Hacksaw Ridge

God
Damn

i expected a lot, i was looking forward to see the movie since months, but it was a lot better than i anticipated. i literally had goosebumps at the end and even cried a little. How the fuck is Mel Gibson so good?

are there any movies alike? how did you like it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xRTDIAP5IYI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It was pretty shit. Boring loverboy backstory with teary fuckboi as leading man. Editing was especially shit. Felt like another boring war-film with no real substance. A docu on the real thing would be 10 times more interesting

I can't believe people are memeing this as a good film. It's just bad. Literally can't think of a single good thing in the flick. You only like it because you like the politics behind it, that's pretty sad tbqhdesu

>You only like it because you like the politics behind it
which politics behind it are you talking about?

top kek

I love how hard this movie was shilled here when it first came out but then after the torrent dropped and the slapstick webms were posted almost everyone forgot about it.

This was cringey as fuck

Did Captain America go too far?

idk dude i really, really enjoyed it.

It's a great movie. The fighting wasn't supposed to be photo realistic it was supposed to be visceral and shocking to crowds jaded by movie violence. The only way to make an audience that's already seen SPR and BoB and Lone Survivor etc. feel 1/10 the horror that Doss felt was to make it over the top.

It's also a testament to how degenerate we've become as a society that milquetoast Christian themes in a movie about a man who's only notable because of his beliefs can trigger people and cause them to whine about "the politics behind" the movie.

The cheesy first half contrasts really well with the savage second half. If the film began that bleak, then the audience would become anesthetized to it and the impact of the violence would lessen. It's expertly-made pop cinema. Way better than Dunkirk.

Wrong

You mean the anti-gun, anti-war, pacifist politics of the movie?

it was really overrated

I don't really get how he did it? So what? God literally gave him the strength to do that? Was that the message? If so, then it was just bullshit. He probably lied.

>He probably lied.
He wasn't the one who told people the story, his squad-mates did.

(You)

this was just ridiculous

No it wasn't. Not the context of the movie.

They all lied. The story is ridiculous. By himself, drags over 70 guys during a battle through the night just because of "god". No.

and what context was that exactly?

The politics behind the movie is about Mel Gibson, not about the actual content of the movie itself.

OP here, looking at some of the fighting scenes afterwards, yeah sure its not completely realistic. But if i would let my autism destroy even the smallest movie pleasures for me, then hell, i couldnt watch anything.
Im glad a lot of people also enjoyed it, the ending was just amazing in my opinion, and im really glad to have seen it finally. im also looking forward to dunkirk a lot.

Christianity, patriotism and antisemitism. Don't get me wrong, I like those things too. But that doesn't stop me from seeing that this "film" is but a flick.

Well the guys he apparently saved all say the same thing, and their injuries prove that they were saved. So either they all lied for no reason and there's a massive conspiracy to attribute the works of many medics to just one, or it's the truth.

>just because of "god"
Not because of God, because of belief. It's a movie about faith itself, not Christianity in particular.

I think it was garbage. Garfield looks like faggot and didd't convince me otherwise playing that religious goofball. I know it's a true story, almost, but the guy just got very lucky. That's it.

I skipped the end of it because it was just so fucking redundant.

Wish I had looked up the story beforehand, if I had known it was some bullshit christianity I would've passed it.

Not even going to watch it after seeing this stupidity.

True and honest Christian kino ranking approved by God
Young kino > Silence >>>> HACK saw ridge

Juxtaposing extreme gore and chaos with a Hallmark-movie narrative set up. That scene in particular is so chaotic that you accept that he would do that within the logic of the movie.

protestant epic The Tree of Life >>>>>>>>>>>>>> every Catholic middlebrow movie of the past decade

I gotta say "The last samurai" is doing the same for me. Goosebumps after the rain scene.

theresa palmer is a 12/10 in this movie

WRONG

youtube.com/watch?v=xRTDIAP5IYI

>tfw you will never soar on wings like eagles

Hacksaw Ridge is not good.
It aspires to capture the terror of war, and then proceeds to the Call of Duty-esque scene where he's dragging Vince Vaughn on his jacket while he's shooting Germans like it's nothing.

It completely butchered the classic bootcamp in war movies; I had zero connection to his squadmembers when they were sent off.

The movie forgets the pay-off, which is when the soldier gets to return home.
This is an essential part of war movies because we get to experience how the character has evolved, as well as the emotional aspect of seeing family and loved ones after visiting hell.

We also had the bootcamp rivalry, but we get dragged out to the ye olde "I was wrong about you" bullshit.

Go see Dunkirk instead.

Hacksaw Ridge or Dunkirk?

>dated woman once
>I'm going to war
>marry me
>she does

This made me so angry.

girls cant resist the BAC (big Adventist cock)

>Germans

>85452318
>shooting germans
dont reply to this bait

>Hacksaw Ridge is crap for not including the war tropes that Dunkirk also didn't include, so watch that movie instead
huh

I never said Dunkirk had the tropes
Dunkirk is a better movie, and a big part of that is because it chooses to ignore the classic war-movie tropes.

Learn to read, you illiterate bastard

>ywn experience growing up in the 1940s

fuck, honest mistake

>Chads are all off at war
>men dying left and right
>world on fire
Women needed to settle down earlier in circumstances like that

You are chastising Hacksaw Ridge for not including the big return home trope.

You are one annoying person

Hacksaw Ridge should have that trope because the movie builds up to it, and then completely cucks you by cutting to an interview

Dunkirk, unlike Hacksaw Ridge, substantially shows you the terror of war, and THEN shows them getting home.

There is no real character development in Hacksaw Ridge, and a big part of that is that last, missing trope

You know, comparing movies up to another is stupid, because they have their own strengths and weaknesses.
Hacksaw Ridge isn't bad because Dunkirk did things different
Hacksaw Ridge is bad because of its own buildup

The entire first half of Hacksaw Ridge consisted of character development. Dunkirk had none. That's fine; they're two different films with different objectives, but I can't see how a film that goes into strenuous detail about its lead's motivations can be said to lack character development.

>Dunkirk, unlike Hacksaw Ridge, substantially shows you the terror of war, and THEN shows them getting home.
The entire story of Dunkirk and the impetus of Operation Dynamo was getting those soldiers home. The payoff of that particular story is the return. The narrative payoff of Hacksaw Ridge would be the taking of Hacksaw Ridge.

Do you disagree Hacksaw Ridge didn't lead you to believe they'd show you him returning home to his family and wife?

There's so much focus on his life back home, the first shot is of him and his brother.
Wouldn't you say this implies a narrative payoff that he is reunited with him?

In Dunkirk, that pre-war setting is not present amongst the soldiers, yet, their return is shown.

cont

By your logic, why even bother showing anything after Frodo drops the ring in Mordor?

not him, but it was obvious (if youre not a complete buffon) that the last scene with the interview and original pictures etc, would not have had half the impact, if weakened before by showing the actors meeting each other again, being happy etc..
you have to be one hell of a retard not to see this. they didnt just not show some returning to home trope, they purposefully didnt do it so the last scene (interviews with original recordings) has more of an impact on the viewer.

what if i told you this was once the norm

The interview to me felt cheap and didn't belong in the movie according to the buildup

I plainly disagree, I guess

>it was shit on purpose

The focus on him back home was done in order to reveal the main character's motivations. It wasn't the narrative hook in and of itself; Doss saving hose 75 people was what you came to see. The purpose of the first hour of the film was to articulate why he would choose to save 75 people in the first place.

>By your logic, why even bother showing anything after Frodo drops the ring in Mordor?
The point of Lord of the Rings was to destroy the one ring. The point of Hacksaw Ridge wasn't to return home, but to show Doss saving the people he saved.

So if the point of LOTR was to destroy the ring, why did they show anything after?
Please just answer this

You do realize that the biggest criticism of the trilogy was the fact that the Return of the King had like 5 endings, right? A lot of people lost interest after the ring was destroyed.

That part was awesome, though

That's besides the point, and you're intentionally sidestepping

The payoff isn't that Frodo literally drops the ring in the volcano, it's that he gets to go home to a peaceful world

Sure, Hacksaw Ridge is secured, but what the fuck does that do, plotwise?
We get paraded through how good of a character he is, how much he loves his family and wife and have to sit through a painfully long conviction scene, and for what?
The Ridge is secured, people are saved, but the aftermath is so underwhelmingly presented, I can't imagine people praising it

I'm not side-stepping the issue, i'm explaining that choosing to focus too much on resolution when the objective of the plot is completed is a flaw. And like that other poster said, another narrative payoff would be redundant prior to the documentary footage at the end.

did people un-ironically like this cliche of a war film? i want to like mel because the jews blacklisted him but shit this movie was like seeing those mockbuster disney cartoons.

it wasnt even that good. everything is too much on the nose if that makes sense.

But the MC never went out to war to secure Hacksaw Ridge, he went out to save lives in order to prevent other people ending up like his father

They jumped the shark on that ending, I'd never use the documentary in the first place, it simply doesn't fit in, even if the main character is supposed to be real
It ruins any tie we had to his family, and any resolution we could have experienced

i couldnt really stand this bullshit movie. flag waving overrated trash

This was a lot worse than I had anticipated.

Keep in mind that these are the same Sup Forums poster who enjoyed Dunkirk and dislike The Thin Red Line. Very little taste to be found here.

Hacksaw Ridge was better, because it had a story and you cared about the protagonist. Dunkirk was more of a spectacle, it lacked a story.

wew, laddie

you have to go back

The objective, the story's raison d'etre, were the feats he did on Hacksaw Ridge. I don't get the appeal of a victory tour, especially by the end of the film when the audience is as emotionally drained as it would be if the film's doing its job. The movie can't go back to the comparative innocence of its first half after that much gore and viscera.

i thought it was overrated

i kinda have to agree
this as well

Regardless of Garfield and the bulk movie Hugo Weaving was incredible and deserves the oscar or something.

>I don't get the appeal of a satisfying ending

>The movie can't go back to the comparative innocence of its first half after that much gore and viscera.

Why not we do it in real life with real wars all the time, and especially with WW2.

Agreed, sophomor-onic jumpscares do not belong

>I can read minds

Yes Op it's a good movie, ignore these heathens and Athiests,

Let people believe in God and have faith. In the end, the movie showed it was that guy's faith who saved everyone, not God.

Christkino.

The gritty and cruel reality of war just made me detest war even further, and that's at least something the movie did right instead of glamorizing and fetishizing war. It would be nice to have a film where both sides are equally bad and cruel to each other, and where there really is no clear hero or villain, just fucked up people hurting for no clear reason

>that scene when they're all waiting for him to finish his prayer

ĸ ı ɴ o

the movie lost me when the actions scenes started

so cheesy and over the top looked like it belonged in the 80s, or those weird Veorheven movies

couldn't get into the movie after that

/k/ here. The combat scenes were actually pretty realistic. The disparity in body count between the Japanese and American troops was staggering. I wouldn't be remotely surprised if over the course of the battle someone didn't try to advance with a trick like that. Many veterans of Okinawa watched mothers throw their infant children off of cliffs. The concept of someone using a human torso as a shield would be par for the course in that hell on Earth.

It was really fucking stupid and mediocre, the thin red line is a billion times better

shut up reddit marvelcuck pajeet

watch thin red line then

>whiles he's shooting Germans
>Germans

???

>I know it's a true story, almost, but the guy just got very lucky. That's it.

don't reply to the tripfag, he is literally a schizophrenic debating over nothing he really beliefs in, just to see how far he can go

>war is literally hell
Holy shit I had no idea based Mel based Bible bro based based based KINO atheist BTFO praise kek

It's pretty good but I have a feeling Sup Forums would have forgotten or more likely never watched it if hadn't been directed by Meme Gibson.

>he did not enjoy hacksaw ridge

>>>wizardchan

I felt just like you OP. Great kino.

Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.
29 He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.
30 Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
31 but those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

>rope burns on his hands create a stigmata
>"cures" a blind solider
>almost gets stabbed in the ribs by a Japanese solider
yo Mel chill with the Jesus symbolism

It was horrible.. are you fucking crazy?

Sorry, faggot. Almost 2 decades later, and still nothing has topped Ryan.

>comparing ryan simbolism to mel gibson christianity

you have to go back now