Sometimes people complain about the themes of nihilism in these shows. Most people defend or don't mind though

Sometimes people complain about the themes of nihilism in these shows. Most people defend or don't mind though.

Is there any merit to these complaints or are they just the result of contrarian faggotry or something else?

i can't really into bojack. I watched the first two seasons and really the only thing it has going for it are the couple moments that make you think "wow! this show isn't as shitty as it usually is for a minute or two."

Deep insecurity, OP.
Why would that bother anyone? Only if it gets to your core, if you're a weak pussy that never spent a thought on the futility of existence. Most of us had our existentialist periods and then we get over it and now we can enjoy the concept. But these whiny sacks of shit are so fragile that the mere concept makes them go into ego defcon 5. "SOMETHING IS TRYING TO IMPLY WE HAVE NO FUNCTION ON EARTH AND ARE NOT SPECIAL! CRITICIZE IT, DISMISS AS EDGY AND MOVE ON, FAST!"
It's seriously pathetic, must be the flattest, most unfounded piece of criticism I've ever seen.

contrarian faggotry

Bojack's nihilism doesn't make him happy, its just the adult version of pouting.

R&M's is nihilistic, but also has lots of themes about pursuing what makes you happy and taking joy in it no matter what other people think of you.

In before a bunch fags spam
>le reddit XD

bojack's nihilism is contrasted by pb's pov very well though where everyone just jacks off rick in r&m

I love Bojack. The nihilism is subtle and used in melodrama. It makes you think and really dawns on you thoughtfully. That's a sort of nihilism that's entertaining and accessible.

Rick and Peebles nihilism is "LE LOOK HOW MANY WE KILL ONSCREEN SO BLOODY DEAD FETUSES MONKEY-CHEESE WHEEL SO RANDOM XD!" ridiculously edgy family-guy tier nihilism. It's pure shock humor and a fair valid complaint to the show's weakness.

Mr. Peanutbutter is exactly as nihilistic as Bojack, he just makes a concious choice to not wallow in it.

This two faggots never watched more than two episodes of Rick and Morty. Literally cancer.

This little speech shows that Mr. PB is nihilistic as well.

There are 2 types of shows. Shows like Bojack which are cartoon kino.

And there are shows, so called Adult Cartoons™ like R&M, Ms.Pickles and Superjail which try be groundbreaking with how much gore they show. It's deep and disgusting but entertainment or what have you.

I've watched every episode you faggot. It's a Shock-show. Am I supposed to be woo'd with how intelligent a show is for making two people bury their own corpses or making "The Purge" parody reveling in it's own bloodshed.

I think the point of both bojack and PB is that they live mostly the same life and bojack constantly throws it away because he's a sad sack and his life just gets worse because of it.

Bojack changing his outlook and appreciate what he had than he'd realize his life was great and he'd be happy. Like Mr.Peanut butter.

You are fucking retarded. With the exception of the purge episode, graphic violence is never a focus or the delivery of any joke.
Your tiny tiny mind think adding violence to anything is always for the same effect that you learned to act smug to with Family Guy, you can't possibly conceive the fact that it isn't something negative unless it's used boringly. The amount of self projection with already bring to each episode makes you go "uhjn this is so leddit ughn I'm so above this ughn this is just shock humor", and that's your problem alone, that you're so insecure that you can't watch something without throwing a fit over it.

The point of Rick and Morty burying their own corpses goes hand in hand with the theme of nihilism.

Mr. Peanutbutter's life isn't great. He pretty constantly stumbles into problems like debt or fights with Diane, he just chooses to not focus on it. Which is why something he couldn't just ignore, like the abortion or family health problems affected him so strongly.

A show is about watching a already built character passing through something, not about reflecting yourself in and adopting beliefs.

Much of the "adults" in this thread should already know this

>It has to be either mindless or pretentious

How about somewhere in the middle? You're making yourself upset over nothing.

Hi R!bbit! I'm glad you love this animated tv-show.

But there are people here who aren't libertard fedora-tipper, science-cumming edgelords who self-insert as a drunken espie and think they know better than everyone else. (Shocking I know!)

But for that reason, it's common to find people who unlike the show. Take that in and try to wrap your head around it.

>Rick and Morty
>nihilistic

How is finding humanity and purpose in a multiverse where literally anything exists and nothing is extraordinary nihilistic? That the characters are not 100% ground down by everything that has happened is a miracle of human compassion.

What a load man. You can exaggerate if you want but I've seen the show. There are sprinkled tibits but no sort of delivery like Bojack's that hits home. It's all unbelievably blunt.
"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere"
Oh okay thanks for the edge? Real poignant do you want an unvote? It's like as impacting as if Mr. Peanutbutter wrote a show.

I'm not saying there isn't a middle ground. Xavier Renegade Angel gives a middle ground.
Rick and Peepee lends towards the mindless. Well not mindless, there's a clear tone to it, but it feels far closer to family guy or Mr. Pickles than it does Bojack.

Do you not understand what nihilism is?

He chooses to not let them ruin his outlook on life. It's all about your outlook.

>why do people dislike my favorite shows? Is it because they're faggots?

This.
Why do R&M fans get so bent out of shape when people say they don't like their show.

How insecure can you be over a show?

Nihlism is useless and annoying in reality. One of my closest friends is a nihlist and unsurprisingly, he is the most frustrating motherfucker I know. But in fiction it can be good. And it even makes perfect sense for these characters.

>A.V. Club

Did they have an article comparing the two or something? I stopped paying attention to them when the website went to shit a few years back, and all the writers and editors left.

I like Rick and Morty, but I think it's a fair point. For the most part, any sort of nihilism in the show is means to a violent end or that believing in nothing is what always makes Rick right. It really made the season 2 ending really bland to me, because I'm simply supposed to believe that Rick now suddenly cares about his family when there has been no real character arc to establish that he gives a shit about anyone other then Morty.

I find Bojack to be the more human feeling show - because Bojack still wants to feel like there's more then nothing but deep down he knows there's no fixing it.

>Nihlism is useless and annoying in reality

It's just a fact, it's not supposed to draw something productive out of itself. The fuck does it even mean that you think it's "annoying"?

And thanks for the useless anecdote.

Jesus, you are a sad, limited motherfucker.
That line is just stating a fact and you take it so hard, just because of your reddit agenda. It must be fucking shit to be you.

I want summer to be over

>Mr. Peanutbutter's life isn't great.

If that's your criteria, then very few people have a "great life". Getting into fight with your partner is going to happen. You're being naive if you think you're never going to disagree strongly on any topic.

And there's nothing wrong with being strongly affected by your wife wanting an abortion or find out that your close sibling is suffering from a serious illness.

The difference is that, in the end, PB still comes around and talks about it, tries to be supportive, and generally tries to make things positive because shit isn't going to make itself positive.

Unlike Bojack and other characters in the show, who just turn into a big mopey sad sacks that get drunk/high and take out their frustrations out on people whenever they don't get exactly what they want in life.

Bad shit happens to everyone. Being happy and having a "good life" doesn't mean bad shit never happens to you. It doesn't mean you can never be sad or emotional.

>can't think of shit to say
>s-summer!

I've been here for 8 years.

>tries to act all cool and elite
>find people who unlike the show
>unlike the show
>unlike

And thanks for the useless opinion in regards to the useless anecdote.

>Bad shit happens to everyone

I wish more people understood this.

You'd think that make your skin thicker but you still managed to flip out and and throw a mini tantrum just because some guy said Nihilism is annoying in real life.

Rick was shown to be full of shit since the start.
During the council of Ricks assassination plot we see him cry at the idea of not seeing Morty anymore, but he obviously denies it and covers it up in aggressiveness.
Then on the broken time episode he begs "If there is a God please let me live, I'm sorry", only to then use him being alive as a proof that there is no god, a typical shit, weak response. He's never a mary sue and the show jacks off around him, like this insecure as fuck user always insist. Even IF he watched the show, the fact that he can't see those things being showed blatantly on the episodes prove that he's too defensive about the show because of his own insecurities.
It's just a kid terrified at the idea of nihilism, atheism, the pointlessness of everything and the violence of nature, taking on the show.

It's still some pretty dumb statement. A nihilist wouldn't even interact with you.

I don't know if nihilism is the problem.

Bojack I don't have any issue with and I don't see how anything about it is nihilistic. The characters care about things and about each other. Sure, they have their vices, as everyone does, but they try to overcome them and often fail. There's nothing nihilistic about that.

Rick and Morty is mostly just everyone being stupid, an asshole or both. It's funny and creative but when it tries to be emotional I can't get invested in it. But it's not because it's nihilistic but rather because the characters just aren't relatable.

You're welcome.

By the way, you could have responded to the rest of my post but instead you decided to throw a hissy because I called your stupid anecdote stupid.

But what should I expect from someone who calls nihilism "annoying".

The belief that life is without objective meaning, according to Wikipedia. So I'm right. Rick and Morty is not a nihilistic show. There are infinite realities rendering every attempt at finding absolute meaning fruitless, but the characters find it nonetheless, somehow.

>"this user is insecure for disliking a character."

this is textbook projection.

>fedora, reddit, shock and edge are criticisms in the eyes of these faggot millenials
>god forbid something be indifferent about muh value of life

This is hilarious, what a bunch of pansies.

I don't think you guys get it. Just because the universe has no objective meaning doesn't mean that people can't experience emotions or wants.

I think the reason they rarely if ever use a genuinely good person is that others don't find decent people getting hurt funny (unless they're into Kafkaesque stuff).

None of his criticism applies to the character, so that is his own projection over it, dumbass.
Goddamn, you kids are fucking dumb as bricks.

To correct everyone in this thread, nihilism is believing nothing is real, therefore nothing carries value or consequences.

You R&M fanboys really do get flustered over people making the littlest criticism to your show, you can't even raise an argument without referring to them as a "dumbass insecure piss shit kid baby".

It's just a show, my guy, take it easy.

There are specific forms of nihilism being discussed here, namely existential and moral nihilism.

It's just faggotry. Art is meant to evoke emotion. People that complain about it are literaly saying "I don't like when people use art to evoke emotions that I don't approve of."

It's not about the show, you little nigger. I couldn't care less about opinions. It's the fact that post modern sjw "hurp atheist edge fedora durp" like you exist on my earth.

Eh, I'm into kafkaesque stuff.

But aside from that, something I like to bring up in Rick and Morty threads is Venture Brothers. Rick and Rusty Venture are, on face value, very similar characters. They're both kinda bitter, cynical mad scientists that are neglectful if not downright abusive towards their family and friends.

I can't stand Rick while Rusty might be one of my favourite fictional characters ever. And it's really just because I feel he's a much more three dimensional character. Of course he kinda has to be because Venture Bros is a more character driven show while Rick and Morty is more about inherently absurd concepts but it's something I can't help but notice. Whenever Rick and Morty tries to make the viewer genuinely feel for its characters it falls flat on its face.

you're a walking stereotype for nihilists, my friend.

But...that's exactly what I've been saying with my posts. Objectively and even existentially, there is no meaning. Yet the characters somehow construct it for themselves. That contrast is the beauty of Rick and Morty for me.

You said in your first post.

>Bojack I don't have any issue with and I don't see how anything about it is nihilistic. The characters care about things and about each other. Sure, they have their vices, as everyone does, but they try to overcome them and often fail. There's nothing nihilistic about that.

>there's nothing nihilistic about that

That's where you made an error. Like you said, there is no objective meaning and the characters accept that and find meaning themselves. That doesn't stop them from being nihilistic though.

People don't like that these shows are nihilist, which is a fundamental fault on their part. The show isn't made for them, they're both essentially character studies on extremely flawed but interesting people who deal with the same existential insecurities that people with low self esteem deal with.
It's not like this is anything new, these are just characters in long-form western animation meant for continuous viewership. A significant portion of Evangelion shows the same kind of questions through a different lens.
Can bojack find meaning in himself rather than fame/admiration from the people around him?
Can Shinji find meaning in himself rather than admiration from his peers/father?
same shit
it just depends on whether you like nihilism or not.

Or people just dont like the show because it doesn't appeal to them, like maybe they don't find it funny?

Way to completely ignore things like presentation and effective dramatic storytelling. It's not like you can just show your message without having a stuttering drunken retard yell it to the viewers face or with lolsoedgy gore and death every episode as a means of "Criticism."

well obviously but we aren't talking about whether people like the show, we're talking about the nihilism in the show

You got me confused. I'm these posts

read the op

Finding your own purpose without there being any objective one is 100% nihilism.

That's not the point. the point is people who get triggered about the nihilism, like this loser user that keeps talking about lolsoedgegore (way to completely miss the point, btw. to that retard) because that's literally all he can see, even though someone that watched the entire series and isn't so on the closet about their own problems and insecurities wouldn't even think that the gore is anything of importance, they probably barely noticed it the first time they watched, because in this world everything is so fantastical that people dying has little to no impact, the opposite of shock value.

Like, I'm yet to see someone mention a certain joke that they feel was constructed badly, but what I see by the bunch is this pseudo argument "reddit gore edge fedora" garbage, that it's barely an opinion, it's just shitposting and buzzwords. The lowest form of viewer and people to talk to in general.

That depends. There are different flavors to it. You are talking about just ONE of nihilisms defining assumptions as being the definitive one. But there being no objective meaning is also the central notion of constructivism, for instance, which assumes self constructed or socially constructed meaning with a possibility, but not a necessity, for objective meaning underlying that. Or buddhism.

Nihilism is often additionally associated with pessimism: Even constructed meaning is derived from no meaning at all, thus constructed meaning is just a delusion. Basically, it's like buddhism or constructivism with infinite whining about it. And then there's moral nihilism, which is self-explanatory.

None of that is present in Rick and Morty. I would argue that Rick tries to present himself as a nihilist in the pessimist and moral nihilist sense, but is actually compassionate and finds his sense in family.

I'm giving that opinion because I honestly don't feel like Rick and Morty has anything to offer. If there was a level of depth beyond the gore and shock value or reddit memeing maybe you'd have a point, but when the entire show revolves around the character arc of one person I already hate the show is reasonable supposed to make me detest, what more of a point is there?

I cannot feel any valuable statement about nihilism made that doesn't come off as edgy and tryhard from a Gary Sue asshole who isn't valuable, values nothing, has no sympathy for anything nor is sympathetic. Why should I care about Rick or anything he has to say? When you take out the Reddit "Everyone is fucking idiots" garbage you don't even really have a character, he's nothing, the majority of all his speeches and 'meaningful' insight is just to pander to the reddit crowd and not any real statement on apathy of the nihilism apparent in life. You have this sad tragic anti-hero character pushed so far they forgot any point they were making in making me care about him or give him meaningful things to say. I mean would I really be able to take anything Bojack seriously if he went on a murder spree once an episode or practically murdered his grandson and dismissed it with a joke about "There are a million of you isn't this aesop clever?"

It's like a grimdark Doctor Who.
We already know the Doctor is a genocidal maniac, but we forgive him because it's a silly charming campy show about plastic aliens and know he won't get with the girl. If it tried to take his loneliness and desperation seriously for more than one episode I'd feel like my skull is being bashed in by the writers for 'artistic effect'.

If they want to make R@M poignant they have to dial back the family-guy tier edge and work on the parts that aren't. His relationships, his motivations and ethics, maybe give him a personality that isn't sarcastic bitter quips. Bojack is half that and isn't as unlikable.
Get what I'm saying?

Anyway that's why I feel like Rick and Morty depends too much on a vapid-nihilism theme. Shocking and disgusting but not really impactful.

I mean the show could even be fucking funnier if they dropped the edge and Aesops and just let itself be honest, a space-scifi Superjail or Mr. Pickles. No message or real themes but bad tasting jokes and everything it set out to be.

I'd rather that than a dishonest show that's trying to milk nihilisistic themes and gray morality for way more than it has any right to take seriously.

Personally, I've never seen the point of nihilism.

that's the point

When did you realize you were going to be a Bojack for the rest of your life?

I was 22.

Nihilism doesn't inherently come with pessimism or a lack of compassion.

You keep repeating those buzzwords and at the same time you say you watched the entire show. Either you're full of shit and lying through your teeth, or really did watch it and it's still too dense to take in anything about it.
Like another person said, Rick may want to give a nihilistic impression, but he cares about the people around him, in fact they're all he cares about. His entire shtick is a facade created out of fear and pain. That's not me reading into it, that's painted clearly by the show.
You also don't know what Gary Sue even means.
Someone gave you this opinion that Rick and Morty is a pretentious Family Guy, or you made that opinion yourself, and even if you watch the show explain how Rick works you'll stay won't see it because of this shitty opinion bubble you've put yourself in.
Nothing anyone says will change that, you're just biased against it so whatever, keep your triggers and buzzwords, I ain't trying to argue that you haven't seen the show anymore.

I hate this whole
>"You didn't watch enough or didn't watch it!"
Meme that always comes up. It's like reddit-types always expect when someone watches a show they worship they'll glorify it as much as they do and if they don't have a holier than thou opinion well they must not have seen it right?

>His entire shtick is a facade created out of fear and pain.
Yeah I get that he's pathetic underneath.
He has fears and is secures and is lonely, depressed, desperate and utterly in despair all the time. That's the reason for his drinking, real subtle.
The problem is, it doesn't make me care about him. It doesn't make his speeches or aesops more impactful or give an ounce of weight to the meaningless deaths. It's just there.
Unlike with Bojack, his drinking problems and pathetic character isn't what's supposed to make him tragic or interesting. It's how he deals with the nihilistic delivery of the show that makes him feel so brilliant. Rick is just a sad person disguised as an asshole.

Maybe I've got a confirmation bias but the show continually reinforces that with how blunt and in-your-face it is, and I detest that style. Everything is meaningless and sad because Morty said so or is depressing as shit because Rick rants about how it is, okay so fucking what? Good storytelling and characterization isn't a soap-box.
>You also don't know what Gary Sue
A male Mary Sue. A character without (meaningful) flaws that interact with their environment and narrative. One who the narrative and setting places way too much importance and everything gets warped around just for them. A character clearly made for the author's avatar and viewers self-insert. One whose 'way better' than all the rest of the cast and more important obviously. An obnoxiously hypersmart competent character whose most interesting flaw is they suffer from "Depression."

It's amazing how even the premise of Rick and Morty isn't all terrible. It's just the handling of Rick that destroys any investment.

R&M and Bojack both show nihilism in different ways- the depression and the destructiveness of it. Bojack is the depression, but Rick is the destruction "Nothing matters lets trash everything and blow shit up let's destroy society"
he has moments of depression (unity) but ultimately it's a big "fuck you" to the universe.
both great shows.

Edgy-critique fag here, I noticed that. It's interesting.
Bojack has a human element to it, but R&M lacks that in it's storytelling.
Bojack exists in a world where human suffering and tragedy can undo you. Human responsibility and action is what sets up the tragic elements.
R&M just exists in a world where the Universe/Multiverse doesn't care if you live or die and that's kinda sad and dark, but it cannot form any attachment because there's no humanity in any of the characters either. It sets up something to juxapose with the dark hopeless setting but than doesn't contrast it at all, except with more dark hopeless characters.

There's a kind of immoral saturation that kills it's own impact. It's like written from the point of view of a nihilist who says "Everything is meaningless and choice is meaningless blah blah" rather than "Reality is meaningless but we make our own meaning" which Bojack feels like.

Have you ever considered the show is in YOUR face, specifically, and not to the rest? There's literally only one instance of Morty stating that things are horrible, and yet you talk like it's the norm. Rick is the most flawed character in the show and it's hated by everyone, and yet you talk about him being perfect and adored and better than everyone. You keep taking things that ocurred once and blow them out of proportion, and equating all cartoony violence to meaningless shock (which it isn't. Graphic slapstick is a thing). The creators just have improv banters and you make it seem like it's one guy with a hard-on for Rick self inserting into every script (which makes no sense because they so often reinforce how pathetic Rick is, even with his own atheistic beliefs).
It seems like a personal issue, if you ask me.

>and yet you talk like it's the norm
How is it not the norm? The entire show's format is based in Rick and Morty's two-man slapstick routine, with them routinely monologuing and commenting everything with their worthless critique.

>Rick is the most flawed character in the show and it's hated by everyone, and yet you talk about him being perfect and adored and better than everyone.
It's complicated. Yes he is the most flawed. He's also the most hated.
But the latter statements come from a storytelling element in which they try to push Rick as more virtuous, with the virtues of say Diogenes. A tragic figure right? But one so hated and disliked and flawed that it actually justifies him as lofty ideal of the show in which it frames it's point.

If it wasn't trying to frame it like this, the end of the 2nd Season would be meaningless. There's be no value to Rick's sacrifice at all because he's an asshole and not some lofty revered sacrificial lamb whose surrendering himself because he's holier than thou. But clearly not since, among popular consensus the finale was something to cement R&M as the "Greatest cartoon ever444." It's insipid.

> it's one guy with a hard-on for Rick self inserting into every script
Don't be naive.
Rick is Roland's libertarian atheist mouth-piece.
The ambiguity with a narrative reinforcing him as 'pathetic' is supposed to be reflective of how that poor enlightened mindset is persecuted in today's world and society.
The aesop in the S2 finale couldn't be more clear since he "Fought the government and disagreed waagwwaah" with the show again trying to push it's values in place of storytelling.

I think if the show seriously re-evaluated their pacing and took a long hard look at Rick Sanchez, it could have something to say. Like we get several or even a small number of eps with Rick in Prison, re-evaluating his views. Finding something meaningful even, a sliver of humbling. Meet someone maybe, find a hobby. Give speeches about his feelings and situation rather than grandiose views on the multiverse or Space Government/whatever reddit-tier opinion he has.

Humanize him.

But I doubt that, because given the show's format it's a more realistic expectation that Morty and friends will break him out in the first 15 minutes with a superjail-esque bloody sequencing where every prisoner is bloodied and gore'd in the most shocking way possible so we can learn how Rick was right all along after he escapes with his aesop speech.

Maybe the latter is more meaningful. Maybe I'm deluded and biased and that's way better storytelling, characterization, that break-neck paced nilihistic swill which clearly doesn't lessen the shows messages at all. But if I'm wrong I still don't want to watch it.

Not gonna continue the discussion, just wanted to acknowledge you being able to express yourself without shitpost buzzwords (I'll let the absolutely needless 'athesit' pass by). It seems you are growing into a human being with actual opinions. Good for you.

in your heated scramble for an ideology to lynch it seems you've forgotten something

Buzzwords are the quickest way to express a point, lame as they are. If people see them they're much more likely to understand a superficial critique, rather than read through paragraphs of jargon. Saves everyone time and spares a long essay.

Maybe the show's just not for me and I might be biased. But OP was asking user's opinions and that's my whole stance on the "R&M uses nihilism as a crutch and not a strength" argument.

Morty has potential.
If Rick can grow to give a damn about him and we see Morty grow out of his role as the pleb-idiot aesop-viewer surrogate I think the show can really get somewhere. I'm not optimistic, but that's a vague possibility.

>R&M fanboys are about to fucking shoot up the school

I don't really see how atheist is a buzzword? I'm an atheist. So what.
"Libertarian mouth piece" seems like a greater snarl, but that's just my opinion.

in all honesty, its just really, really boring
Nihilism isint done well in either show, its more of a slow crawl of existential apathy and moral relativism created by a void of any sort of faith any character upholds or strives towards

Nihilism at its core is about the casting off of the shackles of imposed values and memes of the collective to strive towards something greater. In doing so becoming the ubersmech who acts upon his own view of what is true and just and refuses to compromise haggle or trade them. To become Truley good and to strive for good we have to move beyond the notion of good and evil.
For example characters how example the superman and can be said to be truly nihilistic ideal are:
>superman (fucking obvious)
>guts and griffith
>captain America
>popeye

You can spare us your self-admitted lame buzzwords and just be honest. I'll take the paragraphs.

Because Rick is portrayed as a 'smarter-than-thou' demigod who effortlessly bests every problem with his limitless intellect and is the closest thing to perfection in the entire show. He fancies himself the smartest being in the universe and the show accommodates him. Even when he is reckless he is given some reasonable excuse for his actions so that he can never truly be 'wrong'. I find it somewhat ironic that a theme of the show is "How can our small lives matter in a universe so vast?" but the entire R&M universe seems to revolve around Rick and his doings.

I literally just got done marathoning both seasons of rick and Morty and I've got to say there really wasn't that much anti-god stuff as I thought there would be.
Apart from that one "there is no god you've gotta rip that band aid off" in the first episode I only counted two more instance of god being false mentioned
And there were like 3 instances of Rick implying that god does exist
The christmas episode in the first season where he yells how christmas is meant to be about jesus and the second season premiere where he thinks he'll die and prays to get to heaven come to mind
Really the only other cucky thing I reacted to was when Rick and Summer took steroids and went around beating up neo-nazis and the westboro baptist church for just standing around, but you've got to expect that from all American media.
Also the purge episode where they didn't kill the girl who shot Rick and instead teamed up with her and turned it in to some anti-capitalist thing kind of pissed me off.
I'll go back to Sup Forums now

If you don't like the show then don't watch the show.

It's clear a huge problem with modern media, especially with the advent of the internet, is that everyone feels entitled to every piece of media made and that it must cater to them.

That's why you get SJWs demanding every piece of media change to suit their agenda, and that's why you get Sup Forums demanding every piece of media change to suit their agenda.

Just fuck off complaining

The most meaningless and hollow criticism of anything i've heard today, congrats.

I can think of worse walking stereotypes to be.

tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society user. It is important to scrutinize what could potentially shape the minds of the young. Having ideals and an agenda through which to achieve those ideals is not a bad thing.

You have to stick up till at least episode 8. This is where it rally start to pay off.

why are these two shows even being compared? rick and morty is a comedy first and foremost, the show is not really concerned about character development

i dont watch rick and morty to see jerry or someone grow as a person, its a fucking cartoon. there's a reason the characters are so one dimensional, especially compared to bojack.

i dont know why people are expecting a late night stoner show on adult swim to have soap opera tier characterization.

Finally someone gets it.
Even when he 'loses' or is punished like in the Season 2 final it's still just to milk the audiences sympathy and one big jerkoff moment to Rick's character, like we're supposed to clap and feel awe struck at what a selfless and sacrificing guy is.

Well fuck that shit.
Rick's an evil sociopath who got what he deserved, don't try to make me fucking care for him show.

I really don't think the shows try to defend or hide the negative aspects of these characters. Rick in particular has some very obvious and major character flaws outside of his nihilism.

This, the show's are trying to achieve different things, but R&M is first and foremost a cartoon meant to entertain with tacky jokes and scribbly dark improv writing. It's not a soap opera.

But R&M fanboys get extremely butt blasted and bent out of shape when people imply the show isn't that high on the Shakespeare square and even more mad when it's compared to shows like Mr. Pickles or Family Guy, since in their view such a piece of media couldn't possibly be compared to their gold standard. "Late night stoner show" is a huge insult to their investment.

No, no, no. Comic books, video games, movies...they're just fucking entertainment. Let the people who make the entertainment create what they fucking want to create.

Trying to shout at them to change what they create is plain retarded.

If you don't like what they're putting out, don't buy it. It's why I don't buy Marvel anymore, because I don't like the direction they're headed. I don't begrudge anyone who does buy Marvel, because it is what they want to buy.

Instead I buy DC because DC is fucking great.

>Even when he is reckless he is given some reasonable excuse for his actions so that he can never truly be 'wrong'.

Pilot
Anatomy Park
Rick Potion #9
Raising Gazorpazorp
Auto Erotic Assimilation
Big Trouble In Little Sanchez

He was out right wrong and wasn't redeemed for it.

I think you are missing a big point. It's best featured in Erotic Auto-assimilation, but the thing is, despite his knowledge and competence, he is still a miserable fuck up thatneed to drunk himself out to keep going and forget his pain.

Even the smartest guy in the universe can't find satisfaction in his life and it's one of the them of the episodes. He is still miserable despite all this.