There was something so special about this show. It was funny, charming, quirky, wacky...

There was something so special about this show. It was funny, charming, quirky, wacky, even a little melancholy at times. Malcolm re-invented comedy and very few shows since have managed to tap into the same vibe. Look at Modern Family: the show is about a "modern" family, but it isn't really modern at all. It's a bunch of perfect people living in a perfect little bubble. Malcolm was about struggle, hardship, feeling awkward and out of place, and that's what made it so unique. Still my favorite TV show to this day.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=GUsvkVDEkSg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Modern Family

That show and The Middle feels like reverse parodies of Malcolm in the Middle. Like those shows were made first and Malcolm is a parody of those shows.

Yeah I know there's a whole history of family sitcoms Malcolm is responding to, but the connection between those shows just feels stronger. Like the makers pitched the show as Malcolm for "le new generation" or something.

Your post is fucking nonsense.

>The Middle
That show is fucking cancer. It literally gives me depression watching it. Every character has the personality of a potato and has no energy or soul. Especially that fucking little shitbird Dewey clone, fuck that kid.

Yeah, but he is actually at the end.

Yeah, but he is actually at the end.
This confuses me.

Matthew in the median

I completely agree with you. The Middle is so incredibly bland and uninteresting that I don't get how it could get to eight seasons.

The Middle will be your life when you grow up.... if you're lucky enough to find a wife, own a home, and have kids. Depressing? Yup, but that's how life is.

The problem in America today is kids ARE STILL FED THE AMERICAN DREAM growing up when there's nowhere near enough success to go around. Makes for a very depressing 20s and 30s. Then when you turn on a show like The Middle, or some show that understands being behind on bills, having a run down home, treated like shit at your job; it feel good to see that at least one small portion of the media understand the trouble.

And honestly, shows like Modern Family or virtually everything else on tv just make you feel like you got punched in the gut. That so many people have beautiful lives that you will never get.

I'd say Malcolm was a very normal depiction of a modest income family in the 90s.... but now The Middle is closer to reality for most of America. And I daresay the middle is actually poor people SUCCEEDING in life. Most people my generation are raising kids in fucking apartments....

So no, the palatial Hollywood homes that everyone owns in Modern Family sting a bit. I had to stop watching it, though I do find it funny. But the funny thing about Hollywood is I think Hollywood media guys THINK that the middle class lives about like the Modern Family family..... but no one grows up like that without huge amounts of dynastic family cash.

Malcom in the middle was about a white family?

My mind is decaying I guess.

You're probably thinking of Everybody Loves Chris or some shit.

Nope, I firmly remember MitM being about a black family. So when do I forget how to breath?

The thing is, the characters in The Middle are just supremely dislikeable. It doesn't matter if they're trying to tell a realistic or depressing story. Malcolm was depressing in some ways too, but the characters were all greasy and self-interested and quirky, and typically made the best of shitty situations. The characters on The Middle are just boring as fuck and have no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Their neighbors are black to meet that diversity quotient.

>Their neighbors are black to meet that diversity quotient.
This show was made before this was a requirement. In fact, Malcolm is very opposite of most shows. They frequently poked fun at gays and blacks.

I hated how self sabotaging they were. Especially any moment where they talk about how what they are going to do is going to majorly screw over the family. Then proceed to do it anyways.

I hated Malcolm's 4th wall breaking. if you want to have a kid's internal monologue used as a framing device. Then do it like the Wonder Years. Also, if the story is being told from the kid's POV. then you can't show or do anythign with the other characters that the kid wasn't there to witness. unless you have the other characters tell the kid a story.

>I'm a faggot that hates everything that made the show good

Fuck off back to Big Bang Theory, you laugh track hack

At least we can all agree the Goldbergs is pretty awesome.

Who gives a fuck if it's 'accurate' it's still steaming hot trash. MitM at least had some originality and good characters whereas The Middle is like watching a slideshow of some shitty white trash family's life and Hal and Lois were vastly superior parents to Frankie and Mike. Frankie's arguably the one of the worst mothers on TV outside of ones who are outright abusive and she treats Brick fucking horribly.

The Middle has never made me laugh. Not once. Every time I've had to sit through an episode I've fucking sat there stony faced the whole time.

I don't get how they managed to stretch out the monotonous lives of a dude being a lazy teenager, a sperg being a sperg, a girl being an overenthusiastic fuck up and two parents being shit parents into 8+ seasons. I don't know who the fuck watches and why. Most normies I know prefer The Big Bang Theory and don't give a fuck about The Middle. Back when it first started most people I knew were giving it shit for being a MitM rip off which morphed in time into feelings of total apathy towards the show. I seriously don't know who their demographic is.

Then again maybe miserable sadists like who need to see their own shitty existences mirrored in shitty television are the ones keeping it alive.

I liked it for the same reason I liked family sitcoms like Simpsons, the characters and lives were flawed and not squeaky clean.

I remember really clicking with the show in the first episode when Louis answered the door topless, because my mom was always that sort of person at home and it was nice to feel like it was more "normal" than I thought.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=GUsvkVDEkSg

Like come on this episode is a fucking gem

tell us more about your mother, in detail.

I think this is the only show in history were EVERY season managed to be much better than the previous one.