Do you guys like Tintin?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zb-9TIr31i0
thetintinshop.uk.com/product-category/posters/book-cover-posters
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Of course we do OP

What time is it? Storytime!

Fuck man, this is a trip back down memory lane

I loved Tintin as a kid, right down to playing that shitty game of Tintin on PC.

Damn shame books like Tintin aren't around any more

Indeed I do. I grew up with Tintin, Lucky Luke and Asterix. I will buy them all at some point because they are still really fun and enjoyable. Even the tv-series was really good.

I might be a minority on this but I really didn't like the Tintin movie. Mashing in too much from different books and add extreme action scenes that just doesn't fit into the world. I was really excited for it but it turned out pretty bad imo.

Who the fuck doesn't like Tintin, and what's their address?

Yes. Read most of them at my School's library. It was so cash.

you know it baby

i don't. i love asterix, lucky luke, smurfs etc but could never get into pic related. i do love the blue lotus. it was the first tintin i read. i thought the rest were similar. oh boy. i couldn't get past the racist shit and the fragmented narration. either it didn't age well or i was too old for it.

Prisoners of the Sun was what got me into comics.

I do. My first exposure to it was the cartoon and then I read the comics. Man that intro is awesome.
youtube.com/watch?v=zb-9TIr31i0

Blue Lotus was anti-Japanese propaganda. Of course Herge had Chang to teach him what the hell was going on in China during that time.

Yes. There is a couple weak adventures (picaros comes to mind), but I think it depends on the sensibilities of the reader, since the books are pretty diverse.
That said, there's at least half a dozen pure masterpieces in the series (secret of the unicorn, destination moon, blue lotus, black gold,...)
And since herge was a maniac, sudying the symbolism and details inside the books are pretty fun to look at, like the secret society symbol from the cigars of the pharaoh changing shape depending on whether tintin has the upper hand or not.

And the cartoon was pretty good too.

Tried reading that exact volume once, couldn't get into it.

user i actually have the same one, in french as well, hanging over my book case.

bought it at a thrift store in nyc for $5

are there any more or is it just the blue lotus

The Japanese were scumbags during those times, they deserved it

they sell them in bookstores in my country.

I've seen many different covers. If I ever get more, I'll probably get the Pharaoh's Cigars one.

nice, i'll be on the lookout, thanks!

There's a Tintin shop that delivers framed posters if you live within the UK.

thetintinshop.uk.com/product-category/posters/book-cover-posters

Not until Haddock shows up.

I still own plenty of the volumes.

What did you guys think of the movie?

Yes, read and watched Tintin when I was a kid. I really like the cartoonish and lighthearted nature on this series but it also have a sense of seriousness. The art is great and the characters are great and memorable.

I don't think it quite captures the spirit of Tintin. Too much hazzle and I found the action too hectic. Otherwise I thought it was kind of okay.

Still have my French copy of Black Gold my dad gave me when I was a kid. Probably going to reread it now.
Eh, the animated intro was the best bit. A solid "meh": decent, but I doubt I'd ever watch it again.

>that time he blew up a fucking rhino
Guy is brutal

while its clear the creators had quite a bit of respect for Tintin, on the other hand the movie suffered from trying to hard to win the american audience which in the end failed

Tintin itself has more than sufficient popularity to justify essentially abandoning the 'states and focusing on the rest of the world by going even closer to the spirit of the comics

I personally hope there's sequels, Tintin is fairly well suited for movie releases, especially the double albums and I really want to see how they'd handle Calculus

Anyone else have the hardcover tintin collection with 2 stories and a bunch of background information on the stories and Hergé per book?

A true hero

I liked it, but they clearly aimed it at the US, which was unnecessary.

Also Haddock's face was too large for his body and it annoyed the hell out of me.

Still, I'd be down for a sequel.

I was gonna post a pic of the copies of King Ottakar's Sceptre and The Shooting Star that are in the house, but my phone isn't cooperating. We had Explorers on the Moon a long time ago, too, but I can't find it.
They're the Methuen versions, but I don't know if anything in those books was changed.

raaaciiiismmmm!!!11

the only folks it could be considered racist against were the Japanese in that they were portrayed fairly stereotypical

However given the political situation Hergé was tackling with this album it is not entirely unjustified, especially not in the light of what would happen just a few years post-publication.

The chinese on the other hand are painted in a very positive light and it even contains a scene where Tintin and Tchang laugh about the various stereotypes their races have of eachother.

>which in the end failed
u wot? I thought it was a hit or something.

It was a financial success, but far from a hit.

domestic gross of $77,591,831
foreign gross of $296,402,120

it did pretty well, but you can clearly see WHERE it did pretty well

Isn't that pretty much how all movies do these days?

Except Cuntbusters...

Domestic: $121,984,771 62.9%
+ Foreign: $71,801,306 37.1%

And that is the best of Tintin albums. A mature story about the horrors of japanese and colonial occupation of China

guess bland comedy carried by feminism doesn't have an appeal in most of the world, who knew

Hell and death. Land of the Soviets is 141 pages.

>Footfags.jpg

I think Haddock may have a problem guys

tintin is sinsin

Nonsense. He's the President of the Society of Sober Sailors.

He clearly wants to fuck Tintin's tight boipussy.

I stole own thanks to my grandmother two very old Tintin books, Tintin au Congo not in perfect shape but still good looking from 1930 and another big one like a dictionary, there are both somewhere but kinda late to search for them. Both in french

I think Brian Doyle-Murray would make a great Captain Haddock voice