So as much as I'm loving Steven Universe... (i'm on S03E11 ) I gotta say... this show has a lot of filler episodes...

So as much as I'm loving Steven Universe... (i'm on S03E11 ) I gotta say... this show has a lot of filler episodes. I mean first of all almost the entire season 1 lacked continuity until the end.. Most of the early episodes were one offs, and didn't have much bearing. But even later on, even where i'm at now, we get like 1 episode for every 3 that are just filler and not really all that relevant to the story... Some seem to have some minor impact on character relations between each other, but nothing really impactful at a higher level.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/i9Kv739Xlbc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Stop applying the word "filler" to episodic cartoons.

I don't even watch Steven Universe, but I want to fuck Peedee.

this show is gay

Look at this guy. Do you also hate how everyone missuses "waifu" too?
Because I do too.

I have 20 waifus

It's your laifu.

If Amethyst can take any shape she wants, why does she have a cleft lip?

How does a show that isn't an adaptation have filler? How?

It's Slice of Life, the early "filler" episodes are mostly about introducing tertiary characters like the Cool Kids or Ronaldo to help flesh out the world that Steven lives in so that when a giant alien hand comes to destroy them all there are actual stakes involved, having people to protect gives Steven a reason to fight.

My Own Pearl with Deedee Magno Hall!!!(watch all the video) youtu.be/i9Kv739Xlbc

I just started watching as well, and I get your point. That said, not every episode can be major. Just feel thankful that this isn't like Adventure Time where all major changes are almost instantly reverted after an episode or two.

Absolutely.

Burn all Townee episodes

Burn them all

If Amethyst can take any shape she wants, why doesn't she utilize the power more effectively in combat?
Or why doesn't she use her whip to trip people more often?
Why does she keep trying to out muscle people who are obviously stronger than her?

She already shapeshifts a lot in combat dude

when i realized this was the point of the first season it made me appreciate the townie episodes and overarching story that much more

its not the best thing in the world but damn is its execution nice

I unironically love the townie episodes. They can be pretty comfy tbqh

>I love this show, except for about 75% of the show

I also feel that nearly every filler manages to reveal some piece of lore or the mechanics of gem power.

For a good while it was an easy bet you'd learn something new or Steven would get a new power if it was a Connie episode.

The New Lars showed that Steven can full on possess regular people, not just his Watermelons.
Kiki's Pizza Delivery Service showed that Steven can actually control who's dreams he enters, and that continued use of that power can exhaust him.
Even Restaurant Wars showcased Steven's conflict resolution skills without resorting to using his Gem abilities.

I hope one day he goes full Tetsuo with his powers

Fuck Sadie and that one carrot top motherfucker. They bog down the show a lot more than they should.

I've said it before; there are too many weebs producing this show for our protagonist to not get a taste of darkness power at some point.

>If Amethyst can take any shape she wants, why does she have a cleft lip?
Back to the Moon clarified this, that when a gem shape shifts, they have to exert effort to maintain that form for very long. So far, it looks like just turning into something else for a couple of minutes has no real drawbacks, trying to hold a form not your default one for hours is not as simple. Also, I think it's just her lip shape, not a cleft.

>implying we don't already know that

But when gems are damaged and have to hibernate they can come back in different forms. They get to "choose". Why not just fix your damn birth defect?

he kinda did in the cat fingers episode.

They can choose, but certain deviations aren't sustainable

It seems like a Gem's basic ship is determined by the conditions in which it is grown. Hence why the exit hole matters.

But it wouldn't be a deviation. It would just be her new form.

Compare her in-show form to what she looked like during flash backs. She's clearly different. Pearl and Garnet change too, and those changes last.

#AbolishAmethystsDefects

Gems are still bound by the conservation of mass, or in this case light. While they can temporarily make themselves larger or smaller, it uses up stamina and energy. The end result of trying to overuse your energy is pic related, when Amethyst tried to hulk out her arm and leg for a full reform.

Listen, man. You can't call episodes of an American episodic cartoon "filler". It just doesn't work that way. Anime series do "filler" episodes for a reason - It's a necessity, in order to fill in a certain number of episodes, stick to their airing schedule, or wait for the manga to catch up. SU chooses to have lighthearted, self-contained episodes because that's just the way they want to do it. Did you also know that repeats of self-contained "filler" episodes get better ratings?

Besides that, it's an American cartoon, its "filler" episodes serve to present situations in which characters react in a way that further establishes their character and provides entertainment. It was never meant to be a series where every single episode is plot heavy. You're just impatient, and you're thinking of the show as if it's an anime series. You're looking in the wrong place.

IMO this show has a perfectly fine mix of both plot-important episodes and non-plot-important episodes.

But the gems all used to look different. We know their clothes are a part of them 'body' so to speak. They don't buy them somewhere.

So why do ALL the gems look different in flashbacks? These aren't temporary changes, these are likely the result of being damaged, hibernating, and looking different after they come back. They specifically say that the problems Amethyst has when she comes back from being damage are due to her not "taking her time", where as Pearl does.

If they can choose to come back and look different, why is she so attached to that ugly cleft lip? Is it a rebellious thing? Is she trying to look like she doesn't care? Is it to stand out?

It looks terrible.

Yeah, but unless I'm missing a good Amethyst episode, it's usually just into a bulkier version of herself. Or transportation rarely. Why not shift into an octopus shape to constrain people, or something small to evade attacks?

Say whatever you want about her lip, but don't call it a cleft. I looked that up and those are some horrible ass images. Amethyst lip is nothing that horrifying. Plus it's wildly inconsistent in having the shape in your pic.

I'll be completely honest, I didn't read the whole convo, I thought by birth defect you meant the fact that she's small, so yeah, I withdraw my comment.

I think the creators literally said that that epsiode they changed them so they could show kids that it happened in the past. Because otherwise it doesn't make sense since they don't age.

Otherwise the only permanent changes character forms in the show have been nothing but cosmetic clothes changes. I don't think they can change their bodies permanently. Also it's not a cleft lip.

Their basic shape remains the same, height and weight

The only real differences in a new sustainable form are hair and outfit

They only look smaller because they're standing next to Rose who was huge

They look younger because their hair, clothes and mannerisms matured when they lost Rose

The fun filler episodes are the best episodes though.

It's not an anime. There is no filler.

>le filler meme

Go back to anime

>an octopus shape
>to constrain people

riiiight user, riiight

I resent this. That western definition of "filler" (episode that doesn't further the plot) is useful. Maybe it's only applicable for these weird in between shows that have a hefty amount of plot but aren't some focused 26 episode anime.

The filler in SU is annoying and it'd help if there was less of it. We can only get so much out of Sailor Steven helping some townie. People say those eps are the main purpose of the show but I think they're stupid.