Was this the biggest flop of the past decade?

Was this the biggest flop of the past decade?

King Kong?
Lone Ranger?
Mad Maxi Pad?
BvS?
King Artdurrh?
etc

Arthur Legend of the Sword
Valerian
John Carter
Alice Through the Looking Glass
Ghost in the Shell
Fantasitc Four
Jupiter Ascending
Pan
Tomorrowland
Pixels
47 Ronin

Also
Monster Trucks
Mars Needs Moms
Lone Ranger

If only they had called it something else. Anything else.

Prometheus.

>Mars Needs Moms
sounds hot

Like Princess of Mars?

>Alice Through the Looking Glass
wtf what happened

>rewrite the story, just slightly, so that they're abducting milfs to impregnate them and mindbreak them

Movie saved.

>modern adaptation of obscure decades-old book
>senseless name change to make it even less appealing
>fuckall marketing
>massive 200mil+ budgets
JC and Valerian are the exact same scenario. Who keeps funding these?

I had no idea that existed and I've seen the first one in cinema

Thats Valerian.

In Valerian's case, Besson seemed to have raised the money himself somehow. Why, to just make that film?

With 200m of my own cash I'd rather be a bit more unrestrained.

Nobody gave a shit. I saw the first one in theaters and hated it. I remember seeing a trailer for the second.

Bro he asked John Carter was the biggest flop this decade not to list a bunch of them

Most of the money is going to come from Europe since it's the only place where the property is actually known by the audiences

>First one made over a billion
What the fuck?

It has the word Mars in it, and Disney thought that was the reason Mars needs Moms was a bomb

John Carter is based on a series of novels by author Edgar Rice Burroughs and tells the tale of John Carter from Jasoom who travels to Barsoom, meets Tharks, and is entangled in a war to stop Sab Than the Jeddak of Zodanga, but Matai Shang, a Hekkador and leader of the Therns, is manipulating Sab Than into conquering the Heliums and into marrying Deja Thoris, a Jeddak Preddak plag. But Tars Tarkas, Sarkoja, Sola, and Woola the Calot are out to stop Sab Than and Matai Shang from crabdangoing the frangochangs.

>raise $200mil for decades-old pipe dream of a passion project
>shit out generic ebin save-the-world fantasy movie full of bad costumes, generic designs and shitty CGI
why bother?

>King Kong?

More than a decade ago now, and it performed respectably if not brilliantly at the box office. It just wasn't well received. Compared to John Carter it was a smash hit.

>Mad Maxi Pad?

Did respectably and was very well received, including numerous Oscar nods & several wins. No one considers it a flop.

If you want to see "flop", look at movies like R.I.P.D. and Seventh Son.

The problem with JCofM is that Deja Thoris is supposed to basically be a brown naked exotic queen. This was Burrough's beat off material, and probably pretty hot stuff for pulp magazine-reading nerds of the 10s.

That's why most art depicting has her wearing pasties, because they have to at least cover her up a little bit.

The first movie was one of the first 3D movies to come out of Avatar, so that alone gave it a lot of hype.
Disney thought it was succesful for other reasons, and of course, it flopped.

All box office bombs from 2010 onwards

47 Ronin
Alice Through the Looking Glass
Allied
Aloha
Battleship
Ben-Hur
The BFG
Blackhat
Conan the Barbarian
Cowboys and Aliens
Deepwater Horizon
Ender's Game
Fantastic Four
The Finest Hours
Ghost in the Shell
Ghostbusters
Gods of Egypt
The Good Dinosaur
Green Lantern
Happy Feet Two
How Do You Know
Hugo
The Huntsman: Winter's War
Jack the Giant Slayer
John Carter
Jupiter Ascending
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
Legend of Oz: Dorothy's Return
Live By Night
The Lone Ranger
The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
Mars Needs Moms
Monster Trucks
The Nutcracker in 3D
Pan
Pixels
R.I.P.D
Rise of the Guardians
Seventh Son
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
Tomorrowland
The Wolfman

What would have worked best?

A Princess of Mars
Barsoom
John Carter
John Carter of Mars

they dropped the ball by not starting early (like a year) of promo telling the public about john carter.
disney thought the general pop knew about e.r.b story and how it influenced a generation of movies/scifi/comics/heroes.
but no.
also putting just 'john carter'. how the fuck was i suppose to know who that was.

and when i finally looked it up (the new comics that were put out), deja was suppose to b.e a skin goddess. not covered up like in the movie.

Literally destroyed Olivia "5 head Manjaw" Wildes career

>Mad Maxi Pad?

made well over 2X its budget back

>More than a decade ago now

lol

not that king kong

the king kong he was referring to was such a flop you forgot its existence.

>Olivia "5 head Manjaw" Wilde

What did user mean by this?

Under the Moons of Mars

The main star was already too old to play Alice. They ended the first one in a way she became an adult. The first one had Futterwacken...I'm not sure whats in the second. I haven't seen it yet. This alice movie might have been one of the first kid friendly movies since Charlie. I can't remember if Johnny started getting a bad reputation when this second one came out.