So..Redwall

So..Redwall
I remember watching the first season long time ago as a kid and I loved it
But I don't remember anything about it at all

Is it worth watching? has it aged up well? should I watch all 3 seasons or stop at some point?

Other urls found in this thread:

hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/matt-reeves-gary-whitta-adapt-912076
youtube.com/watch?v=osTQi_58K6M
twitter.com/AnonBabble

it'd be a good thing to watch before the mousegaurd movie comes out

>mousegaurd movie comes out

is this a thing that is really happening?

>I am that is
Christian propaganda, imo

i didnt bookmark the article but there was a thread for it a week ago

it didn't really age well, no. but that shouldn't really stop you from watching it. It's still entertaining to watch, if you can ignore the shoddy animation and some of the ham-handed dialog.

oh shit nigga

they live in a fucking monastery
redwall is a church

wait i found it in the archive
hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/matt-reeves-gary-whitta-adapt-912076

Awesome.... I need this!!

>they live in a fucking monastery
>redwall is a church
What species was Jesus then?

Yeah, but it uses Mocap CGI, so there's a lot of doubt and worry.

A mouse, I assume. Mice are God's chosen people.

as much as I agree with the vague sentiment of 'children's entertainment doesn't make sense' watching a smug moron whose greatest personal achievment will probably be interning for NASA bring in dumb crap like cryptology for a children's story literally written for orphans by a mildly conservative englishmen annoys me more than it should.

I enjoy the pisstaking of story tropes as much as the next guy, but XKCD really does manage to make it unbearable

The fact that he doesn't bring up the "good race, evil race" bullshit that was NEARLY changed up with Outcast then dropped hard at the end is what bugs me more about the pic.
Like, seriously, I read them as a kid and there were times when I felt bad for the bad guys

is this the same guy who did that comic about how everyone is just pretending to like beer? What an unbearable piece of shit

>about how everyone is just pretending to like beer?
Yes.
Nice quads btw

Had a kickass theme song, that I do remember.

>youtube.com/watch?v=osTQi_58K6M

dude I fucking love cats, how do you think the books made me feel as a kid? You ever have a mice infestation? How about a pet rat?

Good books but a tad simplistic on the moral scale. Then again they're for kids. I mean children should have their intellectual capacity challenged but goddamn the last thing a book for casual entertainment needs is dubious morality and complex political intrigue.

I actually just watched the first season and am working on the second
Its corny and a little bland in some places, but surprisingly brutal for an older kids show when it wants to be
Its a fun, and pretty short rewatch so I'd recommend it if you liked it as a kid

>the food descriptions in the book

Wait, people actually like beer?

You know why they're so detailed?
Jacques was working at a school for the blind when he wrote the first one and he didn't want to rely on visuals as he was reading the book to the kids as he wrote it.

Brian Jacques was like a George Martin who didn't like rape. Apparently he wrote the first book for blind kids so he tried to be as descriptive as possible.

what, a fucking cat was a hero in mossflower, if anything cats are the only "race" to get a fair treatment in terms of realistic morality

Based Jacques

Is the cat in Mossflower the same one that shows up in a couple of other books, or are they different? It's been so long I can't remember their names.

mice are filthy vermin that shit and piss everywhere and give you the Hanta virus

Watch all three. Sweet badger-boobs in every one.

No jesus. I think they were just honoring Martin the warrior's ideals, and formed a religion based on them.

Doesn't even need to be religious. Monasticism doesn't have to have a spiritual component.

I didn't have a problem with it because it was being honest about how people treat outsiders, especially if said outsiders already have a bad reputation.

Outcast wasn't the only book that challenged the prejudices of the characters. The Bellmaker also challenged perception with that pair of rats that were taken into the Abbey and the one rat kills his partner because he didn't want him to harm the children.

Badger lady is THICC

The series is okay, but honestly for what the books are it's subpar. Redwall deserves to be gorgeously, lavishly, expensively animated. It's a pretty magnificent series, and deserves better than a low-level Saturday morning cartoon.

>Monasticism doesn't have to have a spiritual component.
It literally does.
Otherwise you're just a hermit

He himself was killed, wasn't he? Vermin never get a break. Shame...cuz some of the females sound...nice. Like Wilce.

Not so; hermiticism is about being solitary, about a personal retreat from society. Monasticism is about a retreat from external society to create a different society within the walls of your retreat-- presumably a better society, though how that works out isn't guaranteed. Monasticism often involves a philosophical component like asceticism or adherence to some kind of code as the means of bettering oneself, but nothing mandates that philosophy be religious in nature.

>dude I love cats
cocks too

Can you name a single monastic group that is widespread and isn't just a bunch of hippies living off a trust fund?

First of all the "widespread" thing isn't a requirement; you only need one monastery to have an order of monks.

That aside, in practical terms you don't find secular monasteries because you can't martial the kinds of resources it takes to build a cloistered community these days, and when you could martial those resources, it was religious that had the money to do it, so they built religious ones.

In principle, which is the important thing since we're still talking about fictional settings here, what makes you assume there has to be some kind of spiritual component to an invented monastic order? Redwall has the aesthetic trappings of christian faith, but there's no indication that Martin is deified, and for an even less ambiguous example, look at the secular monks from Anathem.

Not him, but, most Catholic monk orders (say, cloistered Franciscans or Augustinians) all around Europe would seem to fit. Most of them would take extreme exception to being categorized as hippies. I should know, I've met a few.