/lang/ - Language Learning General

2nd month of the new year, let's keep those resolutions going edition!
Let us know what languages you're learning and how your progress is going so far!
>Learning resources
First and foremost check the Sup Forums Wiki. Please contribute to the wiki as you learn a new language. Many pages need updates. Some pages are completely absent (Hungarian for example)

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Check pastebin.com/ACEmVqua for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides.

/Lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk# (Links to the other folders, apparently it was taken down from the original drive)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/languagelearning/wiki/index#wiki_esperanto
sites.google.com/site/links4languages/esperantolinks
theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/01/the-shallowness-of-google-translate/551570/#hn?single_page=true
eldrid.ch/swgerman.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=6lODZ1SIzx4
youtube.com/watch?v=FQcC-VB_W-s
youtube.com/watch?v=_KB82r5X0HM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>germans think their ablaut is so great
>אני צוחק

I want to learn Esperanto.
What are the best resources for this?

don't

I think Duolingo has a course on it, if nothing else it's a good starting point. I imagine memrise has some stuff for vocab as well.

>Having to learn a language
>Not learning 4 languages by 20, simply as a coincidence of growing up in your country.

I tried using Duolingo to learn Spanish a few years ago and never got far.
I don't know if people can actually pick up languages through Duolingo.

I doubt that you could learn it with just Duo, but it does introduce you to some of the basic concepts in each language and (depending on the creators) gives you some helpful grammar tips.

>English

>Burgers not knowing geography

What is the OP image supposed to convey here?

reddit.com/r/languagelearning/wiki/index#wiki_esperanto
sites.google.com/site/links4languages/esperantolinks

SALEEL AL-SAWARIM

Duolingo for Esperanto is actually a good starting point because Esperanto is so objectively simple. If you go through Duolingo for Esperanto while making Anki cards for vocabulary and adding in whole sentences, so that you can review things twice (once in duo, once in Anki), you're sure to actually learn the things that Duo teaches you.

Then you can move on to using Lernu!, which is another common resource that's less gamified. Alternatively, you can use lernu at the same itme you're using Duo (this might work better for progressing more quickly).

And like any other language, find Esperanto podcasts, youtubers, and most importantly, talk with fluent speakers constantly. Bonsxancon, komencanto!

Podcasts, in general, are some of my favourite resources. You can find some really good ones out there.

Any resources for Schweizerdeutsch? Or would Hochdeutsch be good enough for locals to understand me?

You know there's another leaf here learning Swiss German. He's actually living abroad right now. If he sees this he could probably help you.

Everyone in the German-speaking world understands Hochdeutsch.

Great.

Çarpma

>TFW an American studying German abroad
>Roommate is also learning German, but he's been studying for a lot longer than I have to the point he's more working on accent that vocabulary and grammar
For example, I struggle to call myself B1, but he's taking a C1 class
>Speaking German to him because I want the practice and Austrians are too polite to correct me
>Mfw he's correcting things like my accent even if my grammar is correct

For example, today I was talking about how I'm really happy that I'm able to watch a TV show completely in German with the subtitles, and he said that I should try reading a book to an audiobook and said: "Aber, alle Bücher, dass ich lesen will, Sachbücher sind"
He stopped me mid sentence to say: "it's 'Alle' not 'Alles'"
I dont even think that I out an S there, but he stopped me to correct me.
I appreciate the feedback, but it annoys me that he'll sometimes stop me in a sentence so he can tell me my Rs are still American

I guess it's a case of beggars can't be choosers. Maybe you could try wording it like 'I appreciate the help but I'm not at that level yet' to get him to tone that down?

I guess what pisses me off most is he'll sometimes pick up sounds that I never even said
Like with the book example, I responded to him
"I don't think I put an S there"
And he responds with "you did"
IDK, Its just annoying

Sounds like your roomie's an ass.

He can be, but he's knowledgeable

Photos in flashcards really help lads

Hi guys lol

I use lernu.net

Swiss will understand you but many (not all, mind) would rather talk in English. Swiss have a negative attitude towards Hochdeutsch because it's an imposed foreign language that isn't mutually intelligible with Schweizerdeutsch at all and they usually resent having to speak it.

I started learning hungarian, but the words are a real nightmare. The grammar isn't that hard, but the vocabulary is from out of this world. Still on a years long break.

>haven't studied in a week.

>let me tell you about another country

>want to learn a language
>too shy to talk to anyone
what do

post a picture of your feminine benis in /lang/

bump

why

Because I’ve gotten through the fun part of being a beginner and now it’s just hard.
I will not give up though.

the part of being beginner isn't fun at all for me.
the part of being able to communicate with ppl in a degree is the most fun

안녕

what language are you studying?

tfw in the same situation

this

Are you a native Japanese speaker?

yes

Any French movies recommendations?

In their house, everything comes in pairs. There’s his car and her car, his towels and her towels, and his library and hers.
>Dans leur maison, tout vient en paires. Il y a sa voiture et sa voiture, ses serviettes et ses serviettes, sa bibliothèque et les siennes.
>Chez eux, ils ont tout en double. Il y a sa voiture à elle et sa voiture à lui, ses serviettes à elle et ses serviettes à lui, sa bibliothèque à elle et sa bibliothèque à lui.

theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/01/the-shallowness-of-google-translate/551570/#hn?single_page=true

I have this issue sometimes with in-laws trying to help me learn Dutch when it comes to pronunciation. I don't think there's any way to avoid it aside from saying "I really want to focus on ____(grammar or vocabulary), so if you could please focus on critiquing that, that'd be great", as they think they are helping you best by strengthening your accent. I know the advice they are giving you is likely confusing, so you'll just have to push them to correct something else.

What language are you learning?

English and Korean language

Nice. Good luck.

t-thanks

Ay whats gucci.
Everyone will understand you if you speak Hochdeutsch.
However, the Swiss do have some reservations about using Hochdeutsch (reasons I've heard are along the lines of "its associated with work and professionalism, and therefore feels very stiff", or "it sounds sort of elite and posh, almost stuck up sometimes"), so many will fall back on English if given the opportunity, so it would definitely be a good idea to learn to at least understand Swiss German

>Pimsleur Swiss German
Uses Züridütsch (Zürich Swiss German) IIRC, which is the easiest to understand since its sort of the "least removed" from Hochdeutsch (at least in terms of pronunciation)
Sadly there's only 10 30min files, but its the only listening practice i've been able to find that isn't Swiss TV

>Hoi: Your New Swiss German Survival Guide
A phrasebook, i know, but the appendix has some useful grammar notes, and it sort of helps to give an intuition in how to abstract the gobblygook of Swiss German words into possible Hochdeutsch translations.

eldrid.ch/swgerman.htm is also helpful

There are also some youtubers that talk about Swiss German.

NB: Since there is no standard for written swiss german, make sure you understand what orthography is being used by each source.

Is music a good resource? Or do you think it'll use too many colloqialisms to help early on?

i think it depends on which languages you learn.
as for japanese, i dont recommend you to do that because it is hard for you (and even for natives) to catch what they say

How early?

Thanks a lot, mate.

Right off the bat and just keep using it as you go along. I'm trying to help a friend get started and wondering what some good advice is. He thinks he wants to learn Russian.

idk I think immersion is always be helpful. Ramstein unironically helped me remember some German personal pronouns when I first started studying. If anything, you can sing along and work on your accent

>always ignore my pen pals and hellotalk messages
why am i like this

It won't really help with grammar and vocabulary, but it can give you a feeling for the rhythm and intonation patterns of the languages, though that will only work for languages with phonemic stress like Hebrew or English, and not so much for Japanese, for example.

Someone tell me about korean. Want to learn since I have a family member and a jon there for me if I want after uni. I've heard you should start with grammar and leaves vocab until after. How true is this? Or is it just preference?

a job*

"learn grammar, leave vocab for later" and vice versa are the worst possible bits of advice to give language learners - what you should actually do /is/ up to personal preference but you won't have success neglecting one for the other. I would start by trying to learn simple sentences, and then breaking them down and learning why they mean what they mean and why they're constructed that way. Then you can start doing things like swapping nouns out for other ones, using the same sentence as a sort of template, then change verb conjugations, and grow to learn more advanced things off of that base. This is just what works for me, though.

Thanks bud.

anybody got a discord link?

Fuck off

el americANO

also why tho

bumpo

>her girlfriend
>his boyfriend
>she is a construction worker
>he is a hairdresser
goddamn I hate duolingo

I remember doing Hungarian on duolingo and getting sentences like "the young doctor walks in front of the kindergarten near the airport" right away and getting very frustrated

learning languages makes you smarter, so you got that backwards

Any sources to back up that claim?

Hỉo ka.

Pũjūi bi chỉe jí séu pǒ mí Tỏaq da.

Saluton amikoj. Kiom longe vi studis la internacian lingvon?

Shitposting has actually somewhat helped me with languages. It forces you to construct sentences and you don't have to worry about people trying to talk to you.

>all closely related Indo-European languages

It's a cancer

Could you be any saltier.

Learning languages keeps you from growing dumber with time, but it does not necessarily make you smarter.

how come?

>grandparents speak 3 different languages between the four of them
>parents only learned english growing up because america in the 60s, teaching your kids foreign languages was probably communism
i feel a bit cheated

bump

Different burger here. I think that he thinks that discord probably killed the threads, either that or he got himself kicked or banned from it...

i mean, at least three of those things i've encountered in real life, i don't really see the problem.

It is a language learning resource that is putting this kind of social conditioning into its programs.
None of what he posted is the average or what is normal.

does that really matter though ? why get triggered by some example sentences ?

>social conditioning
Retarded.

And gay people and male stylists have been a thing for ages. If anything, I'm surprised they'd make a woman a construction worker, given that that is not a cool job like being an engineer or a doctor.

construction workers are men.
Men who fuck each other in the ass and women who dildo fuck each other are not a normal relationship, in fact it is quite disgusting and unholy.
Most hairdressers are women.
It absolutely is social conditioning.
Construction workers will always be men (or robots)
Gays and lesbians will never be normal.
and I don't really give a fuck who cuts my hair.
You and people who are less conscious are being socially conditioned to believe up is down, right is left, gays are just like anyone else, and woman is just as capable as a man.

>in fact it is quite disgusting and unholy.
fucking kek

bumparino

Why should I learn any language other than English if I won't leave my cunt and 90% of the world learns English too?

Seems like you already have your mind made up. Don't.

Wew laddy, did someone poke your bum? The status quo changes, always has and always will. This is socialization, not social conditioning.

i learned Italian in highschool for 4 years. I’ve been brushing up with it using Anki/duolingo, I’m up to about 2000 something words in Anki and I’m nearly finished with the tree. What do you think I should do afterward? i’m not sure I could jump into just reading books since I have such a small vocabulary.

possibly the most retarded thing I've read today, congrats.

Avec plaisir mon ami

Man Bites Dog 1992
youtube.com/watch?v=6lODZ1SIzx4

My American Uncle 1980
youtube.com/watch?v=FQcC-VB_W-s

This Man Must Die 1969
youtube.com/watch?v=_KB82r5X0HM

Cheers!

All you've done is confirm that you don't read what you write.

>lol concepts of gender and relationships that have existed since the beginning of time just
naturally completely flip over a few decades
>totally normal, its called progress bigot hehe
you poor soul

i mean gender and relationships and what they entail have changed wildly over time and in different cultures, not quite sure what you're getting at friendo.

So you're saying cultures don't change? At all?
And what of matriarchal societies? Or of the evidence of women doing the same shit as men since prehistory? You're confusing your own opinions for cultural, historical facts. It's not 'progress' it's simply how culture functions. The fuck are you so scared of anyway? What makes the thought of a female construction worker so utterly terrifying to you?