Reading George Perez Wonder Woman since it's apparently the definitive run

>reading George Perez Wonder Woman since it's apparently the definitive run
>NOT MUH MAN'S WAY
What the fuck is this hippie bullshit? I thought she was meant to be the ONE hero in the Trinity that would get shit done instead of moping. Where's the badass warrior spirit I was promised?

>TFW Wondy won't snap single neck in her movie even though of the trinity she is the most prone to snap necks

Why does Wonder Woman hate necks?

Given how peaceful she's characterized in Perez yeah this is actually a salient question. What the fuck happened?

Wonder Woman has been horribly characterized through the years. She is supposed to be the most compassionate of the Trinity.

This is actually a good thing.

WW at her best doesn't kill.

This. She should be less prone to violence and more opposed to killing than even Superman.

She should always find another way or at least try to. IMO, when she's on the Justice League, she should totally fight most of the time.

Why'd shit like pic related happen then?
It's not an isolated incident either, there's an entire compilation image.

>What the fuck is this hippie bullshit?
Comics before the 2000's started edgy crap like Max Lord killing Blue Beetle or Dr. Light raping Sue Dibny

> I was evil all along!
Fuck you Geoff Johns

>at her best
Wondy was conceived in the first place as a hero who'd work peacefully rather than stooping to macho violence. Like, this came in even before the idea of making her a woman.
I think my preferred version of Wondy is one who, rather than Batman and Superman's punch-happy but kill-never stances, leaves fighting as a last resort, but is willing to kill if it's necessary. Which is part of why I hate sword-Wondy so much.

>She should be less prone to violence and more opposed to killing than even Superman.

Superman isn't opposed to killing. That's Batman.

Shock value, followed by godawful flanderization since then. Because nothing says stronk independent woman like total sociopath.

It's because the misinterpretation of the character is just that prevalent.

Perezfags don't really get the character. Post-Crisis Wonder Woman is really just a Xna knock-off.

That's utterly boring. She takes all this inspiration from the Greek stuff she should be way more into killing for the greater good but unlike Batman bot be a psychopath and relish in the idea and how inescapable the temptation is. She should fight for peace and know that peace is something worth killing for if it leads to an ultimate end of the killing.

*Xena

>Because nothing says stronk independent woman like total sociopath.

Well, not entirely off.

>That's utterly boring. She takes all this inspiration from the Greek stuff she should be way more into killing
Fuck off.

The Wonder Woman you like is actually them ruining the character.
Like Harley and Deadpool, she's a character most popular when written terribly.

They wanted to differentiate her from Batman and Superman as part of the 'trinity' and decided her thing would be killing her enemies.

They've essentially turned her into Thor.

If you're talking about gigantic monsters, maybe. As far as humans go most incarnations have him opposed.

Is there anything consistent in her characterization at all, outside of ?

Retards such as Johns that don't know anything about her and project this barbarian-esque character on her. So many writers did that in the 2000's.

I love you Johns but you took a gigantic diarrhea dump on her in Infinite Crisis

Wrong. She is compassionate, but she WILL kill if it's necessary to save lives, because she IS a WARRIOR.

Superman is the ONE hero who should NEVER kill because he respects life above all else, he's the one who's been misunderstood the most.

Superman tends to be in kind of a weird spot where he doesn't have an explicit code against killing but he really hates it and he's so damn powerful that there's always an alternative he has access to, so he just never has to do it.

It's not as central to his character as Batman, nor as rigid (usually--this is a character that's been interpreted a million times after all), but yeah he generally doesn't like it.

Are you 14?

You should read comics someday

A ripoff of a character that wouldn't be invented for ten years?

If you want killing and edginess, read the Punisher.

I don't understand why everyone on Sup Forums is always complaining that every hero isn't the Punisher.

I'd read a comic where every superhero was the Punisher.

>If you want killing and edginess
She's not mass murdering gang members, just killing the occasional super villain. You know, super villains? The murderous creeps that always break out of prison and go right back to killing? Some of them need killing. Wonder Woman is a true hero and the fact that she kills is a good thing, you're a numale cuck Batfag.

Amazons were antithesis to regular ancient greek norms. That was the entire point.

Did it ever happen twixt Perez & Johns then?
Because the only time her killing ever comes up in the former is when she's mulling over how really really tempted she is to do it once or twice.

Because Joker's still alive.

>killing is edgy
I fucking hate Sup Forums.

Okay so imagine if steven universe, with how pacifist it is, kept going until it went through a reboot. And in that reboot they make steven into a more assertive but generic fight kid dude., but still with the hippie stuff. Now imagine they do it again and take out more of the hippie stuff. Imagine they keep rebooting it until it's basically just Ben 10 where there's no real pacifist message at all and, quite the opposite, the gems are shattering every corrupted gem and it's treated like just the thing they're supposed to do.

That's what happened with wonder woman. Anyone who says wonder woman was always supposed to be a bad ass amazon is a post that doesn't get it. Shit like cutie honey or any number of generic magical girl anime are closer to what wonder woman is supposed to be like. Fucking kill la kill gets wonder woman done better than actual wonder woman.

But that's not her character. If you don't like a Wonder Woman who avoids killing, you don't fucking like Wonder Woman

Rucka did a good arc where she fights Medusa and has no choice but to kill her. Of the three Trinity members, she's the most likely to kill an enemy, but she's still killed like three or four times in her entire history.

This idea that she's totally willing to kill enemies because she's a "warrior" is fucking bullshit that Johns made up.

tl;dr stop trying to make her into a different character, if you think she should be a violent warrior, fuck off and read Red Sonja. Imagine if someone came to you and said "Spider-Man having problems with his social life because of his responsibilities is stupid, he should just be a dark crime fighter." You'd think they were fucking retarded. That's what you're doing when you say this bullshit about Wonder Woman.

I remember her decapitating Medusa in Eyes of the gorgon, because the situation had gotten pretty damn grave. But like Supes, killing used to be a last resort before the current renditions. She was also massively shit on for that decision and the later neck snap.

>A ripoff of a character that wouldn't be invented for ten years?

Uh, yes? Don't you read comics?

I'm worried her movie is going to have her killing enemy soldiers even though they're basically no threat to her.

>Which is part of why I hate sword-Wondy so much.
FUCK THAT NOISE. Wonder Woman's a fucking Amazon, a warrior. I want her to busts some fucking heads.

Spoken like someone who has read almost zero Wondy comics.

How about you read another character if that's what you want? Amazons aren't boring like that.

By the time Rucka got to her, yeah.

Nah i'll read WW when she's like that. Wondy is at her best when she's a fucking Warrior. Drinking in the fucking joy of battle.

Rucka did an arc where Wonder Woman didn't even try not to kill Medusa. She doesn't even meet the woman before declaring that she has to split the head from her body.

Even Azz Wondy wasn't really like that. You must only read shitty team books.

Where is she ever like that, besides elseworlds and shitty Justice League runs?

A "warrior" that doesn't kill is the most boring thing ever though.

That seems inherently less generic than one who does.

She CAN kill but it's still not her first option. Or her second. Or her third.

If you just want bloodthirsty shit you can fuck off because that's not WW. Even in the damn OP image it was her last resort.

I'm not even one o the hardcore Wondyfags ITT and you're starting to scare me senpai.

Less generic doesn't mean less boring.

Wasnt that scene explained in crysis like an influence of some bad stuff Alexander was doing? I think I remember that influence on Batman losing hope and almost giving up

>Shit like cutie honey or any number of generic magical girl anime are closer to what wonder woman is supposed to be like

This.

Everybody always talks about the runs that "bring Wondy to her roots", but in both the William Moulton Marston WW comics and the stuff that came right after (from Robert Kanigher), she was pretty much a proto-magical girl, defined -- in large part -- by the fact that she could do almost anything and consistently saved the few men in her life (Steve, sometimes Mer-Boy/Mer-Man, and some others).

It needs to be emphasized that she

That sounds like something you'd say before doing something ten times worse than murder.

(foiled again by the damn Sup Forums pass!)

>It needs to be emphasized that she
** that she was *never* a killer before, like, COIE, or even a little bit after that. For the large majority of her history, she was just a kind of dorky/cutesy character who nonetheless could be badass whenever she needed to be. That's it.

She was never really defined by her Greek origins (just like Superman was never strictly defined by his Kryptonian origins).

Wonder Woman should only kill if it's necessary.
Superman should only kill if it's necessary.
Batman should only kill if it's Darkseid.
The Flash should only kill if it's necessary.
Green Arrow should only kill if it's necessary.
Green Lantern should only kill if it's necessary.
Aquaman should only kill if it's necessary when on League business, and should be merciful but more willing to kill enemies when acting as the ruler of Atlantis rather than as a JL member.

Hmm lets let the mastermind who mind controlled Superman, killed Booster Gold's husbando and helped (Batman's fault) Brother-Eye in the future, live.

Sure won't come back to bite their ass like someone, maybe like the Joker?

Medusa challenged her to a duel in Ares name, i doubt not killing your opponent was possible.

When you're trying to force it on colorful capes that no business doing that in the first place it is.

Well he never said better, he just said unimaginable.

Well technically the superpowered serial murderers that spark these debates in the first place have no business therein either.

Touché. But really the debate as a whole is kind of dumb because it comes down to tone and the inherent amount of realistic logic that comes with it. With light-hearted Silver-Age stuff you really don't expect realism because they make it clear that it's silly entertainment, but the darker it gets the more you expect logic and realism and that's when it all falls apart because superheroes simply aren't realistic no matter how much people want them to be.