Suicide Squad estimated 69% drop

>Based off early evening figures tonight, The Warner Bros/DC pic is headed toward a -69% second weekend drop that’s on par with Batman v. Superman

>If Suicide Squad doesn’t pick up this weekend, then it will tie with the Zack Snyder superhero clash and 20th Century Fox’s X-Men Origins: Wolverine as one of the worst sophomore fall-offs for a superhero movie.

deadline.com/2016/08/weekend-box-office-suicide-squad-sausage-party-petes-dragon-1201802677/

Other urls found in this thread:

investopedia.com/articles/investing/093015/how-exactly-do-movies-make-money.asp
boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=dc2016.htm
avclub.com/article/weekend-box-office-suicide-hotline-bling-240763
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

As it should, it was a really shitty film that was filled with tiny little pieces of what would have been a good film.

WB is not going to be worried as long as it isnt losing money. SS movie has already broke even by this point. They are probably gonna make few millions of this movie which is enough for WB to justify a sequel

It reportedly needs $700 million to break even due to the reshoots.

Are you the devil?

>le reportedly million to break even maymay
Fuck off

It reportedly needs that amount to truly satisfy producers, not to break even. Breaking even just means they covered their budget so the movie isn't technically a bomb, but that doesn't mean the suits would be happy with it. See: The amazing Spiderman 2

SS has no competition. It's going to be fine.

But it broke records on a Tuesday

Thats bullshit. You can look at the figures and clearly see it has broke even at the very least to this point

>I don't understand things anyone with even a basic familiarity with Hollywood knows

Hollywood accounting is not some sort of dank meme created by Sup Forums, it's something you start to understand with even a cursory reading into major film productions. No film studio on planet Earth has reported the "actual" budget for one of their major films in decades, they always lowball it just to give themselves a margin of error for public perception.

You might as well argue that the Hollywood dump months are a meme too.

Suicide Squad has nothing to threaten it so it's not going anywhere. Do you really think oversea gives a fuck about anything else that Hollywood is putting out? There's a reason why Superheroes movies make so much money.

I fucking hate this universe. WB keeps doubling down, acting like we're the problem

GUESS WHO'S BACK
BACK AGAIN

>Suicide Squad has nothing to threaten it so it's not going anywhere

Ain't that the truth.

Just dump month my shit up, senpai.

>Pete's Dragon

wut? Kubo looks good

The studio ends up with roughly half of the total box office gross in their pocket, so it's made a little more than the declared production budget at this point. It probably needs more to cover marketing, considering how many ads there have been.

What? I don't see shit.

Kubo looks like potential kino to me and War Dogs reminds me of "Wolf of Wall Street" which I loved.

I'm sure Kubo will be awesome, but it's gonna make 40 bucks at the box office like every other Laika movie.

You know all studios crook their books, right?

oh no now it'll never get that $3.8 trillion it needs to cover it's marketing costs

>/biz/

>all the bo money go straight to WB's pocket

You 're not the smartest child in your family, are you?

>Sausage Party
>Pete's Dragon
>both fresh
>SS has no competition

>WB isn't going to worry that another one of their major DC movie is fairing poorly at the box office because of bad word of mouth

This is something WB should absolutely worry about. They've damaged the brand.

Because having that fresh rating really helped flopbusters

Fembusters was pretty much DOA box office wise once the first trailer hit online, no matter what the reviews would be.

DAMAGED

>>Sausage Party
>>Pete's Dragon
Most teens and young adults are not going to see that shit, not to mention overseas. Fucking Sausage Party is going to be lucky if it even makes any money.

vash17?

It broke even.

What they meant is that 700 million would justify it and continued expansions of it.

Exec's don't want to "break even" they want to make back many times what they made on investment.

You also have to take into account that money made in other countries also gets gouged, because the distributors in those countries have to take a chunk.

China's one of the worst about it, sometimes taking as much as half of what a movie makes released over there.

It's roughly 30% for international, and 70% for domestic. However each of those decreases in points over time

>Pete's Dragon
the literally who of the month
>Sausage Party
Way too niche to cause concern

>the literally who of the month

>not Ben-Hur

Sausage Party is going to have to flop as hard as Gili to not make money, it had a production budget of only $19 million.

It's amazing to me how desperate people are on this board to see this movie fail in ANY aspect.

*Suicide Squad receives no Oscar nominations*

-"HAHAHA! DC Cucks BTFO. Reboot when? Snyder is cancer. Katana? Literally who? HAHAHA! DCEU is dead."

It's so pathetic and embarrassing. I used to like this board. It just sucks now. I mean, look at OP's picture. That's some legendary tier cringe right there. I honestly feel sorry for whoever took the time to make that. It doesn't even have the correct DC logo.

Ben Hur is going to be surprisingly average with a fresh rating unlike SS.

>China's one of the worst about it, sometimes taking as much as half of what a movie makes released over there.
Much, much higher.
>It's roughly 30% for international, and 70% for domestic. However each of those decreases in points over time
Your numbers are still off. 50% domestic, 25 to 35% many bigger international countries which then gets eaten up in fees. Foreign countries go out of their way to make sure they put so many fees on the movie money being sent back so that they earn more for the home country than the studio does.

Disney currently has one of the highest percentage rate deals in place with international theaters as of two years ago.

>hating on mosaics
>hating on best logo
Piss off

IKTF, breh. I remember trying to reassure worried anons before BvS was released that Shazam was going to be set in the DCEU. When I saw it was double triple confirmed it would be this week, it just made me feel sad.

>What is an exception to the rule, Alex.

It is, but it isn't.

Flopbusters had negative ratings from actual critics, not bloggers.

>Your numbers are still off. 50% domestic

50% domestic is a thumb rule that should be applied only after the movie has stopped screeniing domestically and then applied to the overall domestic box office earned by then

Right now the only thing guaranteed from domestic box office going right into WB's pocket is 95% of opening weekend which is a standard Hollywood deal. Everything else is just guess work

So we can only assume that at worst Suicide Squad has broken even at this point if we just consider 50% of WW box office. If we do 50% of domestic at this point it will give an incorrect estimate since 50% of domestic leaves a good chunk of the opening weekend right now which studios like WB generally get most off

The DCEU brand is toxic. A Captain Marvel movie would only work if it was separate.

Maybe just have Billy read Superman comics.

WB is only worried about the current Quarters figures, it will worry about the brand only when it has run down the ground leading to losses, i.e when its too late

>It's amazing to me how desperate people are on this board to see this movie fail in ANY aspect.
It's amazing to me how desperate someone defending this movie, and most likely the DCEU as a whole would try so hard to dismiss the literal metric for "Repeat business is in the company of that of historically bad turds because the poor rubes who were hyped to see his movie aren't going back to see it again or telling others to go and see it once because after seeing it, they agree with 'paid off' critics that it sucks ass."

90% in the first week, decreases by about 5-10 each week. I remember BvS had something insane like 95%+ on the first week

Why the fuck are they remaking Ben-Hur.

I saw Suicide Squad tonight
my favorite part was when Batman used a little girl as a human shield

Marvel fanboys start your frapping.

Not a bad idea.
Hell, make it the mid-credits scene since WB has about faced and might be doing that now, and just have Billy watching the end of MoS before turning it off and saying:
>What a crappy superhero.

Real critics are a dying breed m8, bloggers have taken over and that's the way of the future.

The girl stepped in front of him. Floyd is Deadshot. You think he's going to accidentally shoot his own daughter? Or do you think he would shoot her on purpose?

Shitposting is a art.

Not him, but You're right. Floyd is Deadshot, and even in the comics, his daughter is what matters most to him. He wouldn't hit her, but I'd bet he would even risk the possibility that he might. Bruce would probably know that. Doesn't make his doing it honorable, but it'd be something a scummier Batman would resort to.

Batman could have literally dive bombed Deadshot if he had wanted to and then curbsromped his ass. Instead he merely appears behind Deadshot and tells him to surrender for his kid's sake.

*an art

Mine too

>Laika movie
>Doing well in the Box Office

Pick only one

but he was just standing there doing nothing for like a minute while deadshot talked to his daughter
it was quite silly

>hurr come quietly so I can throw your ass in jail and take you away from your daughter
What did he think was gonna happen?

Gotcha bitch

Yeah he should've bashed Deadshot's brains in while his daughter stood there looking on. After that he should let out a maniacal laugh, smack Floyd's daughter and tell her to get a pole and practice for her future career.

That's just not true. WB was clearly intending the DCEU to be an ongoing money-maker that would sustain the studio for years to come like the MCU does for Disney.

That's the problem with these under-performing movies. Not only do they fall short in the present, they harm the future of the franchise. WB is very much looking into the future, and that future isn't looking good.

Yet another in the long line of baffling remakes.

Who the fuck was asking for the Robocop remake from a few years ago?

Please stop this company wars shit.

I love both Marvel and DC characters. The DCEU fucking up so badly is sad BECAUSE I want to see good DC movies. I want great Batman and Superman movies, I want great JLA movies, etc.

But the DCEU is just irrevocably poisoned at this point. It needs to burn to the ground so that someday something better can come.

>Marvel btfo

What's next for FOX anyway?

RoboCop remake could've been good.

Wolverine 3 next year, then Deadpool 2 and New Mutants (and the Legion show, guess that counts).

I don't think they've got anything planned for the X-Men series proper yet. And Gambit won't happen, I would bet money on it.

I think you might be doing that thing where instead of refuting my point, you're making it sound like I'm saying some zany hyperbolic thing instead

>investopedia.com/articles/investing/093015/how-exactly-do-movies-make-money.asp
>Major studios and indie filmmakers alike now spend much of their days looking for new sources ofrevenue, because ticket sales are no longer the be-all and end-all for films.
>The film industry is in flux, and ticket sales alone don't drive revenue. There’s merchandising, VOD sales, foreign sales and a plethora of otherdistribution channelsthat can help filmmakers, producers and studios turn a profit.

I wonder how many times this article will be reposted before retards finally stop spouting the "muh twice budget at the box office" meme.?

50% of WW is a decent rule of thumb and that indicates SS moviehas broke even by this point

That can't be right, that's cheap as fuck for how good the animation looks.

Is the 79% estimated drop Friday to friday?
boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=dc2016.htm

They're already in pre-production for the next X-men movie, its going to be set in 1993.

I already did the domestic calculation though

>Production Budget: $175 million

>Domestic Opening Weekend: $133,682,248

>First week Box office: $45,422,480

(The remaining box office from total box office minus the opening weekend will give you the first weeks BO)

95% of Opening Weekend : $120,314,023
+
80% of First week : $36,337,984

=WB pocketed this money from Domestic Box office earnings as of now : $156,652,007

calculated 95% of Domestic Opening weekend (standard hollywood studio deal) PLUS 80% off of remaining Domestic box office (which is conservative considering the remaining box office is of first week BO and the studios collect as much as 85% from theaters. Similarly Week 3 and 4 will slide WB's share down up to 50% from box office)

This $156,652,007 is the Gross Revenue WB will declare publicly even to IRS since this figures cant be hidden or manipulated.

Now the cooking of the books starts after all the Gross Box office WB pockets and starts adding costs. the more costs it can add the lesser its net profit will be. The lesser the net profit the lower the total amount of tax WB has to pay

This is where hollywood accounting comes in where they add all sorts of bullshit costs making the net profit go to zero or heck even turn it into a net loss. This means they dont have to pay any tax on it since the books show they did not earn anything when in reality they just made up costs out of thin air

This is how Star Wars IV screwed over many of the cast members who got a backdoor deal with net profits from the film

>its going to be set in 1993.
Wow it's fucking nothing.

Suicide Squad the film has not broken even yet, but it should get there. Box office figures are ticket price, and the studio gets half of that. At $175 million to produce and probably another $100~150 to market, Suicide Squad will need to sell at least $550 million. $700 million is definitely a high-end estimate, but not outside of reason.

Even if the film itself doesn't technically break even, strong merchandising and home video may still justify a sequel.

I know that feeling senpai, I wish the film flopped like hell but its mediocre in all aspects just like all other DC moveis since Man of Steel

No, it really couldn't, and it was completely unnecessary.

RoboCop is such a product of its time that it's pointless to try and remake it. It also said what it wanted to say perfectly. What is added by doing it again?

You should only do a remake if the original was lacking, or if you really think you have something new to bring to the table. The original RoboCop wasn't lacking anything, the remake didn't bring anything new or good enough to justify itself.

Know what's better than suicide? fooooooooooood!

That's the figure box office mojo is listing.

All this number crunching is bullshit.

>Pacific Rim had a budget of $190 million.
>Made only $411 at the box office ($100m of that was domestic gross).
>They still green-lit a sequel.

That sequel has been "green-lit" for years, wonder why?

Well, its currently in pre-production, they have started casting (John Boyega will play Idris Elbas son) and plan to start shooting this year... its gonna happen senpai.

It went entirely according to plan, Floyd gave himself up.

I loved paific rim.

Yet, the latest new is that PR2 would be delayed indefinitely. Not cancelled, just delayed forever and ever more.

So glad I dropped all capeshit comics and movies altogether, this Nufanbase obsessed with console wars and which movie universe makes more money makes me sick and made me lose all the love and enthusiasms I had for Super Heroes.

Fuck Marvel, fuck DC and fuck their fan-base.

Greenlighting a sequel doesn't mean shit. Sequels are greenlit all the time that don't get made. Usually it's just a way for the studio to save face.

>That's just not true. WB was clearly intending the DCEU to be an ongoing money-maker that would sustain the studio for years to come

Yeah but it needs to have someone with a proper vision to carry it through. WB doesnt have Fiege kinda guy that Marvel has as of now

We're not the ones pounding essays on keyboards about why Margot Robbie is an internalized misogynist for wearing spangled short shorts with great salt & vinegar because people wanted to see a movie despite all the critics bashing.

avclub.com/article/weekend-box-office-suicide-hotline-bling-240763

They're calling people Chads for watching a comic book movie that isn't Marvel. Fucking Chads! Of all things!

>its gonna happen senpai
Right. It's due to come out the same day as Tron 3 and Dredd 2 I heard.

It's after you break even that you start to make a profit, doofus.

when did I say other wise faget

Saw the movie. Only the main characters look great and move well, incidental characters like the pizza look as good Clippy from Windows 98