Chinese holidays?

i have a question: are there any people here who used to live in china i could talk to. im verry interrested in the various holidays of china and what they are like and how important each one is to a person from china.

if any of you originally came from china i would like to ask some questions about your holidays if thats ok.

(pic unrelated)

I lived in quangzhou for about a year. The biggest holiday is the moon festival and then Chinese New Year. Those occur in about October and February resceptively. Lots of food and firecrackers but nothing religious or anything if that’s what you mean.

if ur from canton region then 冬大過年 which means the winter solstice is more important than the new year festival.

neat. could you maybe help me and give me some answers of the questions about a list of holidays ill also post here? :

the chinese name of the holiday?
whats the date it starts and ends on?
what is it about?
what are the decorations and immagery associated with this holiday?
are any interresting rituals involved in the holiday? if yes how do they work?

What is Google?

i am interrested in these holidays, could you answer the above questions and maybe also give me a rough idea how they rank? (since in the west for an instance certain holidays are bigger than others , like christmas thats bigger than fathersday.)

Chinese New Year

Lantern Festival

Tomb Sweeping Festival

Dragon Boat Festival

Magpie Festival

Ghost Festival

National Day

Mid-Autumn Festival

Double Ninth Festival

Winter Solstice Festival

New Years Eve

i already used google but it doesnt give me the perspective and detail an inhabitant of china could give me

good to know thanks for that detail

Wholesome thread.

Yeah dude google. The dates vary by year. Think like how Easter is different every year. It’s mostly just fire crackers and candles. Some people in the south will go to Buddhist temples but it’s not that prominent. It’s mostly just food and nightlife.

sure maybe including the days was abit retarded on my end but i'd like some insights by people that lived there and celebrated these holidays.

you see this is for a game and i wanted to depict these holidays as accurately as possible.

chinese new year, there r dragon dances and firecrackers and parades. married ppl give red envelopes to unmarried ppl who are friends or family. employers and frequent visitors of a business also give red envelopes to workers there.
Lantern festival , u ligt lanterns at night.
mid autumn u eat mooncakes and look at the moon while drinking tea and coming up with poems cus its supposed to be the biggest moon of the year.
Dragon boat is ppl racing in dragon boats
winter solstice, u 做冬 which is just having a meal with ur family. there has to be pig meat.
new years eve, u eat a big meal with ur whole family, also with pig

any special decorations/motives that are prominent during each of these holidays? (like stars and raindeer and giftpackets on christmas here in the west)

This is for a game? How old are you? Just watch a Chinese soap opera on YouTube or Netflix and you’ll get the idea.

yea a red 福 sign is the most common and four character sayings on red paper. also red oragami in the shape of a fish or coins

Yeah he’s right. There’s red fucking everywhere. Chinese people are obsessed with the color red for some reason I never understood.

its good luck

Like the number four is bad luck. I don’t remember why but I think it’s a little more in depth.

no idea what age has to do with beeing an indiedev. also: i assume soapoperas arent an accurate depiction of reality.

wait for what holiday is the 福 now?

cus 四 and 死 r pronounced similarly

it just means good fortune and most ppl put it up for new years