Luc Besson managed to independently raise $200 million dollars to make it

>Luc Besson managed to independently raise $200 million dollars to make it
>gets full creative control
>The film has more fun and creativity and beautiful visuals than every sci-fi and capeshit flick of the last 30 years combined

Are you gonna let it flop, Sup Forums?

Dane, I know you're reading this. You were fucking awful in the film

Other urls found in this thread:

cinemablend.com/news/1674270/why-valerian-isnt-actually-a-financial-gamble-at-all
youtube.com/watch?v=6s22YIyDWDA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

theres nothing i can do my dude

It's less and less worthwhile for studios to try anything new when they can just crank out batman and star wars and transformers and endless bullshit remake reboot reimagined crap that people reliably spend money to see.

>vastly overbudgeted passion-project adaptation of a solid european sci-fi comic

Already learned my lesson after watching that abortion of a Nikopol adaptation

I kinda want to support it because I like besson (even lucy). but on the other hand that cast is shit

I'm gonna go see it anyway

The sad as shit thing is that the film is going to flop not because it deserves to flop but because every movie theater chain predicts Dunkirk will generate more money so most of their theaters are showing Dunkirk and not even giving Valerian a chance

>$200 million wasted on an end product that's complete garbage outside of visuals
Bravo

Why the fuck did he get those two uncharismatic planks of wood to star?

Dane looks like he's 12 years old and Cara is a cunt and has resting-bitch-face. Neither of them seem charismatic enough to carry this flick, It looks dreadful.

>going from Bruce Willis to Dane Dehaan
Hahahahah him and cara who is a joke Lmfao.

If the leads weren't absolute trash I'd go see it.

You're right about neither of them being charismatic (especially Dane), but the film is far from dreadful

I'm a lifelong Valerian fan.
I've been waiting for this a long time.
Fucking Cara gets cast as Laureline, a slap in the face to everyone.
The retarded Rihanna is also in the movie.
I like Dane but he's wrong for the role.

I'm not going to pay for this, as much as I love the comics.

cara is cute

Rihanna isn't that bad. She's only in the film for like 15 minutes and her character is fun, although her line delivery feels a bit stilted

>ITT: neckbeards jealous of based Dane cause they'll never get to hang out and work closely with Cara

But Dunkirk has no 3D

Gen Z don't want creativity or inspired movies. They want rehashes of old ideas (Baby Driver, Stranger Things) and bland super hero flicks (MCU)

>Jealous cause they'll never get to hang out and work closely with Cara
Kek. Most of the girls in my senior highschool classes were better looking than she is. She is legitimately below average and her daddy is the only reason she's a ''''model'''' and an ''''''''actress''''''''

>protagonists too young
>marketed like your average teenage novel bullshit
>they look like siblings
>no widespread recognition besides her fucking eyebrows
>muh 6 million

Oh Luc, why did you fall for the meme actors? We're grateful for Reno and Hershlag but what the fuck is this

oh ew is that rihanna
ew she's terrible

>waifufag throwing around the word neckbeard
Cara would be beyond repulsed by you IRL and not in a femdom kind of way, but in a genuine you are subhuman way.

>Projected $16 million opening weekend

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Fuck off, Dane. Stop making it so obvious

I'm seeing it this weekend after Dunkirk tonight.

I'm so sick of seeing rehashes and reboots, that this looks refreshing.

I can pretty much guarantee you that no fan of Valerian is a fan of Rihanna, except maybe Luc Besson. After all he casted Cara as Laureline which is just plain wrong. Most fans would agree that her character is not only capable of handling herself but also VERY beautiful. Cara is the fucking antithesis of Laureline in every possible way. The movie could handle the miscasting of Dane (because at least he can act), but it died with her.

It's like Nolan casting RuPaul for Batman instead of Christian Bale.

>The film has more fun and creativity and beautiful visuals than every sci-fi and capeshit flick of the last 30 years combined
It looks like your run of the mill average 120 minutes Marvel capeshit video game cgi BUT with two fugly main actors; one being a unibrow male (female) dyke and the other being a 90lbs twink cock sucker baby face jizz juggler

For what it's worth, Cara is better in the film than Dane, but I've never read the comic and aren't familiar with the source material.

Dane spends the entire movie trying to sound like a cocky 90's Keanu Reeves, and I cringed every time he opened his fucking mouth

this is not an avatar thread bro

i like this meme. It's not like the guy lurks 24/7 lol

This, OP is a fucking retard

>This is not an Avatar thread bro
You're correct, it's a Valerian thread, is it not?

You know what's almost as bad as her casting? Casting Clive Owen and Ethan Hawke in minor roles. Owen would have been great (despite being a bit older) and Hawke could have also pulled it off (despite the same age problem).

In any case it's really maddening: all my life waiting for this and Besson picked the worst lead actors.

I can't wait for Sup Forums to claim this disaster was good because of nothing having to do with the movie itself
>It's not Disney
>It's not capeshit
>Armond liked it
That'll be the consensus

>independently raise 200 million
>cast people like Cara Delevigne or Rihanna

Like, I get you need a bit of pull, but those two might've eaten up 10% of the budget.

>people ON THIS BOARD RIGHT NOW actually think Cara would be fun to work with

As it should be. Besson fucked up the casting and should be punished

Gonna see it tomorrow. 3D worth the extra cost, Sup Forums? I'm normally not a 3D guy.

Doe she have Twitter? He really deserves to get called out for ruining the movie just with the casting.

This poster will be what Spy Kids posters are to us now
I'd never watch anything with Cara Delevigne or Rihanna.

>looks like a shitty sequal to jupiter ascending
>blockboster poison lead actors
>shot in a greenscreen room
>Besson hasn't made anything worthhile since '97

plus it's based on a comic // not an original idea so it has no "moral" high ground over all you other blockbusters out there

Theyre likely the only reason he got that money to make the movie, some idiot producers thought they'd pull some crowd in but the overlap between the demographics are basically non existing

>>The film has more fun and creativity and beautiful visuals than every sci-fi and capeshit flick of the last 30 years combined

It's based on a 50 year old comic that has inspired or been ripped off by many sci-fi movies since then, including Star Wars.
Making a movie based on it now that Star Wars fever is at an all time high is not original nor creative. It's just a cashgrab with a shit cast.
If you buy into this crap simply because it's not Hollywood, you're a gullible idiot.

200 million for another gigantic flop, fuck luc besson piece of shit frog

Dane is awful but he's comfy awful.

then I literally have no clue who the fuck Besson pissed off to get the movie treated like this because all of my local theaters only have 1 or two 3D showings per day

How THE FUCK did he get $200 million?

>DeHaan is shit
>Cara is extra shit
>fucking Rihanna
>movie looks like the most generic hacky scifi nonsense horseshit since Jupiter Ascending with a title to match

Nah, I'm good Luc.

Cara is so fucking hot.

Even if it bombs worldwide they're not going to lose money on it.
cinemablend.com/news/1674270/why-valerian-isnt-actually-a-financial-gamble-at-all

The real issue is that they weren't able to schedule this on a week with no other IMAX films to compete with. Either there just wasn't one or they fucked up big time.

Money laundering bullshit, just like in Hollywood.

Lucy, surprisingly, was a hit. I don't care much about budget vs gross, but a 40 million dollar production getting 463 million seems like some good money.

Probably would see it had he not cast two of the most ehh people in hollywood

>shitting on spy kinos

pleb.

It had Scarjo when she was at her peak popularity, good trailer and well marketed release. They did it right unlike this.

Looks like Lucy's first week will be pretty much the same as Valerian's whole run.

Deserves to flop. Boring movie, terrible lead actors.

never heard of this movie until around 2 minutes ago

the trailer doent look very compelling

>Are you gonna let it flop, Sup Forums?

Sure, there's nothing appealing about this movie.

My theatre had ONE 3D showing at 10:30am and four 2D showings for Valerian. Everything else is Dunkirk. Pretty bad move to release it this week

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA

it's going to flop anyway.

for the umpteenth time: movie quality is not correlated with box office

>and LUCY

You guys are too old to understand why this flopped

lucy is a surprisingly nice stylish actioner flick with great imagery. only a pleb could dislike it.

NOT

DISNEY

NOT

CAPESHIT

NO

WANT

t. audience

>European studio
>Independently financed
Hmm whyever would American distributors short it?

why these actors?

Like clockwork. They're already coming out

I wanted to like it, I really did. But it's dogshit.

>Armond liked it
>He gave Dunkirk a rotten review

Every fucking time. He even gave Transformers a fresh review.

youtube.com/watch?v=6s22YIyDWDA

This song actually sucks. And I do intend to watch it in the cinema.

This review was for Dirty Grandpa.

He gave Baywatch a negative review

And it still managed to have a shittier story than orange slices and wifi password.

I know, I made the shoop, but the fact that so many people think it's a real one tells you about his reputation.

it has worse graphics than a fucking ps2 game, fuck off you insipid shilling queer

I liked it. The leads sucked, and the film kind of peters out in the last 30 minutes, but it's well-directed and very fun up until then.

If they recast Valerian and Laureline, I'd like a sequel

not with that cast m8. should have cast margot robbie instead of cara

>but the film is far from dreadful
Bullshit. Even the comic the movie is based on (Ambassador of the Shadows) has better flow than the movie did. Starting with book 6 and no real attempt to develop the characters or even the uncomfortable attempt to introduce them was just paintful

Shut up luc, no one's gonna see your movie.

After watching all the trailers I just didnt want to watch it because the two main characters seem obnoxious and I hate when my sci-fi gets overshadowed by the adventurous couple trope.

>Are you gonna let it flop, Sup Forums?
Not me man. Besson has carved out a place in my heart. As a director/writer/producer he's got a pretty solid output, and some of his movies are among my favorites. Not even the obvious stuff like fifth element and leon. Go watch the original Taxi. Its fun as fuck is the frog speak doesn't turn you off.
And he does well internationally, the chinese eat his shit up because he does a good job of making a lot of the story elements and especially humor visual.

wasn't it Valerian and VERONIQUE??? What is this bearnstein shit? Also, is Rihanna the anti-rock? that woman is box office poison.

Maybe they should have called it something less retarded. Valerian sounds like a some one with a disease.

It will flop because Dane is in it. He has to accept that his place in life is picking up Jesse Eisenberg's table scraps, not Leo's.

I like Dane, but he's wrong for the role.

I think Cara a cute, but can't really act...or at least carry a movie.

But I'm gonna see the movie anyway, so it's irrelevant.

You have a wife and child Dane, plus Emma Stone didn't let you anywhere near her feet, so stop lying.

This is absurdly awful. What the fuck were they thinking?

My hype is over this planet, desu. Can't wait for it to come here so I can watch Kute Delevigne.

Yeah...that's weird. They look more like siblings than potential lovers.

It's self financed. He owns Europa Corp. One of the largest non U.S. movie studios in the world.

Although...after this...maybe not lel.

The cast is great, the lead actor kind of sucks but in a way he's the perfect foil to Cara Delevingne's incredibly sexy vibrancy

i dont have enough money to watch 2 imax movies on the same weekend

>no widespread recognition besides her fucking eyebrows
/thread

why is there a monkey wearing a hat on the poster?

>VERY beautiful
Dude, Cara is amazingly gorgeous in this movie, I have no idea what you're on about. This is Luc Besson, one thing he knows how to do is make a beautiful woman shine on film.

Yeah, for this one it is.

>The cast is great
lel
>he's the perfect foil to Cara Delevingne's incredibly gobliny vibrancy
fix'd

This movie has 5x the visuals and heart that the last 5 Star Wars movies have had.

I like Dane in the movie, he comes off as a capable but somewhat awkward and reserved guy, which is the perfect antithesis of Laureline.

Bro, it's not like that. This one has a great plot and visuals that remind me of Alfonso Cuaron on a crazy acid trip.