DUNKIRK thread BRAVO NOLAN

did you like it?

personally watched in imax it was bretty good for me. sound effects were amazing felt like real bullets flying around and planes were crazy scary

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1Hk68ojyyCI&index=6&list=PLo0ThsDnveH5nv5TNviBrGTX9P6IrYfIe
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I lost all faith in Nolan after TDKR and Interstellar. Was not looking forward to Dunkirk, went thinking the reviews were probably over hyped, It is one of the best movies I have ever seen and it will be shit on because of how positive the reactions are.

A total masterpiece, a triumph in cinematography, narrative, and practical effects. Something that must be seen on the big screen because of how completely immersive it is. I can't imagine how anyone could make better aerial footage.

It will be the kino trap, you can find the pessimistic disgruntled hipsters and literal morons by people who thought it was 'overrated' or 'boring'. If it was not made by Nolan you'd only have morons talking about it being bad.

>watch it in IMAX in glorious 200ft 4k HD
>barely understand any dialogue thru butchered kings english and 'authentic' accents

I was about to say the same thing. If I had some subtitles this shit is 10/10

Something happened in Nolan's life between BB and TDK. He stopped making smaller/intimate films, and all of a sudden starting filling his movies with only ""EPIC"" scenes. Watch TDK or Inception again. There's no come down; no break between large set pieces. TDKR is where people really started to notice this problem. The pacing/balance is all off. It's like a symphony with only percussion, a song with only choruses.

Dunkirk is the best film made by this "second era" Nolan, probably because it ignores anything that isn't spectacle. He doesn't bother himself with character, plot, feeling or even intellectualism(as was so poorly handled in Interstellar). It's no surprise that he only sequence meant to elicit an emotion (death) was the weakest part of the film. In ignoring his weaknesses, Nolan has indeed made a stellar film and one that marches along without much fault. But is it enough to simply disregard something you've struggled with in the past? Would it not be wiser for Nolan to try to recapture the success of his earlier films? Perhaps you can't reverse engineer technique, which is why he bruised further forward, simply further cutting out aspects which don't "suit him".

Certainly now he's running with a style that I fear cannot place him among the pantheon of cinema greats (Tarkovsky, Cameron, Bergman, Spielberg et al.). Why you ask? Because he simply isn't making complete films. They're experimental yes, but incomplete. Like a strictly third down running back in american football, Nolan has developed into a niche filmmaker. Where, oh where, has that filmmaker who made The Prestige gone off to? Perhaps we'll never see him again.

Nevertheless, Dunkirk is a fine film. A technological achievement, and a bastion of spectacle. Yet the parallel is there, so one must point it out: Perhaps like the British forces, Nolan is simply running away from the battle.

Are you fucking kidding me

Time to watch some Channel 4 boys. Peep Show, 8 out of 10 cats, People Just do Nothing. Brush up on your accents because if you couldn't understand them you are amerifat tier.

Maybe it was the movie audio but they always sounded muffled or like they were mumbling

watched it on normal screen. disappointed desu.

>bong troops land in france then retreat
how is that supposed to be good move material

Warning: this is a literal shill.

>He doesn't bother himself with character, plot, feeling or even intellectualism

nigga wat, this is his best showing of all of those things. He revealed character through actions, not hamy nolan monologues. His non linear plot tethered together feelings and views in a totally new way for a war film. No feeling? I can't disagree more, the fear, sadness, and loss of hope? It all felt there for me. And intellectualism? The movie was a meditation on sense of duty, death, and desperation. He bellowed past his previous works in intellectualism by showing not telling, by using the camera, the lighting, the situations, to convey feelings much deeper than anything he has done before.

Sod off, I can smell the one year of college under your belt.

anything can be good movie material in the right hands.

what was up with the timeline in the first half?
da fak was that boot?

It was good entertainment, not great movie.
It was great experience, sound was terrific, image was pretty gud, but if you want a war movie about value of human life and horrors of war itself, watch "Paths of Glory".

What led to the dunkirk event?
Was the bongs just out-fucking-skilled by the krauts or what?

Isnt the entire point of cinema being entartained?

>outskilled

I would say it was skill as much as bravery. Bongs shit their pants when they saw the krauts coming

Cinema is art. Art is something, that makes you feel certain way, think about certain topics. Dunkirk didn't handle it so well. But it wass pretty accurate live-action dunkirk operation. Sounds and models look great.

Well what did they expect?

Bongs expect slow and steady warfare, jerries suddenly comes at you in sonic speed and you don't know what to do so Bongs start retreating.

maginot line

Some french critics are talking shit about that movie, saying it underplayed french troops in Dunkirk. I've heard there is apparently only one french guy and he is with the RAF, but I don't know if it's just another fake outrage to sell papers or if it's real.

> Americans can't understand English accents
No surprise.

Their country is devoid of anything remotely interesting or historical, so it makes sense.

Eh it was entertaining I guess. Pretty movie in the same sense as The Revenant. Just no substance or any worthwhile characters to relate and learn about to. Herky Jerk sequences that sound like Nolan read a bunch of history doc accounts and blended it all together. That long monologue at the end was so damn manipulative and empty, why even bother when we've just finished watching a movie that clearly wanted to be a visceral experience. I guess you can call it unique and interesting that they completely did away with the soldier comradery and the bonding of soldiers and how they cope andall that, but they've always been the deepest elements that really bring home the emotions. It didn't come close to the real WW2 GOAT Band of brothers.

There are plenty of French in the film: a few defending Dunkirk town at the start who bid the British soldier 'en voyage' rather sarcastically.

There are French soldiers begging to be allowed on the British ships, there are others (but that'd be a spoiler).

The Royal Navy even remain behind for a while to evacuate thousands of French soldiers.

It wasn't the accents, I usually have no problem with British accents... it was the sound mixing

>who bid the British soldier 'en voyage'
are you stupid

Being english myself I agree with this, just didn't sound right. Probably too much [TICKING INTENSIFIES].

One of the best moments was the officer guy saying "im staying for the french"

Well I think they were also butthurt about the film somehow casting french troops under zbzd lighting while historicallyw they threw themselves at the german army to slow down its advance and help the brit evacuation

> no substance
I couldn't disagree more. There was plenty of substance; you seem to have missed it. (American?)
> worthwhile characters
There's the whole menagerie of characters here: the stoic Brit veteran, the terrified teenage soldiers, the heroic pilots. The characters and their 'arcs' are underplayed as Nolan said he wanted to concentrate on the situation itself, not the people in it.
> manipulative monologue
It's Churchill's speech verbatim. Yes, it was manipulative but that's nothing to do with Nolan. It's an actual speech.

> soldier camaraderie
Unnecessary fluff only suitable for Americans. Actual soldiers don't do this to such extreme extents (British ones, at least).
> soldier bonding
Unnecessary for British audiences. Only Americans need this pushed down their throats; British bonding is implicit and acknowledged already through the millennia.
> deep elements
Completely unnecessary for British audiences. We don't like soldiers reminiscing mid-battle about sweet teenage years with Mary-Jane back home in Alabama because we don't like that nonsense, nor is it remotely true-to-life.

BoB is excellent, and is a uniquely American perspective (with a huge British cast) on war. British war, and our response to it, is entirely different.

*A bad

Short for 'être en voyage'. What's the problem?
American?

I heard that the sound mixing for 70mm IMAX wasn't well done and nobody can understand anything.

I haven't watched the movie but I'm pretty sure he said bon voyage, not en voyage

He may have done. Both seem possible in the situation.

Either way, the Frenchman who said it did not look happy.

My dad didn't like it lol

Literally "All White People Look The Same": The Movie

ITT: other movies where the only good scene is the opening one

I didn't see it in IMAX and had this problem as well
it still didn't take anything away necessarily, because the dialogue is so minimal in the first place, but it could've been done better

Your dad needs better taste.

youtube.com/watch?v=1Hk68ojyyCI&index=6&list=PLo0ThsDnveH5nv5TNviBrGTX9P6IrYfIe

France had built the largest fortification the world had ever seen, from Switzerland to Belgium. Because Belgium insisted on staying neutral, the British Expeditionary Force was camped just outside in France, on the lightly fortified border, ready to march into belgium if the germans invaded. German forces used 'lightning war', a fast panzer led charge across Belgium and into France before the BEF knew what was happening, which was expecting a slow infantry led advance, WW1 style. Fast panzer spearheads, supported by innovative close air and artillery support, destroyed the uncordinated BEF and French forces in a couple of weeks fighting, the survivors legging it to Dunkirk.

You seem to projecting a few feelings you have for americans and know nothing of what it's like to be in the military. Right from training you're going through shit and just about the only outlet you have is the company of the people you're with. I'm not asking for cliche like you're describing but i'm atleast asking for a real character. Rather than a robot relying on the real overused cliche of 'war is hell' look at how chaotic and terrible this is. We know how to have fun still in Australia, why are you bongs so depressing and disconnected. Instead of asking for a movie with a purpose you want a rollercoaster with above average set pieces. There's nothing to take away from the movie other than a few half baked ideas that are left vaguely for the audience to interpret, but good luck with that because we're already moving on to something else with our meme tick.

It's an audiovisual experience, (short avex) not a film.

AVEX, not KINO, ok?

More like bongs are fucking ugly the movie.

British culture is arguably the best in the world, so 'depressing' and 'disconnected' are simply your own take on it, and no one else's.

> nothing to take away
I took away a greater insight into what happened at Dunkirk, whether fictionalised or not, a wider understanding of how different personalities react under duress, and how utterly terrifying Stuka dive bombers were.

Whether you like it or not, British patriotism is often underplayed and hidden, and rarely shows itself outside of the most stressed situations. Brexit is a good example of how forthright patriotic views were kept hidden until the last minute.

The Aussies latch onto Gallipoli (another defeat like Dunkirk) as a defining moment in their history, although there were relatively few ANZAC there. It's very similar.

>Whether you like it or not, British patriotism is often underplayed and hidden, and rarely shows itself outside of the most stressed situations.

No way, after watching EPL, Top gear and all these other british shows, etc. I'd say the brits are plenty proudful of their heritage.

Is it me or did baneposing show up at the end

>Americans: The Post

> proudful
American: the word

>a wider understanding of how different personalities react under duress
Yep, that's about it. But it was so hamfisted in they didn't even make that interesting. When Rylance's character picks up the shipwrecked soldier the best they could come up with was just verbally saying 'he's shell shocked sonny, don't worry about it'. Not only is it a tired concept it was done in the most basic way, coming full circle with him having basically killed the other kid. Which doesn't even get a reaction from rylance. If you wanna actually look at this as a hollywood movie and judge it accordingly (which it is) and stop taking it as an insult to your queen or some shit you might see how paper thin it all is.

Also I pity history pleb's so you're getting no sympathy from me because you learnt something you didn't even know about your own country. I'll look up the cleese quote for ya that I had in mind when describing brits.

> the best they could come up with was just verbally saying 'he's shell shocked sonny, don't worry about it'
What a way to completely misunderstand British stoicism.

Rylance's character is the old veteran who has seen some shit. He's the stiff-upper-lipped guy. After the boy dies, you can see he's upset, but he must keep it together for the sake of the other lad and Cilian Murphy. If he broke down, then there would be chaos.

You can seen how the young son begins as anyone would be by being shaken and upset by the boy's accident, but when they pick up the army men out of the oil and Harry Styles points out he's dead, the son *has* to take on that mantle of stoicism in order to keep order. Rylance then gives the son the smallest wink and nod to acknowledge that this was the right and British thing to do.

By simply saying 'he's shell-shocked, don't worry about it', Rylance is acknowledging that by outright saying 'this man is afraid' is not the proper or right thing to do in this situation as it would make Cilian Murphy's character agitated (as he is British/Irish too).

The whole sea part, I think, is how this 'Britishness' is passed down the generations through shared experiences.

Try to understand the British sensibility before mocking it.

A perfect summary of the complex emotions going on in that entire storyline. Nolan thanks to his upbringing was able to translate that to screen better than any other American screenwriter/director. He understood that that generation just didn't wear their emotions on their sleeves.

>Britbong, the posters

Fuck me dead, you've got a whole thing going on here.

If you really want to wear this movie as a badge of british honour fine then, go for it. A few other sensibilities that are associated to the aforementioned points and your lot in general is embarrassment and repressed feelings, general uncomfort. Does that make for an interesting movie though? Does anything you just described sound original and interesting? As I mentioned before, band of brothers deals with everything you mentioned and then even a hell of a lot more. You're so far up your ass about muh STOICISM it's hilarious. I get what you're explaining but it's been done so much before. If you're going to bother with these elements you have to make it fresh and a focus point. Not just a small piece in the WW2 rollercoaster ride. Cheers for the talk, but the movie just doesn't leave much food for thought and is clearly supposed to be enjoyed for the experience it offers rather. Getting far too much praise just like the revenant.

I've got a local cinema (Boldon) that I normally go to, it's about a 20 minute drive there (10 or so miles)

Wondering if it would be worth going to see Dunkirk at an IMAX theatre at Gateshead, which is more of a trek, but I've never been to one before.

>great experience
>experience
> I FELT NOTHING
That's some next level contrarian/hipster double think rofl

>If you really want to wear this movie as a badge of british honour fine then, go for it.
Thanks, I will.

> embarrassment and repressed feelings
Nothing wrong with that. Effusive American-style brashness and loudness is embarrassing to us, much like our reservedness is embarrassing for you.

> general uncomfort
Your opinion. Being too forward is uncomfortable for us.

> Does that make for an interesting movie though?
Very interesting indeed, for British audiences.

> Band of Brothers
Also excellent, but in an American way. Played mostly by Brits, by the way.

> movie just doesn't leave much food for thought
I disagree. For the above points.

> supposed to be enjoyed for the experience it offers rather
Indeed. And what a good job it does at that too.

> Getting far too much praise
Deservedly.

I went to Gateshead today. It's worth every single mile and penny.

I literally could not understand a word of what was going on in the beached vessel

Only gripe really
Fucking love how unaerobatic the air scenes were though, take fucking notes redtails

You tip toed over the part about originality, nice try though. As an Australian do you think I relate to band of brothers on the surface or more so how it makes me feel and to reflect inwardly about myself? Rylance's stiff upper lip nod doesn't do anything for me. This explains why bongs haven't been able to do anything outside of comedy and mystery murder shows I guess.

Germany all inned on a bad hand and got lucky and rode on that luck the entire war until the better players caught on

Could it be said that this movie relied more on viewer creativity? The vignette format worked for me but I can imagine some people would prefer to spend less time thinking about what "the mole"," the boot" are

> Rylance's stiff upper lip nod doesn't do anything for me.
That's because you're Australian.

> This explains why bongs haven't been able to do anything outside of comedy and mystery murder shows I guess.

> Originality
I've never seen a film like this before. There.

> This explains why bongs haven't been able to do anything outside of comedy and mystery murder shows I guess.
You tip-toed over the part about two millennia of literature, art, and science.

Hey, we know that Australia is basically a continent-sized northern England, but you have the throwing-stick right, and Rolf Harris?

good shilling

What's your problem with stoicism?

Can someone explain why did Nolan cut from the burning Spitfire at the end to a close up of the main character/soldier in the train in Britain for literally a second? Why was that specific shot the last one?

It was a bit disappointing. Love Nolan's visuals but I see what some of Sup Forums and Rex Reed says about his faults. Films are never dialogue driven , their always is a time scheme (what put these events into play) actors seem to hold back ,instead of go to 11 and Nolan can say a little less and that would be perfect. That fucking Zimmer music instead of letting the visuals do the trick.

>low on resources
>counting on russia to sit there and watch as you take over france in a week
>your allies are a bunch of weekend warriors in the boot of italy and angry japs who, to their credit are wrecking some shit in all of Asia
>Their war machine is coming to a halt because the USA oil sanctions are catching up to them
All that considered the germans did bretty good

I don't know either, it was a poor choice in my opinion. Should have just closed on Tom Hardy being taken away by the Wehrmacht. in my opinion.

shit i said "in my opinion" twice

90% of Germany victory in WW2 were based on risky shitty decisions that ended up turning out alright.

Guess what happens when your luck runs out and you have to actually fight a long arduous conventional war instead of Blitzing through lava and praying it works?

You can go to jail for saying mean things online and need a license to own a kitchen knife

I feel sorry for everyone who will watch Dunkirk first time when the torrent is out. I can't imagine someone experiencing the same thing when that first Stuka beach attack comes in if you watch it on your computer. The cinema experience is worth it for the sound alone.
That first shot when the brit is drinking water visibly startled the entire theatre where I was, every single bullet in the film had weight to it, where compared to any other Hollywood action movie there can be thousands of shots flying left and right and you feel nothing.

It gave me feels like the painting in pic related, so I enjoyed it

yeah germany for sure did not have the resources to out-logitistic russia
Much less the sheer manpower

As tinfoil as the idea sounds I'm at least 80% sure the US and british were waiting for Russia, and thus communism to die before they went in and won but
>oh no its 1944 and the Russians are suddenly winning
Fucking stupidest part is alot of the american military historians are like "lol the germans made heug tonks and they lost because those tonks were OP" when the reality is that Tigers were to kill T34's, and KT's and Jagdtigers were for IS-2's

Germany had such bigger fish to fry and Russia was great at making full use of its women, men, and prisoners where they were needed, as well as having the funding for whacky projects like naval guns on treads, and the IS series of tanks

You know you're a hack when your movie can't stand on its own merits and you need some fucking IMAX "IT FEELS LIKE UR THERE" meme to engage people. Holy fuck what a hack.

No, you just need to watch in a cinema, not on your 13 inch Toshiba laptop.

If they worked out then, by definition, they weren't shitty

By "great experience" he meant that the set design and costumes provided a neat simulacrum of WW2, but he "felt nothing" because there was no coherent story or proper character development.

It didn't work out, they lost. They employed the same style of thinking through the entire war instead of changing it up when the losses piled up. Germany had plenty of opportunity to end the war on favorable conditions. Total European conquest was out of the picture and that should have been obvious when Britain didn't surrender.

hitler could have preserved his new germany empire instead he was lazy and didn't want to navigate geopolitics and work well with his allies due to his stubborn beliefs. sometimes you need to just realpolitik.

>yeah germany for sure did not have the resources to out-logitistic russia

they did. the war economy was mismanaged and was not brought to its full potential early in the war. tank production peaked in early 1945, well after the war was strategically lost. if they had done things properly (e.g. by not devoting massive resources to exterminating the jews while the war was still raging) then they could have won.

Just got back from the cinema. It was something different, but like a lot of war films was a bit over praised. On the whole I'd recommend it.

> coherent story
There were three. And any incoherence is intended.

> proper character development
Only halfwits care about 'character development' in a fucking war film. Who gives a fuck what Chad thinks about the war, he's a soldier. Fight it or fuck off.

Also
> simulacrum

>handmaking tanks the whole war
whata blunder
At least that shit is more reliable as museum pieces though
At least until parts break down and the curators have such headaches about that crap they can make whole video diaries about fixing it

Why the hell is everyone in the film white? You'd think that with hundreds upon hundreds of extras, they could've bothered hiring a PoC or two. England is 12% PoC and France is 16%, and more of them are unemployed than native whites. It's shameful to see great movies such as these ruined by racist old men who sacrifice diversity and modernity on the altar of "historical accuracy", although several British colonial troops fought at Dunkirk. Shame on you, Nolan.

i'm american and you're completely retarded. i'm sorry you need to have every thought and emotional conveyance spoon fed to you like the worst examples of my fellow country men. this was a film about men, doing a job. this movie is the embodiment of the british phrase "keep calm and carry on". the meticulous, punctual, almost mechanical actions of characters was incredibly refreshing. no mellow drama, no blatent hand holding. please stop making americans look like a bunch of un-cultured retards.

subtle, nuanced characterization is not the same thing as no characterization. i'm sorry you're a woman that couldn't pick up on everything.

there were 2 nigger soldiers.

even that was too many.

inb4 you're trolling, yes i know.

was the first movie i watched in imax
bravo nolan once again
how does the keep doing it?
>the part in the beginning where everyone lays down and the bomb explodes a guy
i swear zimmer fucks with us by playing some CIA notes because i couldnt help but feel super scared

go watch hacksaw ridge for the american take on how people think war is.

>no coherent story
The story was pretty fucking straightforward and simple, it's not like the non linear narrative is anything new or advanced.

>no proper character development
Because it's almost like the audience here is the character. It's told completely subjectively from the POV of the soldiers, it's almost like a virtual reality experience of that day without the 3D. Showing some absurd "scared young britboi turned to absolute fearless hero" character development in that short amount of time would be ridiculous.

I loved it. Its an audiovisual spectacle. The audio is truly terrifying. The planes, single gunshots, the explosions.. It's weird to actually watch a movie where a single plane or some gunshots can actually put you on the edge of your seat, considering how desensitized to violence we have been made by movies in general.

It's a very lean film, it captures the war "experience" better than basically anything I've seen, but that does mean it has basically zero depth in terms of character or story. Not an issue though, I think the movie was acutally better for it. I found it really immersive.

The movie's trailers looked ridiculous
>masses of walls of men on both sides charging without enough elbow space

And I'm glad they picked two real african people for those french troops, actual black negros from the colonies, not some mixed brown pretty boy.

>a few loud pinging gunshots is more effective than any jumpscare in modern horror
Also drowning and water is terrifying

I like it for now but when more people start liking it I will stop

French army development was mostly ignored by the chaotic French government, and so when the war came French military tactics and intel were severely outdated. Since the Brits had to co-ordinate with the French and Chamberlain had no spine the British mostly just stuck with the old "protect Belgium" plan, unaware of the French weakness in the Ardennes. The Germans, having realized this, sent their tanks through the forest and crushed the French forces at Sedan, quickly moving towards the coast with their tanks in order to encircle the Allied forces in Belgium. However, this meant the tanks overextended and had to wait for the infantry and supply lines to catch up, leaving them vulnerable. Thus, Göring argued that rather than send the tanks on a risky offensive the Luftwaffe should bomb the pocket into surrender. Hitler, overestimating Allied army strength and underestimating the RAF, agreed, so Dunkirk was spared immediate destruction.

TL;DR Frogs were incompetent, Germans didn't believe they were that incompetent, shied away from crushing Dunkirk.

I've never seen a film fail the Bechdel Test this hard, not sure why they felt the need to show the contribution of all the women to the war effort.

*to not show