HSR in the US

Should the US develop a real high speed rail system (and other transportation methods like Hyperloop) on par with European and Asian high speed rail networks?

No, faggot.

Before anyone says we already have planes, I would like to point out that an HSR system can greatly alleviate all traffic in crowded corridors (like California coast and Washington DC-Boston) like highways and airports. Furthermore it can force airliners to drive down prices in order to stay competitive.

The Californian corridor you've been trying to develop is a shinning example of why it will be so difficult to get HSR off the ground in the US. Massive cost, private property vs imminent domain, huge legal battles, no established industry, etc.

Decisions made by rich people in the early to mid 20 century have already damned our country to fixed destiny of cars. Move away if you truly want good trains because it's not going to happen here

Supposedly there's a project for high speed rail in Texas, probably the Texas Triangle, with some Japanese company. Hear about it from time to time but there's been no actual work as of yet so far as I know.

No. There isn't a high speed rail system on the entire planet that isn't hemorrhaging money.

Not true here

I did pretty extensive research on this in college and came to the conclusion it would never happen. Reasons being:
1.Cost

2.Imminent Domain vs Private Property

3. And the most important: When a train goes over a road, it cannot exceed 80 mph or some other low speed. That's why you should never buy the "the Acela is our high speed train!" meme. Notice in Europe that the trains almost never cross roadways. It's either under or over. So the idea of using existing rail system for high speed is null and void. Going back to cost, imagine all the bullshit you would have to deal with trying to build this shit over roadways or all the tunnels that would be dug. In addition, the suburbs are a thing most of Europe doesn't have, so unless your literally building this thing though desert, it's a logistical and financial nightmare.

No.

Basically, the population is too spread out for it to work. The greater distances involved make the cost of building and maintaining track much larger, and the increased travel time relative to flying more noticeable.

Yes it is. The entire planet would include you. No system currently pays for itself.

Don't worry comrade, if you vote for Bernie sanders, we can give you good state rails for best price friend.

Now here is where I came to a very logical solution.
Considering the immense highway system the US has due to that faggot FDR and his "new deal", if the Gov just dumped loads of money into bus transport that would solve almost every issue. I'm talking, new routes, stations, busses, giant ad campaigns to promote it, everything.

Think about it.

1. We have the roads
2. Traffic is absolute shitshow
3. Roads are crumbling due to so many cars and trucks
4. It would be much cheaper than building an entire new system.
5. Air Pollution cut down
6. Dependence in oil significantly reduced.

The only bottleneck is getting the public to accept riding public transport. In this age of pretentiousness it would be difficult, but it can be done.

Pic related. Some hardware I picked up yesterday. Walther PPQ.

> busses

pls kill yourself you retard

Wow thank you for you well thought out rebuttal Hanz. I expect more from a German. Embarrassing.

No financial incentive to build HSR until you can transport freight with it faster than truck

sorry but europe is not like the USofA, We have much more densly populated areas and space for new roads is scare, thats why we have trains for masstransit and cargo shippment. And yes our state trains make a profit and we also build the longest tunnel ever trough the alps.

People like you are the reason you faggots lost every war you've ever started.

The living patterns of people in our society would have to change in order for HSR to become viable here, but I don't see how that can happen. Our entire society is fundamentally developed around the car.

Btw, the correct term is "eminent domain", not imminent domain.

cross country no. in established megaregions with positive growth trends? maybe....between dying dindu industrial centers? sunbelt states with high growth rates and already congested cities will benefit the most. california, texas, florida and maybe the PNW.....

I'm writing from my phone in bumper to bumper traffic. Spelling is not a top priority you enormous faggots. Just try and grasp the points I'm talking about shitbags.

>Considering the immense highway system the US has due to that faggot FDR and his "new deal"
Wow someone had a public education in the liberal school system. I could have swore the National System of Interstate and Defense Highways was built by Eisenhower and not that wannabe posh poofter of a commie FDR.

It was incorrectly spelled twice in the thread. Keep that autism of yours in check.

Might be useful if two mega cities expand enough where it would make sense to connect them with a rail system.

Constructing major highways was the main thing the PWA worked on. The PWA was an organization created from the New Deal. FDR was the one who created presented the new deal.

Was that slow enough for you? I can find some crayons if you still need help.

No, we all have cars, and most families have several cars, getting your license is like a coming of age ritual, and a car is usually the first major purchase young adults make with their own money. From fast food places every mile or so, to summer road trips, to strips of businesses popping up along highways, to renting one for a week when you fly somewhere, car culture is a staple of American individualism. It is part of our national spirit, and any self respecting, moderately successful, freedom loving American owns one. Everyone knows that anyone over 20 without a car is basically a dirty hippie, commie, or nigger, and why should I have to waste tax money for them?

It would be cool

Created and* presented.

lmao you niggers would equip it with nukes and drive straight into hiroshima