Superman Thread

Hey, Sup Forums. Let's have a thread celebrating the definitive superhero, SUPERMAN!

Let's talk about our favorite stories, favorite moments, what you like most about him, why is he such an inspirational and archetypal character, etc.

Post Superman!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-JPSui9nR2g
mediafire.com/folder/y8sy2269pvgzy/Superman
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Wait if Henshaw's mission was succesful, then who was the n52 cyborg superman? If my memory doesn't fail he was brainiac-related, but I'd be glad if someone who read about him can clarify.

Zor EL Kara father, still Cyborg Superman

Now that Kenan's book has outsold Superdad's how long before we get a Kenan and Kal-El book?

Since this is about specific scenes, could anyone post the kingdom come scene where superman returns? Never got to read it, but heard quite a lot about it.

Can´t say what I like most about him. When I first read a comic of him and watched the cartoons he just clicked with me. He was kinda like the good guy one didn´t want to disappoint for me.

Please recommend me a good story where Superman doesn't punch anything to win. All I hear is "Superman is good when he's not punching things!" but no suggestions.

Favorite moment:

Nu52 Action Comics # 17, the conversation with Pa Kent and future Clark. Why couldn't we get THAT Johnathan on screen? WHY!

Superbro, gone but not forgotten

Lets say you're in charge of a completely new Superman movie; you're calling all the shots.

How do you do it?

The ladies love Superman.

Death of Superman. Rake in BILLIONS

BVS didn't.

I would base parts of it on Morrison's New 52 Action Comics run. Although I'm tempted to add Landis' Proto-Superman outfit just for fun.

I panel for panel adapt Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes from Johns' run

>Kenan and Kal-El

Meh.... this guy has always been boring to me. He's like the Christianity of superheroes where it's always bright and shiny outside and everyone's smiling and being kind and polite to each other. Fucking boring. Give me a guy like Wolverine. Give me a guy like Silver Surfer. Hell, give me a guy like Inspector Gadget. Superman is just too powerful for me to care about.

At least Goku has to go through different phases of orgasms to achieve great power. But Superman is simply just.... ---powerful--- ..... without even trying. Boring.

Easy. I either do one of two things:

>set the movie a few years into Superman's career. He's already been Superman for a bit now, and the movie has him take on something like Brainiac or something. More importantly, I restore several concepts that were missing in the DCEU, like the Superman/Lois Lane/Clark Kent love triangle, and I get a Lois who has a sarcastic sense of humor, a lot of moxie, and is actually pretty badass. I also make/write a Lex who's closer to the actual comic books than any other Lex Luthor: he's bald, he's mean, brutish, yet sophisticated, and badass as hell. The tone would be lighter and more fun than the DCEU but certainly not campy either.

>Or, I basically do the above, but make it ostensibly more of an origin story and base it off of Morrison's nu52 Action Comics run, while also including the Legion of Super-Heroes and making it a backdoor pilot for a LoSH movie.

That faggotry won't last

Why do people think this supes was an edgelord?

I blame the JL: War movie

> I blame the JL: War movie
I absolutely hated that iteration of Superman. They turned him from SUPERMAN to....the team jock.

found the pleb

>favorite stories
I love a whole bunch of them, but I'm going to say pic related.

>favorite moments
Issue #6 of All-Star, his eulogy to Pa Kent.

>what you like most about him
His kindness and his willingnesss to do the right thing.

>why is he such an inspirational and archetypal character
You said it yourself, OP, he's the definitive superhero, his appearance and personality clicked with so many that whenever they even think of the word "superhero", they usually think of Supes.

This is the most casual thing I read the whole day. Oh Mongul says hi.

They feel for the glowing eye cover meme.

There were some downsides of course (like I'd agree that Pak's stuff was kind of flawed in the fact that Clark never really got a clean win) but Superbro was an alright guy.

>aaaaaaww here it goes
youtu.be/-JPSui9nR2g

fell for*

my bad

Art is a little meh but I really love the idea that he just invites his friends from the future over for dinner or w/e. Probably helps them out with something in the future and then goes "oh, and Lois said you guys could come over for dinner next friday if you want to".

What's this page from?

one of the Action Comics annuals, maybe 2010?

I'll probably post the first issue of Morrison.s AC.

One of my all time favorite stories would have to be Superman Annual# 11. It was a great mixture of drama and action. It showed that even someone like Superman has a breaking point, and Mongul was extremely badass.

Action Comics #900, IIRC.

When was the last time Mongul was allowed to be a badass? Everything went downhill after he meets with Henshaw

He was pretty boss that time he got Yellow Lantern rings. He was also pretty badass in each of his appearances in the Sinestro books.

Silver Surfer is pretty close to superman in terms of personality, and even stronger in power.

Yupp, Action Comics #900. The issue also includes Luthor's ultimate character moment, a short and depressing Krypton related story, a story about some kind of omniscient space hippo, a very political story about stuff, and the earlier mentioned Legion story which is like 3 pages long.

Mark Strong should have been Luthor

Red glowing eyes was a thing before the new 5 and even the rebirth version had a red eyed superman cover.

Since I can't do proper storytimes for awhile, I'll do some quickies like this.

>Since I can't do proper storytimes for awhile
How come, Tex?

is it time for doggo?

Extremely busy work schedule.

Krypto is underrated as fuck.

>tfw my dog is about to die of age related complications
th-thanks user ;_;

>You'll never have a dog that God keeps rewriting out of your life because sales are down, so we need to reboot the universe.

thanks for the feels

They should have keep the beard.
He looked better with a beard

Super man is a mary sue.
(But he pulls it off)

This to me is the canon ending to Superman's story.

I prefer the golden ending.
just seems like the prefect happy ending for the guy

i unironically think iris elba would make a perfect lex luthor

So Superman is wearing the dark costume in Justice League. What is that, exactly? Was there a reason for it?

Favorite Incarnation of Superman...
>Dceu
>Tas
Favorite Superman outfit...
>Mos
Favorite Lois Lane...
>Dceu
>Tas
Favorite Superman Villain...
>Faora (mos & new 52 only)
Favorite Incarnation's of Lex...
>Tas
>Lex Luthor - Man of Steel
Favorite Incarnation of Braniac
>Tas
Favorite Incarnation of Metallo
>Tas
>Favorite stories...
off the top of my head.
The Krypto focused issue part of which was story timed in this thread.

He wore this upon his return from the dead in the comics.

he got resurrected in a black suit in the 90s

Yes, but also Man of Steel and shitty first impressions.

I've always loved Superman, ever since I was a boy. I remember first watching the old Fleischer cartoons which introduced me to the character.

But Mos wasn't edgy in anyway nor was he jockish or dickish like in JL War.

supermullet or bust

Can someone recommend me a good story arc, except All star and red son?

I'll do you a few better.

mediafire.com/folder/y8sy2269pvgzy/Superman

This is a list of Superman comics I got as suggestions to storytime once upon a time. The AC 0-18 in there is Grant Morrison's run on Action Comics for the New 52.

Not saying it's the definitive or exhaustive list but those were generally well agreed to be solid Superman stories.

superman: earth one

batman: earth one is p cool too

Seconding Morrison's run on Action Comics in the New 52

You're in the minority on that opinion. I'm not going to bother arguing it for another three years.

NO DO NOT READ THIS

The destruction in the film could be considered edgy, but nothing about his personality was such that is a provable fact.

For a given value of "fact", I'm sure you believe that.
But for many other people, Sullen Superman isn't much better than Douchebag Jock Superman. They're both shitty choices.

But he is sullen because the world is horrible & treats him bad.
How the the fuck is that in the same territory as him choosing to be a arrogant douche that treats other people badly?

My favorite villain would have to be Mongul. I really like him for what he's done and the potential for what he can do. I feel like he's the perfect alien nemesis for Superman. When he was first created, he was meant to be physically superior to Superman. By a wide margin in fact. When they had their first 1 v 1, Mongul utterly destroyed the Man of Steel. The next time they fought, Superman required they aid of the Legion of Superheroes. I just hope that one of these days we can get a great Superman vs Mongul story with much love and respect for the characters.

People are douches because the world is horrible, or people are sad because the world is horrible. Either way, people want to feel good about Superman. Those portrayals didn't deliver that to huge portions of the audience. These versions of Superman have the perception of focusing on the negative parts of the character and/or humanity as a whole, and when you do that you lose the optimistic humanism that many consider the root of the character/franchise's appeal.

You're welcome to disagree, and I'm sure you've been doing so for going on three years, but that's all I'm gonna say on the matter because I'm fucking tired of this conversation after all that time.

Honestly I could see either.

My personal pick would be Billy Zane though.

We get a dark, complex, but genuinely "cool" Lex who gets a lot of great moments and some great lines.

I'm gonna be printing out a bunch of dope art and covering my old-ass comic boxes in them. Anyone else got some cool pics to post?

>Superman is invincible

As a Superman fan, this is the thing about this character I hate hearing the most.

>normie the post

Source?

I'm a sucker for the Superman/Lois Lane OTP.