I feel like all characterizations on the show are fairly consistent except for her's

I feel like all characterizations on the show are fairly consistent except for her's.

One moment she's the most straightforward down to Earth member of the cast, and the next she's as wild and vindictive as everyone else.

Is she purposefully written this way? She is the youngest besides Todd, and afraid of stagnation.

Other urls found in this thread:

bojackhorseman.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I feel like the writers don't really know what to do with her. She kind of overstayed her welcome after season one, but she's a main character so they can't just drop her.

Same with Todd.

They became integral to the main cast despite the fact that they have the weakest story lines, but throwing them out would probably feel too sudden and jarring to the audience. Especially given all the other characters that come and go.

She had a good Season 2 between Cordovia and Mr. PB's relationship problems, but overall you're right, she pretty much lost a reason to be around after the whole book deal was done.

I wonder if the writers are regretting marrying her to Mr. PB, which made her an obligatory main character. Seeing how Wanda literally disappeared after Bojack dumped her even though she never stopped being in charge of the network, Diane would have had a similar fate if she broke up with Mr. PB before they got married.

I actually like her character. Sure, she hasn't her whole SJW act and want to change the world while going to Starbucks, but I like her insecurities. She is afraid of becoming a housewife, and a mother.
This is quite an current character be cause western women nowadays are more focused on fucking around and on their career.

They should give her cancer. We'll get a sad Mr. Pb. Except that won't happen because he'll go full patch Adam's. And when the cancer takes her life. He'll move on and won't look back.

She'd probably just go fuck Bojack. They're both so fucked up. Co-defendant and all that jazz

A character doesn't have to be 100% straight man to act that role most of the time. See: Carl from ATHF

What purpose did the abortion arc have? The Sextina Aquafina stuff was funny but it did nothing in the long run and had no reason to even happen.

One thing I've noticed about Bojack is that a lot of the time things happen to the characters without a bigger reason or contribution to an overall plot but they just.... happen.

You could argue that this is realistic. Sometimes things just happen to people for no reason and they're not meant to progress or better us.

But it can also be lazy writing.

It was a lead-in for "I've told a lot of women to get abortions. I wonder if they all did."

Co-defendant?! are they going to court next season!? D: Even worse, what if she defends the degenerates on this board?!

You're telling me "Get that fetus, kill that fetus" wasn't worth it? What's wrong with you?

It was an excuse to put in their liberal agenda and basically "getting an abortion makes you a hero"

The purpose was to popularize BRAP BRAP PEW PEW as slang for abortion.

it set up bojacks daughter

i think diane is a good reflection on the show's big themes of meaning. Diane wants to be the good guy and change the world but often struggles with how hard it is to be a hero and resorts to menial work for some sliver of satisfaction.

Meanwhile Bojack is looking for meaning and happiness but everything he does that has meaning falls apart so he has to rely on parties and drugs to feel happy for a little while even if the aftermath is feeling like garbage

on that note, with the teenage girl in the clinic scene and the whole pretty blase approach to the topic, part of the point of that song probably was trying to desensitise the issue unironically

That was a good scene in the clinic. Best part of the episode

You only like it because Diane got taken down a peg

It was social commentary, mixed with using humor on a very taboo subject.

>we have an episode where bojack saves a kid and looks at how a single father is living and kind of wants that life
>we see an episode where a woman gets an abortion because she doesn't want a kid
>the abortion episode had no point

are you kidding? It was a counterpoint to the seahorse episode. A silent episode where bojack gets a glimpse of family life and a episode full of almost too much dialogue about how diane wants to avoid a family of her own.

It's pretty obvious why we had both episodes.

Aaron Paul has a producer credit, Todd isn't going anywhere.

Bojack can act the same way, especially with regards to Todd.

Her arc so far has been turning into another Bojack.

Remember what the rhino told to PC?, what if she want to have kids but she couldn't because she is infertil.

There's no "What if?". She's hit 40. The odds are against her.

>the rhino

you mean the wino albino gyno rhino?

She's in her early 40s. The odds are against her. It's not impossible yet, but she's running out of time.

I think it's a mix of purposeful writing and laziness.

She rides a massive high horse, but in reality is no different from the others who she looks down upon or pities. She wants to do great things with her life, but she is both too cowardly and too ignorant to actually do anything worthwhile to the world.

Diane always struck me as a person who is perpetually in a mid-life crisis. She is never fully where she wants to be, and with each step forward she takes she adds an extra 30 more. Coupled with her other issues that I mentioned in the previous paragraph, Diane can pretty much never move anywhere in her life, which causes her to lash out at others and do super impulsive shit.

I think when they first started out with her that she was meant to be the token "down-to-earth female who is sick of everyone's shit" character, but the writers kind of gave up on that when Mr. PB put a ring on it and added in those inconsistencies you're talking about just to see what would stick.

I think is also right, but at the same time I think she's become a bit stronger of a character now. Hopefully next season they give her a solid arc.

The only wino albino gyno rhino I know!

>She is the youngest besides Todd

And she's in her mid thirties. How do you people relate to this show?

I think they set her up as a very SJWey type so that they could really tear her down as the show goes on. The thing is, she still holds onto that whole "journalist feminist making the world a better place" thing after all the terrible shit that she's experienced. I'm still waiting for her to get completely broken, probably resulting in her breaking up with Mr.PB.
Youngest? I mean, Penny was in her teens and Vincent Adultman was questionable. Also Bojack's daughter seemed to be pretty young.

>The thing is, she still holds onto that whole "journalist feminist making the world a better place" thing after all the terrible shit that she's experienced. I'm still waiting for her to get completely broken, probably resulting in her breaking up with Mr.PB.

I think you missed the point of the last two seasons. She already experienced getting broken after Cordovia and her "journalist feminist making the world a better place" is just a front now. That's what Bojack was telling her his party and that's why she flipped out. She's now shallow like the people she associates. Like PC said in the abortion episode, it's all bullshit and you either accept it or crash and burn.

Next season is probably going to have some kind of arc where she decides between idealism or acceptance.

I'm entering my thirties now and I really relate to where Diane is at in her life now.

The characters are older, but the fundamental problems they're struggling with are universal.

I have to disagree, she's consistently inconsistent, she doesn't know what she wants so acts inconsistently. The down to Earth thing is just a front honestly she pretends to be well adjusted when in reality she is constantly has a crisis of identity.

Youngest as in youngest of the main cast. Not to appear on the show.

Bojack is a show of parallels, a lot of the characters parallel each other in different ways.
Diane is a parallel for Princess Caroline and Bojack.
>Bojack tries to become a better person in season 2 and season 3 and fails because of weight of peoples expectations.
>Diane Tries to become a better person in season 2 and fails because of the weight of her own expectations.
>Bojack sees the major pivot of his life as his decision to allow a network suit to fuck over his best friend.
>At the end of this season we see Diane given a very similar deal involving her husband.
>The Todd speech very much applies to her as well, she is poisoning her own marriage because she believes she is responsible for righting wrongs in the world, and seems to constantly shift blame of herself and onto her upbringing, the world, etc.

She's unlikely to have any kids of her own going forward.

This is probably the reason why she acts as an agent or manager at times. She can't have actual kids, so she spends her time trying to fix the problems of developmentally stunted adults.

Bojack gives her a lot of problems to solve, which is why she can't stand to leave him.

That would make sense if she had just started her helping people manager routine around when she turned 40, but it seems more like she's been doing it her entire life. She even was doing it when she first "met" BoJack when he was passed out on his lawn and she dragged him inside and covered him with a blanket. And she told BoJack that she was doing it even when she was a kid covering for her alcoholic mother. These things happened when she was young and fully believed she was going to start a family eventually, so she didn't need to compensate for anything. I think it's more a part of her personality.

The need to compulsively help people has always been apart of her, true. But it'd be much healthier if she did as a mother rather than showering Bojack with it.

In PC's defense, if your mother's being a maid was what was keeping you and your family afloat, anyone would definitely go out of their fucking way to help her.

She wants kids because they would be an outlet for her need to help people, but that same compulsion is ensuring she'll probably never get to have any.

She's deeply insecure and is constantly grasping for any kind of framework she can use to navigate difficult situations. That's why she's so erratic.

In situations where she's very comfortable, like with PB or Bojack, she's fine, as you say, straightforward and Down to earth. The moment things go bad, the insecurity kicks in and she can't cope. So she leaks the book, or hides from her husband, or completely misreads a party and gets wasted, or decides that a minor administrative point about water is worth a public freakout.

>or decides that a minor administrative point about water is worth a public freakout.

That was just her trying to divert attention away from her friend's question (why she crashed at Bojack's after Cordovia).

>That was just her trying to divert attention away from her friend's question (why she crashed at Bojack's after Cordovia).

Now that makes sense. Are they really going down the Bojack/Diane route? Of course it would be a trainwreck.

I really hope they keep PC in the show even though Bojack fired her because her character is so well developed. We need to see where her relationship with the mouse goes and if she continues to care for people as a manager, or if she goes the fuck it route and suddenly isn't there for Bojack when he needs her (which he will)

I will say my favorite part of the show is the intro. This spaced out feeling of going through the motions, all the people in your life there but feeling trapped and alone in your own head with suicidal ideation because you don't see any way out. One of tvs best intros imo

literally the female bojack

There's no reason for them not to. Mr. PB didn't interact with Bojack much throughout the last season and he still kept his focus.

I don't think either of them have romantic feelings for each other anymore (actually, I don't think Diane had any for Bojack in the first place) but they both see the other as the only one who really understands them

was anyone else expecting her to commit suicide this season? Around the time that her agency started failing, I was totally expecting that to be the episode 11 punch.

She's too important to the central cast. Something like that may happen to one of the main characters in the last season, but I think it'd be most shocking if it were Todd or Mr. Peanutbutter.

Todd moreso maybe since he never lived up to his potential much, and it'd be more in his range of character than PB's.

Unless something happened to PB to make him stop repressing bad feelings. Like Bojack giving one of his infamous depressing speeches.

Nah, everyone except Bojack are untouchable.

Todd is waaaaay too happy-go-lucky to let the weight of the world take a toll.

Mr. PB's superpower is a positive attitude and the ability to bounce back. He could wake up to Diane's corpse decomposing beside him and he'd be out at the end of the day wheeling and dealing, conducting more ad campaigns for Japan, errr, I mean the underwater city.

On top of them, Diane is just normal. She goes through boring normal person problems. And given her lack of mental illnesses, it ain't gonna culminate in suicide.

PC is a work horse, she's gonna work until she dies from stress-related stomach ulcers.

Bojack is the only one whose path could end in suicide. And he wouldn't even do it like a fucking man, no gun barrel in the mouth, he'd go on another epic bender or else somehow get someone else to kill him.

>It was an excuse to put in their liberal agenda and basically "getting an abortion makes you a hero"

I feel like giving all of the allusions, he's most likely going to drown.
>the picture of himself watching himself in the pool
>the opening sequence
>his actually falling into the pool in the third season
>ana's story about drowning and being a life guard

> Parallels

As other anons have said, it's clear and obvious setup for next season.

All the hints that Princess Caroline wants a baby, the hints of children (especially in Episode 4), Bojack's little abortion comment, it's clear what this is building up towards.

I dunno. I think the drowning in the pool is too obvious. Plus they already did it in the third season, directly referencing the opening. Bojack isn't any more likely to die drowning in his pool than Don Draper was to die falling out of an upper-story window.

His childhood hero jumped off a bridge

I interpreted that as still about insecurity. She doesn't trust herself enough or her motives to say: "I knew him and I knew he wouldn't mind". Or "I knew he owed me, book got him where he is today" or any one of a half-dozen other perfectly true things that are reasonable reasons why she'd crash at Bojacks.

Either that or she was filled with misery and self loathing, so maybe her misery just wanted company.

This show has some top-tier pottery

Into a river.

>Todd
>weak story lines

Zombie Todd, Mustache Todd, Disney crazy Todd, or Bum Todd aren't good enough story lines for you?

I want to know how Todd is such a dimbass yet got deep enough into ecstasy trade to piss off a supplier.

HOLY FUCK. I sent a message to the Bojack email address and I got a response!!!

tick tock tick tock

What email adress?

The whole Bojack social media thing is really good

[email protected]

[email protected]

(yes, really: bojackhorseman.com/ )

Just sent him an email teehee

I am so fucking tempted to hang this up.

DO IT

why do I want to fuck his mom

Seems like a dumbass thing to do so it fits.

>Vincent Adultman was questionable

He busts his ass off at the business factory and he deserves more respect than this.

What's her deal again? She's basically Asian Daria?

Not as self aware as Daria.