Did DC make these two anti-heroes or are they still villains?

Did DC make these two anti-heroes or are they still villains?

How the fuck did they become so popular?

Harley sent explosives to kids on Christmas disguised as presents and then murdered all of them.

But yeah, she's an "anti hero". Sure.

>How the fuck did they become so popular?
one word:
Lesbians

I only read the first couple of issues, but Ivy just had a mini that ended. She wasn't really evil (obviously still a bad person but was mostly doing her own thing) but I wouldn't call her anti-heroic either. Maybe that changed in the later half.

Harley is just Deadpool these days.

I wonder if DC has the balls to introduce Harley x Ivy in the Suicide Squad sequel.

It would actually be a pretty good opportunity to explore topics like domestic abuse, Stockholm Syndrome and, of course, they get the chance to flaunt their progressiveness with characters that have been heavily implied to be bisexual for over a decade.

The problem is that would depict lesbians in a negative fashion

and that's illegal.

Yup, pretty much

>literally happened during an alternate universe event
>never has been referenced again

>heavily implied
it is canon.

And not fanboy 'muh otp' canon, like actually canon.

A couple of characters designed in large part (not wholly) to be jerkoff fantasies evolved into a more sympathetic jerkoff fantasy (she's/they're good people after all!) evolved into a "strong female character" evolved into "let's get the tumblr demo."

wasn't there promos for a Harley vs. Deadpool thing a little while back?

No, Marvel doesn't do crossovers anymore. You probably saw fanart or the joke Deadpool ripoff from the last Harley book.

I think Dini all wanted them to be popular since the beginning he saw them in a relationship

I'd say something not quite anti- hero. It's like they became popular enough to want to give them bigger roles but for whatever reasons they are both really poorly suited or no one can come with a way to make them heroic. So they just end up facing off against people or situations that endanger them making them look like they're on at very least a better side than their antagonist. Harley Quinn has had a consistent popularity for a pretty long time now. I think Ivy's relationship with her allowed her to tag along.

When they were "retooling" Harley, it would seem like it would have been pretty easy to make her reform or repent, or blame her involvement with the Joker for some or most of her worst behavior. And now that she's free of that influence she could have been a hero with a "raised by the Joker" violent streak. Or making her abuse a reason she lashes out at some other villains or criminals and falls into an anti hero category. But instead there's this (to me) annoying middle ground that's wanting to keep your bad girl cake and eat it too. Where she's still bad, still a criminal,still a bit psychotic...but with a heart of gold. But that's her solo. In Suicide Squad even though it hasn't always been great, Harley has always had a more understandable set of motivations. And in general has just been a better character all around.

My personal head canon Harley's solo book is just what Harley imagines herself doing while locked up in her cell between missions.

Always*

Tumblr saw that they were lesbians and head cannoned her into an anti-hero, hypercrisis obliged and here we are

none of the female bat rogues are full blown villain evil.

Talia definitely is these days

Red Tool is in the most recent issue as well, which makes sense because unlike other Rebirth stuff HQ didn't conclude and start anew.

>it's canon

Oh boy, here we go again...

Well it is true now, since Dini (God word) confirmed them as canon