What am I in for?

What am I in for?

It's enjoyable enough. Don't take your cues from this joyless shithole, though. It's an old school-ish Hollywood musical set today. If your opinions have already been poisoned by this place, though, then I suppose the point is moot.

An average musical that also has a tendency to masturbate Los Angeles and its population like their gods gift from the heavens.

I can't believe this won best cinematography. The entire movie felt so fake and contrived holy shit it was like watching one giant hollywood set piece

Dishonest film-making.

Fun little musical. It's nothing special but it certainly is very feel-good.

Of course, if you're one of the idiots here who think a film has to be avant-garde to the extremes to be enjoyable you won't like it, but I think you could tell that by the cover and the name.

One of the most cogent thoughts I've ever read in this place

I'm pretty sure that was the point.. I hope you are just memeing

thanks guys

I thought it was a rather shallow tribute to old school musicals. I found myself getting annoyed by the whole thing and how wink wink it was with the audience. It's a weak pastiche imo and I found it more annoying than entertaining. Some of the songs were good though and I'm definitely still singing them. I liked the dance sequence at the end and I wish the film threw away the winking and was more sincere. Also, Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone, whilst having amazing chemistry, are weak at dancing and singing (both of which there wasn't enough of in the film btw).

After watching this film I immediately went home and watched "singing in the rain" for the first time. Completely superfluous ending sequence and perenially smug Gene Kelly aside, that film was far more accomplished.

Anyway those are my rambling thoughts. So many people like this film, I am sure you will too. I didn't.

Not really my cup of tea from a plot or character standpoint but it's a technically wonderful movie. The way the movie is so well-crafted and superbly filmed and produced is really exceptional, Chazelle absolutely deserved that Oscar

thank you for taking the time

The cinematic equivalent of feeling like you need to sneeze for ten minutes, but not being able to sneeze.

I GOT THE BULLETZ

The musical numbers are shit but the movie itself is good

If you are focused on the individual pieces and how they connect as a whole, you'll probably think it's ehh.
if you're more about the general idea of the movie and the overall feeling of each scene, you will probably like it

People who don't like the movie will say that Ryan Gosling's character is pretentious and too obsessed with how great the past was.
People who liked the movie will say they're completely right, but they get why he feels that way

People who don't like the movie will say the ending was bad because it was a guy "saving" jazz instead of moving on with the times. Most people who dislike the movie will like Keith's character way more than Seb.
People who like the movie will say that's not really the point, it's about losing something in exchange for something else

basically, if you're more emotional, you'll probably like it, if you're more logical, you probably won't care for it.

that was deliberate

i liked the movie for what it was, not really a musical buff but i liked the musical scenes, opening scene was awesome and my favorite part.

Who was Keith?
The boring guy Frogface ends up with in the end?
Or the boring one Frogface breaks up with to begin with?

no the black guy who made better jazz music than Seb
you know the electric kind that has been made since the 70s, but Seb somehow thinks is newfangled

Every action emma takes she does so only for herself. Notice that right at the beginning by how her friends convince her into going to the party

It was slow in that nothing of consequence happens for a long time.

Like most movies coming out recently it's a masterbation of style and reference

This movie was pretty bad. Can't believe I was memed into watching it. I watched it with family too. Couldn't believe they just sat there with this big fat smile on their faces the whole time.

Oh I guess the movie does suck then

first 25min are absolute kino

A lot of pretentious writing trying to convince you that being successful is bad if you don't become successful by following your dreams.

A bollywood movie.

Be fair, Bollywood movies have much more heart and honesty than La La Land.

People saying its a tribute to old school musicals are missing the point of the movie. It's a critique of the sort of fantasy world that those movies and Hollywood itself perpetuates, which it demonstrates through the lens of a traditional Old Hollywood musical underpinned by a thematic cynicism of modernity which permeates every aspect of the film. Take the opening for example, it's a big flashy song and dance number, but at the end people get back into their honking prius's and trickle through the traffic. That's the essence of the film, it's a stage-show without a curtain, you get to see the untidy sprawl underneath all the glitz and glamour of Hollywood.

That's why Seb and Mia make the choices they do, and that's why the ending is important. Because you can't have it all, and if you're lucky you'll only get some of it. Love and passion aren't the same, and as much as the world might tell you to follow your dreams, eventually everyone wakes up. And you have to make your peace with that, you have to understand that it's okay to fail and to not be completely happy. That's what the final shot is all about.

Hell, it's even in the name. La La Land, both the name of Hollywood and a term for a state of fantasy. The film is both a reference to love and an expose on its impossibilities. It's a beautifully crafted film, and I honestly think it's going to be remembered in 50 years time as one of the best of the 21st Century.

Can someone explain why Seb wanted a chicken on a stick?

actually, last 25 min are absolute kino

Actors who can't sing dance or act. Dishonesty in motion.

This

It was a really good film but everyone here had to listen to normies rave about it so they are getting really buttmad over the movie. I don't think Chazelle was setting out to make a masturbatory film that fetishized LA. He happened to make a successful film in Whiplash so this movie received a lot more attention.

>I don't think Chazelle was setting out to make a masturbatory film that fetishized LA.
But he openly stated in every interview that this was exactly the film's intended purpose? He wouldn't shut up about how it was "An ode to those Hollywood musicals of old," "An Ode to the city of Angels," an ode to this, an ode to that. It's like capeshit but for Hollywood folk rather than comic book nerds.

He literally made Whiplash so that studios would finance this

Emma Stone has herpes and is human waste.

How could your opinions be poisoned by this shithole when no one ever provides arguments ?

white people shit

A shitshow.