Discuss all things Stargate, and a reminder origins will be shit

Other urls found in this thread:

gateworld.net/news/2009/05/stargate-recommended-viewing-order/
youtube.com/watch?v=_BDgn4ijw6Q
youtube.com/watch?v=cNh_yNhvXGM
youtube.com/watch?v=fcSSbJRORaQ
youtu.be/svsSPzU-8-M
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>inb4 people saying we have to watch it even though it'll be shit to get more Stargate

I'm not that desperate for more Stargate honestly

I hated those humans from the world that was slightly behind us technologically.

wtf was their problem?

To all the people saying to give Origins a chance, it's set to air this fall and they haven't even shot any footage or have a cast yet, I doubt they have a completed script.

the one the Prometheus landed on?

The ones that had some war going on in their world and were developing nukes.

Jonas' Homeworld? It's because they never learned about the dog and the dancing monkeys.

inb4 goold

Considering its 10, 10 minute episodes, they could wrap it up in a day.

Script will be
>muh strong womin in 1930's
>what's this big O
>we can't let ze germans have it, put it on a boat but fuck the DHD
>lets put elliot in a diving suit and send him through
>montage of her looking at symbols and looking stressed, time flows
>meets daniel

Which one? The one the Ori eventually convert or the one where the the gate is unearthed from a cliff and the local goverment is shit scared since it proves the people they're at war with are right all along?

I think he's talking about the one with the naquadria bomb,

the whole "trailer" and poster reeks from Emmerich's lame meme hipster idea (like in id4: let's make the alien ship beatable with a computer virus! or id4-2: let's the alien ship now as big as a contintnet!!):
here we have the meme standard now:
-female protagonist
-prequel to SG! -eventhough everything and even more were already told in SG-1

10 10 minute episodes can be considered as a movie, especially if it'll be released at once, netflix style

Does this show have a trek or babylon 5 feel? Is it serialized? Where should I start?(which series/movie)? I am wildly unfamiliar with it but dig the genre

Just start with stargate sg1
The movie isn't a must.

Movie
SG1 1-7
SG1 se8 SGA se1
SG1 se9 SGA se2
SG1 se10 SGA se3
Ark of truth
SGA SE 4
SGA se 5 search and rescue
Continuum
finish SGA se5
SGU

i heard it's on hulu

watch the movie, then sg-1 (season 1 is 'story of the day'-styled, later it becomes to have overarching stories), then SGAtlantis (can be watched simulatiously with SG1 season8-9-10, cause it happens at the same time), then SGU (season 1 is BSG like, season 2 is better)

Kelowna, Jonas Quinn's homeworld.

I wouldn't watch anything aftet atlantis though.

SG1 carries on after the first film so you can watch the film then SG1, some themes/ideas aren't carried over like the baddy in the first film being the same as the ones in the show but not at the same time.

Avoid the episode "Emancipation" I think it's episode 4 of the first season, the first 3 episodes are 1 long one. Emancipation is just fucking bad and thankfully they don't repeat the same mistake.

Binge SG1 from seasons 1-10, though you can start watching Atlantis around season 7 if you want to watch it from a timeline point of view (I rewatched the shows this way and was pretty cool when things tied in but it was a hassle to keep track off, there are guides with a quick google search) Otherwise watch Atlantis after SG1, and it's movies that come after the end of SG1.

After Atlantis it's Stargate Universe which is pretty different and most people hate it, I enjoyed it but compared to the other shows it's pretty fucking weak.

It's one of the comfiest Sci-fi shows out there, made before a time of pandering and shoehorning in ideas/traits of the current year.

So who else is planning to start marathoning SG-1 in a few days to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the pilot going to air?

The female protagonist isn't the problem. If it was a show about Carter either running the SGC or on the Hammond, that would be great. The problems are
-such obvious little effort
-trying to recon existing cannon of the importance of daniel and oneill from the movie with lazy writing
-the fact that they think such low effort is worth any kind of subscription service
-the fact that none of the original writer, producers, or actors are currently involved

gateworld.net/news/2009/05/stargate-recommended-viewing-order/
apparently gateworld is down right now probably due to all the increase of traffic lately.

/stargate/ stream when?

What if Origins is just a young Catherine Langford reading/being told some old stories about the stargate and the "gods"?

Is the SGU comic any good?
Was thinking of grabbing it with the new Stargate TV series soundtrack that came out not too long ago.

Well I doubt they've been this busy in the last 6 years.

From who?

Cytube has one. I think its a room called whiskey tango foxtrot.

How would they make an interesting 110 minute story out of that. They also said she saves the world from an evil force using the gate.
Also from MGM "Young Catherine embarks on an unexpected adventure to unlock the mystery of what lies beyond the Stargate in order to save Earth from unimaginable darkness."

Still not going to feature any gate travel and we already know the story of it being unearthed in Giza and shipped to America.
We as Stargate fans want to see gate travel, interaction with alien races and new things, not things we were told in previous shows.

I kind of wish the series hadn't been so focused on quantity of standalone plots. It was a shame that a lot of the planets were one off's or only mentioned a couple of more times. If the series hadn't nerfed Earth's power level so much and instead of Atlantis had a DS9/B5 branch off series more focused on diplomacy then there would still be a lot more plots to tell

Earth ascending to near-ancient tier technology and the Goa'uld falling in a decade kind of killed off stories in the Milky Way

Thank you kindly..a serious question with serious answers

Similar questions on trek threads usually don't turn out so well

was great until they delved away from the ancient egypt type stuff. that was literally the whole "thing" for me anyway.

should have stopped after about 3-4 seasons

Just to warn you there is the crossover episode “The Pegasus Project” (SG-1 Season Ten), which technically ought to be viewed after you pick up the resolution to Atlantis‘s second season cliffhanger with “No Man’s Land.” So if you watch all of SG-1 back to back you might want to skip that episode for latter, or just alternate seasons like order.
Have fun

so if they retcon

>there will be no Jaffas (T'ealc)
>no Samantha Carter
>the evil alien won't be a goauld, and like a parasite snake , but just some classic small gray, asgard like alien, as we saw in the last scene in the movie

Guessing their problem was they hated each other and couldn't set aside their differences to progress as one so when Jonas' country was trading with Earth they got pissy.

Also didn't help that the Tau'ri tricked them in Universe.

convince me as to why I should watch this because I have no idea what stargate is.

I was too autistic to relax when they did medieval-or early modern-derived civilizations. It just felt like they were shitting on everything and that the Goa'uld really waltzed back and forth onto Earth whenever

>Similar questions on trek threads usually don't turn out so well
indeed, asked for advice whats the best episode of DS9, to watch it and get a touch with it, but they told me some really shitty episode where the leaders were trapped in some intergalactic tablegame

All we know is that MGM has said this
"Young Catherine embarks on an unexpected adventure to unlock the mystery of what lies beyond the Stargate in order to save Earth from unimaginable darkness."
and that it will follow the TV cannon, so we can deduce that there will be no gate travel, or there will be some sort of gate travel making Catherine in SG1 a massive liar and putting earth in serious jeopardy

if you like comfy scifi that has the perfect blend of humor and seriousness, than there is no show that compares.
Here are some episodes condensed to 4 minutes, to test the water for you.
youtube.com/watch?v=_BDgn4ijw6Q
youtube.com/watch?v=cNh_yNhvXGM
youtube.com/watch?v=fcSSbJRORaQ

it's fun, but also stands to the whole premice as real as it can, how diplomacy would work with different alien cultures, how were it threated in Earth's political and civil life, has advancing characters, and environtment, weaponary, no forced agendas

No they can't because every episode will have to be somewhat self contained, otherwise there
would be no point in releasing them as separate episodes.

SG1 has very good world and character building to the point that even stuff that was brought up in seasons 1 and 2 are being used in later seasons. All the tech that they had in latter seasons you can point to an episode(s) where it was discovered or developed,You really get to feel like you are watching the growth of a space-faring civilization. So when they finally get to making advanced ships, you can look at them and see all the inspiration from previous ships, all the histories and backstories of all the different reactors, weapons, and even down to the metal the ships are made from.

is top image football factory?

jeez, I've heard some doozies too...Starting with ENT "chronologically", Starting with TNG movies like Generations(bridging the worlds)

This. I ignored Emancipation last time I watched through SG-1, it really does deserve all the hate it gets.

That one user from one of the previous threads who was says episodes like matter of time and heroes where somehow worse than emancipation, really got me going.

yes I almost thought that was trolling, imagine having taste that bad.

if you are in this thread user you should be ashamed of yourself!

>From who?
Some wise old Egyptian who's family has passed the stories on for generations? Or maby her father translates some hieroglyphs that tell a story.

>How would they make an interesting 110 minute story out of that.
10 stories that each run for about 10mins.

>They also said she saves the world from an evil force using the gate.
>Also from MGM "Young Catherine embarks on an unexpected adventure to unlock the mystery of what lies beyond the Stargate in order to save Earth from unimaginable darkness."

Who says that the "unimaginable darkness" will be something she has to face there and then? It could be just the Goa'uld. Maby adventure refers to her life and work getting the stargate up and running.

Also, remember that MGM said it would be set in the 20s. The Stargate was dug up in 1928 and Cathrine was only like 12 years old at that time.

>We as Stargate fans want to see gate travel, interaction with alien races and new things, not things we were told in previous shows.

I don't necessarily want to see gate travel. I want good stories set in this universe. If that involves going through the gate, then cool. If it doesn't involve going through the gate, then cool.
And just because we've been told something in a previous ep, doesn't mean it wouldn't be good to go back and see it happen/get more details on it.
Like the origins of the Jaffa. We've been told the Goa'uld first enslaved them on Dakara. But what's the full story? Who figured out how to turn humans into walking Goa'uld incubators? How'd they do it?

>it will follow the TV cannon
has this offical source, or is just some fan/jornalist idea?
The catchphrase "a new original series" on the official site can mean it is a new series which ignores the known ones.

>no gate travel
in a 100 minute stargate show/movie reboot? booooring

The line "lies beyond the Stargate" heavily implies either she goes through the gate or something comes through the gate. The only thing that would make sense canon wise and not make her a liar , or submit to memory loss would be if it involves Cameron Mitchell coming back to 1929 at the end of Continuum, and those two fighting Nazis or something and him telling her she has to keep it a secret, so the timeline doesn't get altered.

Gateworld is down but I have a cached copy I'm copying from.
“We’ve been eager to revisit theStargatefranchise and create an all-new story that honors the founding mythos and gives loyal fans more mystery and adventure,” MGM’s President of Digital & New Platforms Kevin Conroy said. “We viewStargate Originsas a thank you to fans who have been keeping the spirit of the franchise alive for nearly 25 years. With the increasing popularity of digitally native content that can be streamed to any device, MGM is committed to the production of premium linear mid-form content and are proud to launch withStargate Origins.”

What the fuck is Origins? I thought the movies were shelved after Independence day 2

new web series that's just been announced

It's a new web series on mgm's new paid streaming service. It's going to be about Catherine in the 1920s.

Man I miss Richard Dean Anderson
youtu.be/svsSPzU-8-M

>stargÅte

what? weird typo to make

SG-1 from season 1 to the end of 5 is GOAT campy comfy sci-fi kino. Everything else is optional.

>What the fuck is Origins?

Prequels = poop.

Why do they keep doing this with sci fi? Don't they understand the fucking genre is about forward thinking?

Kinsey was such a great antagonist

the first Stargate movie was not bad

the SG-1 series was awesome

i never watched the other Stargate shows (cant judge them)

Why do you think that Stargate Origins will be bad?

>Two writers who have 1 imdb writing credit between them
>A director whose experience is a couple of substandard webshorts
>About a character so irrelevant she died offscreen in SG1 instead of any of the main cast.
>Set in a time before we opened the Stargate
>using a video release format that no one uses anymore
>On a streaming platform that no one will pay for

Well shit, I got scared. But SG has been off the air for how much?
I think they're testing the waters here.

Also
Prequel = Retconns

I fucking hate those.

>using a video release format that no one uses anymore

will they release it on video cassette? xD

my guess is that it will involve Mitchel from the end of Continuum when he went back, and Catherine will save him somehow, and be the hero, and he'll have her promise to to mention any of this as to not alter the timeline.

Fuck you, nothing wrong with retro releases.

>tfw Earth telling them no, naquadriah bomb will be horrible for everybody
>they ignore Earth
>use bomb
>everybody is horrified
That was when I realised a bit of what it must be like to be the Ancients in SGA or Asgard. God fucking damnit people.

Can you name another TV series that is doing short webisodes on a weekly release?

>That was when I realised a bit of what it must be like to be the Ancients in SGA or Asgard.

I mean, this is the recurring Star Trek problem of the prime directive really.

>Prequel = Retconns

not necessary. I mean if they make SG1 canon they can make a story that doesnt retcon anything

i think Star Wars has one cartoon. Forces of Destiny

relax i was joking. I still own a recirder for video cassette

Col. O'Neill gives a pretty good speech, going to bat for Daniel. Strong writing.

>All right, let me be clear about something. I think this is the point Daniel was trying to make. A weapon of mass destruction can only be used for one thing. Now, you might think it will ensure peace and freedom, but I guarantee you it'll never have the effect you're hoping for until you use it, at least once. Now, just for the record, the reason we want that stuff is because we think it could be used to create defense shields. But you just go ahead, blow yourselves to hell with it.

Don't forget it almost caused their entire planet to exploded like Alderaan.

Anyone got SG1 Audio books they like to share?

>near-ancient tier technology
Near-Goa'uld, maybe, in production ability.

Near-Asgard in some awareness/understanding.

Nowhere near Ancient. That shit was so advanced it may as well have been magic.

Rush did nothing wrong.

Rush was the only good character, he understood the magnitude of where they were and what they could learn. Everyone else were just bitching about how they are not suppose to be there and trying to play power politics to get control of the ship.

sure he did, but that's part of why he was a great character.

That is a wonderful speech. Also on point.

Of course, it was muted somewhat by the Tau'ri willingness to employ absurd weapons and blow up suns. But on the bright side, at least they're using it against actual galactic supervillains rather than your average opposing planetary government, for which naquadriah bombs are already well beyond anything resembling a Geneva convention.

>and even when the Tau'ri refuse to help even though they're offering 21st/22nd century medicine to a 1930s society, Kelownans still want jet technology for military use instead

Everyone else did.

I miss Atlantis

I really liked his facts over feelings mentality, really resonates in current year.
Also checkem

>ywn play golf with Sheppard and Ronon then chill afterwards while drinking beers

;_;

>You blow up one sun and everyone expects you to walk on water.
Don't forget they had access two what was essentially a Halo array that could wipe out all life in the galaxy.

I thought just occurred to me the Dakar device be used on various forms of physical property and biological, which is how they use it to defeat the replicators and not affect other life-forms. Since the goold pass on their knowledge via genetics I wonder if they can use it to wipe them all out without killing the tokra because they would technically have different memories therefore different genetics.

Maybe, user, but that sounds like a really really specific use of the Dakara weapon. Replicators were one thing, they're pretty different from humanity and jaffa and goa'uld. Specifying individual genetic memory markers inside a particular species sounds like something only the Ancients would be likely to have awareness of.

It was more hypothetical anyways, it's not like they can never do it now because it's been destroyed by they ori.

Enjoy it until it got feminiz'd on the new show.

Your man-children shows are over for you.

This has nothing to do with women, we like women.
We just got a little problem with the people at MGM is all.

Jonas had such a stupid argument.

>Colonel, we desperately need the weapon we're developing. Without it, the Kelownan people could easily fall to our rival nations, who are developing their own powerful weapons as we speak. Now, we're willing to do whatever's necessary to ensure our freedom, and a lasting peace on this planet.

>the Ancients were right

>implying /ourgoold/ didn't take ancient-tier scans of the thing while he was working on it
>implying he doesn't have the schematics if not an entirely new one stashed away on some planet somewhere

The Goa'uld are parasites. They know the basic function of some Ancient tech they commandeered, but they don't know the inner workings. If they did, they'd have been able to create their own Stargates. To date, even the Tollan needed the Nox to help them, and the Tollan were more advanced than any Goa'uld before Anubis rolled in with his half-Ascended power and baller Ancient and later Asgard tech.

I don't know user, remember he had to have the help of Carter and all for help to get to work, and she forever rubs it in his face both figuratively and physically.

I thought the tollan had built their own gate, or am I remembering that episode wrong.

>He's tiny! Tell him to squeeze through the bars.
Ba'al was best snake.

They did build a gate, but they mention that they were only able to get to their new home "with the help of the Nox to devise a way to get them there" specifically, after leaving through a Stargate in their first appearance. Arguably they might have just gotten a ship to take them there, but the more obvious answer is that the Nox told them how to make a Stargate.

Ba'al:Why don't you do something? You're the Orici. You're supposedly possessed of significant powers. So snuff out the flame and get us on our way.

Adria:My abilities don't work that way.

Ba'al:Of course, how does that Earth saying go? "All flash, no photo?"

Carter:Actually, it's "All flash, no substance."

Ba'al:I prefer my version.

Adria:Would you care for a demonstration?

[Ba'al stares her down]

Adria:[haughtily] Taking your life would be a waste of my time.

Ba'al:Which I suppose would be put to better use complaining.

Carter:Oh, geez, why don't you two just get a room?

No arguments here.