I thought Leto's Joker was pretty cool...

I thought Leto's Joker was pretty cool. A good balance of batman the animated series and darker psycho with some gangster thrown in.

Different look but a good one. Only thing i didn't approve of was that he actually seems to love harley but it still plays.

So what is everyone so upset about?
Is it just "not muh joker!" syndrome?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Mgs2I1xgkKg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

He was only in the movie for so long though.

I just feel like this new interpretation need ed to be fleshed out more in a Batman movie or something where it focus more on him.
Then be a guest star.

I think I could like this Joker but we'll see.

We'll never know since Leto will /wrists before playing the Joker again.

Yeah that's part of why i don't get the issues.

This was basically just a joker teaser. SS used harley's back story to set up the joker too.
Other than that we got a little bit of Nicholson crazy machine gunning and not much else.

I would understand the use of this tattoo if he was rubbing his face, but he's not, and it makes him look like a tryhard teen who probably listens to modern Green Day.

Oh yeah?

Yeah, I was kinda afraid that this joker would turn up to be shit, but I actually really liked him. They decided to go for a slightly unconventional approach and I think they've actually done a great job with it.

Meh. Doesn't do much for me but maybe it's just an accession to the traditional huge clown grin.
Or maybe it's all artsy because the joker has always put on a laughing mask with murder in his heart

Yeah so far, so good as far as i'm concerned

Every picture, he's either shirtless, or his shirt is half undone. Why?

because that's supa gangsta, yo!!!!!!!

This Joker was really sexy, and i'm saying this as a 100% heterosexual dude who loves bear, goes to the gym three times a weak and love to eat pussy.

Before i could never understand what Harleen, who's such a cute blonde, had seen in the Joker, because in the comics he's usually drawn ugly as fuck with his huge chin and nose. Even in past movies he came off as disgusting. But Jared Leto's Joker had the whole Clown "Prince" of Crime down to a pat. Dude exuded power and sensuality.

Why not?
It's just the style they chose

Because he's more macho than you.

That's not the Joker's style, though. Not even close. It's the style of a teen who paints his nails black and wears mascara.

>implying someone who wears Hot Topic clothes, and is covered in faggy tattoos is more macho than someone who can squat over 3hundo.

Faggot.

>That's not the Joker's style, though

It is now. The same way it was when he wore a Hawaii shirt and shorts.

I've not really seen on Sup Forums the opinion that I've only seen from my friend and I about how it seemed that Leto was channeling Jim Carrey.

I feel like this Joker was acting very much like how Jim Carrey acted in The Mask, and I was hit by the brunt force of Jim Carreyness when he called Common a 'handsome hagonka'

But i'm all about da puss-puss, m8. I'm just confiding with my anonymous friends because i'm perfectly comfortable with my sexuality.

So you're going with "not muh joker!"

>It's the style of a teen who paints his nails black and wears mascara.
>not the Joker's style

bro do you even comics

Joker is an inherently shit character so there's no such thing as a "good Joker".
>I'm so evil and cuhrayzee: the character
That's his entire personality.
And don't even bother me with the Batman's thematic antipode bullshit. Batman's rogue gallery is filled to the brim with thematically connected characters who manage to be actually complex, at least by cape comics standards.

He wasn't playing the Joker. He was playing one part H.H. Holmes and one part random thug.

The Joker is an extremely fluid character but the hallmarks are clear:
-he's always smiling
-he does things primarily because they're funny
-he's obsessed with Batman and Batman only

This character doesn't hit those extremely wide marks.

On a side note, whose brilliant idea was it to let a trailer studio make the final edit? Everything's cut at least a few seconds too short and the soundtrack doesn't fit at all.

So you've got good leg muscles, so fucking what? Joker still out-machoes you, bitch.

>Or maybe it's all artsy because the joker has always put on a laughing mask with murder in his heart
>laughing mask
There is no mask in the Joker's laughter. All the world is a stage, all men players, and by god the Joker's going to make it a fucking comedy if it kills (you).

>H.H. Holmes
That's an insult to H.H. Holmes.

That's ALL the joker's laughter is. He is covered in war paint and his laughter is a battle cry.
His mask is that it's all jokes when he's deadly serious. Just like he professes he's just a maniac without a plan when he actually carries out plans almost as complex as anything batman could conceive

>Pic
One of my favorite parts of the movie desu

>His mask is that it's all jokes when he's deadly serious
This is the kind of retard that enjoys the Suicide Squad movie.

Only Azzarello and Timm could interpret this scene as Joker having a fit.

>taking what the joker says at face value

>calls someone else a retard

Hahaha!

Saw the movie last night and he was... bestial. All that growling, barely saying anything. Too tragic, not funny. It didn't help that he was almost incomprehensible. There were only a couple of spots where I thought he was Joker-like.

I wish Ledger was less of an inspiration for the character. I mean, there's nearly nothing that character has in common with other interpretations, imo. Maybe the O-face after killing someone, which is I think something Nicholson also did.

I didn't hate it. But meh.

I do prefer him actually loving Harley rather than her just being an abused sex toy/arm candy to him, which is pretty much what she was originally designed to be.

I hate that kid.

Leto's mad that this wasn't Joker: The Movie starring Jared Leto and some other fuckers.

Granted the amount of scenes he filmed to his actual screen time, you cannot blame him even if his character was shit.

I'm willing to give him another chance. I feel like he has potential to be amazing. I wish they didn't cut so much of his shit.

>Joker
>always smiling

But that's wrong you fucking retard.

>obsessed with Batman and Batman only
Wrong.

For fuck's sake, the Joker is based off The Man Who Laughs, the story about a boy who is purposefully disfigured so that he is always smiling.

It's one of the biggest and most recognizable traits of the character.

I'm beginning to think the people who defend these massive piles of garbage are literally retarded.

He has a terrible laugh and that's all that matters at the end of the day

He didn't do anything Joker like at all. Take of the clown make up and hes generic criminal leader number 6 gorillion.

The tattoos were way too on-the-nose.

>soundtrack doesn't fit
>need a gangsta during the acid bath wasn't slick as fuck

Because Leto is the sexiest Joker actor

Whether Joker has a perma grin (not Nolan scars of course) depends on the artist. But it might be a more modern thing.

>yfw that's the audience they were going for

I like it
youtube.com/watch?v=Mgs2I1xgkKg

We will never be able to see how good Joker he is until

A. we actually see all the shit that was cut out of SS

B. to see how he plays off of Batfleck

"B" is the most important as any Joker worth a shit should have great chemistry with Batman.

I sure hope Ayer is just being the loyal company man right now as not to get Tranked, and WB releases his cut later.

I don't need the Joker to be complex. I am not interested in him being philosophical and shit. Just be an insane gangster clown that kills people, and finds it funny.

As for Leto Joker, he kinda got shafted by WB. He needs a movie where he at least is alowed to have more presence. If he shows up in "The Batman" movie i am hoping that he also gag weapons and Joker toxin

I'm sorry about your shit taste

This is funny considering that's exactly what it was in TDK. Fucking idiot

Still better than Ledgers.

The permanent Grin thing was Burton's Joker. he was never like that in the comics

yeah it's method acting. after you play joker you have to kill yourself because the character is just so complex and twisted you must have gone insane

The only thing I was disappointed in was the small plothole near the beginning. Since Snyder wasn't directing, there were inconsistencies in the writing. Can anyone explain how Joker had his damaged tattoo and grills before Harley's transformation, if Harley was apparently an "accomplice to the murder of Robin?"

i can explain.

the movies trash and DCEU is doomed

I can't respect people with edgy tattoos in real life, why the fuck would I like an edgy face tattoo joker?

Objectively false

Why would the DCEU be doomed if the other two movies were top tier? All they have to do is give Snyder more control.

He didn't really have any menace for me. People shit on Ledgers Joker, myself more than most, but its undeniable he had a real menace to him, you really got the sense that he was like a coiled snake ready to strike at random. I think that was really fucking heavily backed up by the steadily growing whine noise in the background that really helps amp up the tension, but its not like Ledger did fuck all.

Its like that scene in the club where he's all "ayy yo fuck my girl" and Harley's like "yeah he's hot, I wanna fuck him" and the bloke is like "Nah mate, she's your bird, I'm not after that" and then he kills him. I get that it was supposed to be a scene that highlights how mental he is and how "dangerous" he is cause he can just off you at random for no real reason, but there was just no menace for me, I didn't feel danger.

It doesn't help that I was very aware that I was watching someone act every time he was on screen. You know when you're watching a film and you focus on it? He broke that for me every time he was on screen

Oh and I really didn't like his Joker voice. It sounded like he was doing a poor mans impression of Hamil by way of Ledger and there were more than a few lines that he delivered really fucking weirdly. Like he had a boiled sweet he was rolling around his mouth. Particularly the "He's so intense!" line.

I did like the way he looked though, which I really didn't think I would before I went into the screen. Get rid of/replace some of the more on the nose tattoos and I can get behind it

Your opinion? Yes it is.

Leto's laugh sounds like Sloth from The Goonies

more and more, you forget why we hated the jokers design in the first place befor 'the movie didnt make me puke' excuse came out... doesnt matter, this is a shitty joker, the point of using a character that already exists is to use 'that character' if you just want the name and hype but dont care enough to keep it traditional you are just a fucking hot topic commonfag who likes eating the slop DCMU gives them. Stop making a million pof these threads OP, you make like 6 a day trying to defend it and its appearent your trying to instigate. 'muh ____' has always been a valid complaint because its the closest thing anyone has to reference and stability. /Thread

I love elseworld stories. I love different interpretations of characters.

But DC has been pumping out nothing but shit movies, and this is the kind of angle they choose to go with for Joker? They decide to try out some D list elseworld try hard punk tattoo Joker? This is what they thought would really help get their movie universe going?

They looked at Marvel and how Marvel is doing iconic version of their characters, and they decided to try something that probably wouldn't have been well received even as a one-shot comic book?

I just dont even know what DC is doing at this point.

>I prefer him loving Harley

Why? Its far FAR more interesting to have a relationship play out as being abusive and one sided than just "they're in love". Its more tragic and it makes the Joker more repellent. Allowing him the capacity to love humanises him and you should never really do that with the Joker. There's a reason why he's existed for nearly 80 years without a definitive backstory.

Shit opinion there desu senpai

Ledger's laugh sound like a faggot.

I liked the Gangster side, it's nice to see Joker being a criminal instead of an anarchist or anti-christ or whatever Snyder pins him as. I enjoyed the obsessive/possessive side that he shared with Harley.
I liked the acid vat scene a lot, for some reason

It's just the high pitched parts of Hamill's laugh

They took him back to his gangster roots, but modernised it basing him on the instagram posts of gangsters in South America.

I hated it before I went in, but found myself not liking it per se, but certainly not absolutely hating it while I watched it.

I kind of dig what they were going for at least, even if I thought the execution was far too on the nose

it's doomed because joker leto is clearly going to be the main bat villain.

also signs point to:

a robin story (who fucking wants this??)
joker having "killing joke" origin story (plus a fucking love story with harley?)
justice league being a marvel quip-off

>Why? Its far FAR more interesting to have a relationship play out as being abusive and one sided than just "they're in love". Its more tragic and it makes the Joker more repellent.

I think the portrayal of the joker would have been much better if Harley kept insisting he was coming to save her, but he never did. Harley gets mad at him, swears she'll never follow him again, and then when he breaks her out of prison in the end she falls right back into her old habits, because that's the kind of person she is.

because really, I don't buy that he would ditch harley to drown in the car and then turn around and rescue her from a city with some weird swirling shit in the sky.

Pretty much. I'm so glad I never read DC comics. Had no expectations for the film going in, even after seeing a bunch of reviews beforehand. Was pleasantly surprised, but I get why people would want a Director's Cut.

Plus, the Joker seems to be a blank canvas for writers and actors to put their own spin on. He's Gotham's sinister court jester, now roll with that.

The Joker literally has done both those things

MOM

when did you get the impression their relationship isn't abusive?
Was it when he tortured her strapped to a table?

I've always liked it when Harley swears off him, says he's a pig and she's done with him, but then inevitably goes back to him.

Its way more bleak when she knows on some level that he's an abusive cock who is no good for her, but damnit she just can't quit him.

I like the general direction that they're taking the Joker for the DCEU. I like the idea of the Joker just being an eccentric deranges gang boss. I like the idea of him being a trashy modern "gangsta" (although the overabundance of tattoos is a bit much for me). I like the idea of him being the baddest, craziest, scariest gangster in town who will kill you without a moments notice. I like Jared Leto in other movies. So I was onboard for this interpretation of the Joker.

But Leto just...wasn't very good. He just seemed to overact and overaccentuate every little thing to the point where his performance just came across as hokey. His laugh was dumb, his voice was dumb, his smile was dumb, and his relationship to Harley was dumb. Having said that, the whole movie kinda sucked and he was barely in it, so I don't know if I can blame Leto or if he was actually doing something great that just didn't come across in the movie.

'S

GONNA

You mean when she said "I can take it" and was totally into it?

Joker and Harley work best when he sees her as a possession. He doesn't get mad when someone makes a pass at Harley cause he loves her or is jealous, for example, he literally sees her as his stuff.

They kind of nearly went there when he leaves her in the car to drown, but literally every other scene he had in the movie was about how much he loves her.

I'm not saying they had a perfect romance, or that he wasn't a dick, but he clearly actually loved her

They really wanted to show off the tattoo that says "Joker" on his stomach.

F R E A K
R
E
A

HONKA HONKA

Best Joker laugh in live action.

>Not based Cesar Romero

Get out

Not much to go off of, but I think Leto's cardinal sin was simply not being funny. Also whats the consensus on Joker actually loving Harley? Because personally I find it stupid

i was into him too in all but appearance, didnt mund the whole Harley shtick because she will leave him in due time, even original Joker didnt hate her that badly

He just didn't seem like Joker to me. Besides the green hair and tattoos, he felt like a bunch of edgy edge lords I've met in real life. Completely predictable. Not to mention I didn't laugh at a single one of his "jokes". Sorry, but I gotta give a thumbs down. Maybe Batfleck will make him seem cooler, if the DCEU isn't canceled before he gets the chance.

It misses the point that makes it more interesting than just another bland love story and it humanises him, something you should never do with the Joker

>original Joker
>Harley

Yeah...Timm and Azz fucked up.

About the only remotely "Joker" thing he does is the gift basket. What we couldnt have a gag where the guard reads the card?
Pretty much this
Azz's Joker book sucked dick regardless, and for some reason THAT was the book they pulled from when making SS Joker

If you mean the Joker book where he has the Chelsea grin, I liked it.

Same opinion here

If they were going to go to one extreme I'd rather it be the completely love route instead of the completely abuseive route.

The joker actually liking Harley is better than the new 52's completely abuseive "keep a legion of Harley Quinns chained down in the basement" Joker.

The one told from the POV of his lackey, Johnny Frost. Who funny enough was in the movie

I genuinely quite liked that take on Joker.

At the very least I liked having the perspective being from the lackey

I didn't hate it but it's pretty much a shitty heath ledger impression imo

I'll never get people who claim "not muh" isn't valid criticism

You're adapting something, it should be accurate to the source material

Tell that to the MCU

See, I think the focus is too much on when he puts the smile over his own mouth, because it's most impactful when he grabs someone else's face later in the movie, so that they've got this dissonant smile over their mouth while the Joker does his crazy shtick at them.

Comics have evolved and adapted CONSTANTLY since their inception. Not MUH is a dog chit criticism with regards to comic book heroes because every writer has their own interpretation.