Why are the French so reluctant to speak English?

Everyone knows French people hate speaking English or flat out refuse to. Why is this? Is it an inferiority complex thing? Are they just butthurt that after hundreds of years of being Britiain's rival the Anglo came out on top? Educate me Sup Forums.

They all speak English, they just won't

Several reasons:

- they think their culture is still on top of the world (protip : not anymore)

- they're simply bad at learning new languages (just compare it with the number of english-speakers in germany or norway)

- they already have too many new very interesting languages to learn :^)

Exactly. But why?

They're queer assholes, that's why

Tbf I went to the euros (I'm English) and ended up drinking with a Frenchman. Poor guy couldn't speak a word of English (and I can't speak a word of French) but he was good company. I guess booze is an international language.

>They all speak English
That would be every english teacher's dream, but no. We are a very self centered people and aren't really interested in other languages and cultures. And english sounds are hard to pronounce with a french mouth.

Touché. French sounds to English ears like a choking beta male.

>Touché
Is this english humor?

Pride

>Are they just butthurt that after hundreds of years of being Britiain's rival the Anglo came out on top?
Thank you for the feels, 4th time I kill myself today

Same goes for us italians tbqh famalam.
Shame.

Terrible English teaching system, laxist education.
French people dont know how to speak english. Take it from a teacher.

Thank God everyone else speaks English, because French is terrible.
>see all those letters? You aren't supposed to pronounce them at all
>make sure you pronounce everything as though you had the flu

>russians
>speaking ANY word of English at all

If you speak English at any matchmaking game in dota2 or csgo you'll be called a "cyka amerikanski" in 0.2 seconds. Why are rustards so clueless about the outside world? Do many of you actually think russian is still a lingua franca?

most people cant actually

Try asking politely in Arabic first

It's funny the french so closely guard their language, but not their borders, culture, or heritage.

>If you speak English at any matchmaking game in dota2 or csgo you'll be called a "cyka amerikanski" in 0.2 seconds
spotted the silver

Fuque ze Engleesh.

Frenc humour does not even exist. So we win on that too.

This is just that we are scared to speak another language. We are scared to make a mistake and that people laugh at us, because we don't speak very well their language

This. It takes me like 3 hours to spell 'bureaucrat' correctly.

Never change, Australia

Here's a better question; Why are the walloons so reluctant to speak flemish, but expect the flemish to speak french?

>Is it an inferiority complex thing?

Nope. It's more of a superiority complex, as English is the bastard son of French and saxon.

Also, it feels so, so stupid for a french guy to pronounce English words, especially those which come from French (2/3rd of English vocabulary). That's why we keep a very strong accent (for those of us who do learn enough English). Better mispronounce than sound stupid and made fun of by classmates!

>Are they just butthurt that after hundreds of years of being Britiain's rival the Anglo came out on top?

True too, but only for people educated enough to know about it.

I would add :
- every movie, game and book gets translated into the language of Moliere, so there is no need to learn much for the vast majority of people.
- I've been to several countries and people are not much better elsewhere. Most Korean, Germans, Italians don't speak English, so it's not just a French thing. We are proud of it though, whereas most are not!

I know that feel bro

>René Descartes
>Renay Dez-Carties
>Renay d'cart

Why do americans expect everyone to speak English ? its fucking annoying, I've never met an american (born and raised) able to speak other languages fluently.

It does, but it's mostly self-deprecating. Like the last presidential elections, for intstance. So many keks, haha.

No idea what you're talking about - most of French people that I met online were not only willing to speak English, but they did it actually on a decent level. French accent is quite painful to hear, but at least these guys know all the grammar.

You can apply all that to the British too.

>This is just that we are scared to speak another language. We are scared to make a mistake and that people laugh at us, because we don't speak very well their language
I don't agree. Koreans and Japanese are so afraid that even after ten years of courses in a private institute and with an excellent level in English, they still feel so ashamed to make any mistake they won't talk. French people will try talking in English if they really need to even if their accent is horrible and their vocabulary abysmal.

Well, apart from the bit about learning other languages.

Misguided pride probably.

>- they're simply bad at learning new languages (just compare it with the number of english-speakers in germany or norway)

What are you talking about? Here in Norway, everyone speaks english.

>Misguided^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H pride probably.
Do you enjoy sucking American cocks so much?

>Here in Norway, everyone speaks english.
Seems like they have trouble understanding it, though.

>Everyone knows French people hate speaking English or flat out refuse to.

Maybe 30 yers ago, nowadays it seems everyone at least reads, writes and speaks pretty good english if only because they need it to use most online stuff.

It's a bit like Germany where educated people usually speak decent english but most of the proles can't.

t. literal race traitor

Asked the Korean in English.

That's pretty much true, French people have Constant Pussy Syndrome and having them get out of their comfort zone is short of a herculean task
Couple that with a very high emphasis on group homogeneity, dettering people from taking an interest in anything non-French, which would immediately be labelled as weird..

and voilà, monolingual froggies, bon appétit

Speaking of Spanish, what the fuck is up with the Barthalonans and their retarded lisp?

No.
The French you meet know how to speak english, but the average Frenchman (you know, the ones called "Mohammed" ) knows nothing of the English language.

aristocracy of both countries set trends.. languagd being one of them

>Maybe 30 yers ago, nowadays it seems everyone at least reads, writes and speaks pretty good english if only because they need it to use most online stuff.
Agreed except for the speaking part... among French who read and write correct English, only a tiny number can speak without a very thick accent..

The conchord crashed because of this exact problem. Sorry froge you're supposed to speak english to air traffic controllers, arrogant twats.

They still hate Anglos even though we don't care about them anymore (Does anyone? lmao).

I'm currently in the process of booking an apartment through Airbnb in France. Your people are pretty much retarded, they wont even answer in english AFTER the flat has been paid for, when I'm asking about handing out the keys. Guess I will have to pull the plug on them by contacting the company. That goes to show just how imbecile the french are when it comes to english.

pic related

I never understood why english speaking people start the "useless letter" meme.
Your language is even worse.
>woman, see the o is pronounced o, because it is a o.
>women, now it is pronounced e, nobody knows why
>though, 2 letters prononced.
>let's stress random part in word.

Your language is as messy as ours.

pourriez vous apprends la francais? un anglais petit

>Asked the Korean in English.
I'm French actually, and until I can speak more Korean English is a useful asset to me. Nothing more, nothing less, a good asset, and when I do not need it, I do not speak it.

Compare this to you, who cannot understand people can take pride in their mother languages because you have been raised with Tyrone's cock in your mouth yelling his orders in English since you were a puppy.

they have all the right to do so, its even part of who they are

what i m not ok is for french to delude themselves to think they are "better than this" when it comes to execution of politicans or muslims. french enemies are using brainwashing through good will of the invidual, that can be found in every european. they want to make you completely passive, just like they try everywhere else. dont let them motivate you to give up all the things they declare "bad". they make money, power, wealth and slaves out of you. let this infuriate you and not just temporary, but every day, forever. its unforgiveable to let the "elites" to abuse you like so.

remember your past, remember europeans past. it was full of wars and now we see the reason for these wars right before our eyes. the enemy is still small in numbers, but it will get worse over time.

What does English sound like if you cant understand it?

>Your language is as messy as ours.
Yeah because of (You)

>be foreigner
>ask a frenchman something in English
>don't get an answer, not because he doesn't know English, but because he's a permamently ass-devastated frog
This is not possible to be fabricated, lads.

like in the way we make fun of Chinese and other goofball languages?

I agree with you tho, French could easily be reformed to be easier, it is pretty rare to see people that don't make mistake when writing it, that is saying a lot.

Man, EVERYBODY knows that you don't get far with just English in France. If you actually want to stay there, you have to speak French or hire an interpreter for even the smallest things.

Spotted the nose

At least you got dubs champ

1- French Arrogance

2- French schools believe in teaching other languages like they would teach French: by writing it. Whereas English is written as it is spoken, and should be taught with a more verbal component

3- The "rrr" in both languages makes the other hard to speak well for non-native speakers.

4- Fuck the redcoats.

>they're simply bad at learning new languages
I wouldn't say so..Many know Spanish very well. Probably due to Germanic/Latin root difference in the languages.

because FRANCOPHONES ARE SHIT

wherever they go, language conflict follows
they NEVER adapt, they don't give a shit about anyone else

REEE GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT

>t. Flemish living more or less in between Brussels and Wallonia

They hate the English, they seem quite happy to speak it when you let them know you are Australian.

>English is written as it is spoken
It's not. Even though you all pretend it is and pronounce English words as if they were French.

keeping their own culture and languish

This
WALEN BUITEN

The thing that I know is that English people in general are so arrogant that it looks like retarded to speak with them.
English people refuse to speak other languages on other's countries,
They have the habit to say "I'm British, I'm British, I only speak English, I don't speak your language, you must speak English".
Just act as you don't understand them and persist with it, then they are forced at least to try to communicate in other language.
that's how everyone should behave.

>"We want to keep our culture and language so we refuse to speak english!!"
>Import 10 million shitskins

Makes sense

>Is it an inferiority complex thing
pretty much

Go read up on French and English history, you'll get your answers there.

croissant removal when?

They're taught to believe their language matters internationally, so they tend to act like it does... Even though nobody cares about French anymore.

Kek. They wish.

>Your language is as messy as ours.

Much MUCH messier. At least French is somewhat phonetic and predictable.. English is a retarded random rollercauster of letters.

Only because English is literally the most simplified babby tier Germanic language out there.. You could have moved towards Dutch or German, and have a proper system of language. Instead you chose French and Latin, and let go of all logic and reason.

They are bad at English dl they don't want to make fool of themselves.
Talk to students if you want to speak english

Yep completely true. And now they have all this immigration as punishment for thier sins. Karma is a bitch.

When I went to France recently I went to buy a lighter in the train station. I went to give the man the coins. He tapped the counter. I didn't know what he was doing so I just stood there with my hand outreach end with the coins (thinking why won't you just take the fucking money?). He taps it again. I then put the coins on the counter and he takes them. Then I get my change, placed on the counter.

What did he mean by this? Is it rude to give coins with your hand there or something?

Belgium doesnt exist. You're just part French part Nederlands.
We should share you with them. We take Wallonia Brussels and the Corridor, the rest is for the Netherlands.

>then they are forced at least to try to communicate in other language.
lol no

then we take our money elsewhere and find a shop that'll serve us in English. You want our money you want our tourism then you MUST speak English, like most of you do already.

We're not going to go around learning obsolete languages just to please the locals

>They're taught to believe their language matters internationally, so they tend to act like it does

lmao bullshit

french people just have no use for english so they dont speak it, why bother with inferior language ?

>Brussels and the corridor
Cheeky nigger.

>french people just have no use for english so they dont speak it, why bother with inferior language ?
he says while speaking English on an English speaking imageboard

You're a filthy nigger so he didn't want to touch you.

>Anglo came out on top?
pretty sure both France and Uk lost their empires and the only reason we are speaking english is because of 60% Empire

The older ones DO speak English, but barely because they do not exercise it. I forced one of them to give me directions in Montparnasse train station, and it was more than 10 years ago.

"You better speak English or soon you'll speak Arabic" - works like a charm.

Same apply to English and Irish rednecks using their local slang understood only on a 20km radius around their den.

Younger population do not need English or French at all, is not their father language.

Because we've rekt you so many times

I was talking about random average french, I personally enjoy learning languages and english is useful on the internet and to communicate around the world

Case in point. They honestly believe their langauge is still relevant today...

Old people who STILL haven't figured out the Euro coins do that here all the time.

Brussels is Flemish clay. You can have all the shitty people living there, though.

>pretty sure both France and Uk lost their empires
>Queen Elizabeth II is the monarch of sixteen Commonwealth Realms

Arrogante do caralho ..\..
Hooooo laugh now, you will speak Arab and Turkish in the future, are you liking your cultural enrichment bruitish-ish?

>english is useful on the internet and to communicate around the world

As opposed to French, which is only useful in Africa and Wallonia..

>I was talking about random average french
Ok fair enough, unless they live in Calais.

Well we need to keep territorial coherence.

It's fake, go back to your polder instead of shitposting, you won't do better than the stralians.

>you will speak Arab and Turkish in the future
That's France and Germany lad, we'll be speaking Punjab.

2k MMR found

Still vibrant diversity

Spoken in every continent, by people from all ages and culture, unlike d*tch

Nah. Brussels is French speaking, we get it. Simple as that.