ITT: Dated 2000s References/Series

We can all look at Jem and think "That's so 80s" or look at Hey Arnold and go "That's so 90s". What are some 2000s series that are period pieces, that are certainly products of their time?

Kim Possible is one that comes to mind. The fashion and technology is very 2000s - 2004. Plus, I'm 20 and I barely even know what pagers are. I only remember them from when I was very young. I don't think Kim ever even used a pager in the cartoon.

Other urls found in this thread:

xkcd.com/1601/
xkcd.com/1227/.
youtube.com/watch?v=eFTLKWw542g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

isn't the kimmunicator basically a pager?

The Nutshack
Loonatics Unleashed

adventure time is the most early 10's thing ever

The Proud Family is pretty much "Black American Culture Circa 2002: The Animation". It even had a Napster episode, months after Napster died.

6teen easily

Everything that was anime-esque

pagers are 80s

smartphones are 00s

Napster is still going; Napster as a dirty word was OK right after they lost their big case because there was no way they could sue, so you could tell a file-sharing story without worrying about making up ridiculous shit, and it's not like Napster was even relevant as a file sharing program by then

The Fairly Oddparents is both a 2000s period piece and a 2010s period piece.

Early episodes like the Tron parody and Channel Chasers are very 2000s. Just look at the shows in CC: Rugrats, Blue's Clues, Dragon Ball.... Newer episodes are very 2010s dated. I saw a few of the Chloe episodes and I doubt duckfaces and smartphone games will be relevant in ten years.

How so? Earth is nit even the same, I even get weirded out when they get cars to work.

Any early 2000s show that parodied The Matrix, even Conkers Bad Fur Day referenced it

>Harry Potter, Doctor Who, Hunger Games, etc are super popular in like 2010-2013
>Millennial nerds who got picked on for liking nerdy things strike back and start finding people on the internet like them
>Ending of the "internet is for hipsters and nerds lol secret club" mentality, but still kind of there, most of these kids browse 9Gag
>Nerdy shit becomes pop culture, abstract,out there humour becomes popular
>After a few years people get bored of it, millennials are growing up
>They get lazy and don't want to actually have to read/watch things to be fans
>Drop the nerd shit and "a true fan" shit
>Eventually it dilutes into pretty much saying it's okay to be stupid
>Raunchier rap becomes pop music
>Plain clothes become popular as opposed to graphic tees
>There's a sense of sameness with normies
Tl;Dr
Pop Culture of 2010-2013: Nerdy, colourful, retro, a tad elitist but not much, comfy as shit. Popular shows are shit like Doctor Who and Merlin.
Pop Culture of 2014-present: More "adult" for lack of a better term, quiet, "it's okay to be dumb" mentality, emojis, sameness, fetty wap. Popular shows are shit like Law and Order SVU or The Flash

>Channel Chasers
>Early episode
This is either wrong or fak I'm old

Hate to break it to ya, but you're old.
and so am I

>pagers are 80s

I still use pagers at work. But I guess it's a bit different if you're in health.

okay, I'm getting old, because i had to look up what dabbing was the ofher day, and now I don't know what fetty wap is.

Behold, the ravages of age.

It's so fucking weird how the trend in the early 2010s was "BE DIFFERENT N GO AGAINST THE GRAIN" but now it's trendy to be the same as everyone else and you get a "Tf is wrong with this nigga smfh" if you don't follow all the trends.

It's also cool to be petty now, and block/beat people up for not liking the same shit you do

...y-youre right
FoP is almost 20 years old...

That internet episode was pretty early 2000's right?

Also I have a feeling Danny Phantom and America. dragon fit this, but I'm trying to come up with examples.

Doctors are the only people who still use pagers.

Is it that bad now? I haven't really been paying too much attention if so. I guess what in saying is, what is a good example of this shift?

Danny Phantom felt pretty 2000s with the Technus/internet MMO episodes. Even the fitness craze Ember episode felt like it was trying to show off a 2006 fad.

>smartphones are 00s
Smartphones are late 00s, and 10s. They were nowhere near popular until the iPhone was released in '07.

00s was more flip-phones, to be honest.

Hm, well,
2010-2013: The world felt pretty big and diverse. People liked different things, and it was cool to be nerdy. Differences weren't made fun of, either embraced or tolerated. So say you didn't go to college, but had a nice paying job at a call centre or a bank, and travelled a lot, and were genuinely happy. People would be like "Aah shit man that's cool, here's what I'm doing"
2014-Present: If you have a life like that or a PoV that lift isn't so bad, everyone jumps on you like "NIGGA YOU DONT KNOW THE FUCKIN STRUGGLE. IM OUT HERE WORKIN TWO JOBS TRYNA GRADUATE COLLEGE."

Following the crowd also became a good thing.
Everyone just feels so angry and on edge.

This. I had a fucking flip phone until this time last year.

As Told By Ginger is glaringly early 2000s. It and Mean Girls are all about popularity yet you never see any mentions of the internet.

I still don't see a use for smartphones. I only need a phone to talk to people. I've thought about updating so I can play Subway Surfers and Pokemon Go though.

It's amazing how in less than four years, there was a change in the zeitgeist that shows all the markings of a generational gap, and yet obviously isn't.

It's almost the same with people born early 90s and those born mid-90s. It's usually the latter group who are more into all this Diversity™ crap, for instance.

2010-2013: Social Media as we know it was new
2014-present: Social Media is everywhere and people learned people suck, and so all dreams of Diversity and Globalism died quickly.

Basically, the Internet forced mankind to look at itself in its entirety for the first time in history. Mankind didn't like what it saw.

I was born in '98 (18 don't worry), and when the "nerd shit is cool lol rainbows and skinny jeans" thing happened, I thought I was in the clear.

I never really kept up with trends, so it was weird going to school junior and senior year and seeing it change form that to, "Everyone is good friends with each other, everyone is exactly the same, likes the same music, everyone wears joggers and plain black t-shirts". It was weird, user.

It seems like everyone born in the early 90s/late 80s still has the "I'm gonna do my life my way and if you do it differently that's cool man. Need any help?" And people born in the late 90s are like "IM OUT HERE WORKIN TWO JOBS BAKA NIGGA"

This desu. Social media back then was in a golden stage. Not too little, not too much. You could still go about your day without putting every second on your snapchat story. Now, I see snapchat stories of girls at restaurants, and all of their friends are just on their phones, and no one is phased by it.

The "Cool until proven a cunt" mentality changed into "Don't trust you unless you can do something for me". It's like everyone tried to become a seasoned action hero.

>Literal teenager trying to be insightful about the human condition

Come on, man.

Remember back in the 90s when if you were a grown adult with too much free time then SOMETHING WAS WRONG WITH YOUR LIFE

Smartphones basically have the portability of a laptop while combining the features of things like a watch, a GPS, a phone, a calculator, etc.

Their biggest use is rendering numerous other things obsolete, because it's stupid to have like 40 other devices doing different things when you can have an omnibox that does all of those things better.

Cut the kid a slack. At least he can witness youth's current first hand. I have trouble with all this new slang like lit, bae or gub.

For all the shit Honest Trailers gets, that bit in their Fight Club vid was spot on.

You guessed my job then. But we've got some nurses with pagers too.

>pagers are 80s

And this is how I know you're a younger millenial rather than an older millenial like you're pretending to be.

Pagers were popular all the way up to the mid nineties faggot.

I was born in 91 and I've definitely noticed this. I want to know what caused this all to change. Some people have posed that it has to do with how old you when 9/11 happened, but thats US centric so I'm not sure.

The thing that bothers me most about it all is that it's cool to be angry and a passive aggressive dick now. Why?

The Boindocks comes to mind as well.

I don't need all that. If I want a calculator, I'll bring a calculator.

Overreaction became the natural response to everything. Nihilistic, "I don't give a fuck" "bad bitch" attitude took over.

One of the lyrics from Trap Queen is literally "IF U FUCK WIT MA BITCH U GON TAKE 2 TO THE HEAD"

Even though it came out in the '00s, Rocket Power is basically a '90s wet dream.
EXTREME!

I never watched the biondocks is it like smash it sam or avator:the last gasbender?

I think his point is that you'll never actually know when you might need a calculator, GPS, watch, flashlight, etc 40 other devices, so you might as well just bring one tiny one that does it all.

Shit have a dumbphone and I still pull it out all the time because I suddenly needed a calculator for some reason.

Holy shit you Leddit "le wrong generation" faggots need a fucking life.

Getting back on topic, these answers are really shitty.

Let me put it this way. If a kid born today asked you in 18 years what life and pop culture were like in 2016, you wouldn't show them an episode of Steven Universe, that wouldn't tell them anything. You also wouldn't show them nuPPG, because it's a shitty show and it's more representative of what out of touch executives think kids like.

Bojack Horseman S3 had a fantastic period piece episode about 2007 that really nailed that authentic shitty 07 flavor. Kim Possible and American Dragon are pretty good examples as well. Dammy Phantom less so, because Butch Hartman loves his stock 80s high school drama tropes too much.

What? What does that have to do with AT?

/thread

I'd show them MOBAs. I'd show them LP vids of people playing MOBAs and interacting with other MOBA players.

Oh, and tumblr.

I don't know any 2010s kids but I always thought modern kids were into their smartphones, internet memes, blah, blah. Shows like Steven Univeree and Gravity Falls feel like 90s/2000s kids with some minor modern technologies. Heck, Mabel is an 80s fangirl.

PPG oddly enough probably feels the most 2010s. Bubbles makes stupid meme references and acts like a fangirl

phil of the future tbqh senpai

they used the weirdest affects and voices.

Not Sup Forums

Danny Phantom had 2000s elements, like the clothing and Ember.

>Bojack Horseman
And he calls others ''Leddit''

I'm 24 and was in college when this shift you guys talk about apparently happened, and I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

The years around 2010 were just as vapid as they are now. There is barely any difference aside from the proliferation of more internet-based jokes and culture. People were are still welcome and encouraged to be different, but only on an ostensible level. That's why you have all these people trying to outdo each other on Instagram, Tinder and the like, because being different is what gets you followers.

Yeah, you've got dabbing and Fetty Wap now, but you had the dougie and Lil Wayne back then. Mainstream culture has been completely hollow with a different shade of paint over it since the 80s, when the corporate climate changed in favor of formulaic, guaranteed profits rather than organic growth through consumer-focused practices. The Internet has just gave the new shade of paint a striped pattern.

You're replying to kids. Everyone thinks the world magically changed after their formative years.

>because being different is what gets you followers
Not really. Most everyone on social media who's really popular does the exact same thing. It's more like being different became the mainstream so boring one is different any more

I acknowledge that I'm probably being really "back in my day" here, but back in my day, fans didn't drive creators off social media. They didn't drive other fans to suicide based on what harmless thing they liked. They didn't jump at the first chance to completely disown and ostracize someone for the smallest thing. Some people just want to blame the SJW for ruining everything, but I think it's deeper than that. Young fans now are different than the young fans 6 years ago.

I also recognize this is nothing new because cultural shift like this is completely normal.

It was always "cool" to be a vapid, jaded narcissist who thought they figured life out and hated everything while being "comically sardonic".

This isn't new in any sense of the word. And sure as shit is still obnoxious to everyone else as it was whenever it first hit off.

I miss early 2000s fashion.
People forget so easily how good cargo pants looked on girls

Holy fuck this. I'm 20 and I couldn't wait for high school and middle school for that. I saw it freshman year and it was only with juniors or seniors. I came up right at the start of skinny jeans and trip pants. I just wanted to live freaks and geeks

We need another 9/11, and an even bigger one.

It did, is the Mandela effect, they are falling to worse and worse realities.

The early acts of Homestuck, the good parts of the comic, chronicle the twilight of the Web 1.0 days. The Internet used to be an untamed frontier where people who didn't have much going for them offline could forge meaningful bonds of friendship, and to this day, Homestuck is the most faithful, honest, and relatable depiction of Internet friendships in media I've ever seen. Now, the last half of Homestuck, where shit starts going downhill and staying there, will soon enough be a dated collection of references to the dawn of Web 2.0. The difference in quality of the two halves of the comic mirrors my opinion of Web 1.0 and Web 2.0. I really do miss the way things were, I miss the virtual cowboys, I miss our refuge from the normies. But I think I would admit, when all is said and done, that the normalization of the Internet was necessary. It just needs to be something better than what it is right now.

You're forgetting that rich people had Palm Pilots and Blackberries too. It just didn't catch on for normies until the iPhone.

That Razr fad was awful though, I literally never got a flip phone. Fuck those ugly things.

No, manchildren like you are the ones who need to get a life.

I have a fucking job and take good care of my family, what the fuck do you do, you sad virgin?

Oh, god, I forgot about 6teen
I only recall seeing it on Nickelodeon

Flip phones are awesome though. I'm still waiting for a smart phone that uses that format. I hate carrying around something with an exposed screen especially on the job when I know stuff's going to be smashing against my pocket.

Doctors still use pagers

Another '98 fag here (also 18)

Everyone, every single generation always says things like "this new generation is awful/different and kids have changed these days." See xkcd.com/1601/ and xkcd.com/1227/.

I would need evidence to back this up, but really people never change. It's never been really popular for people to really be really really original or go against the grain too much. Like, it's good to make original content and ideas within the culture, but you shouldn't be going out on your own and doing weird stuff. You're either going to be way behind or ahead of everyone else culture-wise if you do that. That's how it's always been. It's not like there was some switch that flipped in the early 2010s or whatever and suddenly everyone wanted everyone else to be like them.

People have always been like this, it's just so much more visible now than it was before due to social media being everywhere. Everyone wants to blame it on the SJWs or the redditors or Sup Forumstards or whatever, but all of those groups are pretty much the same, they all have witchhunts, they all have slight NPD... The only real difference are the specific cultural memes and ideas they talk about.

We're all the same on the inside, the only difference is that now you can read about someone who lives halfway across the world. I think comes the closest to what's really going on, just that it didn't start in the 80s, culture was always like that.

Skinny jeans are terrible, you get neither the sexiness of legs or the chest/torso emphasizing power of cargos and flares.

skinny jeans are mostly for girls to show off ass it doesn't work on guys who don't usually have asses for them.

The first two seasons of Static Shock is very late 90s early 2000s

I thought the Bojack episode was a parody of period piece episodes. How they always just awkwardly force in the most obvious pop culture references in a really unnatural way.

Yo dawg, it is all about the big baby booms and the marketing surrounding it.

The 1950's was when this "mass marketing culture" came to be. After the war, housing became affordable, nuclear families and television controlled the family dynamic and mass marketing started to evolve, which pushed people to conform and buy the same plastic shit as everyone else. Since so many people were having children in the late 40's - 50's, the baby boomers became what most of the marketing focused on. The rebellion against this conformity took hold in the 60's, following this age trend until the 70's were the marketing became really mature and adult. However, the next generation (gen x) born in the 70's was the last biggest one because of the mainstream acceptance of birth control methods the came after this time. Marketing in the 80's turned back to a 50's mentality to follow gen x'ers as well as because of Reagan and the rise in conservatism. The 90's were like the 60's as rebellion against this, aimed at teens and college age gen x'ers. Movies like "This is 40" in 2012 are made to market at these gen x'ers.

If you follow the trend in birth rates, the marketing and culture makes perfect sense over time. The next trend will follow the millenials born in the 90's as shown in this chart.

>That internet episode was pretty early 2000's right?
Oh god, back in the day with Scooby Doo Cyber Chase where writers trying to make stories off technology like computers and video games was popular.

>The spike in 1972
>"This is 40" made in 2012

"Millenial" refers to 80s babies too

The graph shows the 80's and the spike in early 90's was the last high birth rates for a while, so you are definitely right in that regard.

Da Boom Crew

>razrs are aweful
Poorfag who couldn't afford the sexiest phone design detected.

I wonder how much you could recreate the first Matrix film just by editing 00's references of it together together .

Everything you're talking about can be attributed to technology advancing instead of people changing.

Also, internet harassment is not new, SA used to have a forum dedicated to it.

>Also, internet harassment is not new
Seems to be a lot more "mainstream" now though.

Smartphones got big in late 00's but it's definitely very 10's.

clone high

What about WBB instead of nuPPG? I've heard it's not as bad while still containing a crap load of 10's references.

>an 18 year old is lecturing about generational culture changes.
Please teach us wise sage.

What I really hate about modern phones is the touch screen keyboards. Physical keyboards felt so much more intuitive.

At least the people harassing each other back then were other super-nerds.

Now it's just any random overzealous elementary/middle schooler with a smartphone making "sick burns" when they're supposed to be fucking learning in class.

In terms of references? I don't think it counts, it makes up it's own slang and shit, which is mostly retarded. Shit like...

>"Shmao-wow! That was totally math, but the rest was total butts. I'm starved, let's go get our munchichi's on!"

Thats because the internet is more mainstream now.

Why does it matter who does it? It's still happening and it's been happening for a long time.

sick burns?
still happening?
youtube.com/watch?v=eFTLKWw542g

This is probably what I miss most of the 2000s and what is so difficult to depict. The internet was smaller and while popular, the bulk of internet culture did not come from 'the masses' or mainstream but from a smaller subsect of the the population. There was a greater emphasis on anonymity and/or screen names and interacting with strangers in disparate communities. Those small communities got gobbled up and consolidated and people now are more apt to use their real names and use the internet to augment their interactions with people they already know. The internet is simultaneously bigger (more people) and smaller (people visit fewer sites). Were I a young teen now I'm not really sure how I'd go about making friends online, my younger cousins pretty much only communicate with people they already know in school save for one became he games. So I'd agree Homestuck is a great representation of this, mirroring my own teenaged online friendships and while I'm glad to have been able to experience it I'm also sad that its aging into a relic of the era.

on smartphones: The iPhone didn't drop till mid 2007 and Android didn't drop till late 2008 so smartphones are *very* late 2000s. When I graduated in 2011 the most common phone was still a slider.

"Millennial" is fucking stupid. They keep changing the year limits. According to some dumb studies and op-eds I'm squarely in the Millennial camp and according to others I share so little in common with the definition I'm more apt to be the next youngest generation.

When people on Sup Forums reference or rant about "millennials" (i.e. "millennials don't know what this is [insert 90s/early 2000s things that millennials clearly know about]", "millennials are spoiled", "millennials are quivering teen tranny twinks" ignoring the fact that most millennials are 20-30 and not teenagers), they are always insulting *just* the tail-end Millennials. Saying "millennials" is just simpler and catchier than saying "late millennials" or "ending millennials".

Earlier millennials (born 1980-1994) grew up pre-9/11 and played outside. Older millennials grew up without social networking, smartphones, and wifi. They can remember when it was ok to homophobic publicly. They knew what things were like before the world was flooded with east european immigrants. They are more right wing than other generations, more likely to start their own business or be self employed than other youth generations. They grew up having crushes on Britney spears, Christina aguilera, Sailor moon, Misty, and Dark magician girl - having crushes on girls is something that any normal boy who's not mentally ill should have. They actually look like men and have testosterone, unlike the end millennials.

Tail-end millennials (born 1995-2000) grew up in the post-9/11 society and seem to be effeminate, promote SJW shit more than older millennials, and they also shout memes in real life. They don't remember life before the Interent and social networking. They are mostly quivering twink mealymouthed faggots and transgenders. They grew up having crushes on Justin bieber and Harry styles, not girls, because the liberal media told them it was "cool" to be effeminate and "experimental". They are the liberal brainwashed, lazy ass, entitled degenerate fucknuggets that you see on news stories or comedy shows about college campuses.

See the difference?

t. guy who was born in 1994

You guys aren't even talking about cartoons anymore.

Anyway, Foster's Home has some references to Wii's and NGC's but otherwise it feels timeless. It could be set in the 80s, 90s, or 2000s.

You must admit, there's a clear difference. Most of the forum posts I've read, as well as sociologists and researchers, say 1995 is the clear birth year where there's a breaking point.

The Internet first came into the public consciousness and mainstream popularity in 1995. Those born from 95-2000 were literally born "on top of" the Internet, and it affected their upbringing real badly.

There's a difference, but it's not as simple as your post claims even if you ignore the insane amounts of projecting in it.

>Earlier millennials (born 1980-1994) grew up pre-9/11 and played outside.

They also act like 80 year old men telling kids to get off their lawn despite being in their 20s and 30s.

We Bare Bears has a homophone character almost obsessed with being popular on social media, several episodes based around a koala character who is a literal meme, and so many hipsters it's actually set in San Francisco. Pretty decent show desu but it'll be really dated a few years down the road.