Platoon (1986)

Overly dramatic and too preachy, but solid overall. Why do you faggots jerk over it so much?

there was a photoshop friday/saturday thread on the somethingawful forums forever ago and they did movie anagrams and someone made this into Top Loan and i got a good chuckle but i havent been able to find it since :/

because it's the best vietnam film

>Overly dramatic
When?
>and too preachy
Ditto question.

Barnes did nothing wrong.

apocalypse now is clearly the best vietnam film

pretentious wankery

appeals to the plebian view of war as simultaneously glorious and horrifying.

In reality war is just a lot of boredom mixed in with occasional random deaths

>apocalypse now is clearly the best vietnam film
I'd agree if a majority of the characters weren't totally insufferable.

The conflict between soldiers felt a bit forced and it was preachy with it's "the enemy wasn't the chinks, it was us", Sheen's monologues weren't necessary, especially the final one. Coppola did it better in AN.

Full Metal Jacket is better.

>In reality war is just a lot of boredom mixed in with occasional random deaths

t. an autist trying to imagine what war is like

Sargent Barnes may be one of the great badass film characters.

>Full Metal Jacket is better.
too much of a meme, not really very entertaining

So unbelievably wrong, Hamburger Hill is even better. Platoon sucks.

I served 3 tours, 2 in Iraq and one in Helmand

time to get off the keyboard

chef could be a bit annoying, but you had to like clean and lance

>Full Metal Jacket is better
The first half of the movie is.

the first half isn't even a vietnam movie

the second half is a pretty decent vietnam movie

>first half FMJ faggot
you people need to die

>too much of a meme
are you the type of faggot to prefer the boot camp to the obviously superior 'Nam part? Also, just fuck off, FMJ is a great title and one that manages to get it's themes across with much better effect than Platoon.

The 'Nam part is better and the whole point of the film.

I dont know its been a while, probably the second half is better. Maybe it retrospective but the whole training bit seems so generic.

>I served 3 tours, 2 in Iraq and one in Helmand

the LARPing begins. which would honestly be less embarrassing than the alternative. if you think that sitting around on a base is the same as every other experience of war ever then you're an idiot. it "varies" as they say

It was anything but generic.

I saw the "head come apart" scene waaaay too young. I think that was the first time I understood the concept that someone could just kill me any time they wanted for no reason.

almost every major vietnam film is better than this

you are wrong and dumb. watch the movie again when you grow up.

>"the enemy wasn't the chinks, it was us",
Yeah I wasn't a fan of that line. But the conflict and the line works because films can do things reality cannot. Barnes and Elias don't have to be truly real people, they are representatives of two extremes:
>There's the way it oughta be (Elias), and there's the way it is (Barnes)
But with Taylor, we are shown it doesn't have to be Barnes' way.
>Sheen's monologues weren't necessary
I think the line where he goes
>The war is over for me now, but it'll always be with me. As I'm sure Elias will be, fighting with Barnes for what Ra calls "possession of my soul"

If Taylor is the everyman, Elias and Barnes fighting for possession of his soul is the daily struggle of man fighting between these two extremes of Elias and Barnes.

Platoon is to 'Nam movies what Def Leppard is to dad rock

Vietnam forced the US to ask itself if they were the bad guys. Wasting millions of gooks thousands of miles away couldn't have been considered a "just war."

Tell us all about war, you grizzled veteran.

def leppard is not dadrock. and no, the fact that a lot of dads like def leppard is not an argument. dadrock is a specific meme genre

that took you a while. what were you up to?

>Tell us all about war, you grizzled veteran.
that's a very odd thing to say after LARPing as a veteran and attempting to sum up the entire subject. i don't attempt to define a subject as meaningful and vast as war by saying something trite like "it's boredom with a few deaths mixed in". it's glib, boring, and adds nothing to the conversation

you're trying to bait people into conversations about your LARP-service. i imagine you do it at every turn