Daily Japanese Thread - DJT

DJT is a language learning thread designed by and for those studying the Japanese language.

Read the Guide linked below before asking how to learn Japanese:
djtguide.neocities.org/
Check the Cornucopia of Resources before asking where to download X or Y:
djtguide.neocities.org/cor.html

Archive of older threads: desuarchive.org/int/search/subject/Daily Japanese Thread/

Previous thread: Alright, fuck the thread numbers. If the thread dies, it dies, but I'm not staying on /jp/ DJT
that shithole deserves a nuke

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YOwMYxYsPig
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Maybe we can get the guy who spams the other Japanese thread to bump this one for us.

personally I don't "need" DJT, I could just google things I know, but I like helping out people and often you learn some things as well
it's fun to shitpost in or about japanese or about japan in general and most people are friendly here

whereas on /jp/ you have autistic screeching, samefagging, whole discussions getting deleted because it hurt people's feelings, simply answering "no" or shit like that, +100 post shit flinging contests about nothing, REEEEEing at people who try to produce sentences, and everything is "off-topic" besides "otaku" stuff which limits which completely cripples a language general with a way too narrow scope
so all things considered, before I go there I just stop using DJT all together if things won't work out here anymore in the foreseeable future

What's better, RTK, dorama or flouride?

Thoughts on Meiji?

I think reddit would suit you better

I think shut the fuck up

bump

This thread is much more tolerable when it's active honestly. The thread on /jp/ is just arguing about learning methods non-stop and ignoring questions

help
>~年中行事の一つとして~

Does this literally mean "as one annual event"? As in, 初詣 and 彼岸の墓参りare both held as (separate) annual events? I'm trying to figure out what 一つ contributes here. If I removed it (年中行事として), would it then be saying that the 初詣 and 彼岸の墓参り are held as one (single) annual event rather than separately?

I think the や and など make it sound like they count together as one kind of annual event, because they have a religious background

how would you say horse girl in japanese?

Sup Forums is strictly an otaku website and those who don't like this culture can go to any of the countless normalfag ghettos online instead.

this is not about liking or disliking otaku culture, in a language learning thread it has to be allowed to talk about other things as well

How do I say "Because my father was working in Tokyou during the holidays, my mother and me went there."?

休みに父が東京に勤めていましたから、私は母とあそこに行きました。

Would this work?

休み間父が東京で働いたのから母と私はあちら旅行しました

during = 間(に)
X and Y (subject) = XとYは, not XはYと
over there (direction) = あちら instead of あそこ (location)

(Just my ideas, don't accept anything that isn't green-lit by a 日本人)

We can't rely too much on 日本くん. There should be enough of us to check each other's answers if they turn out to be wrong.

センタウリード.

thanks

父が休みの間に東京で働いていたから、私と母はあそこに行きました。

my best guess
I hate these stupid example sentences, they feel so unnatural

donald j trump?

yes, gets funnier every time

If I translate this,
父がそちらで働いていたので、休みの間、母と私は東京へ行きました。

is そちら always correct in this type of sentence or could you technically use あちら if both, the speaker and the listener, were not in tokyo?

>休みの間
もしもし、why is it not 「間に」です?

yea that confuses me as well

donald j trump?

日本人おるかい

どうもありがとう!

これから仕事なので、もしこのスレッドが生きていたら、8時間後ぐらいにまたリプライします、ごめんなさい

分かった、また後でね

いい一日を!

I guess 東京へ行きました。isn't seen as a "momentary action or change". Travelling takes a longer period of time than, say, bumping into a friend or a light being switched off.

Yeah that's probably it.

>僕と神原とが仲良くなることが、戦場ヶ原にとってそういう意味を持つことは、それなりにわからなくもないが──しかし、それだけじゃない意味合いが、今の戦場ヶ原の言葉には、あったような気がする。

it's not really about the sentence per se, but these なくもない constructions always hurt my brain, how would you translate that part わからなくもない
especially when you consider that なくはない basically means ないわけではない, but what does the も then

What does this say?

He's asking for clarification about mister gorilla.

Has everyone done their minutes today?

Yes and yes I want to die

The pain of never getting any better. It hurts me as well.

It feels a bit strange to do review rounds in the evening. I usually do it first thing in the morning if it is possible.

Yeah it sucks. I have super early classes on some days so my free time is at night

>literally just finished going through all the hiragana again
I've been to Japan three times now and I feel like I'm eventually gonna give up learning again

Learn some discipline or you definitely will.

when should i stop doing anki reps and just read?

Any tips?

how long did you spend each visit? I would think the constant stimulation and immersion would rub off..

I want to start learning kanji (like, actually learning not just recalling the ones I see most). I have KKLC which I think should be enough, but has anyone used any Anki resources to complement this?

Also looking for general tips on Kanji/radical learning. I'm getting basic grammar down but my vocab is truly awful.

I started reading while doing Anki, but I only did Anki for like 10 mins a day. If your reps are an hour+ long, and you already went through a grammar guide, you are spending too much time on Anki.

First one, I stayed for two months in a study abroad program.
Second time, two weeks.
This time, a month and a half.

It does rub off a little bit, in that I can read hiragana and katakana fairly competently and can somewhat tell what people are talking about sometimes, but it doesn't translate to actual speaking/writing ability unless I actually apply myself

I spend 40 minutes a day doing anki but ive already finished the core 10k so im mostly spending time on my mined deck.

>unless I actually apply myself
Its a pain to have to constantly push yourself and not being able to do it with ease but dude it sounds like youve come a hell of a long way. Giving up now is silly. You obviously know the language already, now its just a matter of getting used to it.

practically every time i write something (college included) it's on my notebook/computer or cellphone

given that, should i learn to write kanjis on paper or just recognizing them is enough?

Im no expert but honestly I doubt you need to write them out nowadays. Though I think physically writing helps me remember and on top of that I think the stroke order is really fun

Don't rely on motivation. Study every day whether you want to or not. Set a goal for each day and always meet it. Don't let yourself take "breaks". Remember that you are in control of your actions. If you fail, it's because you're choosing to do so.

じゃあ、セーモウ、汝の用法のにあらぬ届く。

Even Japanese themselves forget how to write some kanji and just rely on recognition to go along with their daily lives because of technology.

For a foreigner that has no intention of living in Japan, there is little to no use in learning writing. Even if they decide to live in Japan, they can go by only learning kanji of things they would fill up in official documents

スティムハム

youtube.com/watch?v=YOwMYxYsPig

That doesn't change the fact that when they were learning Japanese in school, they were learning how to write. And how can anyone unironically say that there is little value in learning writing? Doesn't matter if you'll ever live there or not.

How's dungeon meshi in terms of language complexity? I figure there's gonna be a shitton of terms I don't know at the very least.

I'd kill for a transcript of this. Some of the anunciations make it hard for me to understand what's being said, but it'd be good practice since its almost a word for word translation iirc.

Keyword is some. Ofc natives need to know write most of the kanji, as it will be inevitable that they will use it one way or another, being them being there for probably most of their lives.

>And how can anyone unironically say that there is little value in learning writing?
If you don't have a use for it, why waste the effort when you could be instead improving on things like your listening, speaking, grammar and your vocabulary? If it really helps you to remember the kanji, then fine. But for everyone else, it would be like cursive writing; it's cool that you know but then what? This isn't even like Math that most teenagers whine about in that it is a.) actually useful in real life and b.) it teaches you a way of thinking.

下から2行目はまったく分かりません
「ば」の接助が仮定の意味をこの文には使いないかな思うけど間違っていますのか
あとは、まずの「事情」と次の「事情」が関係ありますか
>Well, given that she wasn't told what was going on, she was probably just forced to run around by the circumstances of various(?) people (what happened to them?)
翻訳があまり正しくないだろうがただ私の理解んです

Cursive is important too, Marigeorge Garcia

writing out every new word helped me when i was new since i didn't feel like studying radicals. writing just enough to not have retarded 5-year-old handwriting also feels nice. now i only do it when i keep confusing similar ones.

my traslation was >父がそちらで働いていたので、休みの間、母と私は東京へ行きました。

First, since I am not a Japanese teacher, if you think my explanation is strange, please ignore it.

ごめんなさい、私の誤りです。「休みの間に」が正しいです。貼ってくれた画像の説明の通りです。

>if both, the speaker and the listener, were not in tokyo?
これは暗黙の前提(implicit assumption)だと思っていました。そうであれば、「そちら」を「あちら」に取り換えてもOKです。もし、話者が現在 東京にいるとすると、動詞の「行く」等も別の言葉にしないと不自然ですね。

このことに関連しますが、実をいうと、このような "there" (used instead of "Tokyo") は日本語に訳しにくい気がします。
直訳ではなくなってしまいますが、もう少し普段のしゃべり方に近づけるなら、
「父が東京で働いていたので、休みの間に、母と私は父のところへ行きました。」
のようになるでしょうか(あくまで一例ですが)。

Since when? All the people around me hardly physically write even normally anymore and I'm in a third world country.

一つとして(ひとつとして)=one of
,年中行事の一つとして=one of annual regular events
初詣 and 彼岸の墓参り are are totally different events, and they has nothing to do with each other.
初詣 is to go and worship at a Shinto shrine on New Year's Day. お彼岸の墓参 is to go to the ancestor's graves on the spring equinox or the autumn one.
> they count together
神道と仏教という違う宗教の行事であり、しかも彼岸は2回ある
About examples which are 初詣, お彼岸 and others, they seem to be held as the kinds of mere annual customary events. I think that is because we don't generally consider them as religious ones

Because my father was working in Tokyou during the holidays, my mother and me went there
休暇の間は父が東京で仕事をしていたので、母と僕はそちらに向いました。
merely depend on context
副詞句ですから「~に」の形を取ります。この「に」は省略可能ですが動詞直前を除き、その場合は「、」が必要です。
「休みの間に」を強調したり、話題としてpick upする場合は格助詞「に」に換え係助詞「は」を使う場合もあります。
「物語」が好きやね。
最初の「文節」の取り方からしてわかっていない。

西尾維新を読もうとするくらいなら、以下の説明で理解できなくてはダメ:

わからなくもないが=(わかる未然形+助動詞ない+格助詞も)×(形容詞ない終止形+逆接の接続助詞が)→ it is not that I can not understand at all 戦場ヶ原にとってそういう意味を持つこと though→
つまり二重否定だが全否定ではなく部分否定ということ、

それなりにわからなくもないが
I was able to understand somewhat that in my own way (though)

some-だからこそ、「それだけじゃない意味合」の「それだけじゃない」の意味が生きてくる
you see?

中級以上の質問は、もう少し自信ができたら日本語スレで訊く方がいいだろう。

>Well, given that she wasn't told what was going on, she was probably just forced to run around by the circumstances of various people.

私も、おおよそこういう意味だと思います。正直、この日本語は読みにくいです。

>「ば」の接助が仮定の意味
正しいです。ただし、この文章は「仮定」というよりも「理由」(~から、等)を述べているように読めます。
>まずの「事情」と次の「事情」が関係ありますか
同じことを指していると思います。

以下、書き直してみました(私が文脈を読み違えている可能性もあります)。
『まあ、事情の説明がなかったから、こころは色々な人の事情に振り回されていただけ、ということになるか。』
ここは、「予想が外れた」り、「心配するより~しまった」りする理由に、主人公がふと思い至った場面なのだと思います。

why is it so hard to find jp subs for jp movies

書き換え案の2つ目。仮定の「ば」をそのまま残して、ライターの言わんとするところ(what the writer means)をおぎなうとすれば、
「まあ、事情の説明がなければ、こころは色々な人の事情に振り回されていただけ、ということになるからな。」

>地域でできるだけ早く火事に気づき、初期消火や避難を手助けする――。おととしの年末に大火に見舞われた新潟県糸魚川市では、消防庁がそのための新たな試みを進めている。
その「――」はなんの意味?教えてください

>If I removed it (年中行事として), would it then be saying that the 初詣 and 彼岸の墓参り are held as one (single) annual event rather than separately?

(...No one seems to have answered this?)
No. Removeing it("の一つ") does not really change the meaning.
If you want to say so ("are held as one (single) annual event") , rewrite it as follows:
「初詣とお彼岸のお墓参りは、一つの年中行事として習慣的に行われているようですね。」

Japanese despise deaf people.

>休みの間
副詞には統語論的に「話者へ向かうもの(ex.確かに)」と「主語へと向かうもの(ex.愚かにも)」と「述語を修飾するもの」の三種に別れ、文中の位置が英語も日本語も違ってきますよね。
ここでは、実は、during the holidaysはworkingに係っているので、日本語でも動詞を直接就職し、日本語では文頭若しくは動詞の直前のはずです。
このBecauseは、Why did you and your mother go to Tokyo?という問いに対する答えに見え、「どうして『休暇中に』わざわざ、東京へ」という読み方を読者がしてしまう。
ですから、読者が、次に話者となって文章を作る時、「休暇の間」を文頭に出したくなる。Why did you and your mother go to Tokyo?の問いに対する答えとして
「休暇の間は父が東京で仕事をしていたので、母と僕はそちらに向いました。」
としたくなるはずです。

なお名詞「~間」は、単独で副詞としての用法があります
ex.「三日間、彼は仕事をしていた」=「彼は、三日の間仕事をしていた」

「夏休みに」と期間を表す名詞の場合も単独で副詞になれます。
ですから
「父が東京で休暇の間(に)仕事をしていたので、母と僕はそちらに向いました。」
「休暇の間に父が東京で仕事をしていたので、母と僕はそちらに向いました。」
は当然原文どおり

この文は複文で、順接の接続助詞ので(実際は準体言助詞+格助詞)は、従属節です。
英語の接続詞(等位接続詞and, but, soやbecauseなど従属節をつくるもの)は日本語では接続助詞かそれ相当の複合語です。
英語の接続副詞(therefor, however等)は日本語の接続詞(よって、しかし)であり言語学的には話者に向かう副詞で、必ず文頭が原則です。ところが、動詞を直接修飾する場合、文頭・動詞直前・文末(英語の場合)に来ますが、従属節の動詞を場合は従属節の中に限定しないと意味が不明になります。

「休暇の間、父が東京で仕事をしていたので、母と僕はそちらに向いました。」
と読点を打つだけで
Because my father was working in Tokyo, my mother and me went there during the holidays
の意味にもなるかもしれない(なお、読点にも文法規則は定められていますが、国民を拘束するものではないとされています)。

「父がそちらで働いていたので、休みの間、母と私は東京へ行きました。」
My mother and me went to Tokyo during the holidays because my father was working there.
微妙な違いですが、意味は二通りにとれます。こちらの方が問題です。

long, wordy, and smart-ass shit no one can supposedly understand

Why would you ever stop doing Anki? Anki is your friend. Would you abandon a friend?

>writing on phone
It shows.

兄妹でいったい何をしてるんだか
まあ、「妹ものラノベ」ですね。題はなんでしょうか?

「まあ、この事情がなければ、こころは色々な人の事情に振り回されていただけか」
Well, without these circumstances, she would be at the mercy of the various circumstances made by other people
>「ば」の接助が仮定の意味をこの文には使いないかな思うけど間違っていますのか
条件の仮定以外のなにものでもありません
英語の仮定法過去と全く同じです
問題は帰結節の助動詞の選択です
迷う所は、wouldか mightか、無難にwouldにしました
>まずの「事情」と次の「事情」が関係ありますか
妹と近親相姦する以上の特殊な事情はないでしょうし、「事情」とは大人の事情です
思い切って「思惑」 the various opinions of other peopleでいいかもですね
これは多分近親相姦もの「エロラノベ」だと思うよ
で、妹の名前が「こころ」
ここはSup Forumsですので

I don't understand ANYTHING in this last sentence. Help!

what's the context

説明してくれてありがとう

A lot.

The first one to speak is a boy dressed as a girl, with another girl's bloomers inside a bag (the secret).
The second one is his accomplice, who is helping him but doesn't know it's about returning the bloomers.

>'however the name reads* is using the same thing too and I have to put back (only) the contents, because if I don't, sooner or later (the secret) will come out

that's just how I understand the sentence, don't take it as a translation

I don't know what "bloomers" are bute here we go:
>Keina (?) is using the same ones.
>Also, I can only bring the content alone, which is why sooner or later I will have to take it out (of the bag)

>which is why sooner or later I will have to take it out (of the bag)
Ignore this.

This user is right.
>because if I don't, sooner or later (the secret) will come out

Does anyone know where to find an ebook/pdf of 太陽と鉄 by 三島由紀夫? Preferably using 旧仮名遣い.

I don't mind paying for it, I just don't want to lug around a physical book.

I thought about the last part again.
I think literally it should say:
>And, because that is the case, I will have to take it/them out sooner or later.

Maybe it refers to the secret but then youwoulhave to say:
>then I will have to reveal it sooner or later

If it were "something would come out" by itself, in Japanese you would use the intransitive verb 出る、or in this case 出ちゃう. But here the transitive form 出す is used, which requires a grammatical subject and object (both of which can be implied, which they are here).

I finally understand! Ena (that's her name) is using a similar bag, so the accomplice girl is saying "I'll have to take the contents of your bag out anyway to transfer to the (similar) bag Ena has, so sooner or later I'd have to look at it anyway".

That was a tough one, whew. 亜理我39.

shit, yea I didn't pay enough attention to why they use 出す

Oh fuck, I somehow ended up thinking that the other person was saying those lines. No wonder I was having such a hard time figuring it out...

When you can read stuff without looking at a dictionary every now and then

I had prior experience with hanzi and kanji, so I just stopped at Core 2k, seeing as I wasn't worried about my retention. Rikaikun + dictionary is all I really needed after that.
Most people who aren't as fast learners should aim for at least Core 6k, supplemented by reading and grammar.

Now that I think about it, doing rounds has become a part of my life now that doing without it feels empty, even though it is just for less than an hour everyday.

いけね
「事情の説明」の「説明」を入れ忘れていたわ
まあ、事情の説明がなければ、こころは色々な人の事情に振り回されていただけか。
Well, without the explain of these circumstances, she would be at the mercy of the various circumstances made by other people

説明は上と変わりません。「ば」は仮定法の「ば」です。
the circumstances made by other various people
かもしれません。
要するに「こころ」の「兄」以外の人の事情です。
it's mere an ellipsis:typically three dots, such as "…"
what I'm saying :it is the same meaning as "初期消火や避難を手助けする…。"
日本語で言えば省略記号の一種です。その後にどのような言葉が省略されているかはcontextによる。

bumpo

Perhaps,the Tomgirl has Ena's bloomer?

"Ena-chan uses a bag which is the same kind of my one, so I should put only the content (the bloomer) in it (the bag), but she will take it (the bloomer) out from it (the bag) soon or later."

ありがとう^^。文脈がなんの「色々な人の事情」ですかって指していないと思いますが
関わりのある人がすくないので (3人だけ)、これは可能な解釈かな
>If I didn't explain here, she'd probably run around asking others about what happened (to me)

>日本語で言えば省略記号の一種です。その後にどのような言葉が省略されているかはcontextによる。
ありがとうございましたm(_ _)m