AND THE ACADEMY AWARD FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE GOES TO

AND THE ACADEMY AWARD FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE GOES TO...

Other urls found in this thread:

theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/03/oscar-voters-94-white-76-men-and-an-average-of-63-years-old/284163/
oscars.org/news/academy-takes-historic-action-increase-diversity
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It'll be one of the Disney ones. The Academy openly does not even watch most of the animated nominees and just votes Disney because it's the safe pick.

This. But Dory is a sequel and Oscars tend to have a thing against sequels. So Zootopia or Moana.

What's the "Chinese Crap" at the top?

It's going to go to Finding Dory because it has lesbians in it sorta.

Zootopia

What movie is that in the top row on the right? It looks interesting.

I really want it to be either zootopia or kubo.

in 2011 Rango won and they totally snubbed Cars 2 out of a nomination (deservedly)
A Disney movie will probably win this year, the only question is which one (especially since Moana's quality has yet to be seen)
Kubo deserves it

Really wanna know now

that miniature dory fish is not cute, they think it looks cute but its not cute.

Moana. it's a princess/doll movie of course it will win.

The Red Turtle, dialogue-less French-Belgian movie animated by Studio Ghibli

>implying there is any doubt that Zootopia wins

I honestly expect Finding Dory to win, even though I feel Zootopia was better.

Thank you

Zootopia has a big online fanbase but Disney will be pushing harder for both Moana and Finding Dory, they're more awards-baity. Especially since Moana will probably be a forced marketing blitz with a pop song single to try to re-create the success of Frozen

>all these anons in denial of Sausage Party
>the delicious bitch tears when it happens

Zootopia should win, but Finding Shit will.

>implying that The Academy will ever acknowledge adult animation

Soooo salty.

It's pretty damn edgy, and most Academy voters are over 60 years old.
I don't think a lot of them would take too kindly to some of the content
Also yeah as stated previously most members don't respect or bother to watch the animated movies and just pick the Disney one

Zootopia or Finding Dory, the voters only watch what they take their kids and grandkids to watch in this category.

Laika has been gaining a lot of popularity in terms of the critic's circle. I am actually 100% sure Kubo will win unless Moana reaches Frozen levels of fame.

>"""adult"""

Zootopia had a lot of word of mouth to help it though
but at the same time so did Lego Movie.

Zootopia obvs, or maybe Moana. Finding Dory is a sequel so it loses. Kubo and Turtle never stood a chance. They only nominate 5 films so Sausage Party will never happen.

Anomalisa lost last year (and was the first R-Rated film to be nominated), what makes you think that Sausage Party would win or even be nominated?

But user, the Academy would never nominate a movie trying to indoctrinate America's children with the harmful ideals of Shintoism!

Anomalisa got a nom.

Critics like them, but most Academy members are out of touch with animation as a whole. Kubo might be a big enough hit to get crossover attention and end up on year-end lists if it's REALLY damn good (isn't out here yet so I don't know if it is), which might help it's chances, but otherwise they really do usually just give it to Disney without any critical thinking

And what makes you think that Sausage Party would be considered at the same level as that?

Charlie Kaufman was already a respected live-action filmmaker with a previous win, and it's a drama.
Sausage Party is a raunchy comedy that does not deserve a nomination.

>It's pretty damn edgy, and most Academy voters are over 60 years old.
Really? I mean it makes sense, but is that officially released information?

>Laika has been gaining a lot of popularity in terms of the critic's circle
>a lot of popularity in terms of the critic's circle
>in terms of the critic's circle
>the critic's circle
>critic

Who on Earth do you think is in charge of handing out Oscars? I can tell you right now, it ain't critics.

The only advantage it has is that almost none of the Academy voters actually watch the animated category movies for themselves, where as Sausage Party could not possibly be a movie they were dragged to by their kid.
It is however a comedy, a Seth Rogan movie, and looks like something most Academy voters would not choose. The made for adults reasoning didn't help Anomalisa either.

Yes
theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/03/oscar-voters-94-white-76-men-and-an-average-of-63-years-old/284163/

only reason cars 2 won is because it was quite simply not a good movie
if it had been decent it'd have won regardless of Rango's quality, because academy award judges are ancient pricks who pretty much conspire to keep animated movies away from "real cinema" as much as possible

I'd say Moana because it's the most progressive.

It pushes boundaries. It's like when Crash won Best Picture, it didn't win because it was the best film of the year, it won because it was the first film to feature black people.

didn't win rather, but the point is obvious

It's not 'Oscar Bait' like Crash was.

This, if critical acclaim had much impact The Lego Movie definitely would have been nominated

>In a 2015 re-polling of Academy members, Brokeback Mountain was voted Best Picture over Crash and the other 2005 nominees.

South Park got nominated for Best Song for whatever little that's worth. It was also before "Best Animated Movie" was a category

Considering Zootopia is like the best reviewed movie of 2016, I say it's a lock.

The Lego Movie did make $469.2 million worldwide.
Doesn't that count for something?
>They lost to Phil Collins
>Two episodes of Season 4 make fun of him
kek

The options for original song are generally pretty limited, plus that stuff is voted on specifically by the music wing of the Academy rather than everybody

Eh, neither is that good.

But this category is largely about the studio's targeted advertising push and popularity.
Zootopia did well, much better than Disney seems to have expected in fact, but Moana is the next addition to the princess empire. They will be placing their bets on that one, unless Zootopia's subtextual message appeals to them

For as fucking stupid the Academy is they pay attention to Disney, and will judge which is the better Disney movie

So it will boil down to Disney vs. Disney

>Disney vs. Disney
Technically it's Disney vs. Disney vs. Pixar.

only reason the Lego Movie didn't win is cause none of the judges wanted to "lower themselves" to watch an animated movie about a toy

despite it being a damn good movie, especially compared to its competitors

An animated sequel won't win.

And the Pixar movie was a sequel, which slightly hurts it's chances, though it was a huge hit, more than anyone in this thread seems to have realized.

>none of the judges wanted to "lower themselves" to watch an animated movie about a toy
So why was Toy Story 3 nominated for Best Picture?

If fucking Brave can win over Wreck-It Ralph, then Pixar still has a chance.

the first Toy Story was nominated for Best Original Screenplay
They adore Pixar

>nominated

Does that even mean a thing?

Wouldn't it be better to try to increase the reputation and prestige of something like the Annies instead of fighting an uphill battle to get the Oscars to recognize animation as legitimate?

Because it wasn't blatantly branded

>the reputation and prestige of the Pixies

nah, not even Sup Forums cares about it

Toy Story 3 was at the end of Pixar's years of consecutive Oscar wins (2007-2010), and Toy Story had at that point become one of the most well-received movie trilogies ever.

The Academy does occasionally give out awards for consistent quality even if it's in a genre they usually don't award period, like how Return of the King swept an entire year.

The LEGO Movie simply didn't have the build-up that Toy Story 3 did.

Brave was an original movie, while Wreck-It-Ralph had a Sonic cameo.

That is the only reason Brave won.

THE SONIC CURSE LIVES ON

a Michael Dudok de Wit collab with Ghibil is prett fucking safe too. Its even more safe than Disney because it doesnt have the burden on commerciality.

Forgot to mention that Pixar was one of the main reasons why they increased the Best Picture nominees. Everyone complained about Wall-E and The Dark Knight getting snubbed in the same year, so they raised the number of nominees to give Genre shit some praise without risking the chance of films they actually want to win.

>one in a million chance tier:
some foreign film Sup Forums didn't even bother to talk about
The red turtle
>Too good to be true tier
Kubo and 2 strings
>Disney under dog tier:
Dory
>What will actually happen tier:
Zootopia
Monoa
>"Animation was a mistake" tier:
Sausage party

That's because there have been other films featuring black people released since 2005, so Crash doesn't look as good in retrospect, while Brokeback Mountain remains the only feature-length film about homosexuals.

>Caring about the academy awards

If I wanted to watch a bunch of old guys circlejerk I'd resubscribe to sexygeezers.com.

Post yfw by some crazy chance Kubo wins and Disney shits their pants

That was back in 2014. After the last Oscars, when everyone made a thing about the lack of blacks, they changed the membership rules so that more hip young people could vote.

oscars.org/news/academy-takes-historic-action-increase-diversity

And hip young people love the wit and charm of Seth Rogen.

For better or worse they do matter, as far as what films get made and their legacy in history. Unlike the Grammys they're considered somewhat prestigious still.

Lin Manuel Miranda has to complete his EGOT

The hell are those chinese freakin crap on top right and bottom left? Get, that ching chong crap outta here

I want Sausage Party to win just to see all the delicious tears

The salt would be so yummy

>Disney 3-way battle
>votes are split
>Sausage Party sneaks in and gets it

t. Academy Voter

>only reason cars 2 won is because it was quite simply not a good movie
You do realize that Despicable Me 2 was nominated right? You do realize that fucking Happy Feet WON 10 years back right?

>Not thinking it's the best shit ever

Cars 2 was indeed worse than both

Despicable Me 2 atleast had cute girls. And you know all those jews at the academy are longtime pedos, right?

That film deserves to be remembered just as a crystallization of early 2000's American culture