So...

So, Allspark Pitures had possibly the bomb of the century with Jem and the Holograms and I've finally watched it in it's entirety...

At this point anybody who cares already knows it's far from being a direct representation of the cartoon, but I gotta say...going into this knowing fully that this was a full reimagining aimed at the tween/teen girl audience and not geared toward older fans, it could have actually been far worse. I think the most disappointing thing here is that they CLEARLY were expecting to make sequels, this whole movie just feels like "episode 1", like it's just getting started to tell any kind of story....and with how over the top Juliette Luis was as the villain and post credits reveal scene of The Misfits, I could easily see more cartoonish and adventure elements coming to the forefront since this movie is basically one long origin and doesn't really even have a chance to go there yet

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UWROBiX1eSc
youtube.com/watch?v=ainJZE0vSyQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Welcome to last year, OP.

To be fair I really don't think many people actually watched this movie when it came out, that's why it got pulled out of theaters, literally nobody watched it.

You know, you speak like that but that brings up a good question. Why didn't anybody rally behind Jem as hard as Ghostbusters?

Because, like most "activists" on the Internet, people only care to fight for their "values" when it interests them. Jem was never a popular enough franchise to generate that kind of support.

Depending on the marketing costs, it likely only lost about 10-15 million. Hell, Ghostbusters likely lost 100-150 million. It was an insignificant movie, so I don't think you can call it the bomb of the century.

Because Jem is something fem-journalists enjoyed as kids so they actually care whether the movie adaption is shit or not.

>Why didn't anybody rally behind Jem as hard as Ghostbusters?

Totally different issues...Ghostbusters was controversial because it took something starring guys and switched it to make it star girls, Jem was always about girls

The only controversy surrounding Jem was that people didn't think it was close enough to the cartoon, it didn't do anything to trigger SJWs or "Meninists" and SJWs can't say it bombed because it's about girls when the majority of the Jem fanbase are...girls, so it was girls not seeing the movie to begin with

I'm surprised this didn't tarnish comic sales. Ugh, it killed any chance of a cartoon reboot though.

>Ugh, it killed any chance of a cartoon reboot though.
They don't even air the reruns anymore

Doug Walker liked Ghostbusters

I think it's due in part to the Jem fanbase knowing that this was going to be a shitshow in advance and instead investing that movie ticket money into the comic as it better reflected what they wanted from a modern reimagining

>Ghostbusters was controversial because it took something starring guys and switched it to make it star girls
No, it was "controversial" because Sony engineered it that way.
youtube.com/watch?v=UWROBiX1eSc

I don't think that means they engineered it to be, I think it means once they saw people hating it they saw a glimmering desperate opportunity to turn the hate around by rallying the SJWs

I don't think any movie studio ever plans from the start for anybody to hate their movie

You have to remember, this is SONY we're talking about.

There was a Jem and the Holograms movie?

Yes

>Comic is good.
>comic is doing great.
>Fire main artist for no reason.
>Hire shittiest artist you can possibly fine.

Well so much for that.

Show

oh did are they going to use livio ramondelli
please take him away from transformers

People legitimately thought Jem looked like shit and stripped out everything likeable about the original. It might surprise you, but people did legitimately think nu-Ghostbusters looked enjoyable. I thought it would be shit from the trailers, but I got to see it and I thought it was pretty good
Also, there's the fact that Jem didn't have a built-in hatedom to push back against.

This one? She's really good though.

Because the Ghostbusters "controversy" was entirely manufactured, and focused more on making "manbabies" cry for it's own self promotion than actually making a salient point about equality or feminism.

Also, Jem was always about girls. If they made a Gem movie about four GUYS starting a band, there would've been outcry for sure.

What do you guys think of their redesigns?

People consider this bad? Only thing bad about it imo are the snub noses on Pizzazz and the Sunset Shimmer tranny OC who's name I forget

Riot certainly looks gay enough

I think part of the "problem" with this movie was that there's literally nothing to it.

It's just bad. Not so much in the execution (which IS, to be sure, entirely lacking), but just in the intent.
Like, it's so blindly, nakedly part of a potentially bigger marketing campaign. It's trying to be a big FRANCHISE before it's trying to be a good movie, and that just drips down to every subsequent aspect of the production.

No undercuts, already off to a good start

And it's also generic as fuck. You can tell that this film was written as something other than a Jem film, then had a script change once the filmmakers secured the Jem license.

Think of the most boring place any possible "twist" in the film could go, and that's where the film went. And that wouldn't be so bad if the whole thing didn't reek of "easy nostalgic cash-grab" or was targeted to a much younger audience than teens/tweens.

The comics are so much fucking better than this trashfire of a film. And I'm pretty sure Jem's creator at least has no problem with those - unlike the film, where the studio shut her out of everything.

The controversy behind Ghostbusters was something Sony worked really hard on after they saw how many down votes were on the trailer. Not only did it help them save face with the movie but it also generated talk. Honestly it probably put more people in the seats than it would have otherwise.

Riot looks terrible. Instead of 80's, he looks like he a FF reject.

>The comics are so much fucking better than this trashfire of a film
The comics are pretty explicitly for a young adult crowd though, I don't think it's really fair to compare.

I don't really think any of the characters in the comic look overly 80's, it's more like modern hip/scene mixed with 80's flare, which makes sense since it isn't set in the 80's

>The comics are pretty explicitly for a young adult crowd though, I don't think it's really fair to compare.

Nah, senpai. It's fair. Same license, same characters, same generalized target audience (young girls). One may skew towards an older variant of that audience, but still - completely fair to compare them.

>Nah, senpai. It's fair. Same license, same characters, same generalized target audience (young girls). One may skew towards an older variant of that audience, but still - completely fair to compare them.

Idk man, I feel like it's a bit like comparing Transformers Prime to TF Rescue Bots for example, they're the same franchise but clearly intending to do different things for different audiences

Wait.. why is Raya in the Stingers now? She was in the Holograms in the original.

This right here tells you that this series isn't really aimed at children..

EW
G-GAY

I like them but my favorite thing about stormers design was her huge blue hair, I miss it

>Gay people aren't for children.
Okay.

Exactly. Have you even seen the leaked Sony emails? Those people are the fucking definition of how-do-you-do-fellow-kids. Planning for anyone to hate anything they do is beyond them.

>She

Hi Rebecca

simply, Ghostbusters was more popular than Jem ever was.
Jems trailer got a huge amount of downvotes as well, just like the new Ghostbusters trailer. It's just that Ghostbusters got more, simply as that

So what

Isn't it an all ages comic?

>bomb of the century

It only cost 5 million to make and it managed to pull in about 2.3 million. That's a failure but I'd hardly call it a "bomb". The numbers just aren't big enough.

>the biggest boy crazy in the 80s cartoon is now a lesbian who wants to fuck the doormat Misfit

Makes me wanna pitch a GI Joe comic with a gay Shipwreck. Oh my bad, a gayer Shipwreck.

>Isn't it an all ages comic?
Considering a big part of it is homosexuality and trans stuff....I guess that would depend on your feelings about that

When I was a kid my media didn't force alternative sexuality down my throat and I grew up fine, so from my school of thought anything explicitly sexual is for adults regardless of rating, but you may have a different world view pal

Blaze being trans is such a small part of her character.

Having lgbt characters doesn't make something aimed at older audiences anymore. Plenty of cartoons like The Loud House and Clarence have gay characters, and there are dozens of kids books with lgbt themes.

I always thought Kimber was bi in the cartoon. She so wanted to date Stormer in The Bands Break Up.

They aired reruns until the movie bombed

>Makes me wanna pitch a GI Joe comic with a gay Shipwreck. Oh my bad, a gayer Shipwreck.

I don't think most people would have a problem with making Shipwreck get out of the closet.

>Having lgbt characters doesn't make something aimed at older audiences anymore. Plenty of cartoons like The Loud House and Clarence have gay characters, and there are dozens of kids books with lgbt themes.
As someone who is not homophobic at all, this disturbs me

Allspark Pictures? Jem is Hasbro?

Yeah.

I thought the artist was a woman

Are characters that are a different race from you being "shoved down your throat" too? You're just homophobic.

>Are characters that are a different race from you being "shoved down your throat" too? You're just homophobic.
>this old hat argument

I actually identify as bisexual myself so I don't think I can be too homophobic desu

And also, comparing sexuality to race is really trivializing what people of various races had to go through....I could make the argument that sexuality is something developed not just automatically there which I believe, but fuck that, throw that aside and just consider the fact that nobody has to know your sexuality other than yourself....is that saying people should have to hide? No, but it's saying people could, you can't hide from the color of your skin

Actually no, you can. Plenty of gay people are biphobic and vice versa plus people can have internalized issues.

Plot reasons, duh. They need an excuse to add her without ruining the Holograms. Maybe she will switch sides within a few issues.

I don't mind her as a Stinger though. She looks good as a blonde and never did anything for The Holograms as a character anyway. Four members per band works fine.

He's a pretty boy more than before. He's half-Asian according to Campbell as well.

>Actually no, you can. Plenty of gay people are biphobic and vice versa plus people can have internalized issues.
Just because you can doesn't mean you are. Just because I like something as an adult doesn't mean I think it should be pushed in children's media, and that doesn't automatically imply any kind of shame or fear.

No one is pushing anything. Having a few gay characters won't hurt your kids.

If you're going to make a live action adaptation that doesn't really jive with the cartoon, at least make it good.

>professional critics didn't get the joke and thought that the product placement in Josie and the Pussycats was legitimate and made the film hypocritical
>because a fucking McDonalds shower, hidden message telling you to join the US army, and Target plane is serious product placement

>No one is pushing anything.
Well, some people are *cough*Rebecca Sugar*cough*, but that isn't the point....the point is that I really don't think the IDW Jem comics are meant for kids, they're meant for older fans....hell, all comics are, kids don't read comics anymore

>Having a few gay characters won't hurt your kids.
I'd prefer there be no sexuality in any media for kids, it doesn't need to be there unless an agenda is being pushed.

>>professional critics didn't get the joke and thought that the product placement in Josie and the Pussycats was legitimate and made the film hypocritical
I always hear people compare this to that movie, and I'm not convinced a satirical movie similar to Josie would impress fans either....Josie and the Pussycats was always lighthearted and comedy based, Jem was silly and quite stupid...but it never intended to be, a lot of the episodes dealt with what was supposed to be serious shit but is only silly in retrospect
>that episode where that girl gets hooked on vague drug pills and almost jumps to her death off the Starlight house

It was on the Hub so I guess it must be

A new Jem cartoon could be great if effort was put into it

Mother of God those thighs on Rapture!

And thank Christ Sophie actually drew Minx as traditionally hot.

BWAAAHHHHHAHHAHAH

It was a fairly typical teen flick

It's probably why the last bit in the credits were the best part. They actually had the misfits, something that was actually Jem.

Of course, nobody's going to trust the retarded who made a movie that shit to get it right next time based on 90 seconds or so.

See, that's why they needed to go with that though. Over the top cartoon plots and physics (cars crashing in ways that make no logical sense, people thrown into volcanos managing to get back out again, those fucking drugs), throw that shit in! Have a car do three flips after running over a rock and everybody inside is okay! Don't explain it, just move on to something even more ridiculo OH FUCK PIZZAZ HAS A LASER GUN AND A HANGLIDER! That's why we loved the show.

But still, Jem was never a comedy like Josie which was basically the same as every other Scooby Doo esque show, it took itself as seriously as Transformers or G.I Joe even if it was silly looking back on it

Riot reminds me of a drag queen. Just as well considering one cosplayed as him one time

youtube.com/watch?v=ainJZE0vSyQ

Did Minx actually like Rio or was she just trying to put a notch in her belt and steal him from Jem?

why does Minx have such weird legs

I keep saying that they should have re-imagined it as a Scott pilgrim-esque film. But with femme punk like le tigre, and bilinda butcher type shit, maybe even Courtney Barnett. They also could have used similar graphics and cgi as Scott Pilgrim but under the guise of Synergy.

I would have sacrificed another 6 gorillion Jews for that.