/doag/ Fresh off the Floor Becky Post

Still the patreon strip for the next 30 mins!

Becky is parroting what she thinks "sadness" is to quell the rumor that she is a demon

Praise Patreanon

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1SNqEtHsg_a2zm0ryB0rG8CzTLEVitftj4kQZ_Kg-Hsg/edit?pref=2&pli=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I got two strips for you guys.
first this one, the "end" of chapter 5.

except for those last two panels, this isn't horrible.

And this was the strip that I wanted to include between that drama, but saved it for the end, I guess it's an epilouge of sorts. or something you would see in the after credits of a show.

It's not horrible, but it's not great.
Especially since we haven't really been given a reason to care about Becky other than "I'm homeless, but I don't care!" and "The girl I love didn't love me back! Cry for me!" and "My mom attempted suicide, and I never once directly implied this at any point between now and when I first appeared!"

Or something like that. This comes off as Willis force-feeding the reader a reason to care about Becky.

Ol' Puddinhead is back! She's the new RA for now.

>when Mary wants to study, we have to have an arc about how she's the devil
>when lesbians want to study, it's business as usual

Hmm

Who the fuck is blue-haired teenage female David Willis?

Wow, nothing.

That's Mandy. She's dating Grace and dyes her hair a lot.

WHO THE FUCK IS MANDY?! WHY ARE THEY ALL LESBIANS?!?!

Who the hell is Grace?

And are there more named females in DoA than males? If so, that's an especially new development to me.

The main character is female and as such lives in the woman's wing of the dorm.

I'm just gonna call her Willa David.

Sure, but what I mean is that including minor characters who barely rate an appearance, such as Grace or Mandy, I think there are more female characters with names than male.

I feel like after six years of this comic there would be a more even number. Or does Willis care so little about fleshing out his universe and setting that the boy's dorm only contains Walky, Ethan, Danny, Mike, Diglett, and Joe?

The first word-balloon should be coming from off-panel if it's supposed to be her teacher-right now it looks like her hat is talking to her.

Grace is the blonde one without any pants.

>I don't WANT to end up gay like everyone else in college!

I can't blame her for thinking that way. It's almost as if they figured out who all the lesbians and introverts and general societal outcasts were on a campus of several thousand students, singled them all out, and then put them in a single dormitory wing.

Fug, I messed up, thanks for catching that, it's pretty late.

>Random college administrator flipping through files
>"man, these are some fucked up people. But the office has been really boring lately...hmmmm"

What if her hat is talking to her? Maybe it tells her to hate.

In all seriousness, have her externalize negative feelings on the hat. It can be indicative of her adherence to social norms through a neurotic mechanism. Without the hat she's emotionally repressed and engages in polite behavior that seems more like mimicry and affectation than genuine social interactions.

I think that complaining about minor characters who have at most a handful of lines per year is kind of nitpicky. While it is an ensemble piece, it's primary focus is still centered around Joyce.

It's like a Vault experiment or something: How long does it take to take a introvert or just awkward lesbian, and how. Is it like a werewolf bite and they turn during phases of the moon?

>I think that complaining about minor characters who have at most a handful of lines per year is kind of nitpicky. While it is an ensemble piece, it's primary focus is still centered around Joyce.
I'm aware it's nitpicky. I'm just suggesting that it's still worth nitpicking.

Like I said, it shows a weakness in Willis' world-building that there are more people with names and faces in one area of the wing than in other parts of the dorm. We're one month into the school year; everybody should have met everybody by now. We focus on the main ensemble, but it doesn't mean the others don't exist.

Sure, the primary focus is on Joyce, but that doesn't mean she'll never meet the other people in her dorm. When I lived in a dorm my freshman year, I was in a boy's wing and I still knew all the girls on the floor by name.

TL;DR: It's weak world-building in my opinion.

It is slightly something; we know now that Ruth's job is being taken over by a character we know basically nothing about!

>two lesbians standing out in the hallway
>one wearing just a man's shirt
>the other in a towel

I now choose to believe that they secretly have cameras in the hallways and just watch the drama with a bucket of popcorn in hand.

Didn't your college do that?

while we're (rightfully) griping about the abnormal imbalance of gender, i'd like to know why the only class anyone is in is gender studies (complete with lesbian teacher) and a math class led by a TA (who's only function to the story is to fuck Sal for better grades)

>Predictive models were all wrong. Experiment continued to collect further data for refining next year's experiment. Partial list of deviations as followed:

>Subject 42-A "Billie" - Subject was predicted to have a steadily increasing suicide attempt rate peaking at 43% by week 9. If subject survived, likelihood of dropping out before the next semester stood at 87%.

>Subject 22-P "Ruth" - Chance of public violent outburst peaking during finals week. Alcoholism steadily worsening to the point of non-functioning positively correlated to likelihood of violence.

>Subject 38-Y "Carla" - Models showed a not insignificant chance of being forcibly outed as transgender by Subject 41-T "Mary."

>Subject 49-J "Joyce" - 94% chance of emotionally traumatic event causing reassessment of personal ethics. Subsequent identity crisis combined with idolizing behavior pointed to high likelihood of homosexual encounter with Subject 40-D "Sal."

>For full list of deviations from predictive models please see Addendum B at the end of this document. While not the sole source of the divergence from expectations, the primary break seems to have occurred due to the addition of previously unexpected addition the experiment population, henceforward referred to as the MacIntyre Confound.

>Just a towel in a dorm

Girls just asking for a massive viral infection.

So where did all these scantly clad lesbians suddenly generate from?

Intro Gender Studies classes are usually pretty large due to meeting a humanities requirement. The math class being taught by a TA is weird though unless it's supposed to be a "lab" type deal where the actual course is taught by a professor and the students meet with a TA once a week for a more interactive review of the material.

Also, the truth about Ruth.

>In all seriousness, have her externalize negative feelings on the hat. It can be indicative of her adherence to social norms through a neurotic mechanism. Without the hat she's emotionally repressed and engages in polite behavior that seems more like mimicry and affectation than genuine social interactions.

I like this idea.
Though, of course it's main expression will be it's Voltorb eyes.

Even though I didn't want it to be alive in this series, I guess it could be possible, I mean, it is a time line so Ambiguous that the past present and future are the same.

it speaks to willis' collegiate ignorance. the gender studies is in a classroom that somehow only involves the main cast, but the math course is taught in a lecture hall by an upperclassman. but it bothers me that the only teacher is Leslie. you'd think at least -one- other teacher would have been introduced

I mean that she's using that hat to signify maladaptive code switching.

>Subsequent identity crisis combined with idolizing behavior pointed to high likelihood of homosexual encounter with Subject 40-D "Sal."

Isn't Sal nominally straight?

Ah yes, that works too.

>Subject 40-D "Sal" - Social isolation due to personality issues and changes in peer groups leading to 44% chance of developing atypical depressive symptoms. Loss of self-esteem due to failed romantic attempts points to positive reciprocation, with low chance of instigation, towards a homosexual encounter with Subject 49-J "Joyce." Outcome of interactions with Subject 40-W "Amber" inconclusive due to high variability.

I think the math class is mostly taught by the actual professor, but the TA takes over at times so he can get practice teaching.

weve seen plenty of guys around the campus and a lot of them have names, but because the focus is on joyce the people who live with her show up more. theres really no avoiding that

Is it just me, or is Willis using homosexuality as a substitute for any sort of actual characterization?

And why are the bisexuals only into the same gender?

the TA i think just grades papers and collects notes. the professor actually teaches, but we dont see it because math provides nothing to the story, while gender discussions or whatever generally do

>is Willis using homosexuality as a substitute for any sort of actual characterization?
for the most part, yeah. there are some characters that manage to have more to them than their sexuality, but theres a few that are literally nothing more than gay jokes.

>why are the bisexuals only into the same gender?
because willis is a hack

Shit, Mary's master plan to study without some bullshit happening to anyone worked. Bless her

Oh yeah, can someone post the strips that willis originally had planned but decided not to use? I got an user on the edits tumblr asking about them.

She is college's dark knight.

>Fully equipped trans girl
>FULLY EQUIPPED TRANS GIRL

THIS FUCKING HATE BONER JUST GOT 10 FEET TALLER BOIOS, IT JUST KEEPS GROWING AND GROWING

>I narrowly avoided decent comics
Great job, Willis! Pat yourself on the hack!

Yeah, that one, thanks.

People always say you're your own worst enemy. That's especially true for Willis.

Cue strip showing Mary fuming because interfering pudding head lady ruined her plan to make everyone miserable for no reason

Unless Carla starts skating in the hallway again. Carla's parents are rich and powerful, so nothing can be done about it.

Cis-male sexual fantasies.

Not that guy, but my college put a deranged hobo in charge and everyone had to do what he said.

>And why are the bisexuals only into the same gender?
I think Mike is the only real bisexual, though he married a human woman in the last universe.

Oh god.

That child's face in the last panel. I forgot how awful he is at drawing children.

It reminds me of baby sour cream actually.

Again, that's poor world-building. By this point we should be privy to more classes, even if we don't actually spend time IN those classes. Hell, do we even know the characters' actual schedules?

My thoughts exactly.

It's like how we managed to flesh out a stand-in cartoon better than Willis by making it an entire anime/cartoon franchise.

Ah, but the TA didn't give Sal high grades, even though the whole point of her fucking him was to get good grades. Turns out she's been studying extra hard, so she gets good grades on her own merit AND gets a good dicking!

The way Willis bends the plot to make Sal seem like the good guy is astonishing as times.
I believe another teacher showed up during the tail-end of the Toedad Saga, just to tell Dorothy(?) there were no classes on account fo the crazed gunman... and he was kind of an asshole about it, because this is Willis we're talking about.
I miss when Robin wasn't a bitch. And when Amber was allowed to get over her traumas. And when Mike was well-written.

Me too...

In a shocking turn of events, Puddinghead's investigation into Carla's antics will reveal that Mary is secretly the Rutten's biological child who was stolen by a disgruntled servant as an infant.

All hail Queen Mary the Lion Heart.

It's a Mark Twain reference, Pudd'nhead Wilson.

I would definitely read that. I also want Puddinghead to be there the next time Carla is a nuisance for no reason.

As someone who doesn't read the comic regularly and just sees these threads over-analyzing said strip, I have a question:

How many cast members of this are lesbians? Seems like almost all of them.

dorothy and joyce are straight.

black girl is unknown thus far, but has the hots for a black guy

Mary is unknown, assumed straight.

pretty much every other female character falls under the LGBT spectrum in some form.

oh, and sal is unknown, though watch willis make her asexual.

Out of the main cast, Becky is the only exclusive lesbian. Everyone else is bisexual. Adding in minor and supporting characters gets you an additional three lesbians.

She initiated sex with Jason, she's not asexual. I'm pretty sure Sal is hetero and so is Sarah.

Sal fucked the assistant teacher twice, though it went nowhere for now.

well, Sal did bang Wimpy British Man for a good grade.

Sal has to be hetero, she's got a goddamn extra orifice in her hand ffs, she'd be wasted on women!

Here's my list of sexualities:

Straight:
Mary
Joyce's would-be rapist (Ryan)
At least one of the Rachels (there are two)
Sierra
Agatha
Dorothy
Walky
Joyce
Amber/Amazi-Girl
Sarah
Sal
Jocelyne/Josh
Roz
Joe
Jacob

Bi:
Robin
Ruth
Marcie
Billie
Danny
Mike

Gay:
Leslie
Grace
Mandy
Newspaper editor-in-chief (Daisy)
Becky

Asexual:
Dina?
Carla

Trans girl:
Josh/Jocelyne (straight ((likes guys)))
Carla

Wilst I loathe the preponderance of these absurd "___sexual" labels, I'm pretty sure being asexual means you're not interested in romance.

Asexuality kind of encompasses a little more than that.

It basically means that a person doesn't get sexually attracted to people, or if they do, it's very rare.

Some asexuals like romance but don't want sex.

So Dina, for example, can be asexual and enjoy being in a relationship as long as she doesn't feel unnecessarily pressured into sex.

Everything in this strip is Becky talking about herself like this is all about her.

asexual means you're not interested in sex
aromantic means you're not interested in romance

its not that hard to understand

This seems pretty accu-
>A gay list without Ethan
DELETE THIS!

Oh crap. Go me. Thanks for pointing it out!

Added to the list. docs.google.com/document/d/1SNqEtHsg_a2zm0ryB0rG8CzTLEVitftj4kQZ_Kg-Hsg/edit?pref=2&pli=1

Anyone know the names of the random people in that one Slipshine because Willis felt pressured to do a gay story?

>((likes guys)))
Is he also Jewish?

She's the kind of type that would bang anyone for anything so I'd say she's bi at the most.

>She's the kind of type that would bang anyone for anything
False.

Just found this gem on Willis's Tumblr:

"When jerks write in to complain about your characters does it make you do anything other than want to double down on how much that character is in the comic?"
-jamesjmcghie

Willis's response:
"note the amount of becky"

Oh, okay.
To be honest, I think I'm too old to bother keeping all of this shit in my memory.

What a hero.

so this is our faults

Willis being a shit person whose childish response to entirely valid criticism is to just do more of what people were criticising is no-one's fault but his own. Honestly the guy's just a slightly more talented Dobson with more publicity and money-making skills.

Yeah. And you'd think reader feedback would be an important part of keeping your readership.

This the closest Amber's coming to having a Good End, because Willis basically has two story arcs for Amber that he knows how to write.

Let's face it she'll be perpetually Downstairs and effectively out of existence until its time to resolve some other plot that Willis has driven into a corner.

Eh, it's more about knowing his target audience and engineer everything to cater to their issues, quirks and angst. And of course, spinning any critics or fans that don't fit in perfectly as The Enemy.

>I believe another teacher showed up during the tail-end of the Toedad Saga, just to tell Dorothy(?) there were no classes on account fo the crazed gunman... and he was kind of an asshole about it, because this is Willis we're talking about.
That was a Patreon strip for some reason.

>I miss when Robin wasn't a bitch.
I literally never liked Robin. She's basically pre-alpha Becky, but she would do shitty things on top of being annoying. Amber blowing her the fuck out was one of my favourite moments.

So are Joyce's parents going to get divorced considering her mom is a rampant christfag and her dad is actually a reasonable human being?

They'll stay together for the grandkids.

They will get divorced because that's what happened to Willis' parents. Also, he broke off contact with his mom but still interacts with his dad.

Sal’s definitely straight.

I think they'll stay together, but the mom will start sleeping in a chair and never sleep in the same bed with the guy and they'll never show any displays of affection towards each other ever again.

>Itsjustlikemylife.jpg