Alright can somebody fucking explain to me how a pisspoor island kingdom with barely any natural resources (especially...

Alright can somebody fucking explain to me how a pisspoor island kingdom with barely any natural resources (especially trees) can lose an entire naval fleet with all of its crew and yet still manage to rebuild and reman it whole?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Armada#Battle_of_Gravelines
youtube.com/watch?v=pYrRqMHQY7o
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

(In a matter of weeks months)

I don't know what happened in the show but, in the books, Euron comes back with a shit load of gold and treasure from his adventures.

Haha oh man imagine :)

I have no idea :)

They clearly used the power of the patriarchy

In the show things just happen, I believe they call it plot armor. Also the star of the show Jon Snow is already set to be king of westeros

Anything that happens with the other characters (except for Daenerys or however you spell it) doesn't matter, they're just filler.

GRRM can save the day by doing a 180 and killing him off in the first chapter of his next book. He can't let "them" win, they're trying to lead him by the nose. Trying to dictate the outcome of his own story

Considering what they shown previously that shitty "kingdom" could build at best 10-12 ships like this

It's fucking retarded SJW Fantasy show for pleb, what did you expect? Babylon 5?

Bad writing.

this kinda happened to Japan in the 1600s.

>Invade China / Korea
>Get REKT
>Lose alot of boats
>Korea / China smell blood
>Korea / China build a huge naval army
>sail to invade Japan
>get REKT by weather
>Japan survives to make hentai for all

so basically luck

Books decline as it is, but D&D also smear their lack of talent all over the script making Euron le evil chaotic man, and bad villains always pull resources out of thin air.
After s5-6 debacle I have my expectations as low as it gets, but it still gets to me how they cut characters left and right in order to squeeze in a goddamn sex scene with Grey Worm and Missandei.

sure the uk could but can northern island do it all by themselves

The iron islands are a bunch of rocks in the sea compared to Japan/ Britain

probably

no

Elizabeth's fleet still took many years to actually complete. It was a tremendous endeavor, entire landscapes were reformed in order to get materials for the ships. You needed legions of skilled shipwrights, large areas for shipyards, industry that supports the production of other materials for the ships, huge amounts of money.

>GRRM can save the day by doing a 180 and killing him off in the first chapter of his next book. He can't let "them" win, they're trying to lead him by the nose. Trying to dictate the outcome of his own story
Well he is actually still dead in the books, everybody believes that he will be revived as in the show but what if no.

Where did he come from in the show's continuity? In the books, wasn't he off galavanting and collecting presumably rare and valuable resources? He has all those magical artifacts. Like, he wins the support of the Iron Islands by telling them he has a magical dragon-taming horn that kills a dude or something stupid. What does he do in the show? He just comes back and wins because of his big cock?

Probably just commandeered a load of merchant ships and refit them

Yeah D&D clearly enjoy "cool" dialogues take over and don't know shit about "show don't tell" principle. Like how up your own ass and how much hate for the source material should you have to go "Horn? Original dialogues that are smart? Nah fuck dat noise, Imma write about his dick!"

In the books Euron amassed the greatest fleet in Westeros by raiding his way across the coast and capturing every ship they came across, even those weird Summer Isles swanships if I recall correctly, after already winning support from the ironborn by showing them magic and gold. Because that's how the ironborn work.

All they had to do in the show is have someone mention to Cersei or Sam that the Ironborn are raving their way across the coast on their way to King's Landing and then make the ships look mismatched, showing they were captured from lots of different ports. But D&D can't write their way out of a wet paperbag so instead we get Euron losing half the Ironborn because "muh cock" was his only argument and then they explain away the surfeit of ships by having him say "build me a fleet" before the season ended.

Britain had entire forests grown where the trees were shaped to be perfect for ship-building. The Iron Isles aren't even shown to have any trees at all beyond a lone weedy-looking thing on a cliff.

they could easily take as many trees as they wanted from off the coast. I doubt any lord is gonna raise his levy just to stop some tree bandits

Building a fleet of that size would require whole forests of wood, mountains of tar, and enough rope to wrap around westeros. Tge iron islands have no resources except rocks and salt water

>Ironborn invades your land and starts cutting down your trees, the only use of which they'd have is to build ships to raid you with later
>"eh, they're just stealing trees, let's let them be."

You'd be a fucking shit lord.

It's called trade. It's a bit of a weird concept that you will only ever learn from liberal minded Hillary voting hacks, but it lets you use things which you don't actually own, I know fucking weird right. Now I'm talking a little bit of /his/ here but there was this famous naval battle between the Spainkucks and Britbongs many years ago referred to as the 'Spanish Armada' where both side had ships made with wood that they had imported from the Baltics. Btw the 'Baltics' is that area around Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia, you should google them sometime, I hear they are turning into right wing nationalists, you could get on well with them.

The anniversary of the Battle of Gravelines is July 29th which lead to the Spanish Armada sinking in a freak storm.

Coincidence?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Armada#Battle_of_Gravelines

>It's called trade.
>Ironborn
>trading for ships
Stopped reading right there. Just shut the fuck up.

>powerful seafaring kingdom that has existed for thousands of years located in islands that have no forests

What did grrm mean by this?

They sailed on rocks during the age of the first men.

who wants to get killed over trees. not many skirmishes have been fought over trees. they're everywhere and block visibility around your castle.

They have forests, but not "making thousands of ships in a week" forests.

They used to have forrests, but cut them all down to build ships a long time ago, and they used to own large parts of the mainland.

And the Ironborn are easily the least powerful kingdom

>oh look my lord, the iron gardeners have arrived
>splendid, now we might finally get a good view on the land

P sure Yaras loyalists are of a smaller majority of the Ironborn overall than Eurons, considering he won the Kingsmoot.

Given the narrow timeframe that Theon and Yara and their loyalists could utilize to escape it stands to reason they were unable to steal a sizable fraction of the fleet, this combined with Eurons line "they stole our best ships" he never mentions most or all, just the best.

So given all that info it can be safe to assume that Euron is in possession of the vast majority of the Ironborns' fleet and that the ships they did build inbetween seasons 6 and 7 are to replace the best ships, hence the badass new flagships we see in season 7.

I think that makes sense.

you fuckin dumby

No one wants to be killed over trees. But it's either that or wait to get analraped every other week once they've had time to build the ships they're obviously going to build with the wood. You don't fucking let a people whose entire identity is "get ship, raid and rape" get materials to build ships.

Seriously, you're so stupid that if you were a lord you'd get strung up by your own peasants and the king wouldn't give a shit because it saved him the job of doing it.

so how many ships did each of the ironborn assholes have in the show

I remember someone said euron had like a thousand ships or something but that's fucking stupid because somebody said Balon had 200 in the first season

Do take in consideration that the last time they built a massive fleet was when Theon was a couple of years old. The trees just haven't had time to grow back, because that shit takes time when you need good timber for ships instead of just to burn it or to build a chair or some shit.

Back when they were actually a big power they also ruled the riverlands, which has plenty of trees.

I'd give them some land to farm and harvest, then kill them when their main force went off. my peasants would love me

Dunno, doesn't really matter though. Could have 10,000 ships and the plot would act as if that didn't matter when it came to it.

If we go with this theory it's more likely that the North was in no position to really bother with the Iron Islanders because of the chaos of war (they were missing tons of men) and then the Ramsay war fiasco. In the books there were a lot of displaced people heading towards White Harbor for protection, it might just be that they were able to steal ships and/or wood due to those circumstances.

i hate that you're right

They had 20 Good Men

a diversified strategy of trading iron mined from the iron islands for the the wood and already completed ships. they probably have a secret base (appropriately named shipkiller base) off the western on of the map full of reserve ships too.

We had lots of forests. :^}

UK is literally almost as big as Westeros.

what no? GRRM said it is about as big as South America

terrible

the UK had shitloads of forests you sperg. The Iron Islands are based on the western isles of scotland, shetland and orkney and the other old viking holdouts, all of which had and have very little forestation

Westeros is the size of South America, you fucking pleb.

Maybe that's the reason the Ironborn think they are still hot shit. Maybe they can pull boats out of their asses.
That would at least explain why noone said to Euron "Maybe we shouldn't build a giant army and raid everyone. I mean we tried that once and it basically crippled our kingdom". If you can summon boats out of thin air, why would it even matter?

>Spanish armada Bro
100 years to recover
>trifalger
Spain still hasn't recovered

Westeros is South Americ sized you retarded brainlet.

Wsteros is big as sound merica u fucking pussy fagg

Because they didn't lose an entire naval fleet and all it's crew

South America is Westeros sized you retarded shit.

what a faggot, Westeros is as big as South America

A well thought out tax policy, of course.

How'd he know that theon and co were headed to dorne? Did he read the script?

No dumb dumb, it's the size of south America

>got fags can't stick to their fucking general
This is why everyone hates you

Euron could have lifted whole fleets of sunken ships from the ocean floor with the help of the drowned god. outfitting them is just a minor feat.

He was stationed in Blackwater already.

Still this writing is dumb as shit

Looks like Yaras pinecone empire really bit her in the bum this time

He was watching Game of Thrones. Just like Hot Pie. That's how he knows everything the audience knows.

Are you fucking retarded? Scouts and shit. How do you think naval warfare was engaged in the past?
>Hurr how did Francis Drake know where the Spanish Armada would be?????

relevant

>An entire kingdom based on raiding
>If you actually want to help the economy with farming and what have you, you're considered a cuck
>Can somehow have enough money from raiding to support a fleet of warships and equipment

How does Dany not have any scout ships to watch out for hostile naval forces? Her entire army will be on ships where they're the most vulnerable.

I'm not a trained military officer, but why would Dany split her forces with Dorne/Highgarden marching from the south, the unsullied attacking the far west, and her dragons and dothraki on Dragonstone? I thought force concentration was a basic military tenant for millennia, divide and conquer. Splitting her forces allows the enemy to concentrate theirs and smash Dany's forces one by one.

Give it to me straight lads. Is this watchable or not?

I'm not giving one cent to the creators of this garbage sjw capeshit.

Man, how'd you know who's who if you just had a bunch of random ships floating around? Like, man, do you want to confuse the audience or make a compelling, action packed scene?

MEN WAE A TRADE

I think the point was to somehow make Euron look like the arrogant, misogynistic, asshole, and somewhat boorish, thug who is against his neice and nephew(for supporting her). That's the only thing I can do to rationalize his character on the show.

But the mongol invasions happened in 1281, the ming dynasty never invaded Japan just chucked them out of Korea.

Yea the iron islands still have a small foothold in the north so I assume thats where euron got the resources

The problem isn't really the lack of wood, user. It's the fact that you can't just slap together a fleet in a month. Espocially when you're building the fancy huge ships Euron is sailing with, instead of the viking-esque ships the ironborn is supposed to favour.

This picture makes me sad. Fuck global warming.

Same shape, but that does not mean they are the same size

>it takes all the armorers and artilleryists in Kings Landing round the clock work to make a single windlass to kill a dragon
>the iron island builds thousands of long range super accurate naval catapults to equip on their ships

What the fuck?

Neither is Dany..or Tyrion now that I think of it. Why did she listen him ? Kek Tyrion is not a good commander or general. He is just a good politician. The blackwater was a bit of beginners luck for him. Too bad she didn't have Jorah. She should have at least listened to Yara though.

I thought it was implied that he is making a shit load of them, not just one ballista.

Don't forget they were capable of catapulting FIRE-bombs that were big enough to immediately destroy entire masts/sails.

He told them to find any source of wood available, so as far as I know they took apart their houses, buggies, tools etc etc... anything with any lumber on it. The island probably looks Yellowstone after a giant forest fire now.

If westeros is the size of south america then the iron island are the size of the UK.

underrated

That's correct.

America retard South as big as Westeros

south America you. Fucking. OAF.

It's shit at this point. First few seasons are legitimately good, now they have a huge budget so the action scenes look incredible but it makes no sense anymore.

If the leaks are true, there's only one anti-dragon ballista at the dothraki/lannister battle. I guess it would make sense to build a bunch to set up at Kings Landing

>First few seasons

Literally only the first season is good.

>set enemy ship on fire from a safe distance
>proceed to ram and board said enemy ship while it's still on fire

Bold strategy

youtube.com/watch?v=pYrRqMHQY7o

/got/ in a nutshell. We know Got has gone to shit get over it

Your sense of history is horribly fucked. You confused the Mongol attempted invasion with the Japanese invasions of Korea in the 1600s

what is going on here?

I mean Euron SHOULD have bold strategies, but then they had him ride down on the bridge-thing instead of jumping between ships in full plate armour. You could hardly tell he was wearing chest-armour, either, because it was all dark like everything else.

Imagine the hype of the scene if they'd had a call of "SHIP TO STARBOARD!" or whatever to send Theon and Asha running up on deck and then they just see Silence gliding up next to them and Euron jumps between the ships decked in full armour head to toe and proceeds to hack his way through everyone because they're not wearing any armour at sea, with Asha and Theon having to retreat because they're not wearing armour either.

Well that would be fucking retarded and let's pray that it's one of the leaks that doesn't happen.
They have a much higher probability of striking a dragon in the eye or other weak point if that fire a bunch in multiple directions. Plus they will be able to do damage to ships and stuff.