X-Men

Ok, friends, user here. I wrapped up >Benis's UXM.
I got to Last Will & Testament, and I wasn't phased.
Really, not much aggravating there, especially considering Deadly Genesis happened. Xavier's ethical transgressions have been well documented. The only thing that may've been a bit off was how pissed Scott was, but I'll accept that it's cause he killed Chuck not too many months prior and has himself been a little off.
It was pretty good on the whole, honestly. Frankly, I found it to be much better than Gillen's Vol. 2, considering the only thing I remember from that was Namor boning Emma.
Probably ranks up with Dark and Mighty Avengers as Bendis's best (imo).

Anyways, I've not yet finished ANXM past Battle of the Atom, but I really haven't cared for it as much, might not even bother.
I read UXM 600, and the parts with thee ANXM cast were really irritating.

Also, the Annuals chronicling Eva's time romp were particularly good.
My only gripes are that Havok did essentially nothing when he showed up post-AXIS and the Anka sub issues were kinda lackluster compared to the other subs--also that Bachalo didn't do every issue.

Anyways, can we get a comfy X-Men thread?
Post favorite runs/titles.

Uncanny X-Men Utopia Era.

don't bother with ANXM

Bendis gives Chuck Austen's X-men run a real rival for worst X-run.

Claremont will never be topped

Can you give me the cliffnotes other than Bobby became gay?

I (think I) remember seeing solicits for something like the trial of Jean Grey. I like the Shi'ar a lot so my tolerance for bullshit would be higher but if it's just a "big nothing" I'll pass.
Lot of fun, that.

>Bobby, your gay
>O5 visits Ultimate universe
>O5 holds lecture to Utopians (random muggas, like Karma, Boom Boom and whoever)
>O5 goes to space to see Jeen get level up and new power
>Gladiator jobs
>as always
>"guy I had crush on hated Jews!!!!" Alex speech
That'd be all, I think.
>Lot of fun, that.
Indeed it is.

Not that guy but:
>Crossover
>Crossover
>Crossover
>Fight against team that doesn't make sense

Any thoughts?

Stuff to add, stuff to remove, stuff to move around?

Ideas about the Schism/AvX situation?

What Schism? What AvX? I have no idea what are you talking about.

So Cyclops was a space pirate. When did that stop?

Exactly. How do you put that in a rec image of the period.

I just finished Uncanny X-men 2013. Where do i go from there now? I want to see what Havok and Scott do.

Black Vortex. Rucka bailed after couple of issues.
Put only Uncanny X-Men issues, because they're only worth a fuck. After AvX, don't put main books since they're bad. Adjectiveless X-Men was bad, too.

No you don't, you want to read about Inumans.

They're just like X-Men but better, anyway!

X-Men Legacy, X-Force, and All-New X-Factor are quite good.

I read a recent comic with psylocke/magneto where they talk about terrigon mist raping mutants

Does anyones here consider pixie strike back a good mini besides me ?

They retired from being heroes and opened up a pizza restaurant

Hence "main books".

That's probably the current 'Uncanny' run.

Yuck.
I hope the Death of X bit kills Havok. He's got no room forward being edgy. Personally, I think it'd be cool if it was him masquerading as Scott that tries to kill the Inhumans.

Battle of the Atom is maybe the worst X-story I've read.

anyway decided fuck it and to get Uncanny omnibus 3. And gotta wait/hope for some collection of 144-153

So Magneto leading X-Force, that shoulda happened years ago. too bad Land is on art. and Lemire imo isn't bad but more boring... maybe an artist change will help

>Put only Uncanny X-Men issues, because they're only worth a fuck. After AvX, don't put main books since they're bad. Adjectiveless X-Men was bad, too.
So I'll just leave the passive-aggressive hint to the wiki entry.

Put what user said here
Those are good books.

It's Schism and then status quo post was Regenisis with Gold and Blue teams but linewide depending on if they went with Cyke (Mutant superheroes) or Wolverine (School for mutants)

it was a great little bit desu at least as far as my memory goes.

Eh. It's weird. I didn't love it.
I pretty much only put widely accepted stuff in that list anyway. No Ellis and no Liu for example. Only thing I ever compromised on was Utopia arc because that's necessary.

>Put what user said here
I pretty much did already. But for a first time reader the status quo changes would be sort of surprising without any sort of background.
I mean, I could just leave an empty column for Schism and hope they take the hint?

You can always put Schism on Worst X-stories Ever list.

Were there any notable solo X-Men books in the past 15 years?
Anything from Wolverine that was above average?

>Rucka bailed after couple of issues.

that was for good reason though.
His dad died while he was writing issue 2, and he didn't feel comfortable working on a book starring a kid reconnecting with his previously thought deceased dad.

Old man logan? Wolverine and x-men was my jam

When was OML? Nothing will beat Romulus at idiocy, though.
Yeah, learned that later.

the only real problems with Bendis' Uncanny runs are:
-almost everyone acts out of character
-Bendis set up the bad guy of the first arc as this real threat, and then revealed it as Dark Beast and ended it in 2 pages
-that fucking Original Sin arc (last will) was way too long, and to have time travel fix everything was kinda bullshit (considering he did the same thing in ANXM with the Battle of the Atom cast)
-The last couple issues were thrown off because Bendis went an issue or two over with Last Will, so the solicits and everything were off, and shit was combined. The issue were Havok appears was supposed to be the post-AXIS Havok (still a villain mentally), meeting up with Scott. Instead we get like 3 pages of them just chatting and acting like nothing is different.

Problems with Bendis ANXM:

-You're gay Bobby (I don't care that they made him gay, just the way it was done. very callous and we're supposed to act like Jean is so awesome and good for outing him)
-Jean in general. The whole book has everyone telling Jean that she can't just use her powers to read everyone's minds or mindcontrol them whenever she wants, but shes constantly doing it, and its always in such a way that makes her seem in the right?
-CROSSOVER CROSSOVER CROSSOVER
-The Utopians. Bendis was hyping them since the beginning of his run on social media and interviews, and then its an issue and a half. (honestly with this and his Uncanny run, I don't think he was really prepared to be kicked off the books due to Secret Wars. both books could've used another issue or two to wrap up his plot lines)
-The post Battle of the Atom arc. Having Xavier Jr and Wolverstyque appear again so quickly after the event, and the events of the arc clearly show that Bendis did not like having to work with Aaron and Wood on BotA.

Bendis was a mistake.

Not really solo books, but X-Men Legacy was consistently a solid book. First couple arcs focus on Xavier, then transferred to Rogue, then relaunched with Legion as the star.

Daken: Dark Wolverine was pretty good when Way and Liu were writing it, whoever took over from them (Rob Williams?) wasn't as good, but still not bad.

Bunn's Magneto was good (and leads pretty well into the current Uncanny X-Men run)

Not sure if you consider him under the X-Men banner, but Duggan's Deadpool hasn't had any major missteps.

last one I can think of is maybe the post-Messiah CompleX Cable book, forget the writer but its a decent post-apocalyptic Lone Wolf & Cub.

I feel like he wasn't prepared to actually handle the X-Men, especially with how psycho some of the fans are. He still gets X questions on twitter and tumblr and whines about it.

oh the one thing I forgot: Bendis broke up Cyclops and Emma simply because he didn't like the pairing and thought no one had written it well (previous Cyclops/Emma writers include Grant Morrison, Joss Whedon, Mike Carey, Chris Yost, Matt Fraction, Ed Brubaker, and Kieron Gillen, aka all better writers than Bendis)

>-almost everyone acts out of character
I didn't feel that honestly.
>-Bendis set up the bad guy of the first arc as this real threat, and then revealed it as Dark Beast and ended it in 2 pages
Yeah, that was kinda lame.
>-that fucking Original Sin arc (last will) was way too long, and to have time travel fix everything was kinda bullshit (considering he did the same thing in ANXM with the Battle of the Atom cast)
In truth, I actually just skipped Battle of the Atom.
>-The last couple issues were thrown off because Bendis went an issue or two over with Last Will
Ahh.

I thought Gillen was ultimately responsible.

Gillen was bound by the main story of AvX, which was Bendis.

I hope they somehow overlook him being "evil" in post Axis and have him form his own team. No need to kill more mutants

>I don't think he was really prepared to be kicked off the books due to Secret Wars.
Literally a 6 month delay for 600.

>Bendis
and like 5 others right?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought fishfry porking the diamond bitch happened outside of the main event and that was what caused them to break up.

no art can make a Lemire Team book good

Bendis didn't know about any of that. So the reason they actually broke up was that Emma was pissed at Scott that he put her down when she wanted to raze the world to the ground... or something along those lines.
Either way, especially with the influence of the phoenix involved, nothing was done that these two wouldn't have gotten past again. They are two very understanding and empathetic people after all, even if it's a bit burried in Emma's case.
Hell, Bendis basically had the problem that the characters in dialogue naturally gravitated towards each other again, so I remember him ending at least one or two conversations with a weak "Eh, I don't know how we could ever back together though."

I actually also had that lying around.

huh, nothing in that suggests the namor thing wasn't part of it.

Also,
>don't see how we could.
Seriously, how can surface-dwellers compete? Poor Scott.

I liked Tempus because of bubbles.

bubbles!

bubbles!!

bubbles!!!

forgot pic, bubbles!!!

This. Uncanny volume 2 is my favorite run for the series. It doesn't hurt that I started reading it when I was on my honeymoon at Disney World chilling by the pool at Wilderness Lodge. Great times.

>Jean booty

Most of the Utopia era takes place during v.1

This is some disgusting art

I know I went back and read it afterwards. But volume 2 has a soft spot in my heart even if most of the art was shit. Then again it was shit in a lot of that era in volume one.

>v.2 art
>shit
Yoooooo what?

Morrison's New X Men for me was just a massive part of my childhood, the waits between issues were something chronic. But I can't remember ever being that excited about a comic before or since. Also, Milligan's X Force was coming out at around the same time. Loved them both.

Land

It gets overlooked since the rest of the run was lame, but Liu's Astonishing X-Men had a pretty sweet Iceman arc.

That's the one where Thor comes in and Iceman freezes over the world, right? Weird that that happened a few months after Remender knocked off Sinister Iceman.

>v.2
>Land
Dude, really?

So did Bendis just outright forget how practically villainous he was making Jean in the first few issues? Did he forget the whole "mind controlling Angel into wanting to stay"?

Yeah most of it

>most
Not at all.
Pacheco and a host of guests did the bulk.

>Haven't really read X titles.
>just ordered a TPB of pic related
I have a good idea of who most these characters are. Will I know what I need to, or am I jumping into something I need to know decades of continuity for?
anything in particular I need to know?

Oh damn son. You're in for a motherfucking ride.

Morrison's Assault on Weapon Plus is a good place for some background for Fantomex.
Any of the Apocalypse things with Warren as Archangel. I'd say read at least a summary of Age of Apocalypse (but read it all cause it's ebin), as well as the 10th anniversary thing.
The issue preceding where Logan disbands the old X-Force has a few good panels.
Actually the entire preceding volume is a decent read.
As for Deadpool, no need to go. He's just the compassionate meem lord.
Betsy has an...interesting history. I think there's some mid-aughts Claremont stuff that goes into her current state of mind when approaching UXF. It's been a while.

Is X-Men '92 any good?

You're in for one of the best runs in recent history, well done

It's amazing. Read it.

It supersucks. That book is like the kryptonite for decent writing.
Imagine a comic that isn't based upon the best of the actual '90s comics but instead is just a superficial bastardization of the '90s children's cartoon.
That's what that is.

user, the page you posted was NOT an example of bad Bendis writing.

Yes, the Phoenix was driving everyone insane, yes, Rightclops was telling everyone who would listen that he wasn't in control at that point, yes, it is a ... yet ... unsolved mystery as to why they split up despite still being crazy for each other and each willing to forgive anything the other did...
*BUT*
Who better to know than the Phoenix-amped telepath Emma Frost (who knows Summers better than anyone else) if or if not Phoenixclops had lost it by the time he (as Phoenix-Emma herself asked him to in a crazy moment) ripped out her portion.
And for Doop's sake! Emma herself admitted later on to the Cuckoos in a psychic encounter that she commited an undisclosed betrayal that provoked that attack on her.
So that apparently was a somewhat reasonably motivated attack by someone still in their right mind.
If Cyke is lying to her, and probably himself, about how sane he was when he did that, obviously she has no reason to trust his claim about Xavier's death. Does she?

Remember Bunn and him discovering Aquafriends are really loving their guy? And he was all "sorry people, wait and see. I came to write story and I'll do it, and I'm out!"

5 star post desu

>>that fucking Original Sin arc (last will) was way too long
>mfw Original Sin tie-in was being resolved after multiverse got rearranged

Was Xavier's will even part of Original Sin?
They tacked on the tie-in blurb in ads but the story itself didn't have Original Sin's gimmick with the revealed visions like all the other tie-ins did.
Plus, as long as it was it obviously wasn't some last minute story made up on the fly for synergy's sake.

Yep, it was.

Here's a question:
If Original Sin had never happened, what would have been different about the -The Last Will and Testiment of Charles Xavier- storyline?

>Plus, as long as it was it obviously wasn't some last minute story made up on the fly for synergy's sake.
I think there were several stories like this at the time. I remember in Avengers there was a tie-in.

I guess it was sorta like a laundry gets aired because Steve remembered the Illuminati mindfucking him during the "tie-in"

I thought of it as a thematic link

Maybe a nicer looking cover?

Nothing. It didn't happen like other Sins. Remember how it went, with people all of sudden seeing shit. I don't think that happened with Guardians, either. All I remember is Gamora interrogating Quill about what happened to her bf.
>I think there were several stories like this at the time.
There were. Banner learning Tony messed with his gamma bomb, Steve remembering he was mindfucked by Illuminati, Ben learning Johnny messed with machine that could revert him to human self, Deadpool killing his parents, Luke Cage's dad was member of Avengers or some other team with other black heroes. We got Silk out of it, too.
And Black Knight randomly killing some D-lister because Ebony Blade hungers!

I feels for poor Mystique, always the illegitimate mother - never the bride.

My absolute favorite is how Logan impregnated mom of his best friend.
>congratulations, bub. You got a baby brother

( MILF-love.

Hopefully Juniors will be forgotten completely.
>tfw Sniktbub Junior was bad guy of No More Humans OGN
>tfw everyone went SCOTT! YOU MADE ALL HUMANS DISAPPEAR!
No, really. I doubt we'll see them. Remember Storm's daughter? She was on some pages in Wood's Adjectiveless and gone forever.

Storm's future-brat and her magic mutant panther weren't that bad an idea for JeanGrey school background weirdness, was there ever any scuttlebutt as to why that character fell down the canon-hole?
And for that matter, why don't we ever see that plant girl from Storm's miniseries?
Or that sad little Asian girl that Kitty and Illyana found abandoned on Monster Island?

They keep adding to the student cast but they're never seen again! . MURDERED? .

GASSED

They all make a colorful wallpaper!

Know what's weird?
One of the first background mutants, "Erg", he shows up all the damned time.
He's the guy with the Legion-hair and an eyepatch. Was originally just a random Morlock mutant.
You've probably seen him: when Osborn was locking up SanFran' mutants he was seen in a cell next to ProfessorX and Beast.
When Magneto went undercover in Mandipoor to investigate MGH sales, he was the guy Mags got info from in a barfight.
I have no clue why they keep using him, but they do.

Yeah. I always confuse Erg for Callisto.
You can imagine my surprise during Son of M when she didn't get superduper electrical powers.
Probably hair. That haircut takes a lot of space and doesn't need details.

Fucking Bendis. Why did you have to ruin him?

He was the most boring O5 member and being gay is what made him interesting.
This is what some people unironically believe.
>tfw Anole now wants to talk about STUFF
That speech bubble will trigger me forever.

Poor Aaron.He even gave Bobby and Kitty a kid in the future.

>I made that choice
Based Bendis rightly saying being gay is a choice.

Thanks to Bendis I can't bear to watch Bobby anymore. Not evening his pre-gay appearances. Now I just imagine him sticking an ice dildo in his ass.

If the all-new 'roid version Anole (PUN ALERT!) doesn't rape the hell out of Bobgay as soon as he's settled back in from his future adventure, I'm going to be very disappointed.

Now every scene with him mentions the gay shit.
>I'm gay you know?
>Did you know I'm gay?
>I've learned a lot about myself recently.
>Do you think Beast is a homophobe?

>tfw both Icegays fight for Anole's hand

I remember when Bendis first left the Avengers and all of the Avengers fans were happy and the X-Fans had no idea what they were getting into.