Why is The Killing Joke regarded as a masterpiece?

Why is The Killing Joke regarded as a masterpiece?

Normies with shit taste and manchildren who were shocked to see le dark and edgy in comics for the first time ever.

Because it's very good.

A better question would be whether all the recent hate everywhere is just normies being shit taste plebs and reading it for the first time but reading is boring so itsucks?, or is it some braindead identity politics meme nonsense.

Alan Moore is like, one of the top 5 comic books writers in history

And he hates it.

The original comic was pretty bad... filled with mysoginy and the like

It was groundbreaking in its day but that doesn't mean it's aged particularly well.

Because there are people who will put anything with Alan Moore's name on it on a pedestal. Fuck, Alan Moore doesn't even like it much, and admits he dashed it out in a hurry. It's got some interesting ideas, like the Joker thinking that everyone is horrible and all it takes is a sufficiently bad day to get pretensions of civility to fall away, and the Joker's origin shifting around on his whim, but both of those are handled better in The Dark Knight anyway.

Because it's a one-off, and it's good. Whether there have been better Batman stories is almost irrelevant, because you're gonna have to wade through a bunch of shit before to get to them, because of the serial nature of comics. But the Killing Joke just works with a very basic understanding of Batman, and has a clear arc to it. That means casuals and critics can pick it up, read it, and instantly appreciate it.

ONLY SEX!
N
L
Y

S
E
X
!

>And he hates it.

No he hates that it helped create the whole grimderp vein of comics that followed

>mysoginy is wrong
toplel

meme

No, he hates it. He likes Watchmen, but hates that it created grimderp; he fucking hates the Killing Joke.

He also hates himself.

But do you think it is "deep" as people claim or anything? If I was an edgy 15 year old I would thought it was genius but the plot is actually kind of dumb.

Because Alan Moore made it so grimhurrr that he didn't think it would be published.

And then they published it.

And angsty teens were like 'fuck, let's make the next ten years of comics like this shit!'

It's not grimdark at all.
You're probably a shit person.

Alan Moore

It's not a bad story at all, it's just highly overrated because of Moore's popularity after Watchmen

Your post shows that you are definitely a casual.

There's like 3 phases i've noticed in people when they read this

Phase 1 is reading and thinking it's so cool and dark and Smart
Phas

I used to love this book, until I heard Alan Moore hated it.

Now I don't like it anymore.

THIS!

It was important to what Batman is now.

It is however crap.

The "Joker tells a joke so funny durr hur that batman laughs after his partner is paralyzed and raped, and his best friend is tortured, lmao, that's so funny, joker is lucid for a moment, lol.

that shit is terrible writing.

Don't know. It's a good story but hardly mind-blowing.

>Raped

Nice meme

>raped

>partner

It's excellently written, set a bit of a standard for the lengths the joker will go to.

Probably because its the best Joker origin story, has the big shock moment of Babs being crippled, has quite frankly gorgeous artwork (though I'm biased because I think Bolland is one of the best in the biz) and because, no mater what Moore says, it isn't a shit story overall

Its incredibly overrated but for a long time it was pretty much the most heinous thing Joker had done.

I think ultimately its so beloved because it was the first Joker story that properly lived up to the promise of the Joker as a character. I mean we're told he's evil, he kills a whole bunch of people, but this was the first time he really properly did anything really properly evil to anyone of consequence. Well, that and killing Jason Todd which happened around the same time. Joker was on a roll so to speak, properly back as a menacing force and this was the better of the two main stories of the time

Why are niggers allowed to have HUMAN rights despite being obsolete species? (not calling them a race because that implies those monkey coons are human)

i laffed

It came out during that time with Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns. Was one of the comics that really pushed the envelope. Joker cripples Batgirl, then tries to torture Gordon into insanity. It helps it was a genuinely well written comic. But as time went on it got controversy over the treatment of Barbara, as many people felt she was just a device in the film, and her getting crippled was only used to cause drama for the main characters. Consult "Stuffed in the Fridge" on Tv Tropes. Alan Moore actually does feel bad he didn't give much focus to Barbara and how she was affected.

People like Gail Simone have actually shit on the comic for its treatment of Barbara. So it does have a sort of broken pedestal now where the controversy over it will just hang on it forever.

Met moore outside an argos
gave him a pen

chill guy