyed the old buildings to build those abominations?

Why are concrete brutalist-tier buildings usually allowed to go so dirty?

I don't mind the uglyness if it had something to make up for it in comfort, but that's not the case.

I do appreciate some contemporary humanist and organic buildings, granted they are often pompous but when you enter them or walk around they show their true charm by creating an unique environment that is designed to make you feel comfy. I also like outside in concepts.

they are porous so just like marble they get mold as well as absorb auto exhaust smoke.

"post-modern" is what fedora-tippers (atheists/nihilists) label their soulless mental bowel movements

I would disagree. Brutalism, en masse, has a certain feel to it. Not a pleasant feel, but definitely a strong one. On the other hand, a single brutalist building surrounded by normal houses is just ugly.

This building was designed to look like Pandas hugging a tree.

God damn that looks comfy. Fuck living in the United States.

Hideous.

>building libraries to be bomb proof

Alexandria should be a lesson.

i like gehry...

this building has taken a punch in the stomach

This picture comes to mind when I scroll through this thread

JUST

The cunts who design "artistic and expressive" buildings like these deserve to be shot in the head.

no, they people that hire them do.

Add a lot of vegetation to it and it'll be passable.

Degeneracy.

crazy how adding nature completely changes its vibe

Please tell me the original was destroyed in The War.

That "building" is so out of place.

I love brutalism. But it could be just Stockholm syndrome from living in a country full of it.

Jews

this building looks like it came out of a 3D printer

it's in your country bra. you should go for a walk and check it out

My former uni is only art deco, brutalist and now modern/eco.

pretty comfy desu famalam

oh, wait, you have. sorry :^)

Leftists are a cancer.

From Wikopedio :

> The original Victorian neo-gothic building was demolished in 1964, along with the original Central Public Library and the Birmingham and Midland Institute, as part of the redevelopment within the inner ring road. The former Central Library stood on the site of the old college, the library having moved to a new site in 2013; the building is being demolished (2015).

At least take pride in that the new building will be removed from existence soon.

Nope. See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason_Science_College

what does it mean when these buildings just make me laugh?

That's limestone you dunce.

Looks like a fucking nutsack

I used to play in that concrete labyrinth as a child. I still have fond memories and have an extensive collection of photos that I took myself before they trashed it, and from over the internet.

I have enough data to rebuild most of it in 3D too.

I like it, fag.
An entire city in this scape would be beautiful.

Having a single gay building is an eyesore though.

That shit would look Top Boss if you festooned it with laurels and Trump Banners.

>Doctors bury their mistakes.
>Architects plant ivy.

kek, most of that architect's buildings have been demolished or are planned to be demolished. Fuck him.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_John_Madin_buildings

Ugly

Very nice
vimeo.com/7329952

^ this guy gets it.

symbolizes current state of european civilization pretty good

Why not both?

Because it looks even worse

Literally looks like a graphics glitch in a video game

The industrial revolution gave way to a kind of permeating, artless, mass production mindset-philosophy that cheapens everything in the world. The consequences will never be the same.

>implying you wouldn't live in Fallingwater in a heartbeat if you could

I really, really like this.

You are a moron.

marcelbreuer.wordpress.com/

If you're going to defend shit, at least know shit about the shit you are defending.

Brutalism is just gross tbqh

The failure of the West to retain any notion of what constitutes "objective beauty."

guys, a hundred ago idiots like yourselves were criticizing painting in the same you're criticizing architecture today, through a visceral rejection and disgust. don't you sometimes reflect on the possibility that you're perhaps missing out on something, that maybe there's something you can't quite grasp or that the issue is perhaps within yourselves?

>Brutalim i ome kind of devil work, i tell you.
It's degenerate kikery.

>putting a shitty nu-house right over a nice creek waterfall

Isnt that a level in sonic 3