This is the Leonis Adobe, the oldest building in my city. It was built in the 1840s by a wealthy Mexican rancher...

This is the Leonis Adobe, the oldest building in my city. It was built in the 1840s by a wealthy Mexican rancher. Now it's a tourist attraction. The entire street is full of modern businesses whose storefronts are made to look like old timey 1800s stores.

>The entire street is full of modern businesses whose storefronts are made to look like old timey 1800s stores.
I hate how american cities do this

Oldest building here is a church from 1068 but no one cares about it

my house was built in the 1790s
my "high school" was built in 1510
my university in 1096

Give it back.

No

That's Spanish for no

>Family is 9th generation Los Angeleno
>Dads family was one of the original Mexican families who received a land grant
>Several generations of Basque and Tongvan mestizos
>US annexes California
>Supposed to honor land grants
>Great great great great grandfather is literally "too rich" from successfully farming cows and sheep Anglo settlers can't compete
>American gov doesn't like that they're chummy with the Natives either
>Refuses to honor land grand even though all the documentation says it should be honored
>Can't do anything about it because lol Mexican
>Government takes most of the land
>Great great great great grandfather ends up re-buying most of the land as private property
>Fast forward 100 years
>California government starts seizing land family owns under imminent domain laws
>Pays great grandparents only 10% of actual market value
>City then sells it to company that will supposedly build affordable housing
>Ends up building expensive 6 bedroom luxury homes
>Family tries to buy some of them but redlining is now a thing
>Family just goes into engineering and finance instead for a generation
>German family friend tells great grandparents he's down for them to buy buildings under his name as long as he gets to live in one for free
>Redlining ends, dude is super cool and sells them all to family sans his home and one retail location for $1
>Now our family re-owns a bunch of housing and retail locations in on our former land in North East LA and Pasadena and my grandparents make mega bucks charging douchey hipsters $2400 per month for single room apartments
>They bitch about price gouging and high rent sometimes but now political correctness is a thing

Mitt Romney 2020

It doesn't even look that old. The only giveaways are maybe the doors, the lack of ornamentation makes it look almost timeless. That said, I'm okay with buildings trying to keep an aesthetic, otherwise you end up with a feeling of unaesthetic anachronism.

Here a wealthy old far made a mini city that was supposed to resemble old eurppean cities from literature

due to earthquakes destroying everything every two decades, the oldest building is only from 1572, and it’s not even the original one

is this a pasta?

No. Actual family history. Feel free to pasta it if you want.

My house was built in 1860. Do I win something?

How would a properly old building look?

I'm not saying it doesn't look old, I'm saying that it's usually the details and ornamentation that can tell you the era and sometimes even the place it was built on. The building in OP is almost minimalistic, not too different from buildings I've seen built a few years ago.
Neoclassical, Victorian, Art Deco, Baroque, you can tell each one by the details on the facade.
Buildings with no ornamentation are not something new, they've existed throughout history, but that's the reason you can't really determine when they're from. They could be 10 or 100 years old.

Is that in LA?

give it back wh*Te subhuman

Calabasas, a suburb outside of LA.

Ah, okay.

The age of the white man is over, the time of the brown man has come.

Oldest building here is a church built by a veteran from the Varangian guards of the Byzantine Empire who came back home. Pretty cool when you ask me. It's fromewhere around 1050.

Pictured is 16th century from Mexico

I agree the style is a bit eclectic and hard to call but the outside woodwork looks American to me in style and I suspect was a later addition as the adobe was built in the Mexican period proper. The roof tiles do look as what you'd expect to find in Mexico but the building is unusual in that it's got relatively low ceilings even for a two storey plan, high ceilings being necessary to mantain the home fresh in hot weather, as you can see in the house pictured. I used to live in a 19th century house and it had such high ceilings despite not being an originally luxurious home, so that is unusual for such a large house. Another oddity is the inside is fully panneled in wood, whereas in more traditional Mexican construction you'd only find it in floating wooden floors and likely in exposed roof beams, this is because whether using adobe or lime mortar as in traditional Spanish construction the point was to allow the house to "breath" for temperature control as well.

Now obviously in the old West you worked with what you had at hand and was practical which along with later 19th century additions make the house a bit of an oddball, but more interesting because of it as an expert can probably date the different aspects to specific periods, most old buildings tend to be like that.

But it's a museum/tourist attraction. They wouldn't lower the ceilings.

No, what I meant was it was made that way on purpose, probably because of American influence tho it could have just been it was more practical to build that way. Many of the old houses you find in small pueblos don't have ceilings that high but it's usually more like what we would today consider lower middle class and working class homes which would be unusual for a large stand alone like the adobe, so that was either early Anglo influence or their being "modern" it certainly doesn't look like an hacienda.

What I'm getting at is that what you've got there is pure Cali, there might be a few homes like that in northwestern Mexico but that would be because of proximity to the US.

Oh, okay. That makes perfect sense.