Lets talk money

Does anyone know how the revenue of a movie works? I'm confused because when I look at the Warcraft film's wikipedia page it says Budget $160 million and Box office profit $433.7 million. Yet I find articles like this one stating that the the movie is going to lose them $15 to $40 million. hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-analysis-warcraft-avoids-910268

Does the budget not including marketing and all the external production costs?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_accounting
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Domestic vs foreign

Chinese money isn't worth anything. Also, getting it back into the US incurs multiple tax-like penalties which aren't called taxes. So, things might get shifted around a bit. You may hear this called Hollywood accounting, but it's really just business. If a movie only makes money in China it's a piece of shit.

Nice dubs. Care to clarify?

"You’re almost better off just making it for the Chinese audience,"

RLM was right once again.

Interesting. How did you learn about this? I never knew that ... I always assumed the non-domestic profits were taxed like profits in the U.S. ... just for whatever country the film was playing in

studio only gets a part from the box office profit and how much exactly depends on the region.

blizzard also took their 10% cut + the marketing which was absolutely terrible (pic related) but probably expensive anyway.

marketing must really have been terrible, i didnt even know of this movie until i saw this thread.

Honestly that shit was everywhere. I don't know how you could have missed it. Literally Warcraft commercials on everything nonstop desu

Its made by Chinese companies, Universal contributed to budget but it was a really small amount. Also it was markted by Universal in the States and its marketing campaign was horrendous compared to worldwide marketing(there is trailer and promo material comparisons of domestic and foreign marketing). It made a lot of money worldwide but didnt make anything domestically. Also all the money it made in China went straight back in to the producers pockets since the owner of Legendary also owns 95% of theaters in China.

This movie is the first victim of Hollywoods hate boner against China. Its quality was on par with any capeshit(even better than half the Marvel movies too).As a result of shitty marketing and paid off critics that insulted the fanbase of the game turned your average movie goer away from it. Although they really didnt need critics to criticize the fanbase of the games since Im sure a lot of people in US have heard of WoW and its neckbeard fanbase.

>Domestic $47,365,290
>Foreign $386,311,893
>China $213,541,452

Gooks, not even once.

Domestic movies live and die by domestic gross. Big studios have good distribution deals or distribute the movies themselves so they can keep a bigger cut of the total gross of the movie. Whatever the movie makes overseas, the cut of the studio depends on the distribution deal. China is famous for only allowing 25% of the gross to go back to the US

WoW that's a brutal cut .. at LEAST more than 75%! Damn.

Not directly related, but how the fuck does Netflix not put all these movie theaters out of business? Is it happening slowly but surely? I feel like Valerian bombed recently because the people who would like that movie at the same neckbeards that are too lazy to go to the theater. Wouldn't some online or TV release just be better nowadays?

What happens when the movie is made by China?

hollywood accounting

They have a good distribution deal in China and a shit one everyone else, including the US.

It's in progress. Also, Netflix movies quality is rarely high

The Jews in Hollywood regularly screw over the Jews on wall street, enough said

it's called hollywood accounting, but it isnt limited to there.
many businesses shuffle things around and put money here or there to reduce reported profits. it can lessen the amount they have to pay in taxes or lower what they have to pay out.

it's a funny thing in business, you can fail to make a profit on something but you can still make money off of it.

I think in 80 years cinema will probably die, unless it does something. more creative control for directors, more comfort for the audience. the cinema experience is certainly nice, but watching movies at the comfort of your own home or anywhere you like is probably more preferable.

movie theatres and tv will go in the way of the circus. they killed the circus in the 1950s, and now they're finally getting theirs, slowly, but surely.

I think 80 years is too much time. I mean, only 10 years ago the iPhone 1 wasn't even out yet and a lot of people still had flip phones. I do agree with you that slowly but surely is happening though.

>theatres and tv
Why did you lump Sup Forums in with theaters when at first you seem to be implying that improving Sup Forums and streaming technology is killing the cinemas or are you implying some kind of projector or holograph technology is on the way?

if its an ameircan made movie, showing up in american cinemas, the production gets like 90% or smth similar of the total profit.
in foreign countries, there are taxes, governments take %, etc and it drops up to total of ~20% profit in some countries like china(despite being the largest market on earth)

Warcraft actually made good money considering it went huge mainly in China and Legendary is a chink studio

>war(craft) isn't the only option

even their poster asks people to watch something else

Hollywood movies always lose money on purpose. They actually make huge profits but they hide it with a counting tricks for fax purposes.

Warcraft made money just not a huge amount. Hollywood wanted it to be a new cape abit universe and it was profitable but niche and dependant on the unreliable Chinese market. Aka the sequel could fail hard there.

25% from China isn't much. Literal peanuts.
Unless you do like a billion there, that would be profitable.

this right here. the budget numvers are highly inflated.

Unless the production company is based in China, that is. Like, say Activision.

legendary is an american studio owned by china. legendary thought being owned by china meant they'd see more of the china proceeds. China, instead, pocketed the standard cut and then sat legendary down and asked why warcraft under performed.