Should Sup Forums take this advice?

Should Sup Forums take this advice?

Other urls found in this thread:

gamerheadlines.com/2014/12/ea-replied-fan-petition-remove-anita-sarkeesian-mirrors-edge-2-game-development/#
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

literally who?

Is this more TTG faggotry?

Who the fuck has a tumblr that they'd trace back to their professional life? Is this from Twatter? Again why would you ever let drunken twatter rants be traceable back to your professional life? Or facebook? Why would you even have a facebook really?

She should send this letter to sarkesian

This DESU.

Wait, is she complaining about people sending letters about what they think are the best ships and waifus?

Holy shit what the fuck even goes on in their mail

What a stupid thing to say.
You're not allowed to criticize something unless you can do better? That's complete horseshit.

I saw someone crying on twitter the other day that someone @ed Adam Hughes saying they thought B&V sucked. These people are adults, they don't need you to defend them.

What? No. Fuck no. I already have my own ideas on what to do with my life, why the fuck would I throw those away on a 15 year dream of appealing to gormless puppets controlled by some media conglomerate? That's idiotic.

She is one of the new directors for the DuckTales reboot and has been complaining a lot on Twitter lately about how the fans complaints are shit and they should just accept the show when released and not be critical of how it turns out.

Otherwise, she's a great artist. I follow her on Tumblr. She was a storyboard artist for Gravity Falls. She's dating Alex Hirsch so I can only assume his personality has rubbed off on her because her belt has seem to get too tight for her since she got promoted to Director status despite her achieving that job in a very short amount of time for an artist.

I have no idea what it is about Twitter, but it seems to bring out the worst in people. She even tried to bypass the char limit with an image and it still makes her sound bratty.

>mfw everyone in this thread is an angry baby

If you don't like TTG user, why don't you just become a creator yourself? It's as easy as 1, 2, 3!

>You're not allowed to criticize something unless you can do better?
Are you unable to read? That's now what that's saying at all.

No we shouldnt.
Its just a mechanism that doesnt help with the problem.
And it avoids discussion and exchanges of ideas/opinions.
The main problem is that some cant describe their opinions properly, oppress their opinions on others or insult others.

See music fans, sport or all -isms.
So her advice is just an advice thats good for her but doesnt help the people to get better, it even prevent it.

didn't sarkesian do a game on her own but it failed miserably?

I'll be honest with you, the absolute worst that can happen is that you get better at writing but not rich.

But she's a bitch for trying to stop

Still these angry babies formulate better than you.
Makes you think what you are, desu. XD

Of course not, Dana. Go back to sleep.

I thought she advised a studio which went bankrupt because of her ideas and that she didnt helped it advertise or abondoned the game vry quick.

>I'll be honest with you, the absolute worst that can happen is that you get better at writing
No one gets good at writing by just writing and getting no criticism. You would have no idea on what to improve. There's a difference between criticism and "Why didn't you include my waifu?" of course, but a lot of artists in the industry seem to think that any comment on their work is an attack. Majority of them come across as actually very whiny even when presented with any criticism at all.

>If you don't like something try to make something better! Be productive, don't be an asshole.

Bleedman is living proof making elaborate fan fics with years-long storyline is no better than sitting on your ass all day doing nothing. At the end of the day, he's just as shitty a writer as someone who hasn't even touched a pencil.

right, that is completely different than what you said before

It's not. She's saying you're an asshole if you don't like something and should instead try to make something better.
It's snarky as fuck.

Looks like you're the one who can't read.

Artists should be prepped by HR departments on how to present yourself on social media, especially when talking to fandoms. It seems like most of them come across as complete privileged assholes who don't know how to filter fan comments, take the shit they say personally, and spend just as much energy responding to them as the fans do writing lengthy complaints about shows they don't like.

first off, at no point did she said you have to be "better" than ANYTHING
you could be worse and still do your own thing

secondly, being a critic is not the same as being an asshole.

>secondly, being a critic is not the same as being an asshole.
and fans are not the same group of people as random assholes who want to complain, yet they get addressed all the same.

anyone who wastes time complaining about assholes is setting themselves up to be frustrated. they're just as dumb as the people who want TTG to be original TT. shouldn't these people be working or something? how do so many find the time to give lectures on twitter.

Except the parts where she said:
>I'd write my own versions and try to make it better
>If you don't like something try to make something better!
You can not read.

>secondly, being a critic is not the same as being an asshole

No shit, that's exactly what I've been saying.
You seriously can't fucking read.

Did you mention the part where I said 'she's a faggot for trying to-'

Oh fuck I actually didn't finish that sentence.

I was going to say, she has merit for saying 'you should try to make better things', but she's a faggot for trying to stop criticism.

hey, i am not saying i agree with her or anything, all i said was that
>If you don't like something try to make something better! Be productive, don't be an asshole.
is not the same as
>You're not allowed to criticize something unless you can do better?

So when are you graduating from high school?
The unit on context clues will blow your mind.

"If you don't like something, make something you want to see" is entirely different from "you can't criticize if you can't do better".
At a point, you're just looking for something to bitch about rather than "standing up for your right to complain".

The inflection is there

At least he's trying.

>be productive, don't be asshole
Can be taken to mean that negatively criticizing a work is an asshole thing to do. Which it isn't necessarily.
And telling someone to do better can come off in a way that sounds like "don't criticize unless you can do better".
If she spoke it it maybe wouldn't come off that way, but it's hard to tell tone from that short of a paragraph. It comes off in that way.

There are much better ways to phrase her train of thought.
>If you don't like a show for being something it's not trying to be, criticizing it is a losing battle. You should criticize things for what they are or what they lack, not what they aren't and what they should be.
>You should also be careful with how you spend your time with critiquing work. If you spend more time doing that than making your own story, you'll find yourself getting angrier and angrier at the industry because it isn't satisfying your needs. Learn from critiquing, help it hone your self-editing skills, but still focus on creating your own works to help channel that creative side some of you are burying deep inside.
>It doesn't need to be immensely popular, it just needs to be made. It's a much better feeling to have something you can control rather than always complaining about things out of your control.

That is what she is trying to say, but she words it so poorly by throwing in "Dear angry babies,", "Don't be an asshole", "No one owes you anything" that it's hard to truly get the message because you want to punch her in the face for being so snarky.

When people are unable to hear one's tone and inflection because it's only text, people are going to put in their own and if you add insults and vulgar words, it's going to come across as insulting. That's kind of why a lot of science research papers tend to be dry as fuck, they can't have people reading them wrong in fear of the reader passing over their theory or study completely in favor of honing in on what they perceive to be the author's attitude.

Considering Dana doesn't seem to understand this concept makes me severely doubt her writing skills she is slightly boasting about.

I find it hilarious that people try to defend themselves with "You can't criticize if you can't do better"
That's the whole god damn point of criticism. To Critique.

I adopted this position in 2012 when I started writing my Transformers fanfic, and four years later Combiner Wars, Prime, and RID 2015 are getting BTFO hard.

Should Sup Forums (and Sup Forums in general) ban people posting social media shit as thread OPs?

I came up with SU like 4 years before it came out. And SU is shit, CN should pick me up

Only if they ban people who don't contribute to threads by asking completely irrelevant questions, too.

It's true, bitching about something is most likely not going to make a difference. The only real way to make a difference is to do what you think needs to be done.

No, because, fundamentally, there isn't anything wrong with that, and there are times where it's actually relevant. To complain about all "social media" threads would be ignorant and self-hindering.
What should be banned is blatantly posting flamebait, as that actually is against the rules.

It's not irrelevant.

Writing fan fics is literally just an alternate way of "complaining" about what you WANT the show to be. And it instills the idea that somehow every fan fic writer wants to become a serious artist. A very micro portion of people who do fanart and fanfics actually want to go to art college, do internships, freelance, or join the industry. Most of them just want to do fanart, fanfics, and commission now and then to get money.

There is no real difference between writing an essay on why SU sucks and writing a fan fic on Steven getting it on with Lapis. They're both pointless pieces of writing that can't be utilized and the skill you get from either is extremely minor.

The notion of "Even shitty art is better than complaining on the internet because at least you have something to show for it" is about as dumb as the idea of "You need to go to college if you want to have a career". It supports the idea that any form of production, even absolute crap production, is better than none at all.

>It supports the idea that any form of production, even absolute crap production, is better than none at all.
Except it's absolutely true. The quality of the end result is irrelevant. Whining, bitching and at worst harassing people on the internet is always objectively worse than doing something productive, because there's always a chance that something positive comes out of the latter. Even chris' horrible autistic shit has brought some mirth and joy to the world in the form of ridiculing and mocking threads, which is ironic considering you're trying to showcase it as an example of why no one should ever try anything.

A better career analogy would be you staying at home bitching about how the boomers have fucked the economy and how there are no jobs anymore and even if there are they're shit, so you'd much rather stay at home and circlejerk about it on Sup Forums instead of going to college or learning a trade or even trying in any form.

You know what they say, those who can't do, teach!

So essentially, you're saying that anyone who can't do something is unable to understand or criticize the flaws of a body of work related to the activity they cannot do. Art, music, literature; you can't call any of it bad because it's "unproductive". Nope. You're not allowed to say anything about it. Just shut up.

Jesus Christ user, you should write for these fucktards. You could make a killing

The problem is that 98% of what is called criticism is far from proper criticism, and the general attitude of most fans acting like they don't have to give any respect to creators because it's the internet. Filtering doesn't work so well because it eventually leads to them getting worse, as seen in cases like Zutara and the recent shit in the SU fandom.

Sure, some artists need some PR and HR advice, but some fans really need a reality check that because they like something doesn't mean they own it or the creator. And to learn what proper criticism is.

Some places refuse to hire you if you don't have a Facebook because they want to see you promoting a positive image. Welcome to the modern world

The post isn't talking about criticism of style or structure it's literally referring to shippers and waifufags who don't like a story direction solely because they wanted something else.

Are you going to pretend there aren't a significant number of whiny, entitled children in adults' clothing who are guilty of this?

No, she advised DICE on Mirror's Edge II which, surprise, turned out to be shit and came and went without anyone realizing it came out.

Creative types should be banned from social media because it seems all they ever do is cry about everything.

As a creative type I agree. I started following a woman thanks to the #visiblewomen.

I see her complain about people REPOSTING one picture of her's instead of RETWEETING.

I tweet her saying along the lines of "why are you so upset? it it go, most of your work is better than that one piece"

She blows up "is that supposed to make me feel better? You dont ever REPOST an artist's work! Blocked"

I now knew why she was an invisible woman, cause she carries herself like a total bitch.

Fuck creatives

Does this advice also apply for people who want more representation of their pet minorities?

the only people that should take this advice are the people who borderline shit themselves over entertainment not catering to them specifically

at that point the mother fucker needs to put on their big boy pants and go out of their way to force entertainment that caters to them and whoever the fuck else likes their brand of entertainment

"make what you want to see" is definitely good advice and in the end there are no losses

Nice

Now i want to see a scientific paper where they insult and use eavy language.

>These little fucking atoms are just mobbing these pathetic and selfhating electrons. These electrons should grow some spine and leave these abusive and clingy atoms.
Lol

>Falling for hashtag meme shit
Seriously

Someone I follow retweeted her with pics of her work. It was generally nice but shame she's an utter cunt.

>and came and went without anyone realizing it came out

I thought it was still in development.

>I tweet her saying along the lines
>I tweet her
Talking to people is a form of dogpiling and brigading, user. Stop being a harasser, it's against twitter rules, and could get you banned.

i never fucking understood this mentality

ive had my work taken and reposted all over the place without linking back to me or occasionally just vaguely mentioning i made it somewhere offhandedly and honestly all i can do is smile because someone, somewhere, saw my work and liked it enough to share it

i saw people write mini fanfics over the same works because it was fandom related and the activity appealed to them and it was touching that something i made sparked other peoples' creativity

its an addicting feeling knowing how your work influences others, even if they dont care about the person behind the work. i dont even want people to think about the person behind the work when they see the work

and no matter how hard i try i can not for the life of me understand why people would get pissed off when they see their work shared in a public space or when people "kin" with their work or whatever the fuck else fans typically do when they see something they really like

like so the fuck what if they didnt mention you by name when they showed people your work? grow the fuck up. youre not losing any work or clients, if they were that enthralled by your reposted art theyd ask around or search for you on their own.

You guys realise this is in response to people harassing a different writer because their gay ship isn't canon?

>write fanfiction and you'll get a job in the industry

That's kind of telling of the state of animation writing standards, desu

>tfw getting involved in fandoms is one of the best ways to network with professionals

This is exactly what this is about though, it's about people who were complaining that they were being 'queerbaited'

I know right? doubly so when noone else is claiming to have made it as well.

And drawing assloads of fanart is how you get noticed

>she advised DICE on Mirror's Edge II

No she didn't, that's an old Sup Forums rumor.

There's nothing wrong with writing fan fiction. Except there's no filter for competence, no editors and they do it in free time for free, but fanfiction is not inherently bad.

Don't rewrite history

I think she began making a game but the concept was just "tough female warrior saves effeminate prince".

gamerheadlines.com/2014/12/ea-replied-fan-petition-remove-anita-sarkeesian-mirrors-edge-2-game-development/#
>However once the petition was only a little over 2,000 signatures away from its goal of 50,000 signatures, EA stepped in and revealed that “This petition is based on inaccurate information. EA is not working with Anita Sarkeesian on development of Mirror’s Edge

Sup Forums dont harass people on twitter, shit we dont harass people in AGES...
if you want to know, all that harassing bullshit is TUMBLR fault, go there and try to have a civilized talk wiht them. I dare you.

>I turned my garbage ship into canon, quality doesn't matter. Stop hating what I like.

The post

Some people just want attention and self validing their ego.
Thats why they use Twitter and write everything that curse them.
Mostly they want re-tweets so their "channel" gets know better, get more follows and likes.

Thats why social media is so popular.
Its all about eboboost and varification.

No it was about saving her kingdom
but it hit almost every trope she railed against
and the bad guys actually did what she set out to do(institute new government) by kidnapping her

> calling the TT fan base names because you made a bad show

I thought the customer was always right. This is just bad bussiness, I think we can all agree adults like cartoons and it isn't too crazy that they watch it. Especially if you fucking make them. This is a whole new level of bad.

There's no history to rewrite, there isn't a single article, news piece to back the claim hat Sarkeesian worked on Mirror's Edge Catalyst.

But it's the tumblrites, the female fans that ship, obsessively so.
So why are you posting this on Sup Forums? Or is this directed at the female side of Sup Forums?

She was at DICE around the time they started developing the game giving a seminar/consulting them. This was back in 2012 and something the Battlefield twitter account (run by DICE) tweeted at the time. She wasn't programming or designing anything but was almost certainly giving them feedback and ideas regarding the game itself since part of what she does is to act as a consultant/give seminars at various game companies. She did the same for Bungie last year.

>is this directed at the female side of Sup Forums?
>women, on Sup Forums
oh well, if it is indeed, the Op gonna get disapointed...

They took her idea on heavily simplifying the control scheme which she said was an issue with female gamers

See, that just sounds like my fetish. How would she feel knowing that me and other degenerates like me would get off to her empowerment fantasy?

That sounds terribly sexist.

>They took her idea on heavily simplifying the control scheme which she said was an issue with female gamers

That's part of the Sup Forums rumor, the only source for that claim is screenshot from Sup Forums and a Destructoid article using the screenshot from Sup Forums.

Sup Forums taking a screengrab out of context and not researching before jumping to cry baby conclusions? Lol not surprised. All they care about is SU wanking and hacking animation show creator's twitters. They'll chase everyone off and eventually have nothing to whine about.

Sup Forums is dedicated to just whining and bitching on the internet and I love it. People find enjoyment in different things, you know.

I've had albums of my art make the Imgur front page multiple times. Probably a total or four or so times. The amount of followers I got total from that? Maybe 30.

I learned then that having someone popular reblog your artwork without linking back or using your art as a icon doesn't really matter. You wouldn't gain followers from it even if they did. Very rarely does one instance of e-popularity actually result in a fuckton of followers, and often times if it does, it's because the artist who got that popularity is a furry artist, anime artist, pokemon fanartist, or other types of "appeals easily to e-masses" artist.

Tell us more about the unwashed masses

>I got where I'm at by writing fanfiction and fanart!
>Not I got where I'm at because I'm fucking Alex Hirsch

>Alex works hard doing shitty work on Fish Hooks for the sake of a job and gets lucky enough to get noticed by Disney
>Makes a show, exhausts the shit out of himself trying to control every aspect by making it as good as he can.
>Dates one of his storyboard artists
>She gets to mooch of his fame, money, connections, and traveled around the world with him during the Cipher Hunt planning
>She then lectures people multiple times on her blog on how if you want to get where you are, you need to work hard like her and break your hand drawing otherwise you aren't truly living up to your potential

But what do you expect from a woman artist? For them to be realistic?

Is this true or just some exaggeration? I'm having enough trouble getting hired as is.

It's true. Companies prefer normies, so facebook, twitter and instagram are a must.

Looks like I'm stuck being a day labourer.

It's a LOT of factors. It's true a lot of companies will browse your social media to see "how you act" because companies want to trim down on interview time as much as possible. They'll look at your portfolio online, they'll check timestamps to see how often you post IE: how productive you are, they'll look at your twitter to see if you have a good personality.

CN, Nickelodeon, etc does not interview as often as you think, why do you think most of their hires are recent college grads who aren't from California? It's a bonus if you have a big following because that just means you will be promoting their work when you post your storyboards and etc online.

That isn't to say they REQUIRE a Facebook, but if a studio is unable to see how you act, you might get passed up for someone of whom they have more information on. It's mostly about adding up all the advantages possible to give yourself an edge more than actual requirements.

I am a creator, user.

Why does stuff like this make everyone so salty?

Yeah, why does a few dozen whiny 16-year olds make professional artists salty?

hahahaha
sure.
tell me all about your international awards